What is Information?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.

What is Information?

Post Number:#1  Postby Gertie » March 12th, 2017, 5:09 am

I'm not sure, and I might be wrong, but I'm going to take the starting position that information is not 'a thing in itself, but a way of describing actual things (material things, abstract concepts, etc).

Hence information always tells you (informs you) about something else, that thing's properties, processes, quantities, measurements, what ever it's describing.

If you say an object or process 'contains a lot of information', that is really a metaphor for saying that object or process has a lot of ways of being described, measured, having different states.

It can describe things in encoded representations/symbols, such as words, '0/1 bits', or the patterns of neuronal systems which describe the outside world or internal body states.

As information has no independent existence, is only a way of describing or representing the actual thing in itself which the information is about, then it can have no independent causal powers of its own, no causal role at all.

Thoughts?
Gertie

What is Information?

Become a member for less ads

Already a member? Login

Return to Epistemology and Metaphysics