Who is I? The possessor of my body, mind, and spirit?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Namelesss

Re: Who is I? The possessor of my body, mind, and spirit?

Post by Namelesss »

Tamminen wrote: December 15th, 2017, 5:32 pm
Namelesss wrote: December 15th, 2017, 4:07 pm Making distinction between 'subject' and 'object' is a fool's errand!
They are one and the same thing!
An object is a thing, the subject is not.
I'd be interested in your definitive definition of 'thing', and that which is not.
A clear and decisive boundary between the two.
For instance, would you consider a 'thought' a thing? A quark? A vacuum? The Universe?

Re: 'things';
classical physics has admitted to not ever being able to find a definitive place where one 'thing' leaves off and another begins!
Quantum has found that there can be no clear distinction between the observer and the observed, that the old ideal of science's 'objective observer' (as distinct from the observed) has been proven to be erroneous, obsolete! (Putting to rest the whole 'objective' vs 'subjective' nonsense!)

Again, I would support the "one and the same thing" theory, though there are many alternate theories based on 'appearances' (the appearance of 'duality', for instance) that, eventually, are shown to fail. *__-
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

Namelesss wrote: December 15th, 2017, 8:09 pm I'd be interested in your definitive definition of 'thing', and that which is not.
A clear and decisive boundary between the two.
For instance, would you consider a 'thought' a thing? A quark? A vacuum? The Universe?
I would say that a quark, a vacuum, and the universe as a whole, as I define it, are clearly "things", they are objects for the subject and describable with the language of physics. A thought is part of my relation to objects, so it is not a "thing". But a thought is an object of reflection, as the subject observes its own relation to the world. The subject can also be detected in reflection, as Descartes, for instance, found in his famous cogito. But the subject is not anything that can be described with the language of physics or with the language of psychology. That is what I mean by saying that it is transcendental. The subject is not an object. There is nothing "thing-like" in it. It is the ontological precondition of the being of all things and my relation to things.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Tamminen wrote: December 16th, 2017, 5:16 am A thought is part of my relation to objects, so it is not a "thing". But a thought is an object...
So, after declaring that; "An object is a thing, the subject is not. ", you seem to either be agreeing with me that 'subject' and 'object' refer to the same thing, just from different Perspectives, or you are confused. *__-
But the subject is not anything that can be described with the language of physics or with the language of psychology.

Of course it is, look at any dictionary under 'subject'; "The subject of our study is art!" "The 'subject' weighs 15 pounds!"
That is what I mean by saying that it is transcendental. The subject is not an object.

And again I tell you that you are misusing that term in the exact opposite of it's real meaning.
It's already taken.
'Transcendental' is "unconditional", non-dual, All is One, perhaps making up a new term for your 'conditional' notion? Hey, I Know, how about 'egoic mirage'?
There is nothing "thing-like" in it. It is the ontological precondition of the being of all things and my relation to things.
If you'd like to dig yourself in deeper, while still ignoring scientific and philosophic examples/demonstration of the impossibility of the 'subject' and 'object' being essentially different 'stuff/things', please, elaborate on what, exactly, in plain language (shouldn't be difficult if you understand the 'subject' matter) you mean by this?
(I am unimpressed with jargon, it's often intended and used as a smokescreen to hide confusion.)
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

To add another Perspective; the 'subject' is the 'object' of contemplation!
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

Nameless:
So, after declaring that; "An object is a thing, the subject is not. ", you seem to either be agreeing with me that 'subject' and 'object' refer to the same thing, just from different Perspectives, or you are confused.
We must make a distinction between objects of the world and objects of consciousness. When I see a tree, the tree is an object of the world, and my perception of the tree is an object of consciousness. When I reflect my relation to the world, for instance my perception of a tree, those relational elements become objects for the I, the transcendental subject. But the I is neither an object of the world nor an object of consciousness. It is something point-like, similar to what Wittgenstein spoke of in Tractatus. We can speak of objects of the world with the language of physics, we can speak of objects of consciousness with the language of psychology, but we can only refer to the transcendental subject with the language of philosophy. Even Descartes, after his famous insight of the being of cogito made the mistake of starting to speak of the soul as some kind of spiritual substance.
And again I tell you that you are misusing that term in the exact opposite of it's real meaning.
It's already taken.
'Transcendental' is "unconditional", non-dual, All is One, perhaps making up a new term for your 'conditional' notion?
My use of the term 'transcendental' seems to differ from yours. I use it in the sense similar to what Kant understood by it, and what also Wittgenstein adopted. It is almost the opposite of 'transcendent'.
If you'd like to dig yourself in deeper, while still ignoring scientific and philosophic examples/demonstration of the impossibility of the 'subject' and 'object' being essentially different 'stuff/things', please, elaborate on what, exactly, in plain language (shouldn't be difficult if you understand the 'subject' matter) you mean by this?
I am afraid I cannot explain it more clearly at the moment. Perhaps when I get wiser.
To add another Perspective; the 'subject' is the 'object' of contemplation!
The word 'object' can certainly have many meanings, but what is essential is the subject-object relation that constitutes the basic ontological structure of reality. Words are words, but we must see the basic facts behind words, and define our words according to those facts.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

...impossibility of the 'subject' and 'object' being essentially different 'stuff/things'
This is exactly the point you are missing. An object of the world is some kind of a thing or stuff, but the transcendental subject is not stuff of any kind. This was the mistake of Descartes, too. Therefore it is, not impossible, but necessary that an object of the universe and the subject are radically different, because the being of the subject is an ontological precondition for the being of objects.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Tamminen wrote: December 16th, 2017, 1:37 pm Nameless:
So, after declaring that; "An object is a thing, the subject is not. ", you seem to either be agreeing with me that 'subject' and 'object' refer to the same thing, just from different Perspectives, or you are confused.
We must make a distinction between objects of the world and objects of consciousness.

"We"? We = people who accept the dream, the 'make-believe', the 'apparent' as "The World" (tm)?
Certainly not the 'we' who Know better!
Who Know that, ultimately, this 'The World" (tm) about which you distinguish, only exists within Consciousness, IS Consciousness!
No matter what 'object' you choose, whether a rock from "The World" (tm) or an afternoon daydream, all are ultimately comprised of the exact same thing, 'information waves', Mindstuff! Nothing 'solid', no 'matter' other than as an 'appearance', a mirage living in the duality of the thoughts/ego that you perceive.
We perceive the code for 'thoughts' just as we perceive the code for rock, for 'hard', for 'green', for 'cold', for 'rough'... for everything that is ever perceived, which is everything.
Making crude distinctions between 'objects of the world' and 'objects of thought' is a very scientifically ignorant and shortsighted Perspective. In my opinion, no philosopher is devoid of the cutting edge of science/QM (and beyond) to inform his theories.
When I see a tree, the tree is an object of the world, and my perception of the tree is an object of consciousness.

Again, although pragmatic as common speech (at the moment), it is still a false (based on ignorance) distinction and will, ultimately, fail.

When I reflect my relation to the world, for instance my perception of a tree, those relational elements become objects for the I, the transcendental subject. But the I is neither an object of the world nor an object of consciousness. It is something point-like, similar to what Wittgenstein spoke of in Tractatus. We can speak of objects of the world with the language of physics, we can speak of objects of consciousness with the language of psychology, but we can only refer to the transcendental subject with the language of philosophy. Even Descartes, after his famous insight of the being of cogito made the mistake of starting to speak of the soul as some kind of spiritual substance.

You seem well educated, perhaps that is what is hindering your thought processes?

...philosophers and not "philosophologists", a term coined by Robert Pirsig ("Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", "Lila") to denote people who study other people's philosophy but cannot do philosophy themselves. He also says that most people who consider themselves philosophers are actually philosophologists. The difference between a philosopher and a philosophologist is like the difference between an art and aesthetics; one does and the other studies what the other does and theorizes about it.

Unless you refute QMs demonstration of the obsolescence of the ideal of classical physics/science; that the independent 'objective observer' (subject) studying/experimenting with the 'object' (object), that is exactly repeatable by other Perspectives/people, is impossible, that the observer and the observed, the 'subject' and the 'object', are inextricably One, then I'm afraid that the present discussion is merely repetition and fruitless.

In your education, perhaps you ran across Aristotle's bit if enlightenment when he declared Knowledge is experience?
Re; transcendence, I speak from Knowledge/experience, that is why I needn't invent facile alternate (exact opposite) definitions. It's as simple and elusive as the 'distinction' between the 'conditional' and the 'unconditional'!

From another angle, if you are a God person, and accept the 'Omni-' attribute; Omni- means One! ALL inclusive! *__-
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Tamminen wrote: December 16th, 2017, 1:37 pmWords are words, but we must see the basic facts behind words, and define our words according to those facts.
'Facts' = 'beliefs'.
Neither science nor philosophy deal in 'facts'.

"New study of the brain shows that facts and beliefs are processed in exactly the same way."

http://www.newsweek.com/id/216551?from=rss

As for words;

"A word is not a crystal, transparent and unchanged; it is the skin of a living thought and may vary greatly in color and content according to the circumstances and time in which it is used." -Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

Namelesss wrote: December 16th, 2017, 3:45 pm I'm afraid that the present discussion is merely repetition and fruitless.
Yes, I agree, but hopefully it has inspired someone else to think better. :)
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Tamminen wrote: December 16th, 2017, 5:14 pm
Namelesss wrote: December 16th, 2017, 3:45 pm I'm afraid that the present discussion is merely repetition and fruitless.
Yes, I agree, but hopefully it has inspired someone else to think better. :)
Personally, I find great value in these discussions just to help hone my own thoughts.
To present them in a lucid manner to the largest demographic is a never ending 'process'!
Thank you for the convo!
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

What I liked was the vigorous disagreement while maintaining focus and decency. When people behave sanely online, it gives me hope for the future :)

You may find part of another topic here - "What is an Object?" of interest. http://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums/ ... =2&t=10808

At the time I thought it was straightforward but by the time other members were finished with me, I had many more doubts about my understanding. The deeper you hone in, the less clear the concepts.
Syamsu

Post by Syamsu »

The spirit is properly you, because the spirit chooses. And soul is more properly you, because it is the spirit of all choices you have made in life. The mind and body are chosen over by the spirit or soul, the mind and body belong to the spirit.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Greta wrote: December 17th, 2017, 2:05 am What I liked was the vigorous disagreement...
At first glance differing Perspectives seem to ... 'disagree', while;

Every Perspective is unique every moment!

"For every Perspective, there is an equal and opposite Perspective!" - The First Law of Soul Dynamics

"The complete Universe (Reality/Truth/God/'Self!'/Tao/Brahman... or any feature herein...) can be completely defined/described as the synchronous sum-total of all Perspectives!"
ALL INCLUSIVE!!!
Win/win! *__-
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Greta wrote: December 17th, 2017, 2:05 amThe deeper you hone in, the less clear the concepts.
So, you just have to hone them! *__-
New concepts, new 'honing'.
Never ending Self exploration/Knowing!
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Namelesss wrote: December 18th, 2017, 7:51 pmEvery Perspective is unique every moment!
Yes, I believe that every person (and living thing) has a valid perspective to express, even when they talk lots of bull pucky. Somewhere in the words will be that person's truth, even if deliberately obscured.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream