Time: is time a concept or a physical force and can we prove the arrow of time

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Frost

Re: Time: is time a concept or a physical force and can we prove the arrow of time

Post by Frost » January 20th, 2018, 4:57 pm

The equations of fundamental physics are time-symmetric, so an essential question is, what breaks that symmetry? In the von Neumann Interpretation of the orthodox quantum formalism, von Neumann suggested that it is the non-physical experiential state of living organisms which actualize a particular quantum state, breaking the time symmetry. In this way, time is emergent as a result of experiential states, but certainly not an Intentionality-dependent phenomena (i.e., not idealism).

Namelesss

Re: Time: is time a concept or a physical force and can we prove the arrow of time

Post by Namelesss » January 22nd, 2018, 2:50 am

ParadoxicalAlchemist wrote:
January 9th, 2018, 2:11 pm
Correct me if I am misunderstanding, but you are implying that time does not exist due to its measurement being "0", however a Plank second is not 0. A plank second has a physical unit of measurement equal to 5.39 × 10 −44 s, you cannot just average this down to zero because that is not it's definition.

I am not attempting to refute your whole argument here because I think there are some aspects of it that are interesting and deserve discourse, but I want clarification on whether you are implying time is 0 or not.
although is see an 'actual' temporal element in the mathematical representation of the Planck moment, it is, ultimately, of no duration to have duration.
It is as 'zero' as .9999... = 1! *__-
More so! (I don't have to ignore the pesky tangent to explain it)
The timeless Planck moment is not a measure of temporal extent, but a single unit of perception, a 'percept', the experience/Knowledge of the Here! Now!

Namelesss

Post by Namelesss » January 22nd, 2018, 2:52 am

Sorry I didn't answer sooner, but as it was not quoted, or have my non-name, I just stumbled on it it now.