Why does Existence Exist?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Sealight

Re: Why does Existence Exist?

Post by Sealight »

Present awareness wrote:I would not say that time is motion. Time is a human concept,
I believe that everything, expressed in words or so, is just a human concept. Say, the Sun is a concept, because how we understand it and what it is in reality are two different things. Another example of a human concept would be Existence.
Vijaydevani

Post by Vijaydevani »

UniversalAlien wrote: "Why does Existence Exist?" Can we question the reason for existence itself :?: Or is it a totally impossible question with no hope of even a vague answer?

I will start with no opinion of my own - But would be curious if any of you had a view on this - Can we question the state of
existence itself? - And if you do, what can you come up with :?:

If existence did not exist, then there would be non-existence. Existence exists simply because it cannot be otherwise. I don't think why existence exists is a relevant question simply because without existence even the question would not exist.
A little knowledge is a religious thing.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Vijaydevani wrote:
UniversalAlien wrote: "Why does Existence Exist?" Can we question the reason for existence itself :?: Or is it a totally impossible question with no hope of even a vague answer?

I will start with no opinion of my own - But would be curious if any of you had a view on this - Can we question the state of
existence itself? - And if you do, what can you come up with :?:

If existence did not exist, then there would be non-existence. Existence exists simply because it cannot be otherwise. I don't think why existence exists is a relevant question simply because without existence even the question would not exist.
Hard to argue with that

But somehow I keep seeing :?: :?: :?:

Like the :?: will not go away - Does existence need to question itself :?: As part of its very existence :?:

Tell me I'm never too old to learn :!:
Vijaydevani

Post by Vijaydevani »

UniversalAlien wrote:
Vijaydevani wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Hard to argue with that

But somehow I keep seeing :?: :?: :?:

Like the :?: will not go away - Does existence need to question itself :?: As part of its very existence :?:

Tell me I'm never too old to learn :!:
You are assuming that existence has a consciousness. I don't see any reason to assume that. The primary property of existence seems to be existence itself. It probably is subject to change of state which is probably how this space time universe came into being.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Vijaydevani wrote:
UniversalAlien wrote: (Nested quote removed.)
Assuming :?: - And you are assuming that existence can exist without being consciousness.

I don't understand unconscious existence - To me existence is in fact always conscious

Consciousness is existence - No consciousness - no existence.

-- Updated September 29th, 2016, 11:25 pm to add the following --

"All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force... We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind. This Mind is the matrix of all matter".
-Max Planck

Max Karl Ernst Ludwig Planck, FRS was a German theoretical physicist whose work on quantum theory won him the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1918.
Vijaydevani

Post by Vijaydevani »

UniversalAlien wrote: Assuming :?: - And you are assuming that existence can exist without being consciousness.

I don't understand unconscious existence - To me existence is in fact always conscious

Consciousness is existence - No consciousness - no existence.

-- Updated September 29th, 2016, 11:25 pm to add the following --

"All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force... We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind. This Mind is the matrix of all matter".
-Max Planck

Max Karl Ernst Ludwig Planck, FRS was a German theoretical physicist whose work on quantum theory won him the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1918.
Self organization is an unconscious process. And consciousness seems to a product of brain activity. Attributing it to non physical entities appears a bit far fetched.

-- Updated September 30th, 2016, 2:14 pm to add the following --

Maybe you just need to focus on studying unconscious processes. It will open up the possibility of existence without consciousness. That we have it is another matter altogether. It does not mean it has always existed.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Vijaydevani wrote: Self organization is an unconscious process. And consciousness seems to a product of brain activity. Attributing it to non physical entities appears a bit far fetched.

Maybe you just need to focus on studying unconscious processes. It will open up the possibility of existence without consciousness. That we have it is another matter altogether. It does not mean it has always existed.
Unconscious processes :?: You have to be conscious of this so called 'unconscious processes' to postulate its existence.

Again, back to my favorite physcist of the 20th Century:

"I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness."
- Max Planck {As quoted in The Observer (25 January 1931)

"Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve."
- Max Planck

Put it this way; You postulate 'Unconscious processes' - but how can you prove an existent state, or unconscious processes'
without a conscious mind :?: - Your conscious mind is giving meaning and in fact consciousness to an unconscious process
- I agree with Planck, you can not get behind consciousness - No consciousness, no existence.
Vijaydevani

Post by Vijaydevani »

UniversalAlien wrote:
Vijaydevani wrote: Self organization is an unconscious process. And consciousness seems to a product of brain activity. Attributing it to non physical entities appears a bit far fetched.

Unconscious processes :?: You have to be conscious of this so called 'unconscious processes' to postulate its existence.

Again, back to my favorite physcist of the 20th Century:

"I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness."
- Max Planck {As quoted in The Observer (25 January 1931)

"Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve."
- Max Planck

Put it this way; You postulate 'Unconscious processes' - but how can you prove an existent state, or unconscious processes'
without a conscious mind :?: - Your conscious mind is giving meaning and in fact consciousness to an unconscious process
- I agree with Planck, you can not get behind consciousness - No consciousness, no existence.
I am not conscious of it. But everything seems to point in that direction. We can never be certain. But nothing suggests that the mysterious nature of nature consists of a conscious will.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Universal Alien:
No consciousness, no existence.
No consciousness, no awareness or knowledge or talk or claims of existence. If as Planck said, we cannot get behind consciousness then we cannot affirm that without consciousness there is no existence. That is an epistemological rather than ontological claim. Failure to understand the difference leads to all kinds of confusion, nonsense, and unsubstantiated claims.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Fooloso4 wrote: ............Failure to understand the difference leads to all kinds of confusion, nonsense, and unsubstantiated claims.
And isn't that what philosophy is all about :?: :lol:

I think what Planck was trying to get at is the limit, the wall you come to where you can go no further.
- Again - How can you possibly comprehend or postulate an existent state
that is outside of comprehension? - If you want to say there is an incomprehensible world that exists go ahead
- But for all practical purposes it doesn't exist until it is comprehended as existing and we are conscious of it.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

UniversalAlien:
I think what Planck was trying to get at is the limit, the wall you come to where you can go no further.
But that is quite different than the claim that no consciousness no existence. It is also quite different than Planck’s claim about consciousness being fundamental. I do not know Planck’s work. When he says, as you quoted: “I regard matter as derivative from consciousness” this might mean a consciousness that gives rise to the physical world or that our concept of matter is dependent on and determined by our consciousness. Which is it?
But for all practical purposes it doesn't exist until it is comprehended as existing and we are conscious of it.
If that were true than for all practical purposes we would not explore anything beyond what we are already conscious of because it makes no sense to search for things that do not exist. In practical terms it is just the opposite. We become aware of things we did not know existed and we are then confronted with the task of trying to comprehend them.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

UniversalAlien wrote:
But for all practical purposes it doesn't exist until it is comprehended as existing and we are conscious of it.

Fooloso4 replied:
If that were true than for all practical purposes we would not explore anything beyond what we are already conscious of because it makes no sense to search for things that do not exist. In practical terms it is just the opposite. We become aware of things we did not know existed and we are then confronted with the task of trying to comprehend them.
Yes and no - You make a good point But:

Do Unicorns and fanciful creatures exist? - Some people think they do - But until proven they are just fantasy.

Science searches for things and makes assumptions based upon what is known - there is a basis for enquiry and yes things
are discovered that were not known to exist - But until the existent state is established how do you know of its existence?
- how can you prove its existence? - So I still maintain "for all practical purposes it doesn't exist until it is comprehended as existing and we are conscious of it" - And can prove it.

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.”
― Max Planck

You might debate that statement - But actual experiments done on what is sometimes called 'the observer effect'
have proven this to be true.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

UniversalAlien:
Do Unicorns and fanciful creatures exist?
I would not recommend doing a search for them unless it was a search of fantasy literature. I’m not sure I see the point.
Science searches for things and makes assumptions based upon what is known …
Much exploration is done in a particular region or area and not for particular things.
But until the existent state is established how do you know of its existence?
You don’t, but the fact that you find it shows that its existence is not dependent upon our awareness of it. Only what we see and say and come to know about it is dependent upon our awareness.
how can you prove its existence?
You can’t but that does not mean its existence is dependent on our ability to prove its existence.
"for all practical purposes it doesn't exist until it is comprehended as existing and we are conscious of it”
I would modify this to say for some practical purposes. Consider, for example, exploratory surgery.
“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.”
This may be true at the quantum level but not at the human or astronomical level. When I look at a star it changes nothing about it, because I am not seeing it as it is but how it was millions of years ago.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Fooloso4 wrote:
This may be true at the quantum level but not at the human or astronomical level. When I look at a star it changes nothing about it, because I am not seeing it as it is but how it was millions of years ago.
And in millions of years can you prove that this observation is exactly the same as it would be when observed back then
- prove that nothing has changed in the here and now that would effect the there and then :?:

“We have no right to assume that any physical laws exist, or if they have existed up to now, that they will continue to exist in a similar manner in the future.”
― Max Planck, The Universe in the Light of Modern Physics
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

And in millions of years can you prove that this observation is exactly the same as it would be when observed back then …
I would not try to prove such a thing because it is simply not true. Nothing is static and unchanging. Right now there could be things happening is distance stars that we will not know about for millions of years.
… prove that nothing has changed in the here and now that would effect the there and then
Anything approaching proof would be based on our current understanding of how things work. What change can observing something here and now change what was then and there? Since nothing like this has ever been observed the burden of proof lies with the extraordinary claim that what happens here and now can have such an effect. The ability to call something into question does not mean that it is reasonable to do so.
“We have no right to assume that any physical laws exist, or if they have existed up to now, that they will continue to exist in a similar manner in the future.”
It would be misleading to address this without the proper context which would include what he means by physical laws. If he means laws that require things to happen in a certain way because they are controlled by laws then I might agree, but that is because I think of laws as descriptive not prescriptive. They tell us how things do behave. Can that change? Maybe, I don’t know but I suspect that any change is potentially explainable based on physical laws. I see no reason to assume that tomorrow the universe as we know it will become radically different. Can you prove that tomorrow you will not be a banana?

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream