Logic limits us

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
ApplicationBot
New Trial Member

Logic limits us

Post by ApplicationBot »

Everything we percive as real is created in our minds. We create our reality based on facts, ideas and senses but the ultimate reality for us is what our mind logically creates. If we imagine everything (every object, thought idea, every electron, planet, chair, ...) on a line, only a fraction of that line would be what we consider real and true. The further we go from our real region the more unreal things seem even though they could be more real towards one end and less real towards the second end. Like a colour spectrum, we only see one small part of it.

The thing that allows us to do so is our logic, our world of ideas. Those would be 2+2=4, bachelors are unmarried men, paradox makes no sense,...

My question is whether there are more sets of logic where a paradox for example would be a completly rational conclusion or where 2+2=3;
Of course we see those to be wrong but they could as well be correct in their own set of rules making them true. We defined them to be wrong, not show they are wrong.

Reality in such model would be some object while facts and logic would be a point of view, like a camera angle on that object.
Looking through 1 point of view we only see a 2D "shadow" of the object while looking through more we see the object in it's entirety.
Therefore we are unable to explore reality because we live in a world where we limit ourselves with one distinct set of logical ideas.

Finally, given that everything above is true, we can't dismiss statements based on them being absurd or leading to a paradox. They could be true but we can't see it from our limited point of view.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Logic limits us

Post by Sy Borg »

Yes, but also note that illogic is even more limiting.
jerlands

Post by jerlands »

ApplicationBot wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 1:58 pm Everything we percive as real is created in our minds. We create our reality based on facts, ideas and senses but the ultimate reality for us is what our mind logically creates.
I don't know that's true, frankly because I'm not quite sure we truly understand what the mind is. According to conventional thought doesn't the mind have different states? The subconscious mind and the conscious mind? The conscious mind seems to bring into focus whatever it is that we direct it towards. So, maybe it's not our mind that's creating our perception but rather it's that which is guiding our mind that has more influence? What is belief and does it exist in the mind or does it exist in the heart? It may be true that the mind manifests our perception but it seems we touch upon things in the heart that our mind tries to explain to us. It also seems to me there's something that lies outside of self that is the true source for our perception. A lie is not reality and it does not create order in our minds but it seems we have to experience chaos to regain order and that might be considered growth.

ApplicationBot wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 1:58 pm If we imagine everything (every object, thought idea, every electron, planet, chair, ...) on a line, only a fraction of that line would be what we consider real and true. The further we go from our real region the more unreal things seem even though they could be more real towards one end and less real towards the second end. Like a colour spectrum, we only see one small part of it.
I don't like this analogy because it's not possible to perceive everything in a straight line simply because that's not how things exist. If you think of space-time, our position in the universe at this moment compared to another moment, then there is a linear correlation but that only is for one aspect of everything. Focus may be the closest thing our minds have to a straight line.
ApplicationBot wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 1:58 pm The thing that allows us to do so is our logic, our world of ideas. Those would be 2+2=4, bachelors are unmarried men, paradox makes no sense,...

My question is whether there are more sets of logic where a paradox for example would be a completly rational conclusion or where 2+2=3;
Of course we see those to be wrong but they could as well be correct in their own set of rules making them true. We defined them to be wrong, not show they are wrong.
There seems to be two comprehensive states in the universe, order and chaos. 2+2=3 is degeneration of state and impies it's entering chaos.
ApplicationBot wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 1:58 pm Reality in such model would be some object while facts and logic would be a point of view, like a camera angle on that object.
Looking through 1 point of view we only see a 2D "shadow" of the object while looking through more we see the object in it's entirety.
Therefore we are unable to explore reality because we live in a world where we limit ourselves with one distinct set of logical ideas.

Finally, given that everything above is true, we can't dismiss statements based on them being absurd or leading to a paradox. They could be true but we can't see it from our limited point of view.
Our focus is what dictates our perception so it seems. What then is the determining factor of focus if not attention and attention might be dictated by our situation.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Newme

Post by Newme »

jerlands wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 8:37 pm Our focus is what dictates our perception so it seems. What then is the determining factor of focus if not attention and attention might be dictated by our situation.
You made some good points- one which I’d have liked to see explored a bit more about one line representing one possibility. However, in any given situation- people will focus on different aspects of the same situation. It seems that consciousness is based on perspective and yet also the one constant variable in reality as we understand it.

There are multiple spiral dynamic theories suggesting as Einstein said, “Logic will get you from A to Z. Imagination will get you anywhere.” A simplified explanation is of faith stages which shows that logic and skepticism are a step but not the final step.
http://www.psychologycharts.com/james-f ... faith.html
Logic is helpful when figuring out thoughts, but EQ is needed to succeed socially, intrapersonally & spiritually. Of course both intuition/feeling & logic are both needed in harmony. But when it comes to motivation, and drive to live despite harsh opposition- as my friend says, “functional illusions are priceless.”
“Empty is the argument of the philosopher which does not relieve any human suffering.” - Epicurus
jerlands

Post by jerlands »

Newme wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 9:42 pm
jerlands wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 8:37 pm Our focus is what dictates our perception so it seems. What then is the determining factor of focus if not attention and attention might be dictated by our situation.
You made some good points- one which I’d have liked to see explored a bit more about one line representing one possibility. However, in any given situation- people will focus on different aspects of the same situation. It seems that consciousness is based on perspective and yet also the one constant variable in reality as we understand it.

There are multiple spiral dynamic theories suggesting as Einstein said, “Logic will get you from A to Z. Imagination will get you anywhere.” A simplified explanation is of faith stages which shows that logic and skepticism are a step but not the final step.
http://www.psychologycharts.com/james-f ... faith.html
Logic is helpful when figuring out thoughts, but EQ is needed to succeed socially, intrapersonally & spiritually. Of course both intuition/feeling & logic are both needed in harmony. But when it comes to motivation, and drive to live despite harsh opposition- as my friend says, “functional illusions are priceless.”
Our perception of self as either an autonomous thing or as part of a whole may be the bond in development of Emotional Intelligence (which seems to be what you're referring to.) There's a study called biodynamics that attempts to incorporate the forces of nature and implement that into agriculture, going steps beyond organic. It takes a view that the plant is part of an ecosystem and it's the health of the ecosystem that determines the health of the plant. So why do we want healthy plants? The health of the plant determines the health of that which consumes it and that turns out to be everything we as humans consume. So.. where to begin but with the realization of our situation.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Here is the most telling mistake:
No. We are able to explore BECAUSE we are limited. If we were boundless then ... well, go figure!
AKA badgerjelly
Philo Sofee
New Trial Member

Post by Philo Sofee »

ApplicationBot
Saying we are unable because we deliberately limit ourselves doesn't appear to me to be quite right. Rather it appears to me that the old conundrum of the One and the Many is what limits us, in a certain manner. Since we are, by our nature, limited, the whole cannot be perceived by us in its entirety, therefore, everything we say, think, see, and know is limited simply because of how we find ourselves now in this universe. The Whole both reveals and conceals itself to us at all given times. Plato's cave comes to mind as does St. Paul's idea that we see through a glass darkly... i.e., we are limited, but it's not by choice.

I also wonder if it's actual that we only use one set of logical ideas. It doesn't appear clear to me what you are thinking here. Perhaps a little elaboration could help.
Mosesquine

Post by Mosesquine »

Was the writer of OP made by my mind??? I clearly perceive the writer of OP, well.
Mosesquine

Post by Mosesquine »

Here's a crucial question: if everything is made or produced by minds, then who made the situation such that Donald Trump is the 45th President of the United States of America???
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

ApplicationBot wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 1:58 pm Everything we percive as real is created in our minds.
Then we do not perceive anything, for perception is usually understood as relating to the senses. If everything is created within our minds, then nothing is sensed.
We create our reality based on facts, ideas and senses but the ultimate reality for us is what our mind logically creates.
If our reality was based on 'senses' then it would not all be created in our minds, which you say it is. And what would 'facts' be? If all reality is created in our minds, then why would one version be more 'factual' than any other?

Nor could our mind 'logically' create anything, since logic has to start from some sort of a premise. But if we have no access to anything outside our mind then we would have no reason to think any premise was true, so logic would be of no help.
The thing that allows us to do so is our logic, our world of ideas. Those would be 2+2=4, bachelors are unmarried men, paradox makes no sense,...

Reality in such model would be some object while facts and logic would be a point of view, like a camera angle on that object.
They would neither be right or wrong. They might be valid, meaning that we had applied the rules of whatever system we had adopted, but that would not give us a 'fact', it would not tell us anything about any 'reality'.
jerlands

Post by jerlands »

Londoner wrote: February 24th, 2018, 4:16 pm
ApplicationBot wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 1:58 pm Everything we percive as real is created in our minds.
Then we do not perceive anything, for perception is usually understood as relating to the senses. If everything is created within our minds, then nothing is sensed.
Does the mind have any connection with the senses? What you're saying implies it doesn't.

We create our reality based on facts, ideas and senses but the ultimate reality for us is what our mind logically creates.
If our reality was based on 'senses' then it would not all be created in our minds, which you say it is. And what would 'facts' be? If all reality is created in our minds, then why would one version be more 'factual' than any other?

Nor could our mind 'logically' create anything, since logic has to start from some sort of a premise. But if we have no access to anything outside our mind then we would have no reason to think any premise was true, so logic would be of no help.
Again, it seems you're separating the mind from the senses? There is no physical state, either in meditation or an isolation chamber, that will separate us from our senses. Sense is simply duality, it's this compared with that. If we breath we are experiencing duality.

They would neither be right or wrong. They might be valid, meaning that we had applied the rules of whatever system we had adopted, but that would not give us a 'fact', it would not tell us anything about any 'reality'.
The notion of right and wrong.. Doesn't right imply 'moving in a straight line' and wrong 'crooked?' Logic is a straight line where we can get from point a to point b without deviation. The problem with logic defining a state is that things don't exist in logical sense but coexist in dimension with everything else. It's like logically expressing fire so that it's comprehensible without experience.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

jerlands wrote: February 24th, 2018, 5:42 pmSense is simply duality, it's this compared with that. If we breathe we are experiencing duality.
Using logic - which is limited, but potent - I see breathing as an indication of our unity with the Earth. We are rooted to the atmosphere by the respiratory system just as plants are rooted to the Earth. The duality appears in our apparent - and temporary - separateness from the planet, made clear to us by the relative exclusivity of our senses and opacity of our minds.
jerlands

Post by jerlands »

Greta wrote: February 24th, 2018, 5:54 pm
jerlands wrote: February 24th, 2018, 5:42 pmSense is simply duality, it's this compared with that. If we breathe we are experiencing duality.
Using logic - which is limited, but potent - I see breathing as an indication of our unity with the Earth. We are rooted to the atmosphere by the respiratory system just as plants are rooted to the Earth. The duality appears in our apparent - and temporary - separateness from the planet, made clear to us by the relative exclusivity of our senses and opacity of our minds.
Duality is simply echoing the principle creative force of expansion and contraction and this exists in every form of matter including energy which is expressed as an oscillation between hi and lo. We have no escape from duality except possibly in some form of true unity which I envision as reality.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

jerlands wrote: February 24th, 2018, 6:09 pm
Greta wrote: February 24th, 2018, 5:54 pm
Duality is simply echoing the principle creative force of expansion and contraction and this exists in every form of matter including energy which is expressed as an oscillation between hi and lo. We have no escape from duality except possibly in some form of true unity which I envision as reality.
Where is the problem with duality? Why escape it? It's life.

Yes, life can be hard and it rarely involves the brain-bending bliss of peak experiences, which are said to be moments of unity. I've been there and it was incredible and life changing, but much too intense a state to be sustainable. The simple, inglorious slow burn of life is not so bad IMO.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

jerlands wrote: February 24th, 2018, 5:42 pm
Does the mind have any connection with the senses? What you're saying implies it doesn't..

Again, it seems you're separating the mind from the senses? There is no physical state, either in meditation or an isolation chamber, that will separate us from our senses. Sense is simply duality, it's this compared with that. If we breath we are experiencing duality.
Not me.

The OP says: Everything we percive as real is created in our minds. If that was the case, then we do not have senses. We might think we sense external things but if Everything we percive as real is created in our minds we don't.

So my point is that when the OP goes on to speak of what is 'real' or 'true' these words are meaningless, because if 'everything' is created in our minds then there is no external standard to which we can compare particular thoughts.

We are left stuck in solipsism with no possibility of escape.
Me: They would neither be right or wrong. They might be valid, meaning that we had applied the rules of whatever system we had adopted, but that would not give us a 'fact', it would not tell us anything about any 'reality'.

The notion of right and wrong.. Doesn't right imply 'moving in a straight line' and wrong 'crooked?' Logic is a straight line where we can get from point a to point b without deviation. The problem with logic defining a state is that things don't exist in logical sense but coexist in dimension with everything else. It's like logically expressing fire so that it's comprehensible without experience

Right or wrong as described in the OP

Logic does not move us in a straight line, if that implies we end up somewhere different from where we started. Rather, it prevents us from wandering. It does not allow us to make unstated assumptions.

Like the examples in the OP, it is tautological. It only allows you to put what you started with in a different way. It doesn't tell you that what you started with, or end with, is 'true' in that it corresponds to a 'state'. Nothing 'exists in a logical sense', logic doesn't relate to existence at all.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream