Do you agree with my Epistemological Argument for Freedom?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Socraticpupil
New Trial Member

Do you agree with my Epistemological Argument for Freedom?

Post by Socraticpupil »

Knowledge is applied using language and memory to distinguish the elements of the universe. The description of the elements can always become more precise, depending on the preference of the observer.

Knowledge can become more and more precise in proportion to the information witnessed by the observer through his five senses. Knowledge can be as precise as the sophisticated differences prevalent in that information. Perhaps those differences are infinite, perhaps they are not.

A skeptic questions the validity of a claim of fact concerning an observation as to whether it is true. The skeptic creates uncertainty into present knowledge, as well as future knowledge. By creating uncertainty in the knowledge of future events, future events become indeterminate relative to the skeptic's frame of mind. By clouding his certainty in determinism, the skeptic has created the possibility of freedom to create his own future.

A skeptic is a living organism, with desires, fears, emotions. When the skeptic is faced with the prevalence of an undesirable fact, the skeptic may assume his application of doubt to resist the fact and maintain a sense of freedom. The most ardent skeptic may resist morbid determinism only until the point of attaining total knowledge of existence. When the skeptic attains absolute knowledge, should he continue to resist he is in self denial, rather than virtuous skepticism.

Is near-absolute skepticism, the kind I have described, a proper epistemological argument for freedom?
Spraticus

Re: Do you agree with my Epistemological Argument for Freedo

Post by Spraticus »

Socraticpupil wrote:Knowledge is applied using language and memory to distinguish the elements of the universe. The description of the elements can always become more precise, depending on the preference of the observer.

Knowledge is used for a lot more than distinguishing the elements of the universe. It is used to navigate our path through it.

Knowledge can become more and more precise in proportion to the information witnessed by the observer through his five senses. Knowledge can be as precise as the sophisticated differences prevalent in that information. Perhaps those differences are infinite, perhaps they are not.

they could only be infinite if life is. We have a lot more than five senses. The foundational purpose of the brain is the maintenance of homeostasis and it uses many senses to achieve that. When it detects hunger hormones it fires up it's owner to seek food, when it senses imbalance it provokes the body to adjust to regain balance, etc. The conscious part, which interests us here is an over-layer of some sort which integrates all the internal and external sensory inputs and directs attention between them. Internal and external speech are parts of that sensory world. Our knowledge is largely experienced as verbal but may also be tactile, sensory-motor, visual, emotional etc., and it is in acting consistently with our knowledge that we achieve freedom by owning our actions. My actions arise from me and nobody else. If they are constrained by an outside force they are not free.

A skeptic questions the validity of a claim of fact concerning an observation as to whether it is true. The skeptic creates uncertainty into present knowledge, as well as future knowledge. By creating uncertainty in the knowledge of future events, future events become indeterminate relative to the skeptic's frame of mind. By clouding his certainty in determinism, the skeptic has created the possibility of freedom to create his own future.

Indeterminacy is not freedom. Nor is randomness.

A skeptic certainly questions certainty of knowledge but that doesn't lead to freedom, it just leads to uncertainty. Freedom, if it means anything in a deterministic universe, means ownership of your choices.
A skeptic is a living organism, with desires, fears, emotions. When the skeptic is faced with the prevalence of an undesirable fact, the skeptic may assume his application of doubt to resist the fact and maintain a sense of freedom. The most ardent skeptic may resist morbid determinism only until the point of attaining total knowledge of existence. When the skeptic attains absolute knowledge, should he continue to resist he is in self denial, rather than virtuous skepticism.

Is near-absolute skepticism, the kind I have described, a proper epistemological argument for freedom?
No.
A Poster He or I
Favorite Philosopher: Anaximander

Post by A Poster He or I »

Ignoring my quibbles about your choice of certain words, your argument is more-or-less valid enough to me until the last 2 sentences of your 4th paragraph. At that point you seem to presuppose that a skeptic (or anyone) is capable of recognizing when/if they have obtained absolute knowledge. Since you offer no insights into how one is to recognize that their knowledge is "total," your distinction between self-denial and virtuousness is completely lost on me.

Personally, I believe that an epistemological defense of freedom can be only academic. Real freedom is experienced in being free FROM that which impedes one's freedom; therefore freedom is an utterly relative condition defined by one's circumstances, not by academic pronouncements, and is experienced exclusively in relative terms.
Spraticus

Post by Spraticus »

I cant see any way that skepticism is relevant at all, and I struggle to think what an epistemological argument for freedom could be. Freedom isn't about knowledge, it's about action. Even actions based in error can be free if they are free from external constraint.
Socraticpupil
New Trial Member

Post by Socraticpupil »

Freedom, among other descriptions, can be described using epistemology. Once such description is relative freedom in reference to the mind of the individual. This argument is not setting forth a physical description of the fundamental nature of a person exercising free will, or controlling their actions.

This argument concerns a person who takes the position of uncertainty in relation to all the knowledge they have acquired. This person has created a mental picture of the universe whereby the future becomes unknown. They are unable to know what occurs in the future because they have doubted any knowledge that they may possess. The future is probabilistic based on the fact they only know things in degree of certainty, not full certainty.

My Definition of Freedom:
Freedom is the ability to become anything.

A skeptic has no idea whether he has this ability or not. Freedom in the future occurs when the person can become anything in the future. Knowledge of future facts may necessarily block this ability, somethings will happen in place of other things not happening.

The future, to the skeptic, is just like freedom. The future has the ability to become anything, because the skeptic has no idea what it will be.
A Poster He or I wrote:Ignoring my quibbles about your choice of certain words, your argument is more-or-less valid enough to me until the last 2 sentences of your 4th paragraph. At that point you seem to presuppose that a skeptic (or anyone) is capable of recognizing when/if they have obtained absolute knowledge. Since you offer no insights into how one is to recognize that their knowledge is "total," your distinction between self-denial and virtuousness is completely lost on me.
Hypothetically, a person could understand every possible fact of the universe. This person would understand whether or not he is free. This person would be omniscient, god-like, Laplace's demon. If someone insists they are free when overwhelming evidence provides otherwise, they are in self denial. A virtuous skeptic need not worry about this because they have yet to acquire this level of knowledge.

I have no idea when a person would attain total knowledge, if its even possible, as I only believe I know things in order of plausibility and cannot make eternally accurate predictions.
Spraticus

Post by Spraticus »

I would regard myself a skeptical but I don't think that makes me free; it just makes me puzzled.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Socraticpupil wrote: My Definition of Freedom:
Freedom is the ability to become anything.
...to become anything at will, or to become anything at the caprice of fate? Big difference.

If by fate, then it's arguable. If by will, then some perplexities may present, such as a free person will want to become a slave, or a prisoner. This is perfectly admissible by the definition, yet at the point of fulfillment, the definition will no longer apply to the free person. So he goes from "free" to "not free" by his choice which is guaranteed by his freedom.

Is freedom good? Would someone want to be other than free? That's another question. Is freedom to become anything good in the sense that it potentially carries the state of being in utter despair, in horrible agony, in a state of unbearable pain? Just like I was in last month. What would "anything" entail? All possibilities, or a select few which the free person chooses at will?

Not becoming certain things still carries the possibility for the free person to become that, but he or she can fully avoid that, although the state of being is available to her or him.

"Free to become anything"... that inlcudes a being of something or other that can DO anything? Big question, albeit pointless.
Spraticus

Post by Spraticus »

Socraticpupil wrote:Knowledge is applied using language and memory to distinguish the elements of the universe. The description of the elements can always become more precise, depending on the preference of the observer.

I can agree with bits of this but much of it leaves me puzzled. Freedom is obviously about the future; we can't makes choices about what to do in the past, but I can't see what this has to do with skepticism.

"The skeptic creates uncertainty into present knowledge, as well as future knowledge."
What does that mean?
Or this, "When the skeptic is faced with the prevalence of an undesirable fact, the skeptic may assume his application of doubt to resist the fact and maintain a sense of freedom." ? I fail to make this mean anything at all and don't see what it has to do with freedom.

For me freedom lies in the unconstrained ownership of one's choices. I may act on incomplete or faulty information, but it is still my choice and nobody else's. As a retired person I am more free than I was. I could have chosen to walk out of my employment but I was constrained by the prospect of hunger and homelessness. Now I can get out of bed when I want and chose to sit and read or go for a run or whatever. I am limited by the laws of physics and the availability of money. I am potentially constrained by the laws of Scotland or wherever I happen to be at the time, but I can always chose to take the risk. I am limited by the incompleteness of my knowledge to the extent that I may not be aware of some possible choices, or by errors in my view. In this sort of way I am never totally free; I cannot chose to become anything, but within the laws of the possible I am free. There cannot be total freedom.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream