Anything is possible

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
User avatar
BelieveNothing
Posts: 103
Joined: January 24th, 2013, 6:17 am
Location: 2nd cloud from the right
Contact:

Anything is possible

Post by BelieveNothing » August 27th, 2016, 8:56 pm

If reality was just a game or a cosmic play then anything would be possible if the rules were changeable or the plot could be edited.

Now I'm not going to argue that reality IS just a game or a cosmic play, I'm just trying to illustrate a point - 'anything might be possible' - I'm saying anything is possible in the right circumstances.

Not only is it true that anything is possible in the right circumstances but 'the right circumstances' can always be achieved or set up. So basically anything is possible. I get the impression there are lots of readers on this forum who believe 'anything is possible' is such a ridiculous assertion that it is almost nonsense.

I would rather not hear from people who agree that anything is possible, I want someone to tear my argument apart so i can try to re-phrase it or explain my view in a way that they agree with.. I believe knowing that anything is possible would benefit people who still don't believe it, but it could shatter the faith of anyone without an open mind because it is possible that their faith is misguided.
Reality is not all in your mind.

User avatar
ThamiorTheThinker
Moderator
Posts: 281
Joined: October 21st, 2015, 9:07 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Yoda

Re: Anything is possible

Post by ThamiorTheThinker » September 6th, 2016, 10:30 am

I'm glad that you made it clear you want people to disagree and give reasons why they disagree. That's step #1 in becoming a good philosopher.

First, let's refine your claim here. What do you mean by "anything is possible"? Could you make a single statement, or a set of separate, refined statements that express more clearly what you mean precisely by "anything is possible"? Are you putting forth a claim about logical possibility, physical possibility, human potential, etc?

After you do that, the second order of business would be to find what logically follows from that claim or that set of claims, after which we could debate further whether those implications are of rational discourse.

I look forward to your reply.

~ Chris

User avatar
JamesOfSeattle
Posts: 346
Joined: October 16th, 2015, 11:20 pm

Re: Anything is possible

Post by JamesOfSeattle » September 6th, 2016, 1:22 pm

One way to show/prove something is impossible is to show how it is self-contradictory. An example of something that is impossible might be "Bob is a married bachelor." In a similar vein, what if I say "I can jump to the moon". I assume in a different universe (different physics) that might be possible, but I dont understand how that might be beneficial to believe.

*

User avatar
BelieveNothing
Posts: 103
Joined: January 24th, 2013, 6:17 am
Location: 2nd cloud from the right
Contact:

Re: Anything is possible

Post by BelieveNothing » September 8th, 2016, 10:02 pm

ThamiorTheThinker wrote: ...
What do you mean by "anything is possible"? Could you make a single statement, or a set of separate, refined statements that express more clearly what you mean precisely by "anything is possible"? Are you putting forth a claim about logical possibility, physical possibility, human potential, etc?
...

~ Chris
If you can imagine something clearly enough to then be able to describe it clearly to others then it can become a reality.
Imagine a virtual reality for example in which the world as we observe it is simulated to the same level of detail and by some technical means the brain is convinced that the virtual world is real.. This example is just like the film the matrix, but you could alter some details to make it possible.
In such a virtual world, even ridiculously silly things could happen as and when people change the rules of the simulation - such as flying pigs. Who's to say that this world would be any less real for the observers in it than our world in which the rules seem far more more difficult to 'change'?

I have seen in my lifetime science fiction sometimes becomes science fact. Logical possibility is probably restricted by the limited means of communication, physical possibility is presumably restricted by the laws of physics, I doubt that human potential is limited given a grand enough time scale if we agree what we mean by 'human potential'. By changing definitions a bit 'bob is a married bachelor' could be true in a sense if for example he was said to be 'married to his job'. I believe most subjects when studied in great detail are full of paradoxes anyway. If the laws of physics could be tampered with or edited as in the matrix example then physical possibilities would not be so restricted and could potentially be limitless. Even a simple contradiction such as one plus one equals three or one equals zero could be perceived to be true if for example the method of perception is somehow twisted or a strange example of each case is dreamed up by a talented mathematician..? I get the impression the human race on the whole is somewhat delusional anyway.

-- Updated September 9th, 2016, 2:17 am to add the following --

Is it true..?

"the assumption that the future will resemble the present cannot be proven"

I probably got the quote a bit wrong and I can't remember who was supposed to have coined it.

Anything is possible.
Reality is not all in your mind.

Burning ghost
Posts: 1822
Joined: February 27th, 2016, 3:10 am

Re: Anything is possible

Post by Burning ghost » September 9th, 2016, 1:37 am

All you are saying is possibilities are possible.

If I cannot comprehend or come to realise a possibility that doesn't make is impossible only outside of my comprehension. If it is outside of my comprehension then it is impossible for me to comprehend because that is what the words mean.

What you are doing here is taking apart the meanings of words.

Any turn of phrasing has meaning. The meaning is dictated by how it is comprehended. Language has structure, albeit a loose one in certain situations. We didn't make the rules for language and then create language. We created the rules to explain what we call language.

A common mistake in language is to take a turn of phrase as an absolute. If I say anything or everything in common parse I dont feel the immediate need to explain what is meant by "anything" or "everything". These are idealised concepts. "possible" also carries a weight of mathematics with it.

The phrase "anything is possible" is general used in colloquial terms to express an optimistic outlook on life. If you are then saying that litetally anuthing is possible then think about the term "literal".
AKA badgerjelly

User avatar
Greta
Site Admin
Posts: 5793
Joined: December 16th, 2013, 9:05 pm

Re: Anything is possible

Post by Greta » September 9th, 2016, 2:43 am

One problem with the idea of endless possibilities is that, if they are limitless, then there must always be countless possibilities that haven't yet manifested. So usually the most likely possibilities are the ones to manifest. So the possibility that I will get up and make a cup of tea is much better odds than, say, my arms turning into tentacles.

While I do not gamble, when I imagine betting my home on a possibility I get a good sense of how I feel about the odds.
This space left intentionally blank.

User avatar
ThamiorTheThinker
Moderator
Posts: 281
Joined: October 21st, 2015, 9:07 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Yoda

Re: Anything is possible

Post by ThamiorTheThinker » September 11th, 2016, 9:01 pm

Okay, BelieveNothing, I need to clear up some confusion. "Logical possibility" is when a set of statements or the definition of something you're describing doesn't contradict itself. For example, it is logically possible that I could lift a building with my arms, because you can imagine it happening or describe that event without contradicting yourself. However, square circles and married bachelors cannot exist because they contradict themselves by definition. To use the language of possible worlds coined by modal realists, there is no possible world in which a square circle or married bachelor exists.

Your point here seems very simple - if the 'rules' which govern the physical universe were different, or if we could manipulate them, many more physical feats would become possible.

My question becomes, then: what's your point? You haven't extrapolated some extra concept from this. You're just making a claim about the contingency of physical reality and then leaving the point in the air. Was there something else you wanted to add? I'm not seeing where you're going with this post, it's rather like a dead-end if you ask me.

User avatar
Rr6
Posts: 1034
Joined: April 5th, 2015, 2:20 pm
Favorite Philosopher: R. Bucky Fuller

Re: Anything is possible

Post by Rr6 » September 14th, 2016, 1:54 pm

The point is to find the truth.

Ex of cosmic truth;

There exists only five possible regular polyhedra, irrespective of multiverse scenarios.

Occupied space cannot be created nor destroyed.

Physical/energy cannot be created nor destroyed.

Non-occupied space is macro-infinite.

Twoness ergo other-ness is basis of consciousness as awareness with the minimal relationship between two masses { physical/energy } aka Observed Time/frequency ^v, being gravity.

In fact, it may be the inter-play between Gravity and Dark Energy is what results in Observed Time as our physical/energy/reality/^v as one aspect of occupied space. imho

r6
"U"niverse > UniVerse > universe > I-verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse

Marsh8472
Posts: 112
Joined: September 8th, 2012, 8:40 pm

Re: Anything is possible

Post by Marsh8472 » September 15th, 2016, 7:25 am

So in order to disprove this it should just be a matter of finding an example of something that is impossible. The most obvious way to do that is to show a contradiction somewhere like the circle cannot be a square example. This assumes the law of non-contradiction is a fact and it is impossible that the law of non-contradiction to be incorrect. If we assume it's possible for the laws of logic as we know them to be incorrect then anything is possible otherwise it is not true that anything is possible. Are we assuming that "X" is not "not X" for this? Or is it possible for "X" to be "not X"?

User avatar
Rr6
Posts: 1034
Joined: April 5th, 2015, 2:20 pm
Favorite Philosopher: R. Bucky Fuller

Re: Anything is possible

Post by Rr6 » September 15th, 2016, 11:09 am

There exists no "laws of logic".

There exists cosmic laws/principles.

Absolute Truth:

there exist only five possible regular/symmetrical polyhedra of Universe, irrespective of multiverse scenarios.

Relative Truth:

the sky is blue.

r6
Rr6 wrote:The point is to find the truth.
Ex of cosmic truth;
There exists only five possible regular polyhedra, irrespective of multiverse scenarios.
Occupied space cannot be created nor destroyed.
Physical/energy cannot be created nor destroyed.
Non-occupied space is macro-infinite.
Twoness ergo other-ness is basis of consciousness as awareness with the minimal relationship between two masses { physical/energy } aka Observed Time/frequency ^v, being gravity.
In fact, it may be the inter-play between Gravity and Dark Energy is what results in Observed Time as our physical/energy/reality/^v as one aspect of occupied space. imho
r6
"U"niverse > UniVerse > universe > I-verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse

Marsh8472
Posts: 112
Joined: September 8th, 2012, 8:40 pm

Re: Anything is possible

Post by Marsh8472 » September 15th, 2016, 12:13 pm

Rr6 wrote:The point is to find the truth.
Ex of cosmic truth;
There exists only five possible regular polyhedra, irrespective of multiverse scenarios.
Occupied space cannot be created nor destroyed.
Physical/energy cannot be created nor destroyed.
Non-occupied space is macro-infinite.
Twoness ergo other-ness is basis of consciousness as awareness with the minimal relationship between two masses { physical/energy } aka Observed Time/frequency ^v, being gravity.
In fact, it may be the inter-play between Gravity and Dark Energy is what results in Observed Time as our physical/energy/reality/^v as one aspect of occupied space. imho
r6
Rr6 wrote:The point is to find the truth.

Ex of cosmic truth;

There exists only five possible regular polyhedra, irrespective of multiverse scenarios.

Occupied space cannot be created nor destroyed.

Physical/energy cannot be created nor destroyed.

Non-occupied space is macro-infinite.

Twoness ergo other-ness is basis of consciousness as awareness with the minimal relationship between two masses { physical/energy } aka Observed Time/frequency ^v, being gravity.

In fact, it may be the inter-play between Gravity and Dark Energy is what results in Observed Time as our physical/energy/reality/^v as one aspect of occupied space. imho

r6
I'm analyzing the phrase "anything is possible" and determining whether it's true or not. If for example we knew that matter and energy could not be created nor destroyed then "anything is possible" would be false. But because those laws are based off of consistent observations, they are only true as far as we know but may be false based on something what we do not know. That means that it's possible that energy and matter could be created or destroyed. For that same reason it comes down to what we're assuming about the law of non-contradiction which is the ultimate determining factor about whether that statement is true or not.

Fooloso4
Moderator
Posts: 2682
Joined: February 28th, 2014, 4:50 pm

Re: Anything is possible

Post by Fooloso4 » September 15th, 2016, 12:16 pm

BelieveNothing:
Not only is it true that anything is possible in the right circumstances but 'the right circumstances' can always be achieved or set up.
You must demonstrate that the right circumstances can always be achieved or set up. It is one thing to claim that anything would be possible if the rules (laws of nature) were changed, and it might even be granted that the laws of nature are not immutable, but that is not the same thing as saying that they have or will change or can be changed in such a way that every impossibility will be then be possible.

User avatar
Rr6
Posts: 1034
Joined: April 5th, 2015, 2:20 pm
Favorite Philosopher: R. Bucky Fuller

Re: Anything is possible

Post by Rr6 » September 15th, 2016, 12:31 pm

Marsh8472--I'm analyzing the phrase "anything is possible" and determining whether it's true or not.


When you have rational, logical common sense reason-- and or evidence --to believe that,"anything is possible", please share. None have offered such, none ever will.
If for example we knew that matter and energy could not be created nor destroyed then "anything is possible" would be false.
Huh? We do believe we know, that, physical/energy and any occupied space cannot be created nor destroyed. IF you have rational, logical common sense reason-- and/or evidence -- to suggest other wise please share. None ever have or ever will.
But because those laws are based off of consistent observations, they are only true as far as we know but may be false based on something what we do not know.
Diito my above, when you have something to offer we dont know in those regards, please share. Ex if you know of some biological, polka dot unicorns that are born with keys to a Toyate prius in their stomachs I would like to know more about them. :wink:
That means that it's possible that energy and matter could be created or destroyed.
Ditto my above. You place words into any combination of sentences, concepts scenarios and that alone, will never make your givens truth.

Code: Select all

 For that same reason it comes down to what we're assuming about the law of non-contradiction which is the ultimate determining factor about whether that statement is true or not.
Cosmic laws/principles are non-contradictory. If you have evidence of other please share.

there exists only five possible regular/symmetrical polyhedral of universe, irrespective of multiverse scenarios.

If you have rational, logical common sense--- and/or evidence --that suggests otherwise, please share.

r6
"U"niverse > UniVerse > universe > I-verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse

Marsh8472
Posts: 112
Joined: September 8th, 2012, 8:40 pm

Re: Anything is possible

Post by Marsh8472 » September 15th, 2016, 2:16 pm

Rr6 wrote:
Marsh8472--I'm analyzing the phrase "anything is possible" and determining whether it's true or not.


When you have rational, logical common sense reason-- and or evidence --to believe that,"anything is possible", please share. None have offered such, none ever will.
If for example we knew that matter and energy could not be created nor destroyed then "anything is possible" would be false.
Huh? We do believe we know, that, physical/energy and any occupied space cannot be created nor destroyed. IF you have rational, logical common sense reason-- and/or evidence -- to suggest other wise please share. None ever have or ever will.
But because those laws are based off of consistent observations, they are only true as far as we know but may be false based on something what we do not know.
Diito my above, when you have something to offer we dont know in those regards, please share. Ex if you know of some biological, polka dot unicorns that are born with keys to a Toyate prius in their stomachs I would like to know more about them. :wink:
That means that it's possible that energy and matter could be created or destroyed.
Ditto my above. You place words into any combination of sentences, concepts scenarios and that alone, will never make your givens truth.

Code: Select all

 For that same reason it comes down to what we're assuming about the law of non-contradiction which is the ultimate determining factor about whether that statement is true or not.
Cosmic laws/principles are non-contradictory. If you have evidence of other please share.

there exists only five possible regular/symmetrical polyhedral of universe, irrespective of multiverse scenarios.

If you have rational, logical common sense--- and/or evidence --that suggests otherwise, please share.

r6
Sorry I feel like I'm a million steps ahead of you and was trying to skip to the end. Looking at "matter can not be created nor destroyed" as a scientific theory. All scientific theories are falsifiable. If it weren't possible to be falsifiable then it would not be part of science. If the sun rises every day that does not prove that it is impossible for the sun to rise tomorrow. Therefore it is possible the sun will not rise tomorrow. Just like it is possible that matter can be created or destroyed because it's possible that a reason might exists that it does. I cannot prove it to be impossible, that makes it possible.

User avatar
Rr6
Posts: 1034
Joined: April 5th, 2015, 2:20 pm
Favorite Philosopher: R. Bucky Fuller

Re: Anything is possible

Post by Rr6 » September 15th, 2016, 11:50 pm

r6--When you have rational, logical common sense reason-- and or evidence --to believe that,"anything is possible", please share. None have offered such, none ever will.

Code: Select all

Sorry I feel like I'm a million steps ahead of you and was trying to skip to the end.  Looking at "matter can not be created nor destroyed" as a scientific theory.  All scientific theories are falsifiable.  If it weren't possible to be falsifiable then it would not be part of science.  If the sun rises every day that does not prove that it is impossible for the sun to rise tomorrow.  Therefore it is possible the sun will not rise tomorrow.  Just like it is possible that matter can be created or destroyed because it's possible that a reason might exists that it does. I cannot prove it to be impossible, that makes it possible.
Ditto my above and actually address them as specifically stated. I don't see your comments being relevant. I do see them as being confused and contradictory, that goes no where of any significance.

You need to go back to my last post and actually address my comments specifically as given. You have nothing valid to offer in those regards or to support your believf that 'anything is possible'. Not.

r6
"U"niverse > UniVerse > universe > I-verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse

Post Reply