Logic limits us

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
jerlands

Re: Logic limits us

Post by jerlands »

Londoner wrote: February 25th, 2018, 6:03 am
jerlands wrote: February 24th, 2018, 5:42 pm
Does the mind have any connection with the senses? What you're saying implies it doesn't..

Again, it seems you're separating the mind from the senses? There is no physical state, either in meditation or an isolation chamber, that will separate us from our senses. Sense is simply duality, it's this compared with that. If we breath we are experiencing duality.
Not me.

The OP says: Everything we percive as real is created in our minds. If that was the case, then we do not have senses. We might think we sense external things but if Everything we percive as real is created in our minds we don't.

So my point is that when the OP goes on to speak of what is 'real' or 'true' these words are meaningless, because if 'everything' is created in our minds then there is no external standard to which we can compare particular thoughts.

We are left stuck in solipsism with no possibility of escape.
I read his post differently than you. I didn't see the mind separated from the body but rather that he was expressing the mind was the culmination of our experience?
Londoner wrote: February 25th, 2018, 6:03 am
Me: They would neither be right or wrong. They might be valid, meaning that we had applied the rules of whatever system we had adopted, but that would not give us a 'fact', it would not tell us anything about any 'reality'.

The notion of right and wrong.. Doesn't right imply 'moving in a straight line' and wrong 'crooked?' Logic is a straight line where we can get from point a to point b without deviation. The problem with logic defining a state is that things don't exist in logical sense but coexist in dimension with everything else. It's like logically expressing fire so that it's comprehensible without experience

Right or wrong as described in the OP

My question is whether there are more sets of logic where a paradox for example would be a completly rational conclusion or where 2+2=3;
Of course we see those to be wrong but they could as well be correct in their own set of rules making them true. We defined them to be wrong, not show they are wrong.

Logic does not move us in a straight line, if that implies we end up somewhere different from where we started. Rather, it prevents us from wandering. It does not allow us to make unstated assumptions.

Like the examples in the OP, it is tautological. It only allows you to put what you started with in a different way. It doesn't tell you that what you started with, or end with, is 'true' in that it corresponds to a 'state'. Nothing 'exists in a logical sense', logic doesn't relate to existence at all.
I think my point was that using logic to define a dimensional state is incomplete. Does logic relate to existence at all? Theorists employ logic in an attempt to define existence but in my view it will not be complete without understanding the cause. Logic does however seem to prevent us from wandering as long as we have an objective. I guess I really don't understand what you're saying though?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

jerlands wrote: February 25th, 2018, 7:44 am I read his post differently than you. I didn't see the mind separated from the body but rather that he was expressing the mind was the culmination of our experience?
Yes, it could be. But it needs clarifying.
I think my point was that using logic to define a dimensional state is incomplete. Does logic relate to existence at all? Theorists employ logic in an attempt to define existence but in my view it will not be complete without understanding the cause. Logic does however seem to prevent us from wandering as long as we have an objective. I guess I really don't understand what you're saying though?
I do not think logic, understood strictly, can have anything to do with existence.

Logic is like numbers in a sum; the numbers don't mean anything. They can be positive or negative, but that isn't the equivalent of true/false, real/not-real. To write 'minus 3' isn't saying 'three is not true' or '3 doesn't exist'.

If we think of '3' as standing for something, as describing something that 'exists', then we can no longer do sums. An apple and an orange and a piano do not make a '3'. They remain separate things. We can only add them if we no longer think of them as 'things' but only as a pure abstraction '1'. Then we can say '1+1+1=3'. And if we were asked why '1+1+1=3', our reply would be that '3' means (amongst other things) '1+1+1'.

In other words, logic is a completely closed and formal system. It cannot describe objects of perception. We might illustrate logic using ordinary language ('If Socrates is a man...') but that is not really a claim that Socrates existed, because the same argument would be valid - in logic - whatever words you used (If Socrates is a horse...) or if we only used symbols that didn't stand for anything in particular.

I do not think the OP can have meant 'logic' in this strict sense, but I cannot tell what they did intend.
jerlands

Post by jerlands »

Londoner wrote: February 25th, 2018, 12:52 pm
I do not think logic, understood strictly, can have anything to do with existence.
The fact is logic exists and therefore can express an element of existence.
Londoner wrote: February 25th, 2018, 12:52 pm Logic is like numbers in a sum; the numbers don't mean anything. They can be positive or negative, but that isn't the equivalent of true/false, real/not-real. To write 'minus 3' isn't saying 'three is not true' or '3 doesn't exist'.
Numbers are actually just notions so they do have meaning all by themselves. One (1) relays a notion. Negativity is the same, it relays a notion by itself and -3 by itself also relays a notion. The problem is taking something out of context and trying to make sense of it.
Londoner wrote: February 25th, 2018, 12:52 pm If we think of '3' as standing for something, as describing something that 'exists', then we can no longer do sums. An apple and an orange and a piano do not make a '3'. They remain separate things. We can only add them if we no longer think of them as 'things' but only as a pure abstraction '1'. Then we can say '1+1+1=3'. And if we were asked why '1+1+1=3', our reply would be that '3' means (amongst other things) '1+1+1'.
If you have an empty room and put into it a chair, a lamp and a table what does your mind tell you? Then you put an orange on top of the table and what do you see?
Londoner wrote: February 25th, 2018, 12:52 pm In other words, logic is a completely closed and formal system. It cannot describe objects of perception. We might illustrate logic using ordinary language ('If Socrates is a man...') but that is not really a claim that Socrates existed, because the same argument would be valid - in logic - whatever words you used (If Socrates is a horse...) or if we only used symbols that didn't stand for anything in particular.

I do not think the OP can have meant 'logic' in this strict sense, but I cannot tell what they did intend.
I think the OP may have been hinting at the possibility of perceiving something outside our realm of reality and making rational sense of it. But that's hard to say 'cause he started this fire but hasn't been around to tend to it.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

ApplicationBot wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 1:58 pm Everything we percive as real is created in our minds.
We create our reality based on facts, ideas and senses but the ultimate reality for us is what our mind logically creates.
... Finally, given that everything above is true,...
You take so much for granted!

"Everything above" is both true and false, depending on the Perspective.

Truth!, on the other hand, is ALL inclusive! Even of the component dualities.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

jerlands wrote: February 25th, 2018, 5:31 pm
I do not understand what the claim that 'logic exists' could mean. Suppose I disagreed; what sort of evidence could we produce that would settle the question?
Numbers are actually just notions so they do have meaning all by themselves. One (1) relays a notion. Negativity is the same, it relays a notion by itself and -3 by itself also relays a notion. The problem is taking something out of context and trying to make sense of it.
They do not 'mean' anything in the sense of referring to any object, or sensation. '3' doesn't mean 'three oranges' or 'I hear three sounds'. I do not understand what calling numbers 'notions' implies.
If you have an empty room and put into it a chair, a lamp and a table what does your mind tell you? Then you put an orange on top of the table and what do you see?
I do not see any number. I do not think the orange has the attribute '4' because it is the fourth object, or that if you removed the chair the orange changes into being a '3'. The orange remains the same to my senses no matter how many objects there are in the room.

I can only count these things if I stop thinking of them as chairs, oranges etc. and abstract them into 'objects', so that they are all homogeneous, i.e. if I ignore the way they are presented to my senses.
I think the OP may have been hinting at the possibility of perceiving something outside our realm of reality and making rational sense of it. But that's hard to say 'cause he started this fire but hasn't been around to tend to it

Quite!
jerlands

Post by jerlands »

Londoner wrote: February 26th, 2018, 5:12 am
jerlands wrote: February 25th, 2018, 5:31 pm
I do not understand what the claim that 'logic exists' could mean. Suppose I disagreed; what sort of evidence could we produce that would settle the question?
I think therefore I am. Logic is defined as reason and reason is the act of holding one thing in relation to another (ratio.) How this function arose in the human being is a discussion unto itself.
They do not 'mean' anything in the sense of referring to any object, or sensation. '3' doesn't mean 'three oranges' or 'I hear three sounds'. I do not understand what calling numbers 'notions' implies.
Much of western civilizations learning and thought about number came from Greece. Greece however was taught in Egypt which is where a lot of our philosophical perspective of number originates. Ancient thought of number was that it represented becoming, order, function and structure. The notion of what we refer to as Zero (0) was something like inactive fullness, One (1) something like awakening, origin, completeness, activeness. Number is really an abstract idea (metaphysical) but is manifest in everything.
I do not see any number. I do not think the orange has the attribute '4' because it is the fourth object, or that if you removed the chair the orange changes into being a '3'. The orange remains the same to my senses no matter how many objects there are in the room.

I can only count these things if I stop thinking of them as chairs, oranges etc. and abstract them into 'objects', so that they are all homogeneous, i.e. if I ignore the way they are presented to my senses.
The duke lemur center conducted a study on primates ability to recognize quantity. Basically they showed how quantity is recognized no matter the shape, size, color or type of object placed within the study confines. The mind always perceives quantity but our thought translates that to number.
I think the OP may have been hinting at the possibility of perceiving something outside our realm of reality and making rational sense of it. But that's hard to say 'cause he started this fire but hasn't been around to tend to it

Quite!
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

jerlands wrote: February 26th, 2018, 5:08 pm Logic is defined as reason and reason is the act of holding one thing in relation to another (ratio.)
THAT is 'duality'; the fragmentation of that which is One, that It might be Known!!!
jerlands

Post by jerlands »

Namelesss wrote: February 26th, 2018, 10:42 pm
jerlands wrote: February 26th, 2018, 5:08 pm Logic is defined as reason and reason is the act of holding one thing in relation to another (ratio.)
THAT is 'duality'; the fragmentation of that which is One, that It might be Known!!!
I thought you didn't recognise duality? Just oneness... no motion, no separation of state, all an illusion but the one?
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

jerlands wrote: February 26th, 2018, 10:59 pm
Namelesss wrote: February 26th, 2018, 10:42 pm
I thought you didn't recognise duality? Just oneness... no motion, no separation of state, all an illusion but the one?
As I said, the only way that Self/God can be Known is by duality. Duality is thought, it differentiates this from that.
Thought/duality provides 'context'.
God... has no context and, thus, cannot be Known, not even by OurSelf!
So the 'artificial imposition' of the 'duality grid' enables God's Self Knowledge!
It is this moment of thought/duality that is God's moment of complete Self Knowledge/Epiphany!
Talk about a 'Big Bang!'! *__-
(Right, it's not like they think! Not anything 'material/physical' about it!)
jerlands

Post by jerlands »

Namelesss wrote: February 26th, 2018, 11:24 pm As I said, the only way that Self/God can be Known is by duality.
I don't understand this ratio of Self with "God" so if you could spell that out for me?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Richard Feynman had some useful thoughts on the application of scientific logic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkhBcLk_8f0

Jer, it's not a ratio above but a slash - God and/or Self. Basically it's a pantheistic view: since all is God then each "Self" is an expression of God.
jerlands

Post by jerlands »

Greta wrote: February 26th, 2018, 11:33 pm Richard Feynman had some useful thoughts on the application of scientific logic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkhBcLk_8f0

Jer, it's not a ratio above but a slash - God and/or Self. Basically it's a pantheistic view: since all is God then each "Self" is an expression of God.
And you also read minds :P

I don't think that's what he's saying.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Are we putting money on it? :lol:

Kidding. I don't gamble.
jerlands

Post by jerlands »

Greta wrote: February 26th, 2018, 11:42 pm Are we putting money on it? :lol:
Kidding. I don't gamble.
I'll explain... a ratio is a relation which he put self and "God" into and I just wanted clarification.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

jerlands wrote: February 26th, 2018, 11:32 pm
Namelesss wrote: February 26th, 2018, 11:24 pm As I said, the only way that Self/God can be Known is by duality.
I don't understand this ratio of Self with "God" so if you could spell that out for me?
This is the mystical experience/Knowledge, throughout history.
Logically, if God is Omni-, then not anything can exist that is not God.
Thus it is fair dinkum to see God in all and everything, and that includes you and I (whatever 'we' are)!

"God cannot know himself without me." - Meister Eckhart (Christian mystic)

"The eye by which I see God is the same as the eye by which God sees me. My eye and God's eye are one and the same." - Meister Eckhart

"All things are simply God to thee who seest only God in all things. Like one who looks long at the sun, he encounters the sun in whatever he afterwards looks at. If this is lacking, this looking for and seeing God in all and sundry, then thou lackest this birth." - Meister Eckhart

"What a man loves, he is. If he loves a stone he is that stone, if he loves a person he is that person, if he loves God - nay, I durst not say more; were I to say, he is God, he might stone me. I do but teach you the scriptures." - Meister Eckhart

There is no 'distinction/difference' between the Omni-God and anything perceived!

I understand that I have offered these quotes before, but we are always seeing with unique eyes.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream