What makes up souls

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Belindi

Re: What makes up souls

Post by Belindi »

The Online Etymology Dictionary's entry for soulsoul (n.2) Look up soul at Dictionary.com

"instinctive quality felt by black persons as an attribute," 1946, jazz slang, from soul (n.1). Also from this sense are soul brother (1957), soul sister (1967), soul food (1957), etc. Soul music, essentially gospel music with "girl," etc., in place of "Jesus," first attested 1961; William James used the term in 1900, in a spiritual/romantic sense, but in reference to inner music.
soul (n.1) Look up soul at Dictionary.com
"A substantial entity believed to be that in each person which lives, feels, thinks and wills" [Century Dictionary], Old English sawol "spiritual and emotional part of a person, animate existence; life, living being," from Proto-Germanic *saiwalo (source also of Old Saxon seola, Old Norse sala, Old Frisian sele, Middle Dutch siele, Dutch ziel, Old High German seula, German Seele, Gothic saiwala), of uncertain origin.

Sometimes said to mean originally "coming from or belonging to the sea," because that was supposed to be the stopping place of the soul before birth or after death [Barnhart]; if so, it would be from Proto-Germanic *saiwaz (see sea). Klein explains this as "from the lake," as a dwelling-place of souls in ancient northern Europe.

Meaning "spirit of a deceased person" is attested in Old English from 971. As a synonym for "person, individual, human being" (as in every living soul) it dates from early 14c. Soul-searching (n.) is attested from 1871, from the phrase used as a past participle adjective (1610s). Distinguishing soul from spirit is a matter best left to theologians.

Rr6
Favorite Philosopher: R. Bucky Fuller

Post by Rr6 »

All of the below and other dictionary definitions fall with the 4 catagories of spirit Ive presented clearly and none--- except Lark and maybe one other in brief ---acknowledge my givens as stated. Based on what we know of dark matter, I just don't see how that is relevant to concept of "soul".

The biological/soul{ individual } and is composed of, at minimum spirit-2 fermions and bosons. For human biological we can add in spirit-1, spirit-of-intent etc.....

Again, I believe ever particle of Universe is has gravity and dark energy integral to each particle.

http://www.yourdictionary.com/soul

..."soul

an entity which is regarded as being the immortal or spiritual part of a person and which, having no physical or material reality, is credited with the functions of thinking, willing, and choosing
the moral or emotional nature of a human being
spiritual or emotional warmth, force, etc., or evidence of this: a cold painting, without soul
vital or essential part, quality, or principle: “brevity is the soul of wit”
the person who leads or dominates; central figure: Daniel Boone, soul of the frontier
embodiment; personification: the very soul of kindness
a person: a town of 1,000 souls
the spirit of a dead person, thought of as separate from the body and leading an existence of its own

the deep spiritual and emotional quality of black American culture and heritage
strong expression of this quality in a musical performance
a form of rhythm and blues characterized by a more deliberate beat, emotionally intense vocals, and elements of U.S. gospel music

Origin of soul
Middle English soule ; from Old English sawol, akin to German seele, Gothic saiwala ; from Germanic an unverified form saiwalo, literally , uncertain or unknown; perhaps that belonging to the sea (; from an unverified form saiwa- from source sea): from the early Germanic belief that souls originate in and return to the sea

of, for, like, or characteristic of American blacks".....
"U"niverse > UniVerse > universe > I-verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse
Felix

Post by Felix »

This is a silly thread: it's like asking someone who has never seen a cat what sort of critter it is and how it behaves.

If one is willing to believe one has a soul (oft described as a supernal field or frame of consciousness), one should attempt to demonstrate to oneself that it exists, i.e., one should attempt to find or realize it (= make it real in one's experience) rather than engage in useless speculation about it.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Lark_Truth
Favorite Philosopher: Brandon Sanderson

Post by Lark_Truth »

Felix: As there is as of yet no sure-fire scientific proof that we have souls/spirits, what can we do but speculate about them as philosophers have done so for thousands of years. Whether or not such speculation is useless depends on the truth of us having souls. So when posting on this thread, pretend that souls/spirits do exist and theorize with the rest of us what a soul/spirit might be made out of.

Rr6, deeply sorry that I said that you posted on dark matter. I don't really know if a soul is made out of dark matter or not, but we don't know very much about souls and dark matter, yet we believe that they are there, and I just associated the two as something similar. So sorry. I still think that you're on the right track for this thread. Keep it up!

I must say, I am impressed with how long and how many pages this thread has gone on. Keep it up people!
Truth is Power. Reason is Wisdom. Intelligence is Experience. Hope is Bright!
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

OP, I share your view. "Dark matter" is just matter that science cannot identify or isolate, just like the energy/matter which differentiates a living organism from dead matter. Science cannot say exactly what makes matter alive, other than to associate it somehow with protoplasm, and this jibes with the idea of "dark matter". "Soul" is a subset of "dark matter", a particular form of it.
Rr6
Favorite Philosopher: R. Bucky Fuller

Post by Rr6 »

Atreyu--- Science cannot say exactly what makes matter alive,
It is pretty simple, if a human does not get oxygen to its cells those cells die. Does that work with cancer also?
other than to associate it somehow with protoplasm, and this jibes with the idea of "dark matter".
Those who think dark matter is protoplasm are really way off the base of truth.
"Soul" is a subset of "dark matter", a particular form of it.
That is just meangless and certainly no rational, logical common sense can be associated with it. imho

Atreyu once stated, that space does not exist. Add that one to his list of irrational, illogical etc.....imho

r6
"U"niverse > UniVerse > universe > I-verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse
Lark_Truth
Favorite Philosopher: Brandon Sanderson

Post by Lark_Truth »

Atreyu wrote:OP, I share your view. "Dark matter" is just matter that science cannot identify or isolate, just like the energy/matter which differentiates a living organism from dead matter. Science cannot say exactly what makes matter alive, other than to associate it somehow with protoplasm, and this jibes with the idea of "dark matter". "Soul" is a subset of "dark matter", a particular form of it.
Whether or not dark matter is what actually makes up a spirit/soul, Atreyu does have a point that there is something that makes matter alive. How this applies to plants, I don't know, but there is something that brings consciousness to humans and animals, though whether or not animals have souls is also debatable.
Atreyu, could you possibly further explain what you mean by:
"Soul" is a subset of "dark matter", a particular form of it.

-- Updated March 30th, 2017, 8:02 pm to add the following --

I don't think protoplasm could be considered dark matter either, Rr6, though I'm don't think that that is what Atreyu was saying when he mentioned that.

-- Updated April 3rd, 2017, 9:37 am to add the following --

Could Electricity have anything to do with souls/spirits? Our bodies already have an extensive neuro-electrical system that controls muscle movement, would a soul also have electricity being apart of it?
Truth is Power. Reason is Wisdom. Intelligence is Experience. Hope is Bright!

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream