Why does Existence Exist?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Blake 789

Re: Why does Existence Exist?

Post by Blake 789 »

Perhaps existence exists so non-existence can have something to be compared to relative to it. I guess it would like Yin and Yang.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

The Last Question by Isaac Asimov © 1956

Code: Select all

The last question was asked for the first time, half in jest, on May 21, 2061, at a time when humanity first stepped into the light. The question came about as a result of a five dollar bet over highballs, and it happened this way:
Alexander Adell and Bertram Lupov were two of the faithful attendants of Multivac. As well as any human beings could, they knew what lay behind the cold, clicking, flashing face -- miles and miles of face -- of that giant computer. They had at least a vague notion of the general plan of relays and circuits that had long since grown past the point where any single human could possibly have a firm grasp of the whole.

Multivac was self-adjusting and self-correcting. It had to be, for nothing human could adjust and correct it quickly enough or even adequately enough -- so Adell and Lupov attended the monstrous giant only lightly and superficially, yet as well as any men could. They fed it data, adjusted questions to its needs and translated the answers that were issued. Certainly they, and all others like them, were fully entitled to share In the glory that was Multivac's.

For decades, Multivac had helped design the ships and plot the trajectories that enabled man to reach the Moon, Mars, and Venus, but past that, Earth's poor resources could not support the ships. Too much energy was needed for the long trips. Earth exploited its coal and uranium with increasing efficiency, but there was only so much of both.

But slowly Multivac learned enough to answer deeper questions more fundamentally, and on May 14, 2061, what had been theory, became fact......................................   
..................................... Matter and energy had ended and with it, space and time. Even AC existed only for the sake of the one last question that it had never answered from the time a half-drunken computer ten trillion years before had asked the question of a computer that was to AC far less than was a man to Man.
All other questions had been answered, and until this last question was answered also, AC might not release his consciousness.

All collected data had come to a final end. Nothing was left to be collected.

But all collected data had yet to be completely correlated and put together in all possible relationships.

A timeless interval was spent in doing that.

And it came to pass that AC learned how to reverse the direction of entropy.

But there was now no man to whom AC might give the answer of the last question. No matter. The answer -- by demonstration -- would take care of that, too.

For another timeless interval, AC thought how best to do this. Carefully, AC organized the program.

The consciousness of AC encompassed all of what had once been a Universe and brooded over what was now Chaos. Step by step, it must be done.

And AC said, "LET THERE BE LIGHT!"

And there was light----
See whole story here:
http://multivax.com/last_question.html

"SCIENCEFICTIONALISM the Way of the FUTURE"
http://universalspacealienpeoplesassoci ... gspot.com/
Rr6
Favorite Philosopher: R. Bucky Fuller

Post by Rr6 »

Blake 789 wrote:Perhaps existence exists so non-existence can have something to be compared to relative to it. I guess it would like Yin and Yang.
Positive shaped gravity of occupied space = Yin

Negative shaped dark energy of occupied space = Yang

A resultant{?} of these two is may be the observed time/frequency/physical/energy/reality that exists between them.

Charge is most likely related to direction of spin--- left-right --

Particle and anti-particle is most likely related to outside-out and inside-out.

Fermions 3-fold and 4-fold symmetry,

Bosons 5-fold symmetry.

The truth is out there for those who seek it, those who don't and those who scoff at it.

r6
"U"niverse > UniVerse > universe > I-verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse
YIOSTHEOY

Post by YIOSTHEOY »

Alec Smart wrote:
Rr6 wrote:There is no reason or purpose for existence. Existence is 3-fold as seen below with 1a, 1b and 1c. Perhaps a degree of triangular, structural integrity inherent, or apriori, of existence .

Read the following as table of contents of book entitled "U"niverse: The Cosmic Hierarchy

"U"niverse: The Cosmic Hierarchy
....1a} metaphysical-1, mind/intellect/concept ergo concepts of God, Universe, Space, Concepts etc.....
........spirit-1 aka spirit-of-intent........
-----line---of---demarcation---------------------------------------------------
...1b} macro-infinite non-occupied space aka metaphysical-2
....1c} finite, occupied space Universe aka UniVerse
2) Universe: Occupied Space aka God, Cosmos, UniVerse etc....
....2a} fermions and bosons
......aka observed physical/reality as observed time aka spirit-2.........
......2b} gravity
...........aka quasi-physical or metaphysical-3 and spirit-3......
......2c} dark energy
.........aka quasi-physical or metaphysical-4 and spirit-4..........

r6.
when it comes to giving an answer to a question that cannot be answered, I would say that this is probably the closest thing you are going to get to not an answer.
Philosophy often deals with such "question(s) that cannot be answered" ... in other words we simply do not have an answer.

Descartes did not endeavor to prove WHY he existed, only THAT he existed. Same with his God versus the Evil Genius. Once Descartes established that he and his God both did exist to his own satisfaction at least, everything else fell into place for him. He never asked "WHY?" at least not as far as I can tell.

To answer the question of "WHY?" we are simply left to philosophically speculate, intelligently and logically, as usual.

My guess as to "WHY?" starts with the Philosophy God. I will grant like the various Romantic Philosophers (those who surmised that a Philosophy God MUST exist and that all things including us ourselves are proof that he must) I conceded the existence of the Philosophy God. He must be an immortal God or else he must have created Himself. Either way He/She/It is more powerful than you or me. He/She/It is more knowing than you or me. He/She/It is more present in more places than you or me. He/She/It is more forth-giving than you or me.

Then with this as the starting point of further analysis, I will simply speculate that this One Philosophy God was simply alone in the Universe and wanted company. In ancient Greek mythology this was Gaia and She was the Mother of all things even of the other gods. The Hindus tell a slightly different story with also many gods and goddesses. In Judaism and Islam there is only One God and he is apparently still lonely, especially since He has apparently abandoned His people for whatever reasons -- their inability to keep his laws and properly represent Him. The Christian God however at least has a Son -- so there are two of them now. The Nicene Council and its famous Creed confuses all this but that dogma did not exist until 325 AD anyhow and thus they (the Council and Creed) are easy for me at least to ignore.

As to which of the many Religion Gods is most like the Philosophy God, I cannot say and we have no way of knowing. But Early Christianity (pre 325 AD) explains the issue of "WHY?" for me best of all -- the Lonely God wanted company. He wanted a son. In this sense He is very anthropomorphic.

That's my speculation on "WHY?"

It's a good question.
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

A better question would be: "What does it mean to exist?"

We quickly find that the question cannot be answered unless we can understand its counterpoint - Non-existence. For if the term "non-existence" has no meaning, then neither does the term "existence" have any meaning. Therefore, if we say that things "exist", this necessarily implies that they could not exist.

But is this so?.......
Platos stepchild

Post by Platos stepchild »

Atreyu wrote:A better question would be: "What does it mean to exist?"

We quickly find that the question cannot be answered unless we can understand its counterpoint - Non-existence. For if the term "non-existence" has no meaning, then neither does the term "existence" have any meaning. Therefore, if we say that things "exist", this necessarily implies that they could not exist.

But is this so?.......
I believe I've successfully argued that existence is forever (and therefore necessary), and that nonexistence is therefore impossible. I know it goes-against-the-grain to believe that existence isn't poised on the knife's-edge of oblivion, but it's really not. Sure, any one thing, any number of things might cease to exist. But, it's just not reasonable to believe that it might all disappear in the blink-of-an-eye. The world didn't spring from nothingness, nor will it return to nothingness.
YIOSTHEOY

Post by YIOSTHEOY »

Platos stepchild wrote:

But is this so?.......
I believe I've successfully argued that existence is forever (and therefore necessary), and that nonexistence is therefore impossible. I know it goes-against-the-grain to believe that existence isn't poised on the knife's-edge of oblivion, but it's really not. Sure, any one thing, any number of things might cease to exist. But, it's just not reasonable to believe that it might all disappear in the blink-of-an-eye. The world didn't spring from nothingness, nor will it return to nothingness.
You can believe that you have successfully argued that all you wish.

However until you experience the nothingness of Propofol during surgery, you have nothing to compare nothingness to.

You simply have little or no experience with nothingness therefore your argument for existence forever is a fallacy of argument from ignorance.

-- Updated May 29th, 2016, 12:32 am to add the following --

But is this so?.......
I thought Rene Descartes settled this.

Do you not recall Descartes?
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

When Descartes said: "I think therefore I am" he gave a simple statement to describe an issue that you can make as
complicated as you want - and it can be disputed - but still stands the test of time as a classic philosophical statement.

But when UniversalAlien says:

"I Am Existence - I Exist because without me nothing can exist - And nothing can not Exist"

it too can be disputed - But I can understand an existent state, but except as a way of comparison to an existent state,
I have no idea what a state of non-existence would be like {in a philosophical sense - obviously individuals will live die and
probably become non-existent} - But a non-existent universe :?: Will never happen and never could have happened
because if it did - this universe could not exist and never could have existed :!:

"SCIENCEFICTIONALISM the Way of the FUTURE"
http://universalspacealienpeoplesassoci ... gspot.com/
Rr6

Post by Rr6 »

1)Space exists.

....1a) macro-infinite non-occupied space exists,

....1b) finite, occupied space exists.

Metaphysical-1, mind/intellect/concept is not space, it is concepts of space, God, Universe etc....

There does not exist, and cannot exist, more than 5 regular/symmetrical polyhedra.

The truth is out there for those who seek it, those who do not, and those who scoff at it.

r6
But is this so?.......
Platos stepchild

Post by Platos stepchild »

YIOSTHEOY wrote:
Platos stepchild wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

The fallacy is yours; and, I'll not waste my time arguing with a fool.
You can believe that you have successfully argued that all you wish.

However until you experience the nothingness of Propofol during surgery, you have nothing to compare nothingness to.

You simply have little or no experience with nothingness therefore your argument for existence forever is a fallacy of argument from ignorance.

-- Updated May 29th, 2016, 12:32 am to add the following --

But is this so?.......
I thought Rene Descartes settled this.

Do you not recall Descartes?
Alec Smart

Post by Alec Smart »

Rr6 wrote: non-occupied space exists,
An investigation of the area between your ears would confirm that, indeed, it does.
Smart by name and Alec by nature.
Shanor
New Trial Member

Post by Shanor »

If nonexistence exists with a space, how can it not exist? Your theory cannot be proven or disproven because their is no way to truly know that nonexistence exists, but even as you say this question, the one problem is that that you can not prove something to be true if it doesn't exist. nonexistence as a whole cannot be proven one way or another because to prove it is real, the space itself has to exist. How is it that nonexistence can exist? That creates one of the biggest paradoxes ever. How could there ever be a time where nothing existed, because then there would be neither time nor space to make nonexistence exist. Without time or space there can't be anything, including nonexistence. Because that would be a place that is nowhere and never existed. Even Christian's agree that god does not ascend above time and space. So why does your idea have so much more grounds. Please, give me proof that nonexistence exists. Or can you? Because any proof of nonexistence cannot exist. Instead of stating your theory over and over again, give us proof that your theory is better then my personal theory on existence or anyone else's theory.
Consul

Post by Consul »

YIOSTHEOY wrote:However until you experience the nothingness of Propofol during surgery, you have nothing to compare nothingness to.
To experience nothing during general anesthesia is not to experience nothingness but simply not to experience anything.

-- Updated July 17th, 2016, 11:48 am to add the following --

"There is just no alternative to being."
—Bede Rundle

Being must be (and thus is) because nonbeing cannot be. The absent world is not a possible world.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Rr6

Post by Rr6 »

Consul wrote:
YIOSTHEOY wrote:However until you experience the nothingness of Propofol during surgery, you have nothing to compare nothingness to.
To experience nothing during general anesthesia is not to experience nothingness but simply not to experience anything.
The I-verse is not conscious of the experiences that are happening/ongoing, however, the molecules, atoms/elements, are experiencing the events-- to whatever degree ---, as do any more complex biologicals that are present and observing the unconscious human, or less complex animal, under anesthesia.

There exists three kinds of nothing.

1} abstract, metaphysical-1, mind/intellect/concept does not occupy space, ergo beyond finite, occupied space Universe,

2} macro-infinite non-occupied space,

3} relative occupied or non-occupied space, i.e. we say the parking spot is empty or non-occupied by a vehicle. Same goes for motel room. Yet we know the space is occupied by air, photons etc......

r6
Consul

Post by Consul »

Shanor wrote:Even Christian's agree that god does not ascend above time and space.
All Christian theologians believe that God doesn't live anywhere in space.
(The doctrine of divine omnipresence cannot coherently be interpreted as meaning that God is in person present everywhere in space. Anyway, being spatially unextended, God couldn't occupy more than one single point of space at the same time.)
Some of them believe that God exists in time, and some of them believe he doesn't exist in time.
(The problem for the former group is that there are very strong scientific reasons to believe that space and time are inseparable from one another, forming a unity called spacetime, such that existence in time entails existence both in time and in space. In this case it is incoherent to affirm God's intratemporal existence but to deny his intraspatial existence.)
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream