Exsistence and afterlife

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Weight

Exsistence and afterlife

Post by Weight »

Both mental and physical reality both exist, they are inter dependent on each other. Just as thoughts can effect the physical world through action the physical can affect our mental state through other peoples actions or sickness or anything held by the senses. Our senses through our physical body's let us experience the physical world and give rise to our sense of self and consciousness. Self cannot be explained as one thing because it is many things that create a whole.
No matter what happens when you die you can know that you did exist at one point in time, and since death takes away our physical body's which would leave us in unconsciousness without our body's to experience life does something remain? If we did exist in the mental world at one point as well would that somehow carry on? Why or why not. Do we somehow survive our death but also not survive? Does our existence change for us after death or are we just deleted as people? And if we are deleted does being existent at some moment in time help us?
Tamminen

Re: Exsistence and afterlife

Post by Tamminen »

Weight wrote: February 21st, 2018, 2:09 pm And if we are deleted does being existent at some moment in time help us?
For me this is one of the most important philosophical problems if philosophy has something to do with our existence in the universe.

For the universe is my universe. It does not vanish when I die, but if I cease to exist, there is no universe, and has never been, for that would be the end of time, and the past is the past of the present.

So there is a paradox here, and the paradox cannot be resolved by saying that the universe is still there for the others, because the others are only others for me. This is the very definition of 'other'.

The logical conclusion seems to be that my death has nothing to do with my existence.

The universe of my yesterday is no more my universe, but the universe is still my universe, the universe of my present. In the same way when I am dead the dead person's universe is no more my universe, but the universe must still be my universe if it is the universe at all.

I have tried to solve this paradox by some metaphysical considerations elsewhere on this forum and I do not go into that now. But as you seem to have recognized the depth of this problem it would be interesting to receive some other suggestions for a solution from you and others.

To sum up: (1) do you see the problem? (2) what is your solution?
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

If I had to bet I'd say there is one reality we live in, not two.
Unknown means unknown.
Weight

Post by Weight »

Eduk wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 2:37 pm If I had to bet I'd say there is one reality we live in, not two.
Yes we do live in one realty, our mental experience. the physical world makes this happen through dependent arising but the main question I asked was if you exist in one point in time "the present" how does that correlate with our non existence. Because non existence cant be forever, life exists and if you were to compare non existence to not being conscious if you are unconscious for 1 second it would feel the same as a million years.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

I don't understand. If I have an apple and then eat it then I no longer have an apple. I don't have an infinity of no apples.
Unknown means unknown.
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

Weight wrote: February 21st, 2018, 2:09 pm Both mental and physical reality both exist, they are inter dependent on each other. Just as thoughts can effect the physical world through action the physical can affect our mental state through other peoples actions or sickness or anything held by the senses. Our senses through our physical body's let us experience the physical world and give rise to our sense of self and consciousness. Self cannot be explained as one thing because it is many things that create a whole.
No matter what happens when you die you can know that you did exist at one point in time, and since death takes away our physical body's which would leave us in unconsciousness without our body's to experience life does something remain? If we did exist in the mental world at one point as well would that somehow carry on? Why or why not. Do we somehow survive our death but also not survive? Does our existence change for us after death or are we just deleted as people? And if we are deleted does being existent at some moment in time help us?
My view is that life is cyclical.

Death is merely the closing of a circle. At death, awareness has nowhere else to go other than to the Beginning (conception).

And this view is based on the space-time paradigm. If every moment of time eternally exists, then you (from birth to death) also eternally exist. And your awareness cannot escape itself...
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Atreyu wrote: February 26th, 2018, 8:58 pm
Weight wrote: February 21st, 2018, 2:09 pm Both mental and physical reality both exist, they are inter dependent on each other. Just as thoughts can effect the physical world through action the physical can affect our mental state through other peoples actions or sickness or anything held by the senses. Our senses through our physical body's let us experience the physical world and give rise to our sense of self and consciousness. Self cannot be explained as one thing because it is many things that create a whole.
My view is that life is cyclical.

Death is merely the closing of a circle. At death, awareness has nowhere else to go other than to the Beginning (conception).

And this view is based on the space-time paradigm. If every moment of time eternally exists, then you (from birth to death) also eternally exist. And your awareness cannot escape itself...
Probability says that the new conception will not be "you", rather there will always be those who are more like you than they are like other people, simply by chance. The fact that there is no memory of these systemic and informational peers doesn't matter; we don't even remember most of our own childhood. The repetition is approximate but, then again, we ourselves are only approximate versions of who we once were.

Rather than reincarnate, the kinds of thoughts that we think and feelings we feel will instead approximately keen on happening via certain people in future generations, just as we ourselves have to some extent roughly reiterated the kinds of personal and character dynamics that have appeared from time to time in the past. No doubt, though, that some attributes are more or less common than others.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

Atreyu wrote: February 26th, 2018, 8:58 pm At death, awareness has nowhere else to go other than to the Beginning (conception).
I agree, but there are two possibilities: awareness can go back to my beginning or to another's beginning.
Atreyu

Post by Atreyu »

Tamminen wrote: February 27th, 2018, 3:56 am
Atreyu wrote: February 26th, 2018, 8:58 pm At death, awareness has nowhere else to go other than to the Beginning (conception).
I agree, but there are two possibilities: awareness can go back to my beginning or to another's beginning.
No, you are what you are. No one can become somebody else.

Otherwise we could become each other while alive.

It will be another life, but not another you.

There are no other yous....
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

Atreyu wrote: March 5th, 2018, 7:02 pm No, you are what you are. No one can become somebody else.

Otherwise we could become each other while alive.

It will be another life, but not another you.

There are no other yous....
I think death is forgetting. When I am dead, I do not remember who I was. I will be another. And I think Heracleitus was right: I cannot step twice into the same stream. There is only one Self that goes through all individual lives. But I cannot step into another's life when I am who I am, only afterwards.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Let's face it, we can generally barely remember last year, let alone our childhoods, and our infancy and gestation are a complete blank.

So, yes, what we remember is a proven unreliable guide as to what is. Personally, if I had prior lives it would have been nice to have been made aware of the lessons of previous lives. Remembering all the way back to microbial existence would be even more helpful. It would have saved everyone a lot of trouble and heartache if we could actually remember what it felt like to be simpler, more primitive animals of the earlier Earth and thus be able to appreciate exactly how much, or little, suffering was being meted out in the process of living.
Atreyu

Post by Atreyu »

Indeed, death is forgetting. You will have no memory whatever of anything that happened in this life, in your next life.

Nevertheless, it will be you living your next life. Not anyone else. And you will still be you. The big forces which created you will create you again. Your genetic code at birth will be virtually the exact same in the next 'cycle'. Nothing big, nothing caused by big forces (like the Sun, planets, Earth, or Moon) can be any different the next time around.

Only small incidental things, caused by incidental forces, could be different next time...
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

Atreyu wrote: March 13th, 2018, 6:37 pm Indeed, death is forgetting. You will have no memory whatever of anything that happened in this life, in your next life.

Nevertheless, it will be you living your next life. Not anyone else. And you will still be you. The big forces which created you will create you again. Your genetic code at birth will be virtually the exact same in the next 'cycle'. Nothing big, nothing caused by big forces (like the Sun, planets, Earth, or Moon) can be any different the next time around.

Only small incidental things, caused by incidental forces, could be different next time...
My subjective time is a series of presents or “nows” that constantly change their mode of being from present to past, as new presents replace them from the future. There must have been the first “now”, for if there had been a “now” before each “now”, I could not be here now: there could not be the “now” I am experiencing at present. There cannot be the last “now”, because this would mean that there would be non-being: if I did not exist, there would be nothing, which would be absurd and self-contradictory. So my subjective time has a beginning and no end. There is a parallel to this in cosmology, where the universe has started from zero, the singularity we know as the Big Bang, and will possibly expand with no end.

Now I have described my subjective time where my experiences of the world follow each other without an end. But are there other subjective times, times of others? I do not think so. For terms like 'subjective' and 'experience' denote 'my subjectivity' and 'my experiences'. If there were experiences that I never experience, it would be the same as saying that there is something which is not there. As I said, there can be experiences that are not here and now, being in the past or future, but they must nevertheless be experiences in relation to my present experience, so that I have had them in the past or will have them in the future. So the others' experiences must be in my past or in my future. This is the solution for the paradox of foreign minds.

And who is this 'I'? I am not only my body, my genetic code and my memories. I can be whatever body, whatever genetic code, whoever's memories. So I am something that transcends my personal identity: I am the transcendental subject that manifests itself as every individual subject in the cosmic space-time, each in its proper time. And because this flow of existence is endless, there are no loops in it: I cannot step twice into the same stream.

All right, this is metaphysical speculation like your scenario, but as your hypothesis solves only the paradox of death, my hypothesis solves also the paradox of foreign minds or foreign experiences, which I think is equally important.

And, as Hereandnow says, this is all beyond language and can only be seen in a phenomenological intuition. When we try to put it into words, we are in the middle of paradoxes in expressing our ideas. It all becomes sort of poetry. But let us read each others' poems.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Weight:
If we did exist in the mental world at one point as well would that somehow carry on?
We have never existed in a mental world. We are physical beings capable of mental activity. That activity has created what might be called a mental world, but the mental world is dependent upon the physical world. The mental world is carried on by physical beings via thoughts and beliefs transmitted in oral and written form, institutions, structures (buildings, roadways), technology, and ongoing practices.
Do we somehow survive our death but also not survive?
There is a great deal of speculation about such things, but it seems to me that it is fueled by an unwillingness to accept our mortality, our finitude, and a desire that there be something more in which we can find a meaning and purpose to our lives.
And if we are deleted does being existent at some moment in time help us?
Well, if I did not exist then there would be no me to be helped. When I no longer exist having existed can no longer help me. It may, however, be of benefit to others who do exist.
Because non existence cant be forever, life exists and if you were to compare non existence to not being conscious if you are unconscious for 1 second it would feel the same as a million years.
Why can't the non-existence of a person be forever? The fact that life exists says nothing about the existence of a particular person. If to be unconscious means without awareness then it does not feel like one second or a million years. It is the absence of feeling.

There are some who hold that consciousness is a fundamental property of the universe. Existence, the existence of consciousness, and the existence of life will be seen as one thing, two things, or three depending on one’s underlying assumptions.

Atreyu:
And this view is based on the space-time paradigm.
There are various space-time paradigms. We do not know which, if any of these models, adequately models reality. Physicists and philosophers will continue to argue about this for some time to come. Whether at some time in the future it is resolved is something we cannot now know.
If every moment of time eternally exists, then you (from birth to death) also eternally exist.
If there is birth and death then there is an arrow of time. We do not grow younger. If life is cyclical and every moment of time exists eternally then how do we make sense of a cycle based on the premise of what was and will be? What prevents you from living a former life? Are you claiming that you are at every moment living all your lives?
Indeed, death is forgetting.
Forgetting what? What happened? If every moment exists eternally then there is no past in which something happened, only what is happening.
Nevertheless, it will be you living your next life.
How can there be a next if every moment of time eternally exists. Next entails a future.
Your genetic code at birth will be virtually the exact same in the next 'cycle'.
It is well established that the human genome changes: www.nature.com/news/past-5-000-years-pr ... me-1.11912
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Atreyu wrote: March 13th, 2018, 6:37 pm Indeed, death is forgetting. You will have no memory whatever of anything that happened in this life, in your next life.

I like the poetry of it. Each orbit of a planet brings some change, sometimes massive, although usually not.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream