Is intuition a legitimate sense?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Re: Is intuition a legitimate sense?

Post by Hereandnow » September 14th, 2018, 8:17 am

Yes, but when you explain all of these processes, your understanding comes into play, and the question here is when you speak the word 'brain' have you any understanding of any of the explanatory structures that lie underneath this? I say no,because all explanations are bound the dynamics of language and have little to do with any transcendental absolute existential setting it may "be" in.
That doesn't stop us from doing and tinking, it is just that the question here addressed is that of intuition, and intuition lies beneath language/knowledge claims, beyond them.

Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost » September 14th, 2018, 8:37 am

Hence why I said “unconscious”.

We can at least make some educated guesses. Intuition is “felt” and “talked about”. If we’re talking something that isn’t “felt” or “talked” about then ... why bother pretending there is anything to talk about?

We can infer, and we’re kind of in the habit of doing so meaningfully or not. That is human.
AKA badgerjelly

Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow » September 14th, 2018, 10:35 am

You have to address the question what are we doing when we talk about things. I hold that talk is pragmatic in nature, as is thought--judgment, belief, knowing, and so on. When a thought occurs in my head, it is an historical event issuing from millennia of pragmatic interfacing with the world, that is, engaging the world to figure how things are in order to solve problems. We are in our talk and thought carrying the torch of the history of pragmatic symbologies that "made" utterances like "pass the salt" possible. This look at language puts the Real in the hands of what works. So, as to the brain: We use this term a lot, but its meaning rests not with the intuition, what Kierkegaard (my current muse) called the eternal present, but with the language that is what terms like 'brain' is all about, i.e.,pragmatics.

As to pretending there is anything to talk about, I rather like this. Is there any kind of discussion that is not "pretending" in its nature? This can be asked a different way: Is there anything that a person do to get beyond the mere pragmatics of the language we use to talk about the world?

Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost » September 14th, 2018, 12:40 pm

H&N -

What you call “intuition” I don’t. Let’s leave it at that.
AKA badgerjelly

ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes » September 14th, 2018, 12:43 pm

It's simple enough.
When we define senses as inputs from the nervous system to the brain, then anything the brain does with those inputs is not a sense, as such.
Therefore intuition in the widest possible definition or the narrowest, is not a legitimate sense.