The God paradox

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Rationalbenny
New Trial Member

The God paradox

Post by Rationalbenny »

This is perhaps for me the most counter-intuitive subversive concept i can ever try to even fathom because of its complex nature that raises religious concerns.

the problem that i have with this theory is the fact that it can spiral out of control i ask anyone here to try to disprove or perhaps explain this theory.
so lets get address of the rudimentary concept of this theory.
The god paradox states that in a precedent if God is unable to create a stone that he cannot lift then he is not omnipotent the paradox is created by the tautological dichotomous statement that if he can lift a stone that he created for the purpose of not being able to lift it then this also is an identification that he is not all omnipotent.
however this grotesque paradox can trigger an infinite chain of question such as is God limited by his own power if so he is not omnipotent or if God is above everything can he be above existence if not he is not omnipotent after all the concept of a God is an existential being ; including the famous bible verse that "unto him all things are possible" but indeed if he can do the impossible this implies that he can contradict himself and create other Gods and over rule his own judgement and this is possible then he is not omnipotent

I find difficulty defining an existential being that is all powerful because if he can do everything possible this means he can do the impossible because even the impossible exists as a possibility
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Re: The God paradox

Post by Alias »

Before you drive yourself crazy, ask these questions:
What does it mean to be omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient?
Would it be possible?
If any or all of these propositions are impossible, given physics, etc.,
why bother arguing about them?
If, on the other hand, physics, etc. are of no consequence,
why bother asking a god to explain itself?

IOW -
Why are you wasting your time on this when you could be having having a beer and watching a hockey game?
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

I would also say that language is trivially prone to creating paradox where none exists.
For example. 'this sentence is false'.
What you have done is say if God is a round square how come he exists.
Unknown means unknown.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Rationalbenny wrote: January 9th, 2018, 7:44 am
The god paradox states that in a precedent if God is unable to create a stone that he cannot lift then he is not omnipotent...
Only if you understand 'omnipotent' to describe having a quantity of power. Rather, the idea is that God is outside material concepts like 'weight' and 'strength'.
I find difficulty defining an existential being that is all powerful because if he can do everything possible this means he can do the impossible because even the impossible exists as a possibility
The conventional idea of God is not that he can 'do the impossible'.

Besides, in the phrase 'exists as a possibility', what would 'exist' mean?
Stevehicks25
New Trial Member

Post by Stevehicks25 »

This to me raises what I think is the point of Godel’s proof. If you think that somehow a God can be considered to be part of a logical system. I believe his proof states basically that there is no logical system which is complete or does not have logically inconsistent statements, such as “if god is omnipotent then he should be able to create a stone that he can’t lift, which is self contradictory, but a possible statement within the logical system that posits God’s existence and that He is omnipotent. So I think the point is that a logical system that assumes God is possible, is bound to be subject to have logically inconsistent statements and that the above argument does not prove or disprove the existence of God, which can’t be proved or disproved anyway.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

I can't prove or disprove I can turn invisible.
Unknown means unknown.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Rationalbenny wrote: January 9th, 2018, 7:44 am This is perhaps for me the most counter-intuitive subversive concept i can ever try to even fathom because of its complex nature that raises religious concerns.

the problem that i have with this theory is the fact that it can spiral out of control i ask anyone here to try to disprove or perhaps explain this theory.
The god paradox states that in a precedent if God is unable to create a stone that he cannot lift then he is not omnipotent the paradox is created by the tautological dichotomous statement that if he can lift a stone that he created for the purpose of not being able to lift it then this also is an identification that he is not all omnipotent.
however this grotesque paradox can trigger an infinite chain of question such as is God limited by his own power if so he is not omnipotent or if God is above everything can he be above existence if not he is not omnipotent after all the concept of a God is an existential being ; including the famous bible verse that "unto him all things are possible" but indeed if he can do the impossible this implies that he can contradict himself and create other Gods and over rule his own judgement and this is possible then he is not omnipotent

Again, ignorance is filled with paradoxes that reflect that ignorance.
Had you spent 5 minutes doing some internet research on your 'paradox' of God and Her rock, your confusion might have been alleviated before you offered 'this'.
Here, for your reading pleasure, learn why it is not a paradox, just an ignorant question;

Can God Make a Rock So Big He Cannot Lift It?

http://apologeticjunkie.blogspot.com/20 ... ft_24.html

This is one of my favorite questions that comes up from time to time. Indeed, many atheists and skeptics have posed this question in an attempt to stump Christians and somehow disprove the omnipotence (and existence) of God. Maybe you've been there. What is so ironic about a question of this type is that rather than prove any sort of deficiency in the character or nature of God, this question actually shows a lack of clear thinking and logic on the part of the skeptic! In other words, the question itself is flawed and fallacious in several ways and, unfortunately, the person raising the question has not taken the time to truly think this problem through.

Problem #1: this question commits the fallacy known as a loaded question. Imagine if I were to ask you, "Have you stopped beating your spouse yet?" If you answer yes, that means you were beating your spouse but you have since stopped. And if you answer no, that means you're still beating them! Either way you answer the question, you automatically concede that you beat your spouse! This is a no win situation because the question itself starts with a false assumption and is therefore a "loaded" question. Likewise, the question "Can God make a rock so big He cannot life it?" also starts with a false assumption, i.e., that God is not omnipotent. If you answer "Yes" to the question, that means that God is not omnipotent since He can make the rock but isn't powerful enough to lift it. But if you answer "No," that also means that God is not omnipotent since He couldn't make a rock so big He cannot lift it! In other words, the question itself is dishonest, a pseudo-question, since it begs the question by assuming God is not omnipotent.

Problem #2: this question commits a categorical fallacy. The question itself is incoherent and meaningless. Suppose I were to ask you, "What does the color blue smell like?" or "How much does the number seven weigh?" These are category mistakes because colors don't smell and numbers don't weigh anything. They are logical impossibilities. In the same manner, asking the question "Can God make a rock so big He cannot lift it?" is essentially to ask "Can God's power defeat His own power?" This is nonsensical and a category error since the question is being incorrectly applied. Greg Koukl has stated, "The question is nonsense because it treats God as if He were two instead of one. The phrase 'stronger than' can only be used when two subjects are in view...Since God is only one...it makes no sense to ask if He is stronger than Himself."

Problem #3: this question commits a straw man fallacy. The goal of the skeptic who asks this question is to somehow undermine the Christian concept of an omnipotent God. It is thought that if it can be shown there are some things God cannot do, this would prove that God could not be omnipotent and thus could not exist as Christians have traditionally portrayed Him. However, this line of reasoning is attacking a distorted concept of Biblical omnipotence and is therefore guilty of the straw man fallacy.

So what does it mean then that God is omnipotent? Omnipotence doesn't mean that God can do anything. There are actually quite a few things that God cannot do. He cannot make squared circles. He cannot make a one-ended stick. He cannot sin. He cannot improve His morality. So God is limited in a sense. But not one of these "limitations" has to do with power, rather, they are logical contradictions. Also, notice that His "limitations" are not due to any defects in His character or power but rather they are the result of His perfection and rational nature! As Norman Geisler has stated, "He is only 'limited' by His unlimited perfection." To say that God is omnipotent then is to say that God can do anything so long as it is logically possible and consistent with His nature. God's omnipotence does not mean that He can do what is impossible but only that He can do whatever is actually possible.

Conclusion: So what then is the answer? Can God make a rock so big He cannot lift it? My comments above put aside, I still like the way one particular 7-year-old responded: "I can't give you a smart answer to a dumb question."

The old "willing or able" diatribe asked countless times here by those who never search it and somehow always think they are original! Chris Tiegreen answers you this way..."He is both willing and able! The problem is not with God's power and it's not with his love, it is with our faith. When God doesn't resolve a situation to our liking, especially in which the suffering is great, we are tempted to accuse Him of either impotence or negligence. Jesus' response tells us to look within...unanswered prayer is a call to come closer, look deeper, know God better, and seek His will further. It's a call to be transformed as a disciple and to be conformed to the image of Christ. By such the Father separates those who desire to test Him from those who desire to know Him."
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Eduk wrote: January 10th, 2018, 4:16 pm I can't prove or disprove I can turn invisible.
One of my sons, once, could turn things invisible also, just by closing his eyes.
Like you? *__-

Neither science nor philosophy 'proves'.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Namelesss wrote: January 12th, 2018, 6:01 pm
Rationalbenny wrote: January 9th, 2018, 7:44 am This is perhaps for me the most counter-intuitive subversive concept i can ever try to even fathom because of its complex nature that raises religious concerns.

Again, ignorance is filled with paradoxes that reflect that ignorance.
Had you spent 5 minutes doing some internet research on your 'paradox' of God and Her rock, your confusion might have been alleviated before you offered 'this'.
Here, for your reading pleasure, learn why it is not a paradox, just an ignorant question;

http://apologeticjunkie.blogspot.com/20 ... ft_24.html

This is one of my favorite questions that comes up from time to time. Indeed, many atheists and skeptics have posed this question in an attempt to stump Christians and somehow disprove the omnipotence (and existence) of God. Maybe you've been there. What is so ironic about a question of this type is that rather than prove any sort of deficiency in the character or nature of God, this question actually shows a lack of clear thinking and logic on the part of the skeptic! In other words, the question itself is flawed and fallacious in several ways and, unfortunately, the person raising the question has not taken the time to truly think this problem through.

Problem #1: this question commits the fallacy known as a loaded question. Imagine if I were to ask you, "Have you stopped beating your spouse yet?" If you answer yes, that means you were beating your spouse but you have since stopped. And if you answer no, that means you're still beating them! Either way you answer the question, you automatically concede that you beat your spouse! This is a no win situation because the question itself starts with a false assumption and is therefore a "loaded" question. Likewise, the question "Can God make a rock so big He cannot life it?" also starts with a false assumption, i.e., that God is not omnipotent. If you answer "Yes" to the question, that means that God is not omnipotent since He can make the rock but isn't powerful enough to lift it. But if you answer "No," that also means that God is not omnipotent since He couldn't make a rock so big He cannot lift it! In other words, the question itself is dishonest, a pseudo-question, since it begs the question by assuming God is not omnipotent.

Problem #2: this question commits a categorical fallacy. The question itself is incoherent and meaningless. Suppose I were to ask you, "What does the color blue smell like?" or "How much does the number seven weigh?" These are category mistakes because colors don't smell and numbers don't weigh anything. They are logical impossibilities. In the same manner, asking the question "Can God make a rock so big He cannot lift it?" is essentially to ask "Can God's power defeat His own power?" This is nonsensical and a category error since the question is being incorrectly applied. Greg Koukl has stated, "The question is nonsense because it treats God as if He were two instead of one. The phrase 'stronger than' can only be used when two subjects are in view...Since God is only one...it makes no sense to ask if He is stronger than Himself."

Problem #3: this question commits a straw man fallacy. The goal of the skeptic who asks this question is to somehow undermine the Christian concept of an omnipotent God. It is thought that if it can be shown there are some things God cannot do, this would prove that God could not be omnipotent and thus could not exist as Christians have traditionally portrayed Him. However, this line of reasoning is attacking a distorted concept of Biblical omnipotence and is therefore guilty of the straw man fallacy.

So what does it mean then that God is omnipotent? Omnipotence doesn't mean that God can do anything. There are actually quite a few things that God cannot do. He cannot make squared circles. He cannot make a one-ended stick. He cannot sin. He cannot improve His morality. So God is limited in a sense. But not one of these "limitations" has to do with power, rather, they are logical contradictions. Also, notice that His "limitations" are not due to any defects in His character or power but rather they are the result of His perfection and rational nature! As Norman Geisler has stated, "He is only 'limited' by His unlimited perfection." To say that God is omnipotent then is to say that God can do anything so long as it is logically possible and consistent with His nature. God's omnipotence does not mean that He can do what is impossible but only that He can do whatever is actually possible.

Conclusion: So what then is the answer? Can God make a rock so big He cannot lift it? My comments above put aside, I still like the way one particular 7-year-old responded: "I can't give you a smart answer to a dumb question."

The old "willing or able" diatribe asked countless times here by those who never search it and somehow always think they are original! Chris Tiegreen answers you this way..."He is both willing and able! The problem is not with God's power and it's not with his love, it is with our faith. When God doesn't resolve a situation to our liking, especially in which the suffering is great, we are tempted to accuse Him of either impotence or negligence. Jesus' response tells us to look within...unanswered prayer is a call to come closer, look deeper, know God better, and seek His will further. It's a call to be transformed as a disciple and to be conformed to the image of Christ. By such the Father separates those who desire to test Him from those who desire to know Him."
Bravo, that is one explanation of the question. OTOH, the absence of gods also explains the question equally well. The presence of gods who aren't omnipotent is another perfectly logical explanation.
"As usual... it depends."
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

LuckyR wrote: January 13th, 2018, 2:27 amBravo, that is one explanation of the question. OTOH, the absence of gods also explains the question equally well.

I don't think so; the very question assumes a God ("Can God...").
The presence of gods who aren't omnipotent is another perfectly logical explanation.
Again, uh uh.
The question is about an Omni- God/Universe, specifically.
Omni- means the only One! No 'smaller gods', no 'other', no context.
So, that might be a 'perfectly logical' explanation, but not for the question as presented.
Wayne92587
Favorite Philosopher: Hermese Trismegistus

Post by Wayne92587 »

"unto him all things are possible"
When did God say that??

When man speaks of the sacred knowledge, in fact when man speaks of any sacred knowledge it results in an Abomination, in Bull Crap.
Wayne92587

Post by Wayne92587 »

This is the same type of question as if there is a God why is there Evil.

God does not do Good and Evil nor does God create rocks.

God's Creation beginning with the Reality of First Cause is the cause of the system of Chaos from which all of the material World of Reality is Born.

Evil exists as a Material Reality only through the acts of Lucifer's Followers; Man is the purveyor of Evil, not God, God giving man the Freedom to do as he will.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Wayne92587 wrote: January 14th, 2018, 3:44 pmWhen man speaks of the sacred knowledge, in fact when man speaks of any sacred knowledge it results in an Abomination, in Bull Crap.
The once 'arcane' becomes the mundane.
Once arcane Knowledge became airplanes.
Etc.

Yes, as often happens in science, today's 'truths' often turn into obsolete nonsense.

Remember the 'arcane knowledge' in the Star Trek series involving a 'replicator? A '3-D printer'? It's already a relatively mundane appliance.
Once existing in fantasy/dream, 'condensing' into our everyday life.

Arcane Knowledge is based, to some extent, on experience.
The experience grows, is shared, and the arcane becomes mundane.
Wayne92587

Post by Wayne92587 »

True , experienced but only as a Reality, an Illlusion in the Mind.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Wayne92587 wrote: January 15th, 2018, 2:09 pm
True , experienced but only as a Reality, an Illlusion in the Mind.
All that is experienced; Universe/Reality/Truth... is an 'illusion of the Mind'!
What you are looking at is not what you are seeing! *__-

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream