Philosophical Films

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Simply Wee
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Re: Philosophical Films

Post by Simply Wee »

Labyrinth....."Sometimes the way forward, is the way back". "One door tells the truth, the other tells lies...'I tell the truth, he lies'...No I don't..such a liar!" A remarkable film, and one not to forget.
"Men are not disturbed by things, but the view they take of things".
PiloteXYZ
New Trial Member

Post by PiloteXYZ »

It's a tad difficult to be both homicidal and a pacifist non?
Homicidal Pacifist

Post by Homicidal Pacifist »

PiloteXYZ -

It's extremely difficult to persevere towards goodness
when you are often inclined to be cruel.

Any thoughts on the film?
PaulNZ
Favorite Philosopher: Marcus Aurelius

Post by PaulNZ »

Mr Nobody.

It covers several topics but ultimately it's about multiple universes and the effects of the main characters differing choices in each. It's free on You Tube so if you want a look, go see.

:wink:
T-RAY

Post by T-RAY »

"The Holy Mountain" by Alejandro Jodorowsky is a masterpiece.
Supine

Post by Supine »

I really liked the movie Matrix. My understanding is the film was based on Buddhist metaphysics. So far as I can tell it did an excellent job presenting that area and tradition of thought.
Grotto19 wrote: Dogma- Kevin smith,1999. Excellent and interesting perspective on the state of world religions.
About as excellent as the American classic A birth of a nation. But I'll give it its due as a triumphant effort at propaganda. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9UPOkIpR0A But I like how bigotry and caricature pose as high minded philosophizing on film. You might as well put that moronic and bigoted film Stigmata up there too.

From a stand point of sociology a "group" is several people that know each other while the sociological locution of "category" demotes people that share a common characteristic. Examples of a category of people would be: Whites, blacks, women, homosexuals, Muslims, Catholics, Republicans...

I'm mulatto racially but ethnically Black-American. I also fall under the categories of American and Catholic and male. Of the latter three American and male have probably proved the most violent over the last century. But more importantly between whites and Catholicism (a religion) arguably whites have been the most violent, territorial, and the ones that established racial caste systems across the earth. Ought the Nation of Islam (a neo-Islamic Black-American organization and religion) caricature white people? Well... they do. And they take their bigoted views of whites to be very intellectual and solid truth.
Ciel
New Trial Member

Post by Ciel »

Bergman's Persona, Tarkovskiy's Stalker, and Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey are films I recommend from already mentioned directors. However to save from repetition, I'll digress a bit and mention the French director Jean-Luc Godard. It would seem odd not to discus Godard (or any other directors of the Nouvelle Vague movement) when discussing philosophy in and of film. His standing influence and relentless manipulation of the medium's aesthetic conventions alone are remarkable from a purely artistic standpoint. What is more is Godard did all this to further examine various philosophical inquires. True, he was using cinema to convey his philosophy, yet one could argue the true aim of his projects was to use cinema to express the medium's philosophy and the extent at which it (as an art form) could be used as philosophical and artistic merit--namely what does film, being a composition of all the arts, have to say? I believe he succeeded at his goal. However, he is not a better filmmaker than Bergman, Tarkovskiy, or Kubrick. Nor is he a better or worse artist, but a different kind of artist.

This can be said between them all. To me, Godard is best compared to Bob Dylan. Some of his films I would consider watching are Breathless, A Woman Is a Woman, Vivre sa vie, Contempt, Pierrot Le Feu, Week End, Made in U.S.A. Of these, Pierrot Le Feu is arguably the most philosophical and for what it is worth, my favorite Godard film.
Blazing Donkey
Favorite Philosopher: Voltaire

Post by Blazing Donkey »

My list:

- Lost Highway
- Tideland
- City of God
- The Killing Fields
- Schindler's List
- Pan's Labyrinth
- Amores Peros
- Pink Floyd: The Wall
- Priest
- One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
- A Clockwork Orange
- Equilibrium
- Cube
- The Holy Mountain
- Full Metal Jacket
- Paprika
- Forrest Gump
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
- No Direction Home
- We Were Warriors
- The Royal Tennenbaums
- Naked Lunch
- Brazil
- Big Fish
- Donnie Darko
- The Matrix series
- Casablanca
- Pulp Fiction
- Logan's Run
- Blade Runner
- Seven Days in May
- Up
- Inland Empire
- City of Lost Children
- Existenz
- A.I.
- Galipoli
- The Island
- Zardoz
- The Confederate States of America
No man is an island, but if you tie a bunch of dead guys together they make a pretty good raft.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

If anyone has the time and inclination to watch a movie now on the Internet that inspires meaningful thought, try "Mindwalk."

It is available on youtube. Here are the basics:

http://www.philfilms.utm.edu/1/mindwalk.htm
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
Blazing Donkey
Favorite Philosopher: Voltaire

Post by Blazing Donkey »

Nick_A wrote:If anyone has the time and inclination to watch a movie now on the Internet that inspires meaningful thought, try "Mindwalk."
Ugh!! I saw that on DVD. Horrible.

The people ramble on without ever coming to a point. It's worse than watching "The Power of Myth" with Bill Moyers.
No man is an island, but if you tie a bunch of dead guys together they make a pretty good raft.
Fleetfootphil

Post by Fleetfootphil »

Do you think that movies and photography made traditional artforms, such as painting and drawing, pointless in the current time and, as a result, artists were forced to move away from the physical and into the area of art as idea? We need something to blame : )

Movies don't don't do much for me philosophically, they just waste my brain energy while I watch colored light move on a wall or pictels on a screen. The things that happen, as a result, are self-accepted delusion by and in my brain. None of it is real and any philosophical thoughts are mine.
Edo
New Trial Member

Post by Edo »

Terrence Malick's Badlands deserves mention here. It shows the gap between the way we can think, use words, and create symbols, and the way we actually live our lives. It is not pretentious, following Pascal's idea that to make light of philosophy is to be a true philosopher. I've never seen a movie that made me so conscious of how inadequate our words are to convey what we are trying to do with our lives. Beyond all that, it has a beautiful score and is quite funny.
Tor_Hershman
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Tor_Hershman »

Vojos wrote:Hello there!

As far as i know there aren't any similar topics on this site regarding this subject.

I think it would be nice to have a thread where you could post different movies you have watched and enjoyed, that takes upon some specific philosophical subject(s).

I can begin with one example:

The Seventh Seal, by Ingmar Bergman;

Philosophical issues: Religious philosophy.

It's set in Sweden during the plague in the 14th century. It's about a knights search for answers regarding life and death and the existence of God, during a dark era in human history. It highlights some of religions shortcomings in a great way.

A lot of you have probably seen this film already, but if you would be so kind to post any films you find relevant from a philosophical point of view, and you believe is really worth seeing, that would be great!
Moi just lovey-doveys Bergman's TSS. I'd really dig dubbing it into English. YIKES! I'm a-gonna go & google to see if anyone's done did that.

Methinks one of the most atheistic films is "The Song of Bernadette," starring Vincent Price.

I found it in English. Thank you, Vojos.
Eonblue

Post by Eonblue »

I watched The Master by Paul Thomas Anderson this weekend...3 times. First I would like to confess that I now have a man crush on PTA. This movie is truly a work of art. The color palette always evokes the emotional nature of the scene. Some of the shot are so beautiful that I almost felt like I was watching a collection of paintings that could move. Brilliant! The movie is also philosophical provocative. The first 20 minutes of the movie is very visceral. The main character Freddie played by Joaquin Phoenix is very primitive in nature and almost completely dominated by a desire for pleasure. By chance or destiny he drunkenly hides on a ship and passes out. The ship sets sails in his slumber and he is stuck. The boat is occupied by a cult run by Lancaster Dodd who is played by Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Dodd represents the next stage of human evolution. One no longer dominated by desire but who uses logic to master his environment. These two men form an unlikely partnership. This movie is an exploration of human nature and our motivations. I recommend it and any other PTA film.
Grotto19
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by Grotto19 »

Supine wrote:I really liked the movie Matrix. My understanding is the film was based on Buddhist metaphysics. So far as I can tell it did an excellent job presenting that area and tradition of thought.

(Nested quote removed.)

About as excellent as the American classic A birth of a nation. But I'll give it its due as a triumphant effort at propaganda. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9UPOkIpR0A But I like how bigotry and caricature pose as high minded philosophizing on film. You might as well put that moronic and bigoted film Stigmata up there too.

From a stand point of sociology a "group" is several people that know each other while the sociological locution of "category" demotes people that share a common characteristic. Examples of a category of people would be: Whites, blacks, women, homosexuals, Muslims, Catholics, Republicans...

I'm mulatto racially but ethnically Black-American. I also fall under the categories of American and Catholic and male. Of the latter three American and male have probably proved the most violent over the last century. But more importantly between whites and Catholicism (a religion) arguably whites have been the most violent, territorial, and the ones that established racial caste systems across the earth. Ought the Nation of Islam (a neo-Islamic Black-American organization and religion) caricature white people? Well... they do. And they take their bigoted views of whites to be very intellectual and solid truth.
I am not sure how you connected Dogma from a satire displaying the folly of the aggression between world religions into a serious piece of propaganda (particularly since there is a series of disclaimers at the beginning of the film saying otherwise). Moreover you have somehow also connected it heavily to racism, which is remarkable since the movie makes several points against racism particularly relating to religion.

I realize that most of the films listed in this thread regard metaphysics, and in that regard are quite complex and interesting (very highbrow at times). However for all that they are also largely useless as they have no application in the real world. I enjoy depth as much as the next person; however a great lesson comes not from its complexity but from its meaning and value.

Dogma is self professed as a work of fiction and silly but has a philosophical point which is actually quite relevant in a world filled with tens of thousands of people actually killing each other over religious disagreement. If we are going to rely on fiction for our philosophical entertainment than I fail to see how the Matrix (fictional, entertaining, and irrelevant) is vastly superior to Dogma (fictional, entertaining, and relevant).

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream