Philosophical Films

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Grecorivera5150
Favorite Philosopher: Bruce Lee

Re: Philosophical Films

Post by Grecorivera5150 »

Into the Wild, When Nietzsche Wept, A Dangerous Method, The Grey, ect..
Deleet
Favorite Philosopher: Norman Swartz

Post by Deleet »

Grecorivera5150
Favorite Philosopher: Bruce Lee

Post by Grecorivera5150 »

I just saw Jeff At Home and it was a good examination of oneself in relation to one's concept of fate and their place in the universe. An underlying theme to me was the concept of awareness and how it can impact an individual's existence. It gets the wheels turning!
A Poster He or I
Favorite Philosopher: Anaximander

Post by A Poster He or I »

From the recommendations of those on this thread, I watched "The Man from Earth" last night and completely enjoyed it. Although I thought some of the particulars stemming from the basic premise could have been handled more powerfully, overall the film succeeds in indicting many of our presumptions about history and knowledge in a nice underhanded, understated manner.
XavierAlex

Post by XavierAlex »

Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut" resonated with me in very philosophical implications, I think. While I've tried to put into words every square inch of the film, I can't.

I think, thematically, the middle-class doctor whose wife makes jealous and propels him into the "seedy underbelly" of society--is itself worth noting. This underbelly has prostitutes, pimps, an orgy, etc. But the real treatment as with Kubrick is the tempo and pace, like Clockwork or The Shining (Also my other fav, Barry Lyndon).

I think Tom Cruise (an apt choice, in my opinion) is the witness to these experiences, and his responses as a self-absorbed house doctor create tensions of emotions of lust and jealous, driving obsessions to far lengths. But because he has never stepped foot into these rooms his reactions are contrived.

I could go on and on. I believe Kubrick personally was atheistic, so there's an underlying tension too with Christmastime and Christmas lights everywhere.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Forgetting all the schmalz, The Fountainhead was also very interesting. I also liked the dialog, especially Gary Cooper's big speech as if he were an Old Testament prophet whose principals are completely impervious to compromise because he knows he's right. Or to paraphrase an old Persian proverb, He knows that he knows!
Fimbulthul

Post by Fimbulthul »

Spirited Away.

This movie gives me chills every time I see it. You have to be at least a teen to understand some of the meanings of it. I know the first time I watched it I was about eleven, and had no idea what was going on. Then I watched it again at fifteen...the paper people attacking Haku... It's an amazing movie about a ten year old girl who is sullen about moving to a new place and leaving her friends. Then, her father takes a wrong turn and stops at what he thinks is an abandoned theme park. I think it is actually a 'train station', or a passage between our world and that of the spirits. From there, the movie will make you laugh, cry, and scream.
Grotto19
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by Grotto19 »

Many excellent movies have already been mentioned. I would like to add a few.

Dogma- Kevin smith,1999. Excellent and interesting perspective on the state of world religions.

Sample Quote: (note the he referred to by Rufus mentions is God which he knows personally)

Rufus: He still digs humanity, but it bothers Him to see the **** that gets carried out in His name - wars, bigotry, televangelism. But especially the factioning of all the religions. He said humanity took a good idea and, like always, built a belief structure on it.

Bethany: Having beliefs isn't good?

Rufus: I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea. Changing a belief is trickier...

Usual Suspects-Bryan Singer,1995. Demonstration of the power of fear driven myths.

Sample Quote:

Verbal: The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist....

Dave Kujan: Do you believe in him Verbal? (referring to a crime boss named Keyser Soze who is implied to also be the devil)

Verbal: Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze."
Stormy

Post by Stormy »

Highlander...in the end the prize is one life.
Perderder
New Trial Member

Post by Perderder »

Waiting for Godot is a very strange foreign film that I think is very philosophical. It's very obscure and it can be repetitive at times. Very interesting.
Aventurero
New Trial Member

Post by Aventurero »

Invictus_88 wrote: For deeper and more challenging types of thought, perhaps we could consider 'Ma Mere', or 'Irreversible'. (Not recommended for young or immature audiences, those with delicate sensibilities, the easily offended, the nervous, or those with upsetting sexual histories.)
"Irreversible" is rough. When I saw it I couldn't wuite figure out if it was over my limits of what was acceptable to show in a movie. But it does have some interesting philosophical aspects about how we feel about vengeance of a crime, of which we do not yet know the brutality.

Sean Penn's "Into the Wild" has already been mentioned and is probably one of my favorite movies of all time.

Mr. Nobody is an intereseting film, which plays a lot with our concept of time and choices. The end offers a set of different interpretations, which can lead to good conversations about whether we desire unlimited knowledge of where our decision will lead us or there is a limit to where it is still useful.

In the older genre, I really enjoyed High Noon from 1952. In many ways it is just a good old time western shootout film, but I do think it portrays a dark side of humanity very well. The Sheriff has protected the village for several years with his life at stake and then when he needs the villagers help once, they all coward away. Each has a different excuse that they believe justifies them from relieving themselves of the task at hand. But then again, could the sheriff ask this favor, as it was his job to defend the village throughout all those year? That can spark some good conversations. :-)
Mlw
Favorite Philosopher: Augustine of Hippo

Post by Mlw »

This is my new article about some of the central themes that Swedish film director Ingmar Bergman (1918 - 2007) returns to in his films.

Keywords: wild strawberries, the personal paradise, unconscious suffering, Eurydice, scapegoatism, vicarious suffering, Christianity.

Bergman themes

Mats Winther
Kibera
New Trial Member

Post by Kibera »

I think it's worth mentioning David Lynch in this post. Even though his films are not strictly philosophical, they do delve deep into a multitude of human psyches and themes...definitely an inspiration for discussion & thought, not to mention they're all ridiculously fantastic to watch :)

-- Updated September 24th, 2012, 12:24 am to add the following --

- and for an anime pitch, Akira. It still boggles my mind to this day.
PiloteXYZ
New Trial Member

Post by PiloteXYZ »

Just went to see Rian Johnson's new film Looper which I believe would qualify in terms of having philosophical content revolving around the issue of how personality is shaped through a series of evolving and built upon actions. Since it's a new film I don't want to reveal too much here, in terms of plot, but I would highly recommend it. It's an innovative take on time travel and yet the focus is more on character development (particularly in the second half) than on the mechanics of time travel itself.
Homicidal Pacifist

Post by Homicidal Pacifist »

Here's a 20 minute philosophical film made by your's truly. "Boycott Brutality"
"There is one thing stronger than all the armies of the world,
and that is an idea whose time has come."

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream