Anything is possible

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
BelieveNothing

Anything is possible

Post by BelieveNothing »

If reality was just a game or a cosmic play then anything would be possible if the rules were changeable or the plot could be edited.

Now I'm not going to argue that reality IS just a game or a cosmic play, I'm just trying to illustrate a point - 'anything might be possible' - I'm saying anything is possible in the right circumstances.

Not only is it true that anything is possible in the right circumstances but 'the right circumstances' can always be achieved or set up. So basically anything is possible. I get the impression there are lots of readers on this forum who believe 'anything is possible' is such a ridiculous assertion that it is almost nonsense.

I would rather not hear from people who agree that anything is possible, I want someone to tear my argument apart so i can try to re-phrase it or explain my view in a way that they agree with.. I believe knowing that anything is possible would benefit people who still don't believe it, but it could shatter the faith of anyone without an open mind because it is possible that their faith is misguided.
Reality is not all in your mind.
ThamiorTheThinker
Favorite Philosopher: Yoda

Re: Anything is possible

Post by ThamiorTheThinker »

I'm glad that you made it clear you want people to disagree and give reasons why they disagree. That's step #1 in becoming a good philosopher.

First, let's refine your claim here. What do you mean by "anything is possible"? Could you make a single statement, or a set of separate, refined statements that express more clearly what you mean precisely by "anything is possible"? Are you putting forth a claim about logical possibility, physical possibility, human potential, etc?

After you do that, the second order of business would be to find what logically follows from that claim or that set of claims, after which we could debate further whether those implications are of rational discourse.

I look forward to your reply.

~ Chris
JamesOfSeattle
Premium Member

Post by JamesOfSeattle »

One way to show/prove something is impossible is to show how it is self-contradictory. An example of something that is impossible might be "Bob is a married bachelor." In a similar vein, what if I say "I can jump to the moon". I assume in a different universe (different physics) that might be possible, but I dont understand how that might be beneficial to believe.

BelieveNothing

Post by BelieveNothing »

ThamiorTheThinker wrote: ...
What do you mean by "anything is possible"? Could you make a single statement, or a set of separate, refined statements that express more clearly what you mean precisely by "anything is possible"? Are you putting forth a claim about logical possibility, physical possibility, human potential, etc?

~ Chris
If you can imagine something clearly enough to then be able to describe it clearly to others then it can become a reality.
Imagine a virtual reality for example in which the world as we observe it is simulated to the same level of detail and by some technical means the brain is convinced that the virtual world is real.. This example is just like the film the matrix, but you could alter some details to make it possible.
In such a virtual world, even ridiculously silly things could happen as and when people change the rules of the simulation - such as flying pigs. Who's to say that this world would be any less real for the observers in it than our world in which the rules seem far more more difficult to 'change'?

I have seen in my lifetime science fiction sometimes becomes science fact. Logical possibility is probably restricted by the limited means of communication, physical possibility is presumably restricted by the laws of physics, I doubt that human potential is limited given a grand enough time scale if we agree what we mean by 'human potential'. By changing definitions a bit 'bob is a married bachelor' could be true in a sense if for example he was said to be 'married to his job'. I believe most subjects when studied in great detail are full of paradoxes anyway. If the laws of physics could be tampered with or edited as in the matrix example then physical possibilities would not be so restricted and could potentially be limitless. Even a simple contradiction such as one plus one equals three or one equals zero could be perceived to be true if for example the method of perception is somehow twisted or a strange example of each case is dreamed up by a talented mathematician..? I get the impression the human race on the whole is somewhat delusional anyway.

-- Updated September 9th, 2016, 2:17 am to add the following --

Is it true..?

"the assumption that the future will resemble the present cannot be proven"

I probably got the quote a bit wrong and I can't remember who was supposed to have coined it.

Anything is possible.
Reality is not all in your mind.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

All you are saying is possibilities are possible.

If I cannot comprehend or come to realise a possibility that doesn't make is impossible only outside of my comprehension. If it is outside of my comprehension then it is impossible for me to comprehend because that is what the words mean.

What you are doing here is taking apart the meanings of words.

Any turn of phrasing has meaning. The meaning is dictated by how it is comprehended. Language has structure, albeit a loose one in certain situations. We didn't make the rules for language and then create language. We created the rules to explain what we call language.

A common mistake in language is to take a turn of phrase as an absolute. If I say anything or everything in common parse I dont feel the immediate need to explain what is meant by "anything" or "everything". These are idealised concepts. "possible" also carries a weight of mathematics with it.

The phrase "anything is possible" is general used in colloquial terms to express an optimistic outlook on life. If you are then saying that litetally anuthing is possible then think about the term "literal".
AKA badgerjelly
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

One problem with the idea of endless possibilities is that, if they are limitless, then there must always be countless possibilities that haven't yet manifested. So usually the most likely possibilities are the ones to manifest. So the possibility that I will get up and make a cup of tea is much better odds than, say, my arms turning into tentacles.

While I do not gamble, when I imagine betting my home on a possibility I get a good sense of how I feel about the odds.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
ThamiorTheThinker
Favorite Philosopher: Yoda

Post by ThamiorTheThinker »

Okay, BelieveNothing, I need to clear up some confusion. "Logical possibility" is when a set of statements or the definition of something you're describing doesn't contradict itself. For example, it is logically possible that I could lift a building with my arms, because you can imagine it happening or describe that event without contradicting yourself. However, square circles and married bachelors cannot exist because they contradict themselves by definition. To use the language of possible worlds coined by modal realists, there is no possible world in which a square circle or married bachelor exists.

Your point here seems very simple - if the 'rules' which govern the physical universe were different, or if we could manipulate them, many more physical feats would become possible.

My question becomes, then: what's your point? You haven't extrapolated some extra concept from this. You're just making a claim about the contingency of physical reality and then leaving the point in the air. Was there something else you wanted to add? I'm not seeing where you're going with this post, it's rather like a dead-end if you ask me.
Rr6
Favorite Philosopher: R. Bucky Fuller

Post by Rr6 »

The point is to find the truth.

Ex of cosmic truth;

There exists only five possible regular polyhedra, irrespective of multiverse scenarios.

Occupied space cannot be created nor destroyed.

Physical/energy cannot be created nor destroyed.

Non-occupied space is macro-infinite.

Twoness ergo other-ness is basis of consciousness as awareness with the minimal relationship between two masses { physical/energy } aka Observed Time/frequency ^v, being gravity.

In fact, it may be the inter-play between Gravity and Dark Energy is what results in Observed Time as our physical/energy/reality/^v as one aspect of occupied space. imho

r6
"U"niverse > UniVerse > universe > I-verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse
Marsh8472

Post by Marsh8472 »

So in order to disprove this it should just be a matter of finding an example of something that is impossible. The most obvious way to do that is to show a contradiction somewhere like the circle cannot be a square example. This assumes the law of non-contradiction is a fact and it is impossible that the law of non-contradiction to be incorrect. If we assume it's possible for the laws of logic as we know them to be incorrect then anything is possible otherwise it is not true that anything is possible. Are we assuming that "X" is not "not X" for this? Or is it possible for "X" to be "not X"?
Rr6

Post by Rr6 »

There exists no "laws of logic".

There exists cosmic laws/principles.

Absolute Truth:

there exist only five possible regular/symmetrical polyhedra of Universe, irrespective of multiverse scenarios.

Relative Truth:

the sky is blue.

r6
Rr6 wrote:The point is to find the truth.
Ex of cosmic truth;
There exists only five possible regular polyhedra, irrespective of multiverse scenarios.
Twoness ergo other-ness is basis of consciousness as awareness with the minimal relationship between two masses { physical/energy } aka Observed Time/frequency ^v, being gravity.
In fact, it may be the inter-play between Gravity and Dark Energy is what results in Observed Time as our physical/energy/reality/^v as one aspect of occupied space. imho
r6
Marsh8472

Post by Marsh8472 »

Ex of cosmic truth;
r6

Ex of cosmic truth;

r6
I'm analyzing the phrase "anything is possible" and determining whether it's true or not. If for example we knew that matter and energy could not be created nor destroyed then "anything is possible" would be false. But because those laws are based off of consistent observations, they are only true as far as we know but may be false based on something what we do not know. That means that it's possible that energy and matter could be created or destroyed. For that same reason it comes down to what we're assuming about the law of non-contradiction which is the ultimate determining factor about whether that statement is true or not.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

BelieveNothing:
Not only is it true that anything is possible in the right circumstances but 'the right circumstances' can always be achieved or set up.
You must demonstrate that the right circumstances can always be achieved or set up. It is one thing to claim that anything would be possible if the rules (laws of nature) were changed, and it might even be granted that the laws of nature are not immutable, but that is not the same thing as saying that they have or will change or can be changed in such a way that every impossibility will be then be possible.
Rr6

Post by Rr6 »

Marsh8472--I'm analyzing the phrase "anything is possible" and determining whether it's true or not.

When you have rational, logical common sense reason-- and or evidence --to believe that,"anything is possible", please share. None have offered such, none ever will.
If for example we knew that matter and energy could not be created nor destroyed then "anything is possible" would be false.
Huh? We do believe we know, that, physical/energy and any occupied space cannot be created nor destroyed. IF you have rational, logical common sense reason-- and/or evidence -- to suggest other wise please share. None ever have or ever will.
But because those laws are based off of consistent observations, they are only true as far as we know but may be false based on something what we do not know.
Diito my above, when you have something to offer we dont know in those regards, please share. Ex if you know of some biological, polka dot unicorns that are born with keys to a Toyate prius in their stomachs I would like to know more about them. :wink:
That means that it's possible that energy and matter could be created or destroyed.
Ditto my above. You place words into any combination of sentences, concepts scenarios and that alone, will never make your givens truth.

Code: Select all

For that same reason it comes down to what we're assuming about the law of non-contradiction which is the ultimate determining factor about whether that statement is true or not.
Cosmic laws/principles are non-contradictory. If you have evidence of other please share.

there exists only five possible regular/symmetrical polyhedral of universe, irrespective of multiverse scenarios.

If you have rational, logical common sense--- and/or evidence --that suggests otherwise, please share.

r6
Marsh8472

Post by Marsh8472 »

Rr6 wrote:
Marsh8472--I'm analyzing the phrase "anything is possible" and determining whether it's true or not.

When you have rational, logical common sense reason-- and or evidence --to believe that,"anything is possible", please share. None have offered such, none ever will.
If for example we knew that matter and energy could not be created nor destroyed then "anything is possible" would be false.
Huh? We do believe we know, that, physical/energy and any occupied space cannot be created nor destroyed. IF you have rational, logical common sense reason-- and/or evidence -- to suggest other wise please share. None ever have or ever will.
But because those laws are based off of consistent observations, they are only true as far as we know but may be false based on something what we do not know.
Diito my above, when you have something to offer we dont know in those regards, please share. Ex if you know of some biological, polka dot unicorns that are born with keys to a Toyate prius in their stomachs I would like to know more about them. :wink:
That means that it's possible that energy and matter could be created or destroyed.
Ditto my above. You place words into any combination of sentences, concepts scenarios and that alone, will never make your givens truth.

For that same reason it comes down to what we're assuming about the law of non-contradiction which is the ultimate determining factor about whether that statement is true or not.
Cosmic laws/principles are non-contradictory. If you have evidence of other please share.

there exists only five possible regular/symmetrical polyhedral of universe, irrespective of multiverse scenarios.

If you have rational, logical common sense--- and/or evidence --that suggests otherwise, please share.

r6
Sorry I feel like I'm a million steps ahead of you and was trying to skip to the end. Looking at "matter can not be created nor destroyed" as a scientific theory. All scientific theories are falsifiable. If it weren't possible to be falsifiable then it would not be part of science. If the sun rises every day that does not prove that it is impossible for the sun to rise tomorrow. Therefore it is possible the sun will not rise tomorrow. Just like it is possible that matter can be created or destroyed because it's possible that a reason might exists that it does. I cannot prove it to be impossible, that makes it possible.
Rr6

Post by Rr6 »

r6--When you have rational, logical common sense reason-- and or evidence --to believe that,"anything is possible", please share. None have offered such, none ever will.

Sorry I feel like I'm a million steps ahead of you and was trying to skip to the end.  Looking at "matter can not be created nor destroyed" as a scientific theory.  All scientific theories are falsifiable.  If it weren't possible to be falsifiable then it would not be part of science.  If the sun rises every day that does not prove that it is impossible for the sun to rise tomorrow.  Therefore it is possible the sun will not rise tomorrow.  Just like it is possible that matter can be created or destroyed because it's possible that a reason might exists that it does. I cannot prove it to be impossible, that makes it possible.
Ditto my above and actually address them as specifically stated. I don't see your comments being relevant. I do see them as being confused and contradictory, that goes no where of any significance.

You need to go back to my last post and actually address my comments specifically as given. You have nothing valid to offer in those regards or to support your believf that 'anything is possible'. Not.

r6

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream