Philosophical proof of a creator (of some kind)

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Tamminen

Re: Philosophical proof of a creator (of some kind)

Post by Tamminen »

Don Schneider wrote:I agree that they are very real, that they exist. But so does a dream. Illusions are real, they too exist as real perceptions, albeit lacking a fundamental existence of and in themselves. The same is true, for example, of color.
Colors belong to our way of being conscious of the material world. Consciousness and the material world are both very real, and so is time, because we exist by having successive experiences of the material world. If there is a real world in which all dreams are dreamt, then all those basic elements mentioned above must be included in it. We cannot imagine a world where we would not be conscious of the material world in a flow of experiences. Or I cannot. Because I cannot imagine a world or reality that is truly transcendent.
Don Schneider

Post by Don Schneider »

Tamminen wrote:
Don Schneider wrote:I agree that they are very real, that they exist. But so does a dream. Illusions are real, they too exist as real perceptions, albeit lacking a fundamental existence of and in themselves. The same is true, for example, of color.
Colors belong to our way of being conscious of the material world. Consciousness and the material world are both very real, and so is time, because we exist by having successive experiences of the material world. If there is a real world in which all dreams are dreamt, then all those basic elements mentioned above must be included in it. We cannot imagine a world where we would not be conscious of the material world in a flow of experiences. Or I cannot. Because I cannot imagine a world or reality that is truly transcendent.
In my view, they both exist (and are in that sense ‘real”), though only consciousness has an independent existence as with my dream analogy. However, I grasp your point.

Let’s leave the discussion there as these things can become too intense at times and we've gone over the same ground many times already. I was testy to Londoner in a bad moment which I deeply regret and to whom I apologize.

Thanks for the interesting discussion. It’s been, er,…enlightening!
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Post by Spectrum »

Don Schneider wrote:I listened to the video and that, combined with your remarks within your post, leaves me uncertain as to you point. What I think you are saying is that although you once seriously entertained the truthfulness of the ontological paradigm espoused by the Upanishads, you now reject such and maintain such claimed experiences of enlightenment, the realization that all is universal consciousness and that all else, including ourselves, are illusory epiphenomena of Consciousness, are the result of brain abnormalities caused by inherent mental illness, insults (such as strokes), hallucinogenic narcotics or a self-induced states caused by intense meditation and are therefore bogus. Is that correct? If so, you’re hardly the first to claim such.
Yes, the experiences are the same albeit from different methods [illness, drugs, meditation]. I am not saying they are bogus. The experience is real as felt but it is a subjective experience conditioned by the mind.
Such experiences of oneness are recognized as normal in genuine spiritual endeavors but a good guru will teach his disciples not to cling to them or just ignore them.
My philosophical leanings towards this paradigm of idealism are not at all emotional, and I have no idea why you would attribute such to me; certainly not from anything I’ve written here. On the contrary, it comes from intellectualism, years of readings and reflection. It is strictly intellectual. I have never experienced anything akin to the reported experience of enlightenment. My physical and emotional conditions precludes me from intense periods of meditation or the required physical stamina of Hatha Yoga. Instead, I am inclined towards Jnana Yoga, the way of the intellect within Advaita Vedanta. If this paradigm is true, then that is the only viable chance I personally could ever have.
I understand Jnana Yoga, the way of the intellect within Advaita Vedanta. I am still adopting the way of the intellect as in Jnana Yoga.

However from the Buddhist perspective, I treat this path of the intellect as the raft that took me to the other shore. Once the other shore is reached one must let go of the raft.
Even when one has reached the other shore, one must also let go of the destination.
As the Tibetan Buddhist would say, it is the duty of the intellect [reason] to kill itself at the ultimate level.

There is a subtle difference between the Buddhist and the Advaita principles of the ultimate.
You may think you are using pure intellect to realise the Absolute, but you are not aware there as subtle traces of emotions and psychological elements that compel you to cling to the Absolute.

There are lots of studies on the activities of subliminal play of emotions and psychology. One may think one is making an very objective and intellectual decision but actually one could be compel by some deep underlying emotional and psychological biasness. Note the work of Antonio Damasio and others.

Btw, the advaita principles of the Absolute is good enough for any one but if one need to dig deeper there is the Buddhist alternative of emptiness.
I don’t believe that all reported enlightenment experiences throughout history were hallucinations resulting from the physical reasons listed above. On the contrary, I believe such are yet more inferences or “clues” (indeed, "bread crumbs") inherent within the illusion of material realism to help us “find our way back” to truth, so to speak. The illusion of materialism became so convincing that we forgot our true nature thus giving rise to existential anxiety. (“And they saw that they were naked [defenseless against ultimate death] and were sore afraid.”) I believe this woman experienced something akin to the experience of enlightenment and not enlightenment itself.
As I had mentioned above all reported enlightenment experiences are real but personal subjective experiences.
The various types of experiences are used as milestone indicator of spiritual advancement but the critical point here is one should not be attached to such fruits of actions.
Bhagavad Gita 2.47-50
Lord Krishna: Be intent on action, not on the fruits of action; avoid attraction to the fruits and attachment to inaction! Perform actions, firm in discipline, relinquishing attachment; be impartial to failure and success—this equanimity is called discipline. Arjuna, action is far inferior to the discipline of understanding; to seek refuge in understanding—pitiful are men drawn by fruits of action. Disciplined by understanding, one abandons both good and evil deeds; so arm yourself for discipline—discipline is skill in actions.
When the Gita stated "avoid attraction to the fruits", it should extent it to the Absolute as well. This is reflected in Brahman as Neti - Neti.

Your eagerness to obtain 'proof' of God is a sign to attachment to the fruits of action which is driven by emotions and psychological drives at the subliminal levels you are not conscious of.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Don Schneider

Post by Don Schneider »

Spectrum wrote:
Don Schneider wrote:I listened to the video and that, combined with your remarks within your post, leaves me uncertain as to you point. What I think you are saying is that although you once seriously entertained the truthfulness of the ontological paradigm espoused by the Upanishads, you now reject such and maintain such claimed experiences of enlightenment, the realization that all is universal consciousness and that all else, including ourselves, are illusory epiphenomena of Consciousness, are the result of brain abnormalities caused by inherent mental illness, insults (such as strokes), hallucinogenic narcotics or a self-induced states caused by intense meditation and are therefore bogus. Is that correct? If so, you’re hardly the first to claim such.
Yes, the experiences are the same albeit from different methods [illness, drugs, meditation]. I am not saying they are bogus. The experience is real as felt but it is a subjective experience conditioned by the mind.
Such experiences of oneness are recognized as normal in genuine spiritual endeavors but a good guru will teach his disciples not to cling to them or just ignore them.
My philosophical leanings towards this paradigm of idealism are not at all emotional, and I have no idea why you would attribute such to me; certainly not from anything I’ve written here. On the contrary, it comes from intellectualism, years of readings and reflection. It is strictly intellectual. I have never experienced anything akin to the reported experience of enlightenment. My physical and emotional conditions precludes me from intense periods of meditation or the required physical stamina of Hatha Yoga. Instead, I am inclined towards Jnana Yoga, the way of the intellect within Advaita Vedanta. If this paradigm is true, then that is the only viable chance I personally could ever have.
I understand Jnana Yoga, the way of the intellect within Advaita Vedanta. I am still adopting the way of the intellect as in Jnana Yoga.

However from the Buddhist perspective, I treat this path of the intellect as the raft that took me to the other shore. Once the other shore is reached one must let go of the raft.
Even when one has reached the other shore, one must also let go of the destination.
As the Tibetan Buddhist would say, it is the duty of the intellect [reason] to kill itself at the ultimate level.

There is a subtle difference between the Buddhist and the Advaita principles of the ultimate.
You may think you are using pure intellect to realise the Absolute, but you are not aware there as subtle traces of emotions and psychological elements that compel you to cling to the Absolute.

There are lots of studies on the activities of subliminal play of emotions and psychology. One may think one is making an very objective and intellectual decision but actually one could be compel by some deep underlying emotional and psychological biasness. Note the work of Antonio Damasio and others.

Btw, the advaita principles of the Absolute is good enough for any one but if one need to dig deeper there is the Buddhist alternative of emptiness.
I don’t believe that all reported enlightenment experiences throughout history were hallucinations resulting from the physical reasons listed above. On the contrary, I believe such are yet more inferences or “clues” (indeed, "bread crumbs") inherent within the illusion of material realism to help us “find our way back” to truth, so to speak. The illusion of materialism became so convincing that we forgot our true nature thus giving rise to existential anxiety. (“And they saw that they were naked [defenseless against ultimate death] and were sore afraid.”) I believe this woman experienced something akin to the experience of enlightenment and not enlightenment itself.
As I had mentioned above all reported enlightenment experiences are real but personal subjective experiences.
The various types of experiences are used as milestone indicator of spiritual advancement but the critical point here is one should not be attached to such fruits of actions.
Bhagavad Gita 2.47-50
Lord Krishna: Be intent on action, not on the fruits of action; avoid attraction to the fruits and attachment to inaction! Perform actions, firm in discipline, relinquishing attachment; be impartial to failure and success—this equanimity is called discipline. Arjuna, action is far inferior to the discipline of understanding; to seek refuge in understanding—pitiful are men drawn by fruits of action. Disciplined by understanding, one abandons both good and evil deeds; so arm yourself for discipline—discipline is skill in actions.
When the Gita stated "avoid attraction to the fruits", it should extent it to the Absolute as well. This is reflected in Brahman as Neti - Neti.

Your eagerness to obtain 'proof' of God is a sign to attachment to the fruits of action which is driven by emotions and psychological drives at the subliminal levels you are not conscious of.

You wrote:

"However from the Buddhist perspective, I treat this path of the intellect as the raft that took me to the other shore. Once the other shore is reached one must let go of the raft.
As the Tibetan Buddhist would say, it is the duty of the intellect [reason] to kill itself at the ultimate level."

I agree completely and thank you for the other interesting observations.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream