Anything is possible

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
BelieveNothing

Re: Anything is possible

Post by BelieveNothing »

What I just hinted at is that among an infinite number of realities that we can never observe we happen to be and belong in the one and only one where anything is possible and it is true whether we can comprehend it or not. Things are true because they can be, the universe exists because it can do so. As a placeholder if something was impossible it would not be part of reality and can therefor be disregarded. I know saying 'something is true' because 'it can be' doesn't really prove anything but I seem to be running out of ideas... It's important to keep an open mind or risk never learning anything. When the one true reality that has 100% probability is surrounded by an infinite number of lower probability realities any reality that has a probability of zero is simply a placeholder and not really part of the picture. If anything was impossible it would be like background noise while the truth is that "anything is possible" and I'm struggling to find another way to explain this without simply stacking all my chips on the self contradictory summary that "even the impossible is possible". Just debunk my opinion with something impossible that you have witnessed or concluded if you can?
Trust me, seeing might be believing but the truth can be stranger than fiction.
Reality is not all in your mind.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

BelieveNothing wrote:Things are true because they can be, the universe exists because it can do so.
This is also my impression - like an existential version of the survival of the fittest.
BelieveNothing

Post by BelieveNothing »

Rr6 wrote:
The exist five and only five possible regular/symmetrical polyhedra of Universe. This is a relatively simple absolute truth that anyone can try for themselves.

Since it is an absolute it is true every where and every when irrespective of any alledegd multiverse scenario.

Simple not complex yet so few appear to be able to grasp it, acknowledge and accept it.

It is easier for rich human to go through the eye of a needle than some intellectuals to drop their ego. imho

r6
Forgive me for reiterating r6, but how would knowing an absolute truth ever prove that alternative perceptions can't be equally true or more so?

What I suggest is that as soon as you accept anything as absolute truth you are doomed to learn nothing since everything you ever learn is contrary to previous ignorance.

I've read some of your disputation that things will ever be explained in a way that would make you believe them. In my eyes even if a truth is absolute it can still be shown to be incomplete. Absolute truth is just an unreachable ideal! I often wish things were simple enough to be obvious to everyone. Proving one thing is true does not negate any alternatives. No matter what you believe or know there are always alternatives, that seems to be what makes 'the concept of infinity' comprehensive.

If only one thing is possible it must be that anything and everything is possible. I can accept your observations and opinions if I can understand them, but surely you understand that nothing can be proven? I like to disagree with everything I understand as a pathetic effort to learn more. To be honest, mate, I don't fully understand the majority of your criticisms..

-- Updated March 24th, 2017, 3:13 am to add the following --

If you say it's impossible that "anything is possible" you are not proving anything because it is possible that it is impossible that "anything is possible" but it can not be proven. Isn't the goal of philosophy to find truth? You could say it's impossible that it is possible that it is impossible that "anything is possible" but i guess people can see where this is going...

It is what it is, there are no final answers there are only questions. There is always an alternative and I am starting to think that the more something contradicts itself the more likely it is to be an accurate representation.
Rr6
Favorite Philosopher: R. Bucky Fuller

Post by Rr6 »

BNothing--I personally don't believe in absolute truths but prefer to accept things as 'possible'.
r6--There exist five and only five possible regular/symmetrical polyhedra of Universe. This is a relatively simple absolute truth that anyone can try for themselves. Since it is an absolute it is true every where and every when irrespective of any alledegd multiverse scenario.
Simple not complex yet so few appear to be able to grasp it, acknowledge and accept it.

And just to add to that given absolute truth above, there exist no infinite set of possible realities. What is possible is limited/finite to a finite set of cosmic laws/principles. One of those mentioned above.
Forgive me for reiterating r6, but how would knowing an absolute truth ever prove that alternative perceptions can't be equally true or more so?
Ive stated nothing about there being no alternative perceptions. There is no perception any regular/symmetrical polyhedra. If you have perception of regular/symmetrical polyhedra beyond finite set of five, then please by all means mention them to us.

You have no such regular/symmetrical polyhedra beyond the five. Stating "alternative perceptions" exist in no ways inviolate's the finite absolute set of five and only five regular/symmetrical five. Simple not complex to grasp.
What I suggest is that as soon as you accept anything as absolute truth you are doomed to learn nothing since everything you ever learn is contrary to previous ignorance.
Huh? I'm not sure where you think there is some kind of rational, logical common sense in that statement. Can you please be specific and give us example of how my given absolute truth above, that I and many others can learn nothing. This is just irrational illogical nonsense. Where did I state anything "contrary"? Your not making sense and making incorrect statements.
I've read some of your disputation that things will ever be explained in a way that would make you believe them. In my eyes even if a truth is absolute it can still be shown to be incomplete.
Again, show us some specific of what it is you think your trying to explain. Yes other polyhedra beyond those five regular/symmetrical. So what. I and no one here is stating other kinds of polyhedra do not exist.
Absolute truth is just an unreachable ideal!
No it is not. This is just irrational, illogical and lacks common sense when youve been presented with simple absolute truth.
I often wish things were simple enough to be obvious to everyone. Proving one thing is true does not negate any alternatives. No matter what you believe or know there are always alternatives, that seems to be what makes 'the concept of infinity' comprehensive.
Huh? Again, I no one else has stated other polyhedra do not exist. You really have nothing specific that is valid to offer us. The five and regular/symmetrical polyhedral exist along with many others. So what? No one denying that.
If only one thing is possible it must be that anything and everything is possible.
You sound similar to the current president and cronies lack of rational, logical common sense while offering only generalized 'alternative facts'. Please try and offer us something specific.
I can accept your observations and opinions if I can understand them, but surely you understand that nothing can be proven?
Let me try this for the umpteenth time, there can only exist five regular/symmetrical polyhedra of Universe. Prove to your self with pen and paper, and straws, or toothpicks or just plain ole rational, logical common sense associated with abstract concepts. Also use the internet where much of this has already been shown, as stated. Only five.
I like to disagree with everything I understand as a pathetic effort to learn more. To be honest, mate, I don't fully understand the majority of your criticisms..
Huh? Your way off the eight ball here dude, I and others have learned many things beyond one absolute truth, For you to suggest that I or others are suggesting that people can not lead anything beyond and absolute truth is irrational, illogical absurdity on your part.

PLease start using some rational, logical common sense and not try and short change others for your inability to recognize and accept that absolute truths exist.
If you say it's impossible that "anything is possible" you are not proving anything because it is possible that it is impossible that "anything is possible" but it can not be proven. Isn't the goal of philosophy to find truth? You could say it's impossible that it is possible that it is impossible that "anything is possible" but i guess people can see where this is going...
Anything is possible that does not violate the finite set cosmic laws/principle ergo absolute truths.. It is not possible for there to exist more than five regular/symmetrical polyhedra. End of story, irrespective of how many times you or others want to say and believe anything is possible, when anything is not possible.
It is what it is, there are no final answers there are only questions. There is always an alternative and I am starting to think that the more something contradicts itself the more likely it is to be an accurate representation.
The can only exist five regular/symmetrical polyhedra of Universe. If you have and alternative set of polyhedra that are regular/symmetrical then please share then with us. You do not ergo your comments continue to be illogical, irrational and lacks common sense. Simple not complex to grasp. At least for those who truly seek truth.

You do not appear to be one of those. At least in regards the existence of absolute truths.

r6
"U"niverse > UniVerse > universe > I-verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse
BelieveNothing

Post by BelieveNothing »

Rr6 wrote:me:
Huh? I'm not sure where you think there is some kind of rational, logical common sense in that statement. Can you please be specific and give us example of how my given absolute truth above, that I and many others can learn nothing. This is just irrational illogical nonsense. Where did I state anything "contrary"? Your not making sense and making incorrect statements.
The idea I'm trying to put forward is not straight forward because it has unlimited implications and applications. It's not even as straight forward as I once thought it was purely because it is easier to dismiss it as nonsense or misunderstand it completely than to accept it. The main problem is that it essentially contradicts itself, but I would like to try to explain in general terms - it's a challenge I probably can't overcome.

If any absolute truth is unquestionable or is not questioned then knowledge of it should be classed as a discovery because it is true whether you comprehend it or not.
That being the case, you should remember that everything you have ever learned could be classed as a discovery if you insist on it being classed as true.
What I meant when I said you will learn nothing is that all absolute truths are discoveries and how are you supposed to make new discoveries if you stop asking questions?
I hope this has made my previous comment a little clearer but I'm sorry to say a good explanation of this concept I'm trying to share with you would be beyond my scope if it had to cite a specific example where refusing to question something is folly. Let me try to summarize by stating something that seems obvious..

If you have discovered something then it is probably because you have been exploring and to explore something you have to be there, but once the exploration stops, I mean if and when you accept that the journey is over, the other places you could visit in any new exploration would also require that you be there and so you must abandon your first discovery before you can find anything else unless there is more to your first discovery than you thought you knew. I'm not sure if this analogy will help because it states within itself that i must not accept it as absolute and undeniable but I hope you get the picture.

And what I meant when I said that everything you ever learn is contrary to previous ignorance is that if you learn something you have discovered something by being in a different place than where you are ignorant of your surroundings or where there is nothing to be learned. Every discovery you make implies that something has changed whether it be your location, perception, knowledge base or state of mind. The only way you could ever continue to discover is if you continue to make changes so ultimately we must accept that nothing is ineffable but absolute truth. Like I said, it's an unreachable ideal. I'm not even going to start about higher dimensions in which things that are impossible in lower dimensions become possible - I'm not really referring specifically to geometry either. Geometry is just a useful tool and I get the impression you know that already but refuse to accept the limited scope.

-- Updated March 24th, 2017, 5:08 pm to add the following --

If you can accept that geometry is not much more than a useful tool you can understand that you should use the right tool for the job - intellect or intuition.
A fundamental truth in geometrical terms should not be applied to reality as a whole because however true your 'absolute truth' might be within it's own limits the fact still remains undiscovered whether or not an alternative can be better or more appropriate for what you are trying to accomplish.
Rr6

Post by Rr6 »

BelieveNothing---The idea I'm trying to put forward is not straight forward because it has unlimited implications and applications.
BN, your idea is not clearly stated and it is limited because,

1} we live in finite, occupied space Universe,

2} that is complemented by a finite set of cosmic laws/principles, ergo,

3} what is possible is limited to these two above, and that contradicts the idea of those who state "anything is possible". Just not true.

What I meant when I said you will learn nothing is that all absolute truths are discoveries and how are you supposed to make new discoveries if you stop asking questions?
Who here suggested that you or any humans should stop asking questions? Humans have discovered some absolute truths that are finite in scope yet universally true, i.e. the 5 and only 5 regular/symmetrical polyhedra is absolute irrespective of multi-verse ideas.
If you can accept that geometry is not much more than a useful tool you can understand that you should use the right tool for the job - intellect or intuition.
Geometry is the science of pattern. All aspects of our occupied space Universe are complemented by geometric pattern.

Geometry is what makes some cars, planes and trains more areo-dynamic than others. In this sense, metaphysical-1, mind/intellect/concepts as geometric pattern--- triangle square, curve etc ----appear to affect the occupied space. Shape of space is not definitive enough. Shape of occupied space is more definitive.
A fundamental truth in geometrical terms should not be applied to reality as a whole because however true your 'absolute truth' might be within it's own limits the fact still remains undiscovered whether or not an alternative can be better or more appropriate for what you are trying to accomplish.
Ditto my last above--- areo-dynamic --- for applying geometry to reality.

Triangulation is key to structural stability. Just ask any carpenter who builds buildings.

Quarks stabilize in threes as hadrons{ protrons, neutrons }

Two quarks semi stabilize and mesons( strong nuclear force } for extremely short periods of time.

Leptons come in 6 positive{ 2x3 } and 6 negative{ 2x3 } sets of electrons and neutrinos.

The hydrogen atom has three aspects;

1} electron,

2} proton,

3} stabilizing line-of-relationship{ charge? } between those two.

No time now to go on with this cosmic list.
r6
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

I might agree that "anything is possible" if you consider the Universe as a whole within the so called "multiverse" model. But in the Universe as we know and experience it (this "particular universe" in the multiverse view) nothing could be any different.

So pink unicorns existing is definitely possible in the multiverse model, because in some "parallel universe" things could have worked out that way. But in this particular "universe" such a thing is absolutely not possible, otherwise we'd have pink unicorns.
Rr6

Max Tegmark

Post by Rr6 »

Rr6--BN, your idea is not clearly stated and it is limited because,
1} we live in finite, occupied space Universe,
Universe/Uni-V-erse is inherent/intrinsically whole set of occupied space i.e. even multiverse scenarios a finite set [/color]of local universe's are all connected minimally by gravity ergo they are subset of
2} that is complemented by a finite set of cosmic laws/principles, ergo, Universe/Uni-V-erse.

In past, Ive read statements by Atreyu has posted saying, space does not exist. Believe that one and he will tell you other false statements just like it. Atreyu would have us believe that multiverse scenarios allow for "anything is possible".

Perhaps Atreyu had been reading Jacob Bekenstein statements that 'we appear to 2D creatures having an illusions of 3D' based on his black hole mathematics-- validated by Hawking ---- that led to holographic scenarios. I had first heard of Bekenstien via Lee Smolins books and via Scientic American article were his statement above 2D creatures is made.

I can find you sources that say the same as Ive stated since day one here at PF, that, no amount of philosophical hand-waving will violate absolutes truths ex the can exist only 5 regular/symmetrical polyhedra of Universe.

Here is someone else that agrees with what Ive stated. Max Tegmark at the link below. You not give him much credit/validity. Who do you trust/believe?

..." For example, any civilization interested in regular 3D polyhedra would discover that there are precisely 5 of them (the tetrahedron, cube, octahedron, dodecahedron and icosahedron). Whereas they’re free to invent whatever names they want for them, they’re *not* free to invent a 6th one – it simply doesn’t exist.

....The same applies to the mathematical structures that are popular in modern physics, from 3+1-dimensional pseudo-Riemannian manifolds to Hilbert spaces. Once we’ve classified all irreducible representations of the Poincare group, we’re not free to invent new ones!"....
http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/word ... 51&cpage=1

My response to its all an illusion, that Ive come across for last 20 years--- and even stated myself---is that, when I knock on my head with my knuckles I have sensations of sound and pain and others say they see a human knocking his skull with his knuckles.

I totally understand where some come away with its all illusion, and then I always come back to rapping myself on head with knuckles.

Even 2D area is still a space, so I just think Atreyu is just incorrect with his beliefs sometimes, in these type of cosmological regards.

Lets add these conditions to Atreyus statement regarding pink unicorns possible. How about biological pink unicorns, that give birth to Toyota Prius on mondays, For fusion on Tuesdays, Dodge Ram on Wed., Chevy Impala on Thursday, Mini-cooper on Fridays and weekends pops out 20 Sony tvs, 45 Toshiba laptops etc..........

r6
Marsh8472

Post by Marsh8472 »

I found some evidence against the law of non-contradiction. Last week I ordered a burger without onions and they gave it to me with onions. no onions = onions or "not x" = x
millyjones
New Trial Member

Post by millyjones »

It is very important in the university years and studying not only to write a good resume or its example or other term paperps or responce papers, but make them very qualified one in order to get a good result just the mark for it, so it is quite obligitory to conduct this research following such steps, it should be structurialized, informative and modern enough in order to be qualified and new, so you can use the help of plagiarismsearch just to check the quality of your text os someone's else just at the existence of plagiarism and this service works very quick and moroever it is free of charge.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream