Women in Bikinis - Size 6 vs Size 12

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.

Generally speaking, which is more beautiful?

Size 6 woman
18%
Size 12 woman
50%
They are equally beautiful.
32%

Total votes: 60

Piros

Re: Women in Bikinis - Size 6 vs Size 12

Post by Piros »

Misty wrote:
Piros wrote: Right, Misty. "Sickly", "stick", "toothpick" etc. are labels. There are lots of healthy, naturally slim women out there with no eating disorders, that would take offense at the name-calling. I do belong to the size 6 group, always did, since high-school, I can eat whatever I want, as much as I want and I won't put on weight, Imagine that. It's really true. And there are millions like me in Europe where I was born and in Canada too, where I live. Yes, people, men and women, come in all shapes and sizes.
Hello Piros,

You are a very lucky woman! Could you send me a bottle of your metabolism?? Variety makes the world go round.
I was actually agreeing with your post. My comment was directed toward those who label others based on their shape, weight, appearance, and height (yes, size 6 may indicate a petite woman!) . My point is that NOT every slim (or skinny if you wish) woman has bulimia or anorexia, in fact, most don't. Variety includes ALL sizes indeed.
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Yes, I knew you were agreeing and I was affirming further.
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.
MindlessPhil

Post by MindlessPhil »

Threw evolution we see beauty as how healthy one is and if they can handle having a baby and so forth. Thus why male are attracted to breasts of women. Health would go with size as well, Very skinny women are seen as unhealthy and are not that attractive, only too those who were fed the idea maybe... But Instinctively I think we would go for the size 12 in the picture over the size 6.
chazwyman

Post by chazwyman »

MindlessPhil wrote:Threw evolution we see beauty as how healthy one is and if they can handle having a baby and so forth. Thus why male are attracted to breasts of women. Health would go with size as well, Very skinny women are seen as unhealthy and are not that attractive, only too those who were fed the idea maybe... But Instinctively I think we would go for the size 12 in the picture over the size 6.
You are demonstrating a common misunderstanding of evolution.
Lizleslie
Favorite Philosopher: Albert Schweitzer

Post by Lizleslie »

Old post here, but trying to get my first 10 in so I can make a profile. I personally think this thread is a good way to show how we are programmed. And we allow ourselves to be programmed. Really who cares what someone looks like in a Bikini, when it comes down to it, it means nothing. What is important is our level of compassion and spiritual as well as intellectual growth.

Also all these shapes, sizes etc is based on sexual attraction. We are biologically control by that drive for a while, then hopefully we learn and see how much we were manipulated by nothing more than hormones just so we will procreate. Honestly I am a bit pissed off by the way natural has used me. But I have learned from it, but still not enough to control this horrible injustice of what one things is perfect on the outside. UGH The Fools we Humans really are!
Bermudj

Post by Bermudj »

Lizleslie wrote:Old post here, but trying to get my first 10 in so I can make a profile. I personally think this thread is a good way to show how we are programmed. And we allow ourselves to be programmed. Really who cares what someone looks like in a Bikini, when it comes down to it, it means nothing. What is important is our level of compassion and spiritual as well as intellectual growth.

Also all these shapes, sizes etc is based on sexual attraction. We are biologically control by that drive for a while, then hopefully we learn and see how much we were manipulated by nothing more than hormones just so we will procreate. Honestly I am a bit pissed off by the way natural has used me. But I have learned from it, but still not enough to control this horrible injustice of what one things is perfect on the outside. UGH The Fools we Humans really are!
So you prefer it like animals. The horse is not thinking whether she is a blonde, or a brunette, or black eyes or any of that. She is on heat and that is enough.
Do whatever you do, do what a good man would do, and what is a good man?, I do not know, but at every point, every turn, do what a good man would do.

Jesús Antonio Bermúdez-Silva
Lizleslie
Favorite Philosopher: Albert Schweitzer

Post by Lizleslie »

Humans are Animals which is my point. And speaking of animals, often they will not mate with others that they don't like. All I can say is, your question proves that not everyone is evolved past their own imprisonment. It takes men longer usually, I think that is because of testosterone poisoning of course lol
Bermudj

Post by Bermudj »

Lizleslie wrote:...And speaking of animals, often they will not mate with others that they don't like....
Is this so? I once worked in a farm, there were horses, pigs, chickens, cows, dogs and I never noticed
I don't like
preferences. She is on heat, she is on heat. Actually when it came to horses, sometimes they made the mistake that she was on heat when she wasn't and she made sure they found out.
Do whatever you do, do what a good man would do, and what is a good man?, I do not know, but at every point, every turn, do what a good man would do.

Granth

Post by Granth »

Speaking of animals and bikinis. I think Daisy Duck fits the bill.
If reality was determined by a popularity vote we would not have any pioneers.
Supine

Post by Supine »

Scott wrote:
What do you think?
Size 12 all the way. Slimmer than size 12 but much fuller than size 6 would probably be even more aesthetically eye pleasing. My view at least.

Marylin Monroe would be considered fat by today's fashion model standards.

It's well know Black-American males and Latino males of varying hues like women with a so-called "little meat on their bones." Both are often times butt men too - contrasted to their North American peers that were largely breast men before the advent of Jennifer Lopez stardom. But even the majority of White-American men do not like anorexic looking women.

The deeper question is what is driving this skinny phenomenon in the fashion world which then influences the consumer world?

I don't think most want to find the real answer to that question. I don't suppose I know the answer with certainty myself. However, given the men in the behind the scenes fashion industry are disproportionately homosexual, I'm open to the very unPC possibility that these males ideas of sexy and beauty, correlated with the physiques of teenage boys or prepubescent boys as well, may be filtering down.

But it may not be that. That's a possibility as well.

I did hear some wear that clothing designers when they have fashion shows want their clothes to be the focal point of the run way and not the model. Ergo, a woman with tiny breasts and thin frame on who's body the clothing is draped.

But if in fact mostly women and homosexual males disproportionately dominate the running of the fashion industry then the blame lies to a far greater degree with the two than with your typical heterosexual male population. An impossible scenario for the male or female feminist I'll admit because their philosophy and political sympathies and goals at all times seeks to make the female the victim.

-- Updated December 11th, 2012, 6:07 pm to add the following --
Misty wrote:Hi chazwyman,

If your read all the posts you will find woman/women have given opinions.

It does not matter what a woman looks like as there will be men that will degrade them. It is a way to make women feel insecure and needy leading to more effort to try to please the male. Of course, there are always exceptions so all males do not do this.
I would contend, Misty, that competition within a species is a part of biological evolution. The sub-theory of sexual selection proposes that females enjoy a much greater advantage than males. This contradicts the normal beliefs of the general population. But then... the general population once militantly believed the sun revolved around the earth and the earth as the center of the universe.

What the biological sciences has taught us is that it is very rare that a female will end up without a male mate (presuming she is not lesbian). But it is quite typical that a certain portion of males will end up with no female mate (presuming they are not homosexual) at all. By far the female is the greatest discriminator of the two sexes the science of biology has taught us.

Sexual selection tells us - if I can give my own analogy - that when it comes to the distribution of mates of the opposite sex that females are Switzerland (distribution of wealth) and males are Brazil (distribution of wealth). It's far more rare among females that one woman is married to 20 men. You'll find this phenomenon far more often among men. Osama Bin Laden for example was the 50th or so child of his father that had a large number of wives. Osama Bin Laden himself had many wives.

On the other hand... there are males that will live all their lives zero female mate. We see this clearly among Gorillas. The Silver-back has several female mates while other male Gorillas will never have one.

What qualifies as a "good mate" is often defined by superficial qualities. At least, in my opinion.

In my early 20's employed by the United States Marine Corps I was rejected (often not kindly) by 99.9% of women in the U.S. - but really I should limited that to the small population size of Black-American females because that's who I courted 95% - 99% of the time. I still had a big problem with acne then and the Navy would not prescribe me acutine in case I was deployed to war and antibiotics or something wouldn't work on me. Something like that. I was/am short too. I was smaller built male too. I was not as "gangster" as that which appealed to most black females of my generation either. This from women obese to women with skin diseases and 99% of the women I courted were poor and on welfare. Females are severe discriminators. More so than males. The silver-back Gorilla won't think so and neither will his relative equivalent among male Homo sapiens.

-- Updated December 11th, 2012, 6:11 pm to add the following --

Image of me maybe 10 or so years ago. Before I was shot multiple times (a year ago). I've lost some weight due to that and have to rebuild my size back.

Photo: i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/JustinDee ... ics021.jpg
Fleetfootphil

Post by Fleetfootphil »

Who cares?
Bermudj

Post by Bermudj »

Fleetfootphil wrote:Who cares?
Who cares about what?

Fleetfootphil

Post by Fleetfootphil »

Who cares who likes the physicality of what someone or anyone else looks like. Don't you have better things to think about than fat and skinny women's bodies and how to rank them? Geez.

-- Updated December 18th, 2012, 11:01 pm to add the following --

Crap....there was even some kind of way to vote in the original post. Sexism lives, even when it passes itself off as an opinion poll.
Blazing Donkey
Favorite Philosopher: Voltaire

Post by Blazing Donkey »

All of this is culturally relative.

In the United States, being slim has been sold as being 'attractive'.

In Somalia, being heavy is seen as being 'attractive' because it means the person is well fed. Practically everyone there is slim because they are starving.
No man is an island, but if you tie a bunch of dead guys together they make a pretty good raft.
Fleetfootphil

Post by Fleetfootphil »

I hate this discussion. It smacks of one thing while posing as another.

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream