Can we 'know' anything?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
selfless

Post by selfless »

MyshiningOne wrote:
Boy, did this come out of your brain? This
is pretty smart! Change is a part of everything, and
without it we cannot know about how there is
a way for change to come about. Without stillness
there cannot be movement. Without evil, there
cannot be goodness... A man cannot really know
true happiness if he is never experienced sorrow
in his life...I get what you're saying.
Amazing insight!
I find it hard to discern sarcasm from true feelings through this medium. I meant to share my thoughts and discuss them. What thoughts are original? Thoughts always seem to be based on previous thoughts of others that are interpreted in different fashions related to unique situations of the observer. It's as though all thoughts are syntax of others thoughts?

If you are ridiculing me for stating the obvious, then my only response is that I have been reading alot of Advaita philosophy,as of late, and trying to put what I have concluded into some fashion of understanding regarding truth cloaked in the illusion of knowing.
MyshiningOne

Post by MyshiningOne »

selfless wrote:
MyshiningOne wrote:
Boy, did this come out of your brain? This
is pretty smart! Change is a part of everything, and
without it we cannot know about how there is
a way for change to come about. Without stillness
there cannot be movement. Without evil, there
cannot be goodness... A man cannot really know
true happiness if he is never experienced sorrow
in his life...I get what you're saying.
Amazing insight!
I find it hard to discern sarcasm from true feelings through this medium. I meant to share my thoughts and discuss them. What thoughts are original? Thoughts always seem to be based on previous thoughts of others that are interpreted in different fashions related to unique situations of the observer. It's as though all thoughts are syntax of others thoughts?

If you are ridiculing me for stating the obvious, then my only response is that I have been reading alot of Advaita philosophy,as of late, and trying to put what I have concluded into some fashion of understanding regarding truth cloaked in the illusion of knowing.
I wasn't ridiculing you at all. I really liked what you had written. I didn't literally mean that
those were your original thoughts; I know that our thoughts have probably been stated before. Nothing is
original. I just thought that that was a superb
point you made, and I wanted to know where you
found it. I did not mean to offend you.
It's not what you know that makes
you smart, it's knowing what you don't know.
selfless

Post by selfless »

MyshiningOne wrote:
selfless wrote: I find it hard to discern sarcasm from true feelings through this medium. I meant to share my thoughts and discuss them. What thoughts are original? Thoughts always seem to be based on previous thoughts of others that are interpreted in different fashions related to unique situations of the observer. It's as though all thoughts are syntax of others thoughts?

I wasn't ridiculing you at all. I really liked what you had written. I didn't literally mean that
those were your original thoughts; I know that our thoughts have probably been stated before. Nothing is
The thoughts were mine. They came from my interest in Advaita. Ramana Maharshi and J. Krishnamurti are two great minds that have influenced my thoughts. The other influence was Jesus of Nazareth. He embodied the selfless philosophy.
MyshiningOne

Post by MyshiningOne »

selfless wrote:
MyshiningOne wrote: I wasn't ridiculing you at all. I really liked what you had written. I didn't literally mean that
The thoughts were mine. They came from my interest in Advaita. Ramana Maharshi and J. Krishnamurti are two great minds that have influenced my thoughts. The other influence was Jesus of Nazareth. He embodied the selfless philosophy.
That's very interesting. I'll have to check out
some of their ideas. Of course, the last one is
very familiar to me, but I'll have to read some
of the philosophies of the other two.
It's not what you know that makes
you smart, it's knowing what you don't know.
cynicallyinsane

Post by cynicallyinsane »

Jesus didn't leave any writings behind. We only have what other people say.
complimentarymatters

Post by complimentarymatters »

I don't see how we could know anything because everything we think we know is based on other pretenses which could be false.
kyle22

Post by kyle22 »

I know that Washington, DC is the capital of the United States. You guys are trying to redefine the word know.
Samhains

Post by Samhains »

For one to answer that question they would have to know everything, would they not?
fiftyfifty

Post by fiftyfifty »

So here I am, sitting in this god-forsaken desert. My children have not eaten for days. I have not eaten for days. Our hunger and thirst have taken over our whole beings. We are suffering badly.
If this that was happening to us was not real, my suffering would remain real to me…even if it was unreal. Telling me that the misery that surrounds me is not real, somehow doesn’t make the pain go away…even though it may be unreal. For me there is no difference between “knowing” and “feeling”. For what I “know”, I have come to know through what I “feel” (and see, and hear, and taste, and smell.)
Whether my reality is real or not, whether my suffering is real or not….I am really suffering…and that reality is all that matters to me now.
Samhains

Post by Samhains »

fiftyfifty wrote:So here I am, sitting in this god-forsaken desert. My children have not eaten for days. I have not eaten for days. Our hunger and thirst have taken over our whole beings. We are suffering badly.
If this that was happening to us was not real, my suffering would remain real to me…even if it was unreal. Telling me that the misery that surrounds me is not real, somehow doesn’t make the pain go away…even though it may be unreal. For me there is no difference between “knowing” and “feeling”. For what I “know”, I have come to know through what I “feel” (and see, and hear, and taste, and smell.)
Whether my reality is real or not, whether my suffering is real or not….I am really suffering…and that reality is all that matters to me now.
Suffering is a state of mind.
There is a buddha boy who has gone six month with out food or water..The Buddha boy from napal..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4797064.stm
fiftyfifty

Post by fiftyfifty »

Do you really believe that hunger and thirst is just a state of mind? I mean...really?
There is a buddha boy who has gone six month with out food or water..The Buddha boy from napal..

Have you read the whole article? How about the follwing paragraph from the article?:

"They refused, however, to allow any independent investigation about the health conditions of Bomjan saying that "it would disturb him.""

How about this part?:

"The authorities also did not intervene to avoid hurting local feeling."
Samhains

Post by Samhains »

fiftyfifty wrote:
Do you really believe that hunger and thirst is just a state of mind? I mean...really?

Have you read the whole article? How about the follwing paragraph from the article?:

"They refused, however, to allow any independent investigation about the health conditions of Bomjan saying that "it would disturb him.""

How about this part?:

"The authorities also did not intervene to avoid hurting local feeling."
....and did you read the bible when they said to Jesus "and by what authority do you speak?" and he replyed "And by what authority did john the baptist speak?"

what your missing, and what they did not write, is that in the begining people stayed with him all night, and there are other articals..this one you read was wrote Last Updated: Saturday, 11 March 2006, 15:36 GMT That was last year, he has done a fair bit since then, just starting you at the first stone on the path kinda...up to you to researsh more about him..or course they would let doctors look at him.

IT WOULD DISTURB THE MEDITATION = THUS HIS WHOLE REASON FOR BEING THERE - IT IS A 6 YEAR MEDITATION HE IS GOING INTO...
fiftyfifty

Post by fiftyfifty »

IT WOULD DISTURB THE MEDITATION = THUS HIS WHOLE REASON FOR BEING THERE - IT IS A 6 YEAR MEDITATION HE IS GOING INTO....
If you are willing to believe that another person went without food and water for six months (and lived to tell the tale), there is no sense in us continuing this debate. If you believe that tale...well you can believe anything. I am willing to go into a debate with anyone, as long as the debate follows a rational path. I am not willing to waste my time arguing about the existence of the tooth fairy. Sorry.
Samhains

Post by Samhains »

fiftyfifty wrote:
IT WOULD DISTURB THE MEDITATION = THUS HIS WHOLE REASON FOR BEING THERE - IT IS A 6 YEAR MEDITATION HE IS GOING INTO....
If you are willing to believe that another person went without food and water for six months (and lived to tell the tale), there is no sense in us continuing this debate. If you believe that tale...well you can believe anything. I am willing to go into a debate with anyone, as long as the debate follows a rational path. I am not willing to waste my time arguing about the existence of the tooth fairy. Sorry.
If you believe that a person can not go without food and water for six months then your right there is no reason to continue this, because I have seen my wife, after her gastro-bipass go 8 months with out food and only allowed 3 shot glasses of water a day..you piss out more than that. So anyways like I said if you dont believe that a person can do this then there is no reason continuing this...
And I have seen fairys befor..
james1951

Post by james1951 »

captain_crunk wrote:To me it seems pretty obvious that we do know some things, but that the problem lies in how we know that we know them. I mean, no matter what we can pretty much question how reliable any source of information is.

For example. I KNOW that I'm posting something on a philosophy discussion forum right now. How do I know? I'm seeing it happen before my eyes. But how do I know that my firsthand account of this is a reliable source? Sadly I don't. I just sort of have to...trust it I guess. Dunno.
But how "real" is what you are posting? Are you actually posting it physically or are you just dreaming that you are posting it? What if you suddenly walk up and though. Wow I was dreaming that I was posting a message on an online discussion group. All of a sudden you would realize that it was just a dream. What if all of reality is just a dream that we are dreaming. ANd that all of us are just characters in the imagination of an awareness that has no physical exixtence at all. Just an awareness.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream