Could this be an incisive definition for consciousness?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Present awareness

Re: Could this be an incisive definition for consciousness?

Post by Present awareness »

I’m not sure why everything here and now, would imply no space? Everything seems to be in a state of constant motion, from the smallest particle to the largest galaxy, so one would think there needs to be empty space for things to move thru. The emptiness of space would be absolute, so it’s hard to talk about space as if it exists, as if it is something. Nevertheless, without nothing, we could not have something, just as without dark, we could not have light. Opposites produce each other.

I agree with you when you say “everything in the universe is simply here and now, period”.
Even though you can see me, I might not be here.
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

When I said "space" I was thinking of "empty space", as in the space between objects.

When I try to visualize Everything being in the same place it's hard for me to imagine a corresponding idea of space. I can't imagine the concept of "space" having any meaning if Everything is in the same place as Everything else.

Can you?
Present awareness

When I say that everything is here, now, I don’t mean in the exact same space, but rather spread out throughout the universe, so that wherever you are in the universe, it will still be now. Whether in the next room or in the next galaxy, it is the present moment everywhere.
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

Present awareness wrote:When I say that everything is here, now, I don’t mean in the exact same space, but rather spread out throughout the universe, so that wherever you are in the universe, it will still be now. Whether in the next room or in the next galaxy, it is the present moment everywhere.
What about the past and the future? Do they not also exist everywhere?

After all, the past and the future are the present, if taken from a certain pov. What is past, present, or future depends upon the perceiver, does it not?
Present awareness

In the “natural order” topic, Steve made this comment: “The trouble with time is that just like other concepts that we've created as a result of our observations of the real world, it's deeply tied to our actual experience of it here and now.”

In order for time to exist, there needs to be a reference point, and here and now is the only reference point that we have. Because it’s always now, you would never be wrong in saying it’s now, if someone asked what time it is. “Now” makes a great reference point because it doesn’t move. That which “will be” is already “here now” in its present form and that which “has been” is “here now” in its current form, so you are right Atreyu, when you say the past and future ARE the present and it all depends on the perceiver.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Papus79 wrote:Could this be an incisive definition for consciousness?
I don't even have to read your attempt to define Consciousness!
It is not possible!
All 'definition' is dualistic, limited, egoic/thought! All 'duality/definition' is conditional, dependent on conditions!
'Consciousness is One Universal Consciousness, completely transcendent, unconditional, impossible to fit into the little limited box of your dualistic, lying thoughts.
That is why there has been no (Universal) 'definition' of anything, ever, that is unconditional; unconditional Love, for instance, or it's unconditional Virtues.

"To speak is to lie! To teach is to lie with conviction!"
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

I've had maybe a few more insights in the last couple days and this is how I might tweak my original statement:

Human beings, and really anything conscious enough in the universe to be self aware, is - itself - something like the unfolding of a mathematical monster or possibly an entire constellation of them.

In a way I admit that the above statement will seem after the fact because it's obvious that we're complex. At the same time though, considering as I do that free will is really something of a complex illusion (ie. we mistake agency for libertarian freedom from the universe on an intuitive level) what comes out of us is also the same stuff behind us feeding into us - ie. chaos mathematics.

In a way our conscious minds are, like I said before, likely the product of uncollapsed fields of a sort where those uncollapsed fields act as an optioning engine or really a complex probability engine which is holding a big ring of keys (such as food, water, shelter, sex, and all kinds of other needs that need to be resolved) and searching for different places in both the external and internal landscape where those keys can be resolved.

At the same time the conscious mind is a bit like the bleeding edge of a chaos mathematical equation. Part of why we seek novelty is that it's what we're made of.

A lot of this also helps me understand, at a much more intuitive level, why you just won't have a lot the more etherial elements of consciousness or the 'supernatural' (I hate that word but unfortunately it's the only thing expedient enough here) perform well in a laboratory setting. Most laboratory setting are about shrinking the field of variables and, if the things being studied are based on chaos you'll find your object of study receding from view with every step that you attempt to ingress toward it.

I have to go back to Sean Carrol's explanation of the double-slit experiment. The guy may be a raving materialist but I think he said something that made more sense than anything I've heard to date - ie. that the double slit experiment works the way it does because particles, in their natural state, are fields and only become particles when measured. The natural state of unentangled things is fields, much like the natural state of a lightning globe is to have the tendrils of static electicity arrayed out all over the globe and panning around whereas they unify in one point if the globe gets touched.
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

As for claims that insight into these things is impossible - I'm sorry but I really have to just look at that as social politics. People have been saying things like that to one another since time immemorial and our physics would be the four elements and our medicine would still be Galinas if we all capitulated to that sort of criticism.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Papus79 wrote: December 24th, 2017, 2:52 pm As for claims that insight into these things is impossible - I'm sorry but I really have to just look at that as social politics. People have been saying things like that to one another since time immemorial and our physics would be the four elements and our medicine would still be Galinas if we all capitulated to that sort of criticism.
First, if you use the quote button, we'd know who you are talking to.
Segundo, if you are speaking to me, the OP asked for an "incisive definition for consciousness", which is impossible (for the reasons enumerated).
On the other hand, "insights into these things" are obviously possible, and numerous, as evidenced by my/Our insight (that a definition is not possible)! *__-

Of course, if a 'definition' were possible, it would necessarily consist of an amalgam of the sum total of all (attempts at) definition. Completely unKnowable to any single Perspective (us).
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

I am the OP. In my first post I was offering a possible lens on the topic which I at least found insightful in terms of how it matched up to the behavior of awareness and attention.

Right above what you just quoted I was giving an update on my considerations. I didn't quote you because I've seen it before, you're not the only person in this thread to say something along those lines, and I wanted to reiterate my stance on mysterianism as related to the roots or essence of consciousness. People are free to express their beliefs as such but because its more of a belief claim rather than a direct criticism that interacts with the content of what I said I don't feel like I'm evading anything if I by and large to ignore it or not bother coming up with a counter criticism, aside to say that I tend to see them as progress-stoppers.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream