Who is I? The possessor of my body, mind, and spirit?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Re: Who is I? The possessor of my body, mind, and spirit?

Post by Spectrum »

Socrateaze wrote:If the body, as the op suggests, does not belong to us, is that not mystical in itself? When is something day-to-day things and when is something not a day-to-day thing, that seems to be the question here. If my body is a day-to-day thing, it is ordinary, not extraordinary and it belongs to me; if it does not belong to me it is a mystical notion. Do you agree?
The main question of the OP is the typical 'Who Am I?"

"if it does not belong to me it is a mystical notion."
It is only a mystical notion if "me" [the self] is taken to be an entity that is independent of the external world and survives physical death.
Note Hume and many others [e.g. Kant, Eastern philosophies] has argued the self do not exists independently.

If the self is viewed as a psychological entity, i.e. an emergent self, then there is no issue when we view the "me" as owner of the empirical physical body and mental mind.

There are many perspectives to view the "I" in their relevant context and they are relatively true as long the "I" is not regarded an entity that is independent of the external world and survives physical death.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Socrateaze wrote:If the body, as the op suggests, does not belong to us,
I haven't suggested that our body does not belong to us. I suggested that there is an elusive "I" that it belongs to. That the "I" is not our body, not our soul, not our spirit. Two totally different concepts.
Spectrum wrote:The main question of the OP is the typical 'Who Am I?"

There are many perspectives to view the "I" in their relevant context and they are relatively true as long the "I" is not regarded an entity that is independent of the external world and survives physical death.
What's excrete, i.e. independent of the discrete world, is possibly the soul.

The "I" I am looking for does not have characteristics, does not have an extent, does not have dimensions, does not have anything, except it owns (has ownership) of the body, mind and soul. It exists only as an owner; once the body, mind and soul are separated from the "I", the "I" dismantles its own existence.

You can call this mystical. I guess. I would not call it mystical, because it's part of hard, current reality. It is as far removed from reality as a dolphin or his obsession with Immanuel Kant's "Demagogia".
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Post by Spectrum »

-1- wrote: What's excrete, i.e. independent of the discrete world, is possibly the soul.
I have no issue if you say it is relatively independent but not absolutely independent like a soul that survives physical death.
The "I" I am looking for does not have characteristics, does not have an extent, does not have dimensions, does not have anything, except it owns (has ownership) of the body, mind and soul. It exists only as an owner; once the body, mind and soul are separated from the "I", the "I" dismantles its own existence.
"the "I" dismantles its own existence" sounds very odd.

What we have is the emergence of self-awareness and therefrom the "I" or ego-consciousness.
The higher primates and other animals with self-consciousness do not have an "I," ego or me-consciousness and an independent individuality.

The "I" do not dismantles its own existence. Rather the sense of self or "I-ness" is dependent on the specific neural algorithm that generate this "I-ness".
If there are changes to the various elements of the specific neural alogorithm for I-ness, then the degree of I-ness changes.
This degree of I-ness can be altered by drugs, hallucinogens, meditations, various conditioning, damage to the neurons, atrophy due to aging, etc.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Ranvier

Post by Ranvier »

-1-
What am I?... This is a question that must be viewed from a full range of different perspectives. Although, I must point out that it might be somewhat strange to describe “I” as the “owner” of the body or the “spirit”. One is in command and control of own body but one is not in the relationship of “ownership” of the body. The body would then be as much in ownership of “I” as I’m in the ownership of the body. It becomes one and the same “I”. Of course we can take a reductionist approach in asking how many body parts can be removed and still retain self? Naturally, what can be described as self is still there but it will no longer be the same as before. It’s the brain that houses a collection of memories and experiences that the body had perceived through senses giving rise to the mind that distinguishes self from the external environment in context of such mind. Yet there is one more aspect of self that can only be claimed by sentient humans in holding the consciousness of such mind. It’s that consciousness that is most puzzling to us. Consciousness becomes an integration of higher brain functions in own description of mind through language and the perception of such mind by others. One can be convinced of own rationality but when repeatedly confronted by disagreement of others, one may begin to question their own sanity. On the flip side, one couldn’t be certain of sanity even when most people engage in similar behavior, as heard from mother… “if all your friends where jumping off of the cliff, would you jump as well?” However, we do need others to gain insight into self. Not only to learn about our own individuality of unique thinking but the nature of subjective thought. I think it was Greta, who mentioned that we can Google any concept only to find that there were already thousands of people that thought about such concept. That being true I haven’t found yet a single person that would share my values. Therefore, you can’t learn the answer to such question from others, who can at best only help you to draw your own conclusions.
Razblo

Post by Razblo »

Ranvier wrote:-1-
What am I?... This is a question that must be viewed from a full range of different perspectives. Although, I must point out that it might be somewhat strange to describe “I” as the “owner” of the body or the “spirit”. One is in command and control of own body....
Really? Are you beating your heart or drawing air?
Socrateaze
Favorite Philosopher: George Carlin

Post by Socrateaze »

Spectrum wrote:
Socrateaze wrote:If the body, as the op suggests, does not belong to us, is that not mystical in itself? When is something day-to-day things and when is something not a day-to-day thing, that seems to be the question here. If my body is a day-to-day thing, it is ordinary, not extraordinary and it belongs to me; if it does not belong to me it is a mystical notion. Do you agree?
The main question of the OP is the typical 'Who Am I?"

"if it does not belong to me it is a mystical notion."
It is only a mystical notion if "me" [the self] is taken to be an entity that is independent of the external world and survives physical death.
Note Hume and many others [e.g. Kant, Eastern philosophies] has argued the self do not exists independently.

If the self is viewed as a psychological entity, i.e. an emergent self, then there is no issue when we view the "me" as owner of the empirical physical body and mental mind.

Yes, I don't believe we survive physical death, all we can leave is a legacy.

- If you can paint the wind, I will tell you the secrets of the soul.
Ranvier

Post by Ranvier »

Razblo wrote:
Ranvier wrote:-1-
What am I?... This is a question that must be viewed from a full range of different perspectives. Although, I must point out that it might be somewhat strange to describe “I” as the “owner” of the body or the “spirit”. One is in command and control of own body....
Pons and medulla oblongata of my brain stem controls the heart rate and breathing, although I can consciously take a breath or increase my heart rate by jumping up and down...I don't quite get the question in context of quoting me.

-- Updated August 6th, 2017, 6:01 am to add the following --

The reason I stated..."viewed from a full range of different perspectives"... was to say that if you describe what you see, then this is indicative of who you are.
Razblo

Post by Razblo »

Ranvier wrote:
Razblo wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Pons and medulla oblongata of my brain stem controls the heart rate and breathing, although I can consciously take a breath or increase my heart rate by jumping up and down...I don't quite get the question in context of quoting me.
My point was that you are not in fact controlling the functions of your body. Do you think my statement is somehow controversial or 100% untrue? Should we not mention or discuss such facts? Am I out of order in the context that is this topic? By all means feel free to let me know.
Ranvier

Post by Ranvier »

I see, well I will never tell anyone that they are "out of order" on any topic or their method of expressing their mind. Although, it's best to share thoughts rather than enter into contention about one's statement. It was I after all who alluded to an observation that the body, mind, and "spirit" is rather an integrated system of self. In other words mind influences the body and in turn the body influences the mind. Was I out of order?
Razblo

Post by Razblo »

Ranvier wrote:I see, well I will never tell anyone that they are "out of order" on any topic or their method of expressing their mind. Although, it's best to share thoughts rather than enter into contention about one's statement. It was I after all who alluded to an observation that the body, mind, and "spirit" is rather an integrated system of self. In other words mind influences the body and in turn the body influences the mind. Was I out of order?
Sure, but it was the "control" term you used that I was questioning.

I should speak for this body, I suppose. I admit to not controlling the heart function. For that matter I am not controlling thought function. The degree of control with regard to thoughts that I experience would be whether to pay particular attention to them, as I would if I was sitting an exam, for instance, or choosing to express them publicly or not.

I don't feel I control what thoughts arise because I am not generally in charge or in control of every event that arises for there to BE a thought about any particular spontaneously arising event.

On breathing, I could hold my breath for a little while but eventually and inevitably my body takes back charge again and continues breathing without any control by me. If I try to limit breathing it will force itself back to it's own rhythm.

Am I making sense? Am I wrong?
Ranvier

Post by Ranvier »

You're not wrong, I get you completely. It's just lately I'm under impression that whenever I speak my mind, people don't try to understand what I wish to convey but latch on to a single word (quite obvious in my mind) that I must explain. The reason I stated that I'm in control of my body is that if I decided to put a bullet in my head, then that would essentially result as end of my mind as well as the body.

-- Updated August 6th, 2017, 7:04 am to add the following --

People are so narrow minded that it's like talking to radical Theists in blind mindless faith or reductionist automaton entity of mindless regurgitation of facts. Sorry, I just had to share that impression...
Razblo

Post by Razblo »

Ranvier wrote:You're not wrong, I get you completely. It's just lately I'm under impression that whenever I speak my mind, people don't try to understand what I wish to convey but latch on to a single word (quite obvious in my mind) that I must explain. The reason I stated that I'm in control of my body is that if I decided to put a bullet in my head, then that would essentially result as end of my mind as well as the body.

-- Updated August 6th, 2017, 7:04 am to add the following --

People are so narrow minded that it's like talking to radical Theists in blind mindless faith or reductionist automaton entity of mindless regurgitation of facts. Sorry, I just had to share that impression...
Although the bodily-mind resistance encountered to pulling that trigger is almost immeasurably immense. So I think that example of "I control my body" doesn't really stack up well as an argument that we do control our bodies.

It seems to me that environment, including social environment, has greater control over our body's apparent decisions than this presumed "I". It seems more like we are cogs in a wheel.
Ranvier

Post by Ranvier »

The body is quite complaint with the decisions of my mind, although I must say that I don't always get "bulls eye" when playing darts. It's the consciousness that would put up the resistance to made up mind... Does environment, society, government etc have control over my body? Of course... but it's not a greater control than my mind and definitely not the control of my body decisions or bodily functions. I do understand though what you are referring to as "cogs in the wheel".
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

You can control your body yes. Of course it takes considerable effort. For example it is possible to douse yourself with oil and set yourself on fire. This is by no means a simple or easy task but it is possible.
Unknown means unknown.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

The way I see it, the term 'I' denotes an experiencing Subject with a sense of being a unified self. And as far as we've observed, such Subjects only exist in material packages/bodies, with identifiable correlates between bodily and mental processes ('neural correlation' for shorthand). However, we don't understand the nature of the relationship between the 'mental experience' and the ' physical body'., which is pretty fundamental need-to-know stuff when discussing things like this

There are some things we can observe, aside from neural correlation. We know we experience mental states as a discrete and unified field of consciousness, with a specific pov moving through time and space, apparently located in a discrete physical working body surrounded by other physical stuff it interacts with. We also construct models and narratives about the exterior world, and about 'ourselves', including having a memory and the ability to introspect, project 'ourselves' into imaginary scenarios, etc. , which contributes to seeing ourselves as having a continuous discrete identity.

I think all this adds up to a sense of being a unified 'I'.

Despite the fact that when we look at brains, the neuronal activity our experiences seem to correlate with, there doesn't appear to be a central command and control centre, a mini-me homunculus watching the cartesian theatre play out and issuing instructions. Rather the brain is more like a highly integrated system of various over-lapping sub-systems. Which suggests the sense of self is a useful construction which helps bring coherence to our models and narratives.

But who knows, maybe the physical world giving rise to subjective experience in particular configurations isn't the real starting place upon which to formulate our ideas, just the way which we find easier to grasp. Without a fundamental understanding of the relationship between the mental and physical, experience and stuff, nobody can say.

But my own feeling is that the evidence we do have strongly suggests each sense of 'I' is irreducibly linked to each lump of physical stuff (body) to which it is correlated, I am my body in that sense. And if I download my neural patterns to a different substrate like a computer and a new identically experiencing Subject is created, that's no longer this 'I', but a different one is created - and I will never step into a Star Trek transporter!

-- Updated August 7th, 2017, 12:40 am to add the following --

tldr - my guess is 'I' is whatever experiences associated with this body here is 'having' at any given moment.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream