What is CTD?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
RJG

Re: What is CTD?

Post by RJG »

Chili wrote:
RJG wrote:If they can ‘recognize’, then I consider them conscious.
I'm hearing "eye of the beholder" much more than rigor here.
Yep, I concur. (...although there are tests for the 'experiencing of recognition' to 'rule-out' consciousness, such as for Alzheimer's patients, ...but not any to 'rule-in' the experiencing of recognition in computers, ...or zombies).
Last edited by RJG on October 23rd, 2017, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chili

Post by Chili »

RJG wrote:
Chili wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

I'm hearing "eye of the beholder" much more than rigor here.
Yep, I concur. (...although there are tests for 'recognition', such as for Alzheimer's patients, ...but not for computers, ...or zombies).
The tests are all based on what people feel in the gut. The task is to convince people at the gut level.
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

RJG 12, Everyone Else 1. Halftime.
JamesOfSeattle
Premium Member

Post by JamesOfSeattle »

RJG wrote:[stuff].
RJG, I think I see the disconnect. You are ascribing all of consciousness to one particular sub-agent in the brain, namely, what Damasio refers to as the autobiographical self. The output of that agent includes at least memory. It's possible that its output includes other things, such as the release of hormones which induce emotional states, but I don't think that has been established. It's also possible that its output includes veto control over some decisions, but again, I don't think that has been established. What has been shown, and what you are keying on, is that the autobiographical agent is not the one responsible for primary decisions to act

So my point is that with respect to the autobiographical self, what you say may be correct. However if you consider the whole brain as the agent, it is wrong to say there is no conscious control.

Togo1

Post by Togo1 »

RJG wrote:
Togo1 wrote:If a time delay dooms us to only see events that have already happened, how is it we play tennis?
CTD has NO effect on the body’s ability to play tennis.
Ok, I'm going to go through this in baby steps, because you seem to have difficultly engaging with what I've actually said:

YOU are saying that because there is a time delay between the real world and conscious processing, consciousness can't be involve in our actions.
I am saying that there exists a time delay between the real world and unconscious processing. Why does this not stop us hitting tennis balls?
RJG wrote:The body performs lots of amazing and complex tasks without consciousness.
Yes, and every single one of those amazing and complex tasks takes place at a time delay to the real world, just like consciousness does.

You are saying consciousness can't control anything because of a time delay. But the entire brain works on a time delay. Why does the same arguement not apply?
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Just for the sake of revealing some of the confusion to those that have looked at this subject from several angles:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/eidetic-reduction
Eidetic reduction, in phenomenology, a method by which the philosopher moves from the consciousness of individual and concrete objects to the transempirical realm of pure essences and thus achieves an intuition of the eidos (Greek: “shape”) of a thing—i.e., of what it is in its invariable and essential structure, apart from all that is contingent or accidental to it. The eidos is thus the principle or necessary structure of the thing. Being a science of essences, phenomenology finds this reduction important for its methodology.

Thus, the eidetic reduction is neither a form of induction nor an abstraction. In accordance with the phenomenological reduction, it abstains from any sort of positing of the actual existence of its objects, and it brackets, or holds in suspense, the concrete and factual content. On the other hand, it is not an empirical generalization that takes place at the level of man’s natural attitude.
Atyeuryuer -
RJG 12, Everyone Else 1. Halftime.
Yeah, I've noticed you're ignorance too. Congrats! The question is are you just as stubborn and unwilling to read as RJG, or do you also believe your own armchair antics outweigh the masses of accumulated human knowledge?

It is not half-time. RJG is playing on an imaginary field and has been doing so for 5+ years. I've tried over the years to coax him into playing by the rules of the big boys, but he is insistent that our rules are wrong (even though we manage to play very well together) and that his rules are right. He lives by one dogmatic rule whilst others live by the understanding of several different sets of rules that produce differing, and sometimes contrary, perspectives.

The self defining fact that processes take time is hardly worthy of praise. There is the interesting phenomenon of how we construct language to capture this idea and relate it to parceled sequences of abstract time in order to predict future events.

RJG -

For the sake of the argument I am going to blindly agree with you and start backing up your claims with information in the future.

To start :

darwinianconservatism.blogspot.com/2017 ... l-and.html

I think Sapolsky has a good case to some degree. What is less obvious is what it is we're referring to as being "free-will" on this level. If you know a little more about Sapolsky then you'll see he is far from being a hard determinist. A question that many people don't seem to ask is if the universe is not determined (in the hard-cast clockwork sense) then does this necessarily mean that we are "free"?

To approach this question we can compile a very string case against the premise of "free-will", against the idea of "consciously doing something". Getting caught up in irreducible fragments of time does nothing to solidify the case against free-will. It is a dead end.
AKA badgerjelly
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

RJG wrote:
LuckyR wrote:Yet tennis can be played, intentionally.
Not so. For how does one play “intentionally”? Does one 'intend' their own intentionality?

“Intentionality” is a self-contradictory concept (i.e. “self-stultification”). One cannot “intend” anything without there existing the prior “intention” to do so. This prior “intention” defeats any viability of true 'intentionality', making the term itself self-contradictory (nonsensical).
In your peculiar use of the word intentional, what would you call the alternative, randomness?
"As usual... it depends."
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

LuckyR -

See above post I made addressed to RJG.

You'll find a better presentation there about how chaos steps into the debate over "free-will". This basically boils down to chaotic systems being unpredictable. As the complexity of the brains functions has some reducible level that ends in chaotic patterns it is fair to say that the "intention" is simply how consciousness frames the bodily experience of the manifest form of the prior chaotic system (which can be known and tracked back to a certain degree with predictions, just as the future outcomes can be predicted within a certain margin of error after which the sequential order of events becomes complex and then simply chaotic - beyond steady state cycle ?? My technical jargon is likely a little off, but hope you catch the gist.)

So RJG is just saying that the recognition of a functional process (outside of direct conscious control - necessarily so) is not the same as intentionally altering the said functional process. The conscious state merely assesses the outcome of the processes and from their it feeds back into the system as it is functionally required to do so after playing with it.

The question is then do you see that as being "free will" or as the absence of "free will"?

That is essentially the crux upon which this whole discussion lies. If you're only convinced of one interpretation of this then you're possibly at some disadvantage in being able to reconcile your view with others and developing better ways to present your argumentation.
AKA badgerjelly
RJG

Post by RJG »

JamesOfSeattle wrote:RJG, I think I see the disconnect. You are ascribing all of consciousness to one particular sub-agent in the brain, namely, what Damasio refers to as the autobiographical self. The output of that agent includes at least memory. It's possible that its output includes other things, such as the release of hormones which induce emotional states, but I don't think that has been established. It's also possible that its output includes veto control over some decisions, but again, I don't think that has been established. What has been shown, and what you are keying on, is that the autobiographical agent is not the one responsible for primary decisions to act

So my point is that with respect to the autobiographical self, what you say may be correct. However if you consider the whole brain as the agent, it is wrong to say there is no conscious control.
Not so. ALL brain processes consume time.

James, you are over complicating, over-thinking, all this. This is much ‘simpler’ than you allude to here. This is simply about the IMPOSSIBILITY of doing something AFTER it has already been done. (e.g. You can't step outside if you are already outside).

If brain processes consume any time whatsoever, then this establishes the AFTER relationship, and the resulting IMPOSSIBILITY of these brain processes controlling that which has already happened.

Togo1 wrote:YOU are saying that because there is a time delay between the real world and conscious processing, consciousness can't be involve in our actions.
Correct. Consciousness cannot 'cause’ something that has already happened.
Togo1 wrote:I am saying that there exists a time delay between the real world and unconscious processing. Why does this not stop us hitting tennis balls?
Togo, you too, are over thinking all this. If these "unconscious" processes happened AFTER the hitting of the tennis ball, then they CANNOT be the ‘cause’ of hitting the tennis ball (...and if they happened BEFORE, then they can be).
Togo1 wrote:You are saying consciousness can't control anything because of a time delay.
YES. CTD establishes an AFTER relationship. And because of CTD, conscious causation (aka conscious control, "free-will", mental causation) is IMPOSSIBLE.

Burning ghost, thank you for the link to the very interesting article.
Chili

Post by Chili »

"Free-will" is generally just not thought through. If all things have causes, then that makes it an illusion - or at the very least an unexamined subjective impression.

Sometimes we experiencing performing a conscious action and may callously not be aware of the effects of that action, but we can become aware of them.

But we can also ask about the causes in the world which precede the "conscious action" - past experiences, mental conditioning, or indeed physical causes which are passing through a person and their brain.

From a religious perspective, how indeed could God relinquish agency and control over all of creation?
JamesOfSeattle
Premium Member

Post by JamesOfSeattle »

RJG wrote: Not so. ALL brain processes consume time.
I never said otherwise.
James, you are over complicating, over-thinking, all this. This is much ‘simpler’ than you allude to here.
Who said that explanations should be as simple as possible, but no simpler?
If brain processes consume any time whatsoever, then this establishes the AFTER relationship, and the resulting IMPOSSIBILITY of these brain processes controlling that which has already happened.
But there are some brain processes that establish the BEFORE relationship, as in the decision to move to the left. I'm saying that this decision is a conscious event. It is performed in response to an input (ball moving to left), it initiates the movement, and the movement happens after the decision. The decision is made in the brain before "you" (the autobiographical self) are conscious of it, but so what? It (the decision) is still in the class of events I call conscious events. Those events which you are calling consciousness are only a subset of this class, specifically, those events which generate memory and are performed by the autobiographical self.

Chili

Post by Chili »

If 2 people are playing chess, this kind of discussion seems quite irrelevant. There is an overall understanding of the board that each person has.

Something like that happens when playing tennis. The sensations from seconds ago are integrated into the "story" that you have about the tennis game, and what you would do if this happened or that happened. You make a split-second decision based on your understanding of where the other person will be going. Of course they may be faking you out. Then you brain went the wrong way.
RJG

Post by RJG »

JamesOfSeattle wrote:But there are some brain processes that establish the BEFORE relationship, as in the decision to move to the left.
What comes first, the “decision”, or the “consciousness-of-the-decision”?
JamesOfSeattle
Premium Member

Post by JamesOfSeattle »

RJG wrote:What comes first, the “decision”, or the “consciousness-of-the-decision”?
The decision, which is a conscious act of agent A, comes first. Consciousness of the decision, which is a conscious act of agent B, comes after.

RJG

Post by RJG »

-delete-

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream