Is it only lipstick on a pig?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Synthesis

Is it only lipstick on a pig?

Post by Synthesis »

A dozen years ago or so, I attended what would turn out to be the most interesting lecture of my professional life. A top-notch reconstructive facial surgeon [who dedicated half of his time to cosmetic surgery] gave a talk on, "What is beauty?" Believing this was going to be a time-filler kind of presentation, the guy kept a room of 250 absolutely mesmerized for an hour.

If you could picture what a leading Beverly Hills cosmetic surgeon might look like, it was this guy; really good looking, killer smile, and a calm confidence that communicated that he was at the top of his game. Not only was he incredibly knowledgeable, but he was funny, engaging, and paradoxically down-to-earth. I came to find out that most of his complex accident-related and/or deformation-related reconstructive cases were pro bono. This was a seriously good person.

Subsequent to his lecture, I began to consider that although few could challenge anything this surgeon was suggesting, and despite the fact that his manner/appearance/presentation was flawless, he could not and did not know what he was talking about [in any real sense]. Although his words were meticulously crafted into this beautifully poetic narritve, it was an illusion [of the highest order] just the same.

This is how confusing the human intellect can be, be it a brilliant physician, a genius CEO, or a highly polished politician, its just so much bs. And this is how easily people can be manipulated. Simply observe what the vast majority accept as the way it is, no matter the institution, time period, or venue.

The human mind appears to be fraught with issues that give rise to the delusions that manifests themselves in social orders that are [at best] severely lacking. My personal theory is that man has this insatiable desire to get something for nothing and will do everything to this end. Regardless, the only way out of the asylum is through the non-intellectual where we deposit our theories in the trash can outside of the exit and simply accept things as they are [no explanation necessary].
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Re: Is it only lipstick on a pig?

Post by Alias »

Synthesis wrote: Subsequent to his lecture, I began to consider that although few could challenge anything this surgeon was suggesting, and despite the fact that his manner/appearance/presentation was flawless, he could not and did not know what he was talking about [in any real sense]. Although his words were meticulously crafted into this beautifully poetic narritve, it was an illusion [of the highest order] just the same.
How did you reach this conclusion? What were your external sources of information? What false premises, what incorrect principles did you find in his reasoning?
Obviously, if that's his profession, he must have given the subject some previous thought, some consideration; he must have had ideas. How were those ideas false?
My personal theory is that man has this insatiable desire to get something for nothing and will do everything to this end.
In what kinds of transaction? Illustrate.
Regardless, the only way out of the asylum is through the non-intellectual where we deposit our theories in the trash can outside of the exit and simply accept things as they are [no explanation necessary].
By that route, "things" can never change. We become passive recipients of fortune's and nature's blows, like inanimate objects.
No animal will go along with that plan. They will try to affect their circumstances.
Reasoning is one of the methods they use to gain the necessities of life and avoid pain and death.
I don't think they'll stop.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Synthesis wrote:A dozen years ago or so, I attended what would turn out to be the most interesting lecture of my professional life. A top-notch reconstructive facial surgeon [who dedicated half of his time to cosmetic surgery] gave a talk on, "What is beauty?" Believing this was going to be a time-filler kind of presentation, the guy kept a room of 250 absolutely mesmerized for an hour.

If you could picture what a leading Beverly Hills cosmetic surgeon might look like, it was this guy; really good looking, killer smile, and a calm confidence that communicated that he was at the top of his game. Not only was he incredibly knowledgeable, but he was funny, engaging, and paradoxically down-to-earth. I came to find out that most of his complex accident-related and/or deformation-related reconstructive cases were pro bono. This was a seriously good person.

Subsequent to his lecture, I began to consider that although few could challenge anything this surgeon was suggesting, and despite the fact that his manner/appearance/presentation was flawless, he could not and did not know what he was talking about [in any real sense]. Although his words were meticulously crafted into this beautifully poetic narritve, it was an illusion [of the highest order] just the same.

This is how confusing the human intellect can be, be it a brilliant physician, a genius CEO, or a highly polished politician, its just so much bs. And this is how easily people can be manipulated. Simply observe what the vast majority accept as the way it is, no matter the institution, time period, or venue.

The human mind appears to be fraught with issues that give rise to the delusions that manifests themselves in social orders that are [at best] severely lacking. My personal theory is that man has this insatiable desire to get something for nothing and will do everything to this end. Regardless, the only way out of the asylum is through the non-intellectual where we deposit our theories in the trash can outside of the exit and simply accept things as they are [no explanation necessary].
I am sure out of a one hour lecture, you can remember three facts/statements that Dr Beverly Hills mentioned, that you have found to be "bs". Please share them with us.
"As usual... it depends."
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Alias wrote:
Synthesis wrote: Subsequent to his lecture, I began to consider that although few could challenge anything this surgeon was suggesting, and despite the fact that his manner/appearance/presentation was flawless, he could not and did not know what he was talking about [in any real sense]. Although his words were meticulously crafted into this beautifully poetic narrative, it was an illusion [of the highest order] just the same.
How did you reach this conclusion? What were your external sources of information? What false premises, what incorrect principles did you find in his reasoning?
Obviously, if that's his profession, he must have given the subject some previous thought, some consideration; he must have had ideas. How were those ideas false?

Lot of questions. I reached this conclusion because this is how all things work. There are no false premises, only illusory/false thinking. Those ideas were false because we can not know.
My personal theory is that man has this insatiable desire to get something for nothing and will do everything to this end.
In what kinds of transaction? Illustrate.

Millions of people have retirement accounts [401K's, IRA's, etc.] that are invested in various monetary instruments/equity/equity funds, etc.. People send company X their money and expect the same company to send them interest, dividends, and other profits made off of these "investments" for doing absolutely zero. This is something for nothing.
Regardless, the only way out of the asylum is through the non-intellectual where we deposit our theories in the trash can outside of the exit and simply accept things as they are [no explanation necessary].
By that route, "things" can never change. We become passive recipients of fortune's and nature's blows, like inanimate objects.
No animal will go along with that plan. They will try to affect their circumstances.
Reasoning is one of the methods they use to gain the necessities of life and avoid pain and death.
I don't think they'll stop.

Just the opposite. We become free living beings, unattached to our delusions and available to pursue life as it actually is.
Alias

Post by Alias »

So, actually, people are not doing "everything" to get "something" for "nothing" (which would be an oxymoron anyway); they're merely following the dictates of the economic system under which they live. The same people are also working for their wages, paying their taxes and interest on their mortgages, putting a huge amount of effort into the raising of ungrateful children and doing volunteer work for their communities and favours for their friends.

Not that I see any connection between that and your differing notions of beauty from those of an anonymous plastic surgeon you heard one time.
Or, for that matter why pigs ought not to wear lipstick, if it makes them happy. http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0000531/

But I suppose detaching yourself from delusion is good, too.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

LuckyR wrote:I am sure out of a one hour lecture, you can remember three facts/statements that Dr Beverly Hills mentioned, that you have found to be "bs". Please share them with us.
It was all false [no matter how glamorously it may have been presented], only because we are incapable of knowing truth.

-- Updated September 6th, 2017, 8:01 pm to add the following --
Alias wrote:So, actually, people are not doing "everything" to get "something" for "nothing" (which would be an oxymoron anyway); they're merely following the dictates of the economic system under which they live. The same people are also working for their wages, paying their taxes and interest on their mortgages, putting a huge amount of effort into the raising of ungrateful children and doing volunteer work for their communities and favours for their friends.

Not that I see any connection between that and your differing notions of beauty from those of an anonymous plastic surgeon you heard one time.
Or, for that matter why pigs ought not to wear lipstick, if it makes them happy. http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0000531/

But I suppose detaching yourself from delusion is good, too.
The point of the post was that no matter how incredible the packaging, the content always comes up short.
Alias

Post by Alias »

Synthesis wrote: The point of the post was that no matter how incredible the packaging, the content always comes up short.
Okay. You're disappointed. Meh.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Alias wrote:
Synthesis wrote: The point of the post was that no matter how incredible the packaging, the content always comes up short.
Okay. You're disappointed. Meh.
You mis-understand.

What I am saying is that no matter how much we are impressed by what somebody else has to say, we must keep in mind that they are only able [at best] to spout-out the current take on matters, something that will be soon proven to be false. Therefore, why not acknowledge such up-front? Would this not lead to a much healthier intellectual climate?
Alias

Post by Alias »

Synthesis wrote: What I am saying is that no matter how much we are impressed by what somebody else has to say, we must keep in mind that they are only able [at best] to spout-out the current take on matters, something that will be soon proven to be false.
In your dissertation, I have seen no support for this assumption. However, it may still be true.
Therefore, why not acknowledge such up-front?
What, like preface every opinion or thesis with "As far I know at this moment in time," or "Until refuted by new evidence," ?
I thought that was taken for granted. But, okay.
Would this not lead to a much healthier intellectual climate?
Maybe. Or it could lead to utter stagnation, as everyone gives up on forming a conviction or building a factual data-base.
Why bother?

You haven't said anything about beauty or why pigs shouldn't wear lipstick.
If your only intellectual contribution is: " Everything everybody knows is wrong," what's your stake in an intellectual climate?
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Alias wrote:
Synthesis wrote: What I am saying is that no matter how much we are impressed by what somebody else has to say, we must keep in mind that they are only able [at best] to spout-out the current take on matters, something that will be soon proven to be false.
In your dissertation, I have seen no support for this assumption. However, it may still be true.

You mention ahead that this is taken for granted, no? While this may be case, this is not the way people behave. People (in general) are very attached to their thinking.
What, like preface every opinion or thesis with "As far I know at this moment in time," or "Until refuted by new evidence," ?
I thought that was taken for granted. But, okay.

This is EXACTLY what should happen. It would prevent a great deal of pain in this world.
Would this not lead to a much healthier intellectual climate?
Maybe. Or it could lead to utter stagnation, as everyone gives up on forming a conviction or building a factual data-base.
Why bother?

Dealing with something much closer to the truth can only lead to better outcomes.

You haven't said anything about beauty or why pigs shouldn't wear lipstick.
If your only intellectual contribution is: " Everything everybody knows is wrong," what's your stake in an intellectual climate?

I assume you are making an attempt at humor in the first sentence above, but the second is germane. My stake is in finding those who are not interested in being "right." These are the only conversations that interest me.
Alias

Post by Alias »

Synthesis wrote:[that an assertion will be false]
You mention ahead that this is taken for granted, no?
No. It's taken for granted that one realizes that an assertion may be proven false at some time in the future.
You have proven nothing, either true or false, nor even made any attempt at refuting anyone else's assertion on any subject.
While this may be case, this is not the way people behave. People (in general) are very attached to their thinking.
So? People make an effort to learn things; they figure they've earned their convictions, their knowledge and professional expertise.
Formally, every time someone opens their mouth or set fingers to a keyboard?
How would that be any more significant than prefacing a statement with "I think" "I believe" or imo?
This is EXACTLY what should happen. It would prevent a great deal of pain in this world.
"Until such time as I'm proven wrong, I declare nuclear war on Country X." Yah, that'll work.
[Why bother?]
Dealing with something much closer to the truth can only lead to better outcomes.
How do you get any closer to the truth if nobody believes that truth is possible?

[You haven't said anything about beauty or why pigs shouldn't wear lipstick.
If your only intellectual contribution is: " Everything everybody knows is wrong," what's your stake in an intellectual climate?]
I assume you are making an attempt at humor in the first sentence above,
Why assume? I thought you've just been arguing against assuming things. I've asked you twice now, how the title of this thread figures in its content.
but the second is germane. My stake is in finding those who are not interested in being "right." These are the only conversations that interest me.
Ah. Good luck.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Alias wrote:
Synthesis wrote:[that an assertion will be false]
You mention ahead that this is taken for granted, no?
No. It's taken for granted that one realizes that an assertion may be proven false at some time in the future.
You have proven nothing, either true or false, nor even made any attempt at refuting anyone else's assertion on any subject.

Perhaps you can give me an example of an Absolute truth?
While this may be case, this is not the way people behave. People (in general) are very attached to their thinking.
So? People make an effort to learn things; they figure they've earned their convictions, their knowledge and professional expertise.

It is attachment that causes all suffering. That's the difficulty.
Formally, every time someone opens their mouth or set fingers to a keyboard?
How would that be any more significant than prefacing a statement with "I think" "I believe" or imo?

You should be able to speak with confidence [with the above implied]. And not confidence that you are right.

[Why bother?]
How do you get any closer to the truth if nobody believes that truth is possible?

Just because you can not do anything perfectly does not mean that you should not do it.

[You haven't said anything about beauty or why pigs shouldn't wear lipstick.
If your only intellectual contribution is: " Everything everybody knows is wrong," what's your stake in an intellectual climate?]
I assume you are making an attempt at humor in the first sentence above,
Why assume? I thought you've just been arguing against assuming things. I've asked you twice now, how the title of this thread figures in its content.

"Putting lipstick on a pig" is another way of saying that you are attempting to make something bad look good. "What is beauty?," was the name of the lecture presented, nothing more. IOW, the lecture was about what constitutes beauty [to a cosmetic surgeon].
but the second is germane. My stake is in finding those who are not interested in being "right." These are the only conversations that interest me.
Ah. Good luck.

Thank you.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Synthesis wrote:
LuckyR wrote:I am sure out of a one hour lecture, you can remember three facts/statements that Dr Beverly Hills mentioned, that you have found to be "bs". Please share them with us.
It was all false [no matter how glamorously it may have been presented], only because we are incapable of knowing truth.
Hhmmmm, not one measly quote? Now who is guilty of spewing bs?
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

LuckyR wrote:
Synthesis wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

You mis-understand. What he was saying was perfectly acceptable according current thinking, but not actually true.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Synthesis wrote:
LuckyR wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

You mis-understand. What he was saying was perfectly acceptable according current thinking, but not actually true.
Most folks who declare that something is not true, do so because a different thing (than the original) is in fact true. However, reading between the lines I am starting to get the feeling that your opinion is that nothing is true. Is this correct?

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream