Can a man-made computer become conscious?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Gertie

Re: Can a man-made computer become conscious?

Post by Gertie »

Woodart
Woodart wrote:
Gertie wrote:
You might enjoy Churchland's take on this, here's a brief summary in a talk she gave -
Wow – what a powerful woman and thinker!
Is she saying that oxytocin is produced as a function of wanting to eat more food in order to keep warm and survive? Why is oxytocin involved in the initiation of maternal behavior and morality? Is the answer that oxytocin precipitates a pleasure response and we want to increase pleasure? Is pleasure the driver for oxytocin production via eating food – having sex – bonding pleasure?
Yeah, fascinating stuff! She has longer lectures on youtube and a book called Braintrust if you want to delve deeper.

As I understand it, the story goes that being warm blooded gives a critter an evolutionary edge, to hunt and forage at night when it's colder, and expand into less hospital territory.

But keeping your blood warm uses up tons of calories, so you have to eat a lot more. Like 10 times more. So that in itself then becomes an evolutionary pressure. One solution to this was to become a lot smarter, literally grow the brain, but also structure that growth to have flexibility to enable learning, so you can adapt to the environment you're born into. This means brains which are able to an extent to physically wire up as a result of experience.

So you end up with off-spring who are potentially very smart and adaptable, but their 'brain wiring' is basic at birth, so they're pretty helpless.

Evolution responds by adapting our hormonal 'reward system' and other systems to extend from being tuned to our self-care, to being tuned to care for off-spring. And oxytocin seems to be a key early part of this. So for example if a mother rat loses track of a baby, her stress hormones will rise and she'll go look for it, when she finds it her stress hormones fall and the oxytocin levels rise making her 'feel good'.

Of course the whole story is hugely complicated, but now we're beginning to understand the beginnings of how we became the way we are. Pretty awesome stuff in my opinion! And I think Churchland does an excellent job of pulling together the research from various fields to give us an accessible and fascinating idea of how the big picture fits together.
Hermes_Trismegistus
New Trial Member

Post by Hermes_Trismegistus »

Computers, no matter how sophisticated, will only be capable of an appearance of consciousness. There is no reason to think consciousness will ever arise from non-biological entities.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Hermes_Trismegistus wrote:Computers, no matter how sophisticated, will only be capable of an appearance of consciousness. There is no reason to think consciousness will ever arise from non-biological entities.
Really? OK - Now prove to me that you are conscious - For all I know a computer just printed what you supposedly wrote.

I say current state of the art AI could respond just as well, maybe even better.

So for our enlightenment would you please prove just what it is that makes you so sure that you are conscious and the the machine that transmitted your supposedly conscious reply is not conscious.

Also, we are always willing to learn - So please give us a universal definition of consciousness and show us how this definition could not be met by a non-biological entity.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Universal Allen, my point exactly. How can we tell if a computer is conscious, unconscious, or subconscious, when we are completely incapable to directly sense that in a member of our own species? If it weren't for a highly developed sense of empathy, we'd be co-existing like so many wind-up toys.

So... how do we know computers don't already at present have a conscious mind already? We can say or reason or figure things, but to KNOW we will never.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

-1- wrote:Universal Allen, my point exactly. How can we tell if a computer is conscious, unconscious, or subconscious, when we are completely incapable to directly sense that in a member of our own species? If it weren't for a highly developed sense of empathy, we'd be co-existing like so many wind-up toys.

So... how do we know computers don't already at present have a conscious mind already? We can say or reason or figure things, but to KNOW we will never.
And just where and when does this hypothitical thing we call consciousness begin and where and when does it end - Or does it begin and end at all?

Lately, and more and more, I'm coning to believe in the old philosophical concept of pan-psychism - Everything that exits is conscious - And believe it or not some very modern now scientists are also on board.

It then becomes a matter of discretion, something, and as far as we know, only the Human psyche possesses, to distinguish the degree of, the nature of, and the function and utility of this so called consciousness.

“There is no coming to consciousness without pain. People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own Soul. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.”
― C.G. Jung
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

And just where and when does this hypothitical thing we call consciousness begin and where and when does it end - Or does it begin and end at all?
Qualia
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

UniversalAlien wrote:And just where and when does this hypothitical thing we call consciousness begin and where and when does it end - Or does it begin and end at all?
It begins when the subject begins, and the subject begins when there is the present, the basic unit of temporality. The being of the present means that there is something present for the subject and it is there at the present moment. Rocks and computers do not have their own present, all they have is our present. So what defines consciousness is temporality, and this is what material things do not have, not even our brains.

We are conscious, i.e. temporal, using our bodies. Our bodies are neither conscious nor temporal. They are located in physical time, but that is not what original temporality means.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

UA
I'm assuming that by consciousness here you mean experiential states - 'what it's like' to experience seeing, hearing, remembering, hunger, etc. Such states aren't hypothetical, they're real - mine are anyway!

We need a settled Theory of Consciousness, which would provide answers to questions like 'What are the necessary and sufficient conditions for consciousness'. Then we could say Yes or No, this or that physical system is conscious in some way.

Unfortunately we don't have a settled theory. One of the problems in coming to a consensus on a settled Theory of Consciousness is that experiential states are inherently 'private', so we have to rely on Behaviour (does this entity act as if it's conscious), Similarity (is it similar to accepted conscious entities in ways associated with consciousness eg have a brain), and Self-Reporting (humans and potentially machines, who can say 'Yes, I am conscious'). And then draw inferences.

In the absence of a settled Theory of Consciousness , we have a bunch of untestable 'What If...' explanatory hypotheses. One such hypothesis, Panpsychism, suggests consciousness is a fundamental part of the fabric of the universe, present in everything which exists. In which case consciousness is everywhere, we just don't recognise it. Where-as some people hypothesize that consciousness is a novel Emergent property resulting from certain types of material processes. In which case there would presumably be a cut off between a non-conscious process and the most basic conscious process, perhaps that of an insect which experiences 'what it's like' to experience the difference between light and dark.

But we don't know which, if either, of these hypotheses are on the right track. So we can't answer your question, for now anyway.
Woodart

Post by Woodart »

Gertie wrote:UA
I'm assuming that by consciousness here you mean experiential states - 'what it's like' to experience seeing, hearing, remembering, hunger, etc. Such states aren't hypothetical, they're real - mine are anyway!

We need a settled Theory of Consciousness, which would provide answers to questions like 'What are the necessary and sufficient conditions for consciousness'. Then we could say Yes or No, this or that physical system is conscious in some way.

Unfortunately we don't have a settled theory. One of the problems in coming to a consensus on a settled Theory of Consciousness is that experiential states are inherently 'private', so we have to rely on Behaviour (does this entity act as if it's conscious), Similarity (is it similar to accepted conscious entities in ways associated with consciousness eg have a brain), and Self-Reporting (humans and potentially machines, who can say 'Yes, I am conscious'). And then draw inferences.

In the absence of a settled Theory of Consciousness , we have a bunch of untestable 'What If...' explanatory hypotheses. One such hypothesis, Panpsychism, suggests consciousness is a fundamental part of the fabric of the universe, present in everything which exists. In which case consciousness is everywhere, we just don't recognise it. Where-as some people hypothesize that consciousness is a novel Emergent property resulting from certain types of material processes. In which case there would presumably be a cut off between a non-conscious process and the most basic conscious process, perhaps that of an insect which experiences 'what it's like' to experience the difference between light and dark.

But we don't know which, if either, of these hypotheses are on the right track. So we can't answer your question, for now anyway.
I think your thoughts are very cogent, however I think we do answer the question of consciousness - every moment. We have to because we have to be practical and proceed with life. We assume the veracity of consciousness in order to move down the road. I always liked Lily Tomlim saying - "reality is a collective hunch".
-1-

Post by -1- »

Uniting Woodart's and Belindi's general views, and mine, there is consciousness for sure, as experienced by our own selves; and there are theories and considerations that are different from each other, but each having the same strength of philosophical validity, and which theories and considerations paint a picture of the precise situation of the conscious; but there is no extant knowledge about the situation of conscious in effect, and it seems to be at the moment impossible to get any more knowledge on the conscious than inferential; and furthermore, the inferential can be even ignored and not taken into consideration for a theory on the conscious, and still remain philosophically just as valid as all other theories on consciousness. For instance, the pan-conscious universe theory, or the theory that inanimate objects can have consciousness. These can't be discounted or rendered invalid, other than by purely subjective opinion.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

If or when brain scientists can correlate subjective reports of specific qualia with specific brain activities we will understand conscious awareness.

-- Updated August 19th, 2017, 5:55 am to add the following --

If or when brain scientists can correlate subjective reports of specific qualia with specific brain activities we will understand conscious awareness.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/quale
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

Belindi wrote:If or when brain scientists can correlate subjective reports of specific qualia with specific brain activities we will understand conscious awareness.
To understand ontology of consciousness and ontology of matter we need phenomenology. To understand facts of consciousness we need psychology. To understand facts of the material world we need physics. To understand the relations between facts of consciousness and facts of the material world we need brain research.

So there are many levels of understanding. But we should not presuppose the materialistic ontology as a premise and try to explain consciousness from that premise. It has not succeeded so far and, as far as I can see, will not succeed in the future, because the ontology behind those efforts is not satisfactory. We must clarify our ontological standpoint first by phenomenological studies.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Tamminen wrote:
Belindi wrote:If or when brain scientists can correlate subjective reports of specific qualia with specific brain activities we will understand conscious awareness.
To understand ontology of consciousness and ontology of matter we need phenomenology. To understand facts of consciousness we need psychology. To understand facts of the material world we need physics. To understand the relations between facts of consciousness and facts of the material world we need brain research.

So there are many levels of understanding. But we should not presuppose the materialistic ontology as a premise and try to explain consciousness from that premise. It has not succeeded so far and, as far as I can see, will not succeed in the future, because the ontology behind those efforts is not satisfactory. We must clarify our ontological standpoint first by phenomenological studies.

"subjective reports of specific qualia" are what the psychologist would report as psychologists deal in subjective reports. "specific brain activities" are what the neuroscientist would report as neuroscientists deal in objective reports. The two reports can be correlated. As a matter of fact subjective reports and objective reports are frequently correlated, for instance in clinical situations for the purpose of diagnosis.
Present awareness

Post by Present awareness »

philoreaderguy wrote:Do you think a man-made computer could ever become conscious? Can it have a soul? Why or why not?
By "conscious" do you mean self aware? By "Soul" do you mean some sort of energy field, separate from the mechanical parts?

Computers, like most man made machines, will give predictable results. To ask if a computer has consciousness is like asking if my kitchen light knows it's on, when I flick a switch.

What we call human consciousness, seems to be a form of self awareness, in which we construct a sense of self based upon memories of past experiences. This illusory self is like a bubble, which is easily popped by the simple act of dying.
Even though you can see me, I might not be here.
Togo1

Post by Togo1 »

Belindi wrote:"subjective reports of specific qualia" are what the psychologist would report as psychologists deal in subjective reports. "specific brain activities" are what the neuroscientist would report as neuroscientists deal in objective reports. The two reports can be correlated. As a matter of fact subjective reports and objective reports are frequently correlated, for instance in clinical situations for the purpose of diagnosis.
It goes even further than that...

Subjects can be asked to produce specific brain activities by asking them to imagine specific actions. This can be used to communicate with some patients who can't move or speak or act in any way (persistent vegitative state). Similarly consistent sensations can be produced by stimulating the brain of a conscious patient in particular areas.

I think to understand consciousness we need to consider:
Conscious experience
Conscious thought
Intentionality

They're related, but not the same thing.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream