good art and bad art?

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Re: good art and bad art?

Post by Hereandnow »

But, cavacava, the proof is in the pudding: Some things are inherently superior to others just by virtue of their aesthetic affect. Hard to argue such a thing, just as it is hard to argue about the objectivity of ethics and value, but once apprehended, the quality is simply apparent in the experience itself. I have gone different ways on this, sometimes just to be contrary, but in the end, I think some aesthetic experiences are simply better than others IFF the issue is MUSIC and about beauty and not complicated by other content (making a political statement, culturally significant, and the like).
But when it comes to the complex examples you mention, Casablanca, Warhol, Rockwell, these are examples of VISUAL art, and as such are embedded in a broad range of representational possibilities (unlike music which is representationally weak) that thrust art into the world at large, and here, among images and ideas of living and breathing, it gets cluttered with non artistic content. This is exactly why art appreciation in the visual arts is so complicated: The eye is so much more cognitive than the ear (that is, auditory aesthetic, not language, of course), you might say. And the formal aesthetic properties cannot be isolated. What is Warhol without the postmodern crisis of the trivialization of the individual; what is Casablanca without WWII contexts? Not at all like Bach, is it? Bach may take orientation, but it is not so much ideational orientation.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow »

Greta:
If we remove our "goggles of judgement" and don our "David Attenborough lenses" then we observe that psychopaths are just predators and parasites. We live in a competitive concrete jungle and the apex predators naturally found their niches. People looking up to their psychopath leaders are largely akin to smaller African species fearing and respecting lions.
Keep in mind that there has been recent speculation that being a psychopath or sociopath is the hallmark of being a good surgeon, or whatever requires explicit control in otherwise stressful conditions: Without the sensitivity of humanity and empathy, the psychopath is well suited to things other would have a hard time with. Also, I think conservatives thinking is mostly like this, trying to make things great at the cost of the least advantaged. They think nothing of using others as means rather than as ends. the scary part is, this actually does produce results. It is much, much easier to make money if you don't have to worry about the tired, poor, huddled masses.

China does this with the environment and has been a long time; just take a trip to Beijing and see... oh, wait, the US does this too, now that we have a moron in office.
cavacava

Post by cavacava »

Some things are inherently superior to others just by virtue of their aesthetic affect.
So then the intensity of the affect of a work of art determines its value in relative to a listener, a reader, or a viewer. You suggest that these intensities
... are inherently superior to others just by virtue of their aesthetic affect.
and you go on to suggest that in music the value of a works intensity is easier to discern. How does one sort out these intensities? And how does intensity of feeling entail objective reality.
People have intense feelings for all kinds of art. Are people who swoon at the sight of a Thomas Kincade 'inherently superior' to a person nonplussed by Picasso's Guernica? Does Schonberg's 12 tone have inherently less value because its aesthetic affect is more theoretic and is intensively less felt?

What is Warhol without the postmodern crisis of the trivialization of the individual; what is Casablanca without WWII contexts? Not at all like Bach, is it?
I don't think the ideal state you suggest is real or possible
IFF the issue is MUSIC and about beauty and not complicated by other content
. Works of art always have precedents, which are always presented in some context, regardless of age, content, medium and so on. Even John Cage's silence had a context and a history.
Charlemagne
Favorite Philosopher: Chesterton

Post by Charlemagne »

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, right?

And there's the rub. If the beholder is not a fully developed human, it's possible that something passing for a work of art will please, whereas for a fully developed person it might seem unworthy to be called art. So yes, there is good and bad art, there are people with enormously different life experiences who will approach the same work of art, some calling it good, some calling it bad. In truth, the final judge is usually history. The bad art will perish as it should. The good art will last beyond its time. The great art will last forever unless some fool deliberately destroys it.
Xenophon

Post by Xenophon »

LuckyR wrote: May 16th, 2018, 2:52 am
kordofany wrote: May 16th, 2018, 1:54 am If artistic tasting is a purely personal matter, how do we divide art into bad art and good art?
Purely personally?
I have spent about 1/3 of my life well away from the U.S./West. A lot of locales still exist where the sense of what is art is in large part collective. A certain shared consensus indexed to shared history/ethnicity. Arguably the "purely personal" standard for what is art represents a breakdown more than it does liberation.
"Mankind has no destiny. Only some men do: to recover lost divinity."---Miguel Serrano
popeye1945
Favorite Philosopher: Alfred North Whitehead

Post by popeye1945 »

Art is the artist trying to communicate an experience to you, to present you with a means of having a particular experience. I suppose it could be said to be bad art if the artist fails in his/her endeavor to evoke a feeling and/or understanding out of the viewer or listener. It could be that it is bad art because technically the exhibit was not skillful, while still evoking the intended feelings and/or understanding or vice versa. Art is communication and like all communication it can be as bad in as many ways as any other form of communication can be. Art like many other things involves the skills necessary for the making of a functioning whole, for example, one could use the template of song structure in the writing of a short story, both are but the making of a whole. So, art can be bad due to a lack of skill and/or the lack of success in evoking or directing the listener or viewer to a desired experience.
Lagayscienza
Favorite Philosopher: Hume Nietzsche

Post by Lagayscienza »

I guess Hereandnow is right about it being easier with music. If music is about beauty "and not complicated by other content (making a political statement, culturally significant, and the like)" then I think beauty is a criterion by which I can judge music. Bach's music is, to me, just sublimely beautiful. I love its rationality and its architecture. Beethoven's music runs a close second for its beauty, drama and pathos. But then, others hate such music and think heavy metal is beautiful. WRT visual arts such as painting, it's much harder for me to judge. I hate pretty paintings that could serve as pictures for chocolate boxes. But that's sort of a cultural thing - there's been some learning involved in my tastes in painting, and it's also due, in part, to the fact that photography can do that sort of thing better than painters these days. I think there's something in what popeeye1945 said about the artist trying to communicate some "feeling" to the viewer. A painting might succeed on that basis but, again, a lot will depend on viewers who may like a painting (or not) for all sorts of idiosyncratic reasons that won't necessarily have much to do with aesthetics. So, when I boil it down, I guess it all depends on what a viewer or listener is looking for. And, very importantly, and what they are open to. A lot of people just know what they like, and what they like can often be just what they know. In the end, we cannot objectively fault people's tastes any more than we can objectively prove that an action is morally right or wrong. I guess it all boils down to our subjective aesthetic feelings and our moral intuitions.
La Gaya Scienza
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Morally wrong, is when one intently makes another creature's life more difficult than it otherwise need be. Such an act/reaction is devoid of identifying with others, devoid of compassion, and thus, devoid of all morality. This applies to all creatures. The rest of your post, EXCELLENT!
Lagayscienza
Favorite Philosopher: Hume Nietzsche

Post by Lagayscienza »

I pretty much agree with you about morality, popeye1945. The difficulty is in proving objectively that I am right.
La Gaya Scienza
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Lagayscienza wrote: January 26th, 2024, 10:48 am I pretty much agree with you about morality, popeye1945. The difficulty is in proving objectively that I am right.
There is nothing objective about morality, it is entirely subjective, on an individual level, and a collective subjective level. Those it does not work for are psychopaths or varying levels. Intent is all important, and remembering that moralities proper subject is always the security and wellbeing of a conscious subject.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

The meaning of 'good art' and 'bad art' depends . A definitively good work of art is evaluated according to some criterion that respected critics agree on. We are free to disagree with the critics. However our subjective opinion will not be respected unless it's well argued.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Does it not depend upon how effective it is in content, in context, and the skill of its deliver. Does the artist succeed through his/her particular medium? Good point though Belinda, depends on the authoritative collective because it is directed at a collective.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

popeye1945 wrote: January 28th, 2024, 11:59 am Does it not depend upon how effective it is in content, in context, and the skill of its deliver. Does the artist succeed through his/her particular medium? Good point though Belinda, depends on the authoritative collective because it is directed at a collective.
Maybe the ultimate authority is the maker of the work of art. In that case the performance of Bach could be a lot less good than that of a skilled performer of the work.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

kordofany wrote: May 16th, 2018, 1:54 am If artistic tasting is a purely personal matter, how do we divide art into bad art and good art?
Not all aspects of art are purely subjective
It is perfectly possible to apply objective criteria to many aspects.
In sculpture the persuit of accuracy in shape and form is essential to the creation of believable statues and busts of recognisable persona, animals and items of a geometric nature.
Much the same can be said of 2D art espacially as found in portraiture where a likeness to the subject is very important.
There are also more esoteric factors such as balance and adherence to the golden ratio, which if understood can offer the viewer of the art recognisable qualities that are thought to be universal.

Recognition of such things can give an indication of the skill and the personal engagement of the artist to their craft.
For my money the value of a good artist is where such qualities exist,
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

popeye1945 wrote: January 26th, 2024, 10:19 am Morally wrong, is when one intently makes another creature's life more difficult than it otherwise need be. Such an act/reaction is devoid of identifying with others, devoid of compassion, and thus, devoid of all morality. This applies to all creatures. The rest of your post, EXCELLENT!
How do you excuse your own behaviour in this respect.
Every vegetable you eat makes you reseponsible for the deaths of potantially thousands of insects.
THe land used for pasture could other wise be home to other living things, and the highway you drive on was once the territoriy of afully funcitonisn ecosystem.
Yet you intend to live on in this civilisation which is slowly destroying the world and all that would otherised have a happy life in the absence of the human disease.

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream