Who is I? The possessor of my body, mind, and spirit?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Tamminen

Re: Who is I? The possessor of my body, mind, and spirit?

Post by Tamminen »

RJG wrote: December 12th, 2017, 1:17 pm No offense Tamminen, but to me, you seem to be indulging in a bit of ‘fantasy’ or ‘feel-good religion’ rather than in logical reasoning. If “I” is just the experiencer, then it is just the thing (entity) that experiences. Period. Nothing more! Creating or adding to the storyline only seems to be departing from philosophy and entering (indulging in) religion/fantasy.

I don't wish to argue/discuss religion, as religious beliefs are based on "blind faiths", of which there can be no argument against.
I understand your standpoint, but we should still make a distinction between religion and metaphysical scenarios. There is a logical path that has lead me to these conclusions, and I have presented it in these posts, discussing with Greta. I do not have faith in the religious sense, but I like to make metaphysical hypotheses that try to solve some deep existential questions that have preoccupied mankind for thousands of years.

Even Wittgenstein had to admit that there has to be a metaphysical subject, a reference point to the world, which is not an entity.
Wayne92587
Favorite Philosopher: Hermese Trismegistus

Post by Wayne92587 »

A metaphysicalo scinario simply exclude God as the cause of Everything.

Reality based upon speculative or abstract thinking.

Rationalization.

Big difference between Reason and Rationaliation.

Our knowledge of Reality like many definitions is basse upon repation, belief, blind faith.

Why is the number three the first primary number, when zero and One came first, by definition only.

Why should I have blind faith that three is the first Pirmary number.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

RJG wrote: December 12th, 2017, 1:17 pm
RJG wrote:But from my understanding, I see no difference between the formation of thoughts and the formation of words, as "words" and "thoughts" are really the same thing. The only difference is that one has a 'name' given to it, and the other has yet to be named. The 'meaning' of the word/thought is established through the association of sensory experiences. As a small child, when your mother said "c-aaa-t", and showed you a picture of a 'cat' (or put a furry creature in your lap), then the thought of 'cat' was born!, ...as was the word; the name-of-this-thought. The audio sensory experience associated with the visual (and/or tactile) sensory experience created the 'meaning' (i.e. the 'thought') of "cat".
Greta wrote:Yet, if no one gave the child language, she should still have a mental construct of cats if she encountered them - as "things that are like that".
Yes, but this “mental construct” cannot exist without being identified (recognized) somehow, either by ‘name’, or by the ‘names’ of the descriptive sensory pieces.

If no one gave this child language, then she would make up her own word(s) in which to identify this thought or thing that you and I call “cat”. Otherwise, she could just identify (name) the sensory pieces (soft, and fluffy, and purrs, and orange color, and etc etc) that make up this “cat”.

Words and thoughts are the same thing. One has a name, the other has yet to be named.
Other animals have thoughts. What do you make of their words?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

RJG wrote: December 12th, 2017, 1:17 pm
RJG wrote:But from my understanding, I see no difference between the formation of thoughts and the formation of words, as "words" and "thoughts" are really the same thing. The only difference is that one has a 'name' given to it, and the other has yet to be named. The 'meaning' of the word/thought is established through the association of sensory experiences. As a small child, when your mother said "c-aaa-t", and showed you a picture of a 'cat' (or put a furry creature in your lap), then the thought of 'cat' was born!, ...as was the word; the name-of-this-thought. The audio sensory experience associated with the visual (and/or tactile) sensory experience created the 'meaning' (i.e. the 'thought') of "cat".
Greta wrote:Yet, if no one gave the child language, she should still have a mental construct of cats if she encountered them - as "things that are like that".
Yes, but this “mental construct” cannot exist without being identified (recognized) somehow, either by ‘name’, or by the ‘names’ of the descriptive sensory pieces.

If no one gave this child language, then she would make up her own word(s) in which to identify this thought or thing that you and I call “cat”. Otherwise, she could just identify (name) the sensory pieces (soft, and fluffy, and purrs, and orange color, and etc etc) that make up this “cat”.

Words and thoughts are the same thing. One has a name, the other has yet to be named.
I almost agree, except that you overrate words. Words are only part of the abstract human eusocial meta-reality, like money. Just as words are a means of communication, money is a means of exchange - but words and money in themselves are not communication and exchange. There are more fundamental dynamics that give rise to words and money, ie. emotions based on acquisitiveness and fear.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

I can look into my brain and see what happens there as I look into my brain, and I can see my eye as I look into my brain. I can see the physiological correlate of my looking into my brain. But I cannot see me. That is why the 'I' is transcendental. It is not an observable entity. An eye does not see. I see.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Tamminen wrote:I can look into my brain and see what happens there as I look into my brain, and I can see my eye as I look into my brain. I can see the physiological correlate of my looking into my brain. But I cannot see me. That is why the 'I' is transcendental. It is not an observable entity. An eye does not see. I see.
A rock can tap many things, but never itself --- is the rock transcendental?

A knife can cut many things, but never itself --- is the knife transcendental?

No, there is no "transcendentalism" here, but only the logical impossibility of being in two places at one time.

A subject cannot be it's own object. The foot cannot kick itself. The finger cannot touch itself. The head cannot spin around fast enough to meet itself face-to-face.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

RJG wrote: December 13th, 2017, 6:17 amNo, there is no "transcendentalism" here, but only the logical impossibility of being in two places at one time ...
... aside from photons and electrons.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

RJG wrote: December 12th, 2017, 1:17 pm If “I” is just the experiencer, then it is just the thing (entity) that experiences.
A knife can cut many things, but never itself --- is the knife transcendental?
A knife is not an observer or experiencer. It is a tool with no subjectivity.

I am an experiencer and you are an experiencer. How do I know that you are an experiencer? Because we communicate with each other and I understand you more or less. But one thing is lacking: I cannot see your experiences in the way you are having them. They are not observable entities. Only you can observe them in reflection. And therefore you are not an observable entity as an experiencer, only as a physiological organism that behaves like me and whose subjectivity is already presupposed in the fact that I understand you. So if you say that you are an experiencing thing, I must say that I appreciate you much more than you appreciate yourself. :)
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Tamminen wrote: December 13th, 2017, 5:20 amI can look into my brain and see what happens there as I look into my brain, and I can see my eye as I look into my brain. I can see the physiological correlate of my looking into my brain. But I cannot see me. That is why the 'I' is transcendental. It is not an observable entity. An eye does not see. I see.
Does that make the self transcendental or abstract?
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

Greta wrote: December 13th, 2017, 8:30 am
Tamminen wrote: December 13th, 2017, 5:20 amI can look into my brain and see what happens there as I look into my brain, and I can see my eye as I look into my brain. I can see the physiological correlate of my looking into my brain. But I cannot see me. That is why the 'I' is transcendental. It is not an observable entity. An eye does not see. I see.
Does that make the self transcendental or abstract?
By 'transcendental' I mean something that is the precondition of the being of entities, something that is not itself an entity. But it is not abstract. It is me, or us, concretely.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Greta wrote:
RJG wrote:No, there is no "transcendentalism" here, but only the logical impossibility of being in two places at one time.
... aside from photons and electrons.
Not so. Although the reflected photon and transmitted photon emanate from the same photon, they are two detectable photons in two places, (…and not actually a quantity of one in two places, unless of course you wish to redefine 1 as 2).

This particular usage of the expression “in two places at one time” is being misused by those who wish to hype-up the ‘spookiness’ of this quantum occurrence.

Logically and mathematically 1 is NOT 2; 1 is 1, and 2 is 2. …and logic/math (a priori) ALWAYS trumps science (a posteriori)!

Tamminen wrote:
RJG wrote:A knife can cut many things, but never itself --- is the knife transcendental?
A knife is not an observer or experiencer. It is a tool with no subjectivity.
You are missing the point. The point is that one cannot be in two places at one time. A knife cannot cut itself; it cannot be both the cutter and the cutted. And likewise, an observer cannot observe himself; he cannot be both the observer and the observed. A subject cannot be the object of its own subjectivity.

This is simply a logical impossibility, and NOT attributed to some wishful mystical transcendental feature of reality.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

RJG wrote: December 13th, 2017, 12:28 pm
Greta wrote: ... aside from photons and electrons.
Not so. Although the reflected photon and transmitted photon emanate from the same photon, they are two detectable photons in two places, (…and not actually a quantity of one in two places, unless of course you wish to redefine 1 as 2).

This particular usage of the expression “in two places at one time” is being misused by those who wish to hype-up the ‘spookiness’ of this quantum occurrence.

Logically and mathematically 1 is NOT 2; 1 is 1, and 2 is 2. …and logic/math (a priori) ALWAYS trumps science (a posteriori)!
You appear to be trying to fit quantum phenomena into the logic and math of things ruled by relativity, which is invalid.

It is actually the same electron, but also in a different place. It's not as though the electron splits into two halves. It's the same one, present in more areas than expected. This violates the rules of relativity, which is why QM is so difficult to comprehend, yet application of its principles has foud it to be the most accurate of all theories. "Most accurate" = closest to how reality works.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Tamminen wrote: December 12th, 2017, 5:03 am
Namelesss wrote: December 11th, 2017, 8:14 pm The answer is always (Universally), ultimately, Here! Now!
Yes, I am here and now, but this here and now flows through all the bubbles.

There is no '-ing' in Here! Now!
No 'flow-ing', no do-ing... if anything, just Be-ing!
All moments of Universal existence are Here! Now! Simultaneously, synchronously! How much 'phenomena' that bit of Reality explains and predicts!
It cannot be everywhere at the same time, even though it can possibly be conscious of everything at the same time, if you are enlightened.
Consciousness is Universal! Of course Consciousness can be/is everywhere/everywhen at once!
Consciousness is Conscious of everything all at once! Here! Now!
All existence is a moment of Universal Self Awareness/Knowledge! Every moment is a unique Soul/Perspective/moment of Self! Knowledge.
Being and time cannot be separated.
Nonsense! As 'time' only exists in/as 'thought/ego', in a thoughtless state, a Zen state, there is no time to be perceived! Reality is a timeless state, by necessity!
Of course 'illusions/mirages' remain persistent, as Einstein mentioned.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Greta wrote: December 13th, 2017, 9:24 pm You appear to be trying to fit quantum phenomena into the logic and math of things ruled by relativity, which is invalid.

It is actually the same electron, but also in a different place. It's not as though the electron splits into two halves. It's the same one, present in more areas than expected. This violates the rules of relativity, which is why QM is so difficult to comprehend, yet application of its principles has foud it to be the most accurate of all theories. "Most accurate" = closest to how reality works.
Hear! Hear!
Einstein, with all his relative genius, was incapable of the mystical state of mind necessary to comprehend the reality of QM!

"Quantum mechanics comes on as so off the wall that only a mystical state of mind can even begin to probe it's mysteries!" - Richard Feynman and Chuangtse
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

Namelesss wrote: December 14th, 2017, 8:06 am Reality is a timeless state, by necessity!
OK, let us turn the picture upside down: I am here and now, still and unmoved, but the bubbles come and go through me. But I can lose myself in the bubbles, lose my enlightened state and live my life as a rat, for instance. But that does not matter, does it? I only have the fate that Reality can offer me.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream