An Argument against Substance Dualism

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Mosesquine

An Argument against Substance Dualism

Post by Mosesquine »

I am going to offer an argument against substance dualism. Substance dualism is the view that there are fundamentally two kinds of substances of entities: soul and body. Descartes' version of substance dualism defines them as follows:

Soul = Soul is non-spatio-temporal, and it is directly related to thought.

Body = Body is spatio-temporal, and it is characteristically extended in spatio-temporal realms.

I think that Descartes' version of substance dualism is flawed. According to Descartes, soul and body are two distinct substances. It's because body is always located in space-time points anyway, but soul is always not located in space-time points at all. I think that all causal processes nomically occur in space-time points. I also think that all interactions of anything are happening in space and time. According to Descartes' version of substance dualism, soul is not located in space-time points, so soul cannot interact with body causally! The argument is formulated more structurally as follows:

(1) All causal processes (i.e. processes of causes and effects) occur in space-time points.
(2) All interactions occur in space-time points.
(3) No soul occurs in space-time points (by the definition of Descartes' version of substance dualism).
Therefore, (4) No soul is in a causal process.
Therefore, (5) No soul is in an interaction.

We know that our mental activities interact with our body performances. This follows that Descartes' version of substance-dualistic-assumption that soul is non-spatio-temporal and body is spatio-temporal is false.
Frost

Re: An Argument against Substance Dualism

Post by Frost »

I think there are a couple fundamental issues with this argument.

What is a causal process? What are the mechanisms? How does anything occur at all?

What is the nature of spacetime? Is it emergent?

What I'm getting at is that there is a good argument that the non-physical is critically linked with the physical that allows for such an interaction.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

There may be various definitions of substance. This is Spinoza's definition in Ethics:
By substance, I mean that which is in itself, and is conceived through itself: in other words, that of which a conception can be formed independently of any other conception.
According to this definition neither matter nor mind can be substance, because they are interdependent. The concrete reality is the subject-object relation. Spinoza says that mind and body are attributes of one and the same substance which he calls Nature or God, and the body is the object of the mind.

When I see a tree, physical causality goes from the tree to my brain with photons hitting my retina and so on. This chain of events is expressed as my perception of the tree. If this is called causation is a matter of definition, but it is not physical causation. The same applies when I do something because I want to do it.

But the point is that my perception of a tree is not located in physical spacetime, not even in my brain. It is part of my subjective world and subjective time where I am conscious of the physical world.
Frost

Post by Frost »

Tamminen wrote: March 11th, 2018, 5:41 pm There may be various definitions of substance. This is Spinoza's definition in Ethics:
By substance, I mean that which is in itself, and is conceived through itself: in other words, that of which a conception can be formed independently of any other conception.
According to this definition neither matter nor mind can be substance, because they are interdependent. The concrete reality is the subject-object relation. Spinoza says that mind and body are attributes of one and the same substance which he calls Nature or God, and the body is the object of the mind.

When I see a tree, physical causality goes from the tree to my brain with photons hitting my retina and so on. This chain of events is expressed as my perception of the tree. If this is called causation is a matter of definition, but it is not physical causation. The same applies when I do something because I want to do it.

But the point is that my perception of a tree is not located in physical spacetime, not even in my brain. It is part of my subjective world and subjective time where I am conscious of the physical world.
In your description, you described the perceptual process. But what does it mean for a photon to cause something? You said it is not physical causation, so what is it? Doesn't a photon have to have a cause in order for it to be omitted? And doesn't the absorption in the rental cells cause other physical effects?
Duckrabbit

Post by Duckrabbit »

Mind/Body. Where exactly is the problem?

I have things. I have opinions. I have toes. I have a pet pig. I have patience. I have time. I have a watch. I have a body. I have a mind.

Our language - our use of words ("have", "thing", "facts") - tricks us into thinking we have a metaphysical problem here. My body can be seen; my mind cannot. My toes can be seen; my opinions cannot (necessarily). But aren't all these things? We are free to call them all things. There is a convention of our language that allows us to do so. But then we give up our freedom and allow the language, the word use, the grammar, to oppress us, to gain supremacy, control. What kind of things, we ask, are things that cannot be seen or observed with bodily senses? Much head-scratching has ensued over millennia. There must be two separate (perhaps equal) kinds of things. Then a move is made that is crucial though its importance seems mostly overlooked. We replace "thing" with "substance".

We speak of the substance of, e.g., an argument. But most would be willing to accept this as a metaphorical use of "substance". Why do we not want to look at speaking of mental or spiritual substances as also metaphorical? No, it is insisted, they are just as real as physical substances. So we are rather desperate to find something about non-physical substance that is as solid (so to speak) as physicality, since, we have concluded, they are just as real. Hence, materialism and physicalism and ghosts.

Are physical objects all there are? Look at the question. What is it asking? There are lots of things. There are pigs, opinions, toes, anxieties, terms of art, trees, people, questions and words, words, words. They all are. They all exist. But this a matter of how we speak, not of perplexing metaphysical mysteries. There is only a mind/body problem because philosophers insist on it. Then they can argue with one another over solutions to it.

I think that religion has played a major role in promoting this controversy. Not only is the mind/spirit/soul a thing/substance, it is an eternal substance. Why do we suppose it is eternal? Well, it's not a body, something made of matter; therefore it does not need to deteriorate/rot/die. (Importantly, it is, at least in Christianity, the individual, personal, soul which is most important and most worthy of fretting over).

My personal joy cannot be seen by someone observing my brain. Not because they are separate but equal things, mutually inaccessible to each other, but because my joy and my brain are no more related than my time and my watch. Joy is not reducible to activity in the brain. But not because it dwells in an invisible, mysterious realm not accessible to others. My joy is not equivalent to, say, my foot. It is no more equivalent than, say, my circumspection, or may aquisitiveness. These are concepts formed by the convention of turning activity into nouns. As in : people are laughing; there is laughter. I think; there is thinking, i.e., I have a mind. I don't think anyone would call laughter a substance. Why give that honor to mind?
Frost

Post by Frost »

Duckrabbit wrote: March 11th, 2018, 9:47 pm Mind/Body. Where exactly is the problem?

I have things. I have opinions. I have toes. I have a pet pig. I have patience. I have time. I have a watch. I have a body. I have a mind.

Our language - our use of words ("have", "thing", "facts") - tricks us into thinking we have a metaphysical problem here. My body can be seen; my mind cannot. My toes can be seen; my opinions cannot (necessarily). But aren't all these things? We are free to call them all things. There is a convention of our language that allows us to do so. But then we give up our freedom and allow the language, the word use, the grammar, to oppress us, to gain supremacy, control. What kind of things, we ask, are things that cannot be seen or observed with bodily senses? Much head-scratching has ensued over millennia. There must be two separate (perhaps equal) kinds of things. Then a move is made that is crucial though its importance seems mostly overlooked. We replace "thing" with "substance".

We speak of the substance of, e.g., an argument. But most would be willing to accept this as a metaphorical use of "substance". Why do we not want to look at speaking of mental or spiritual substances as also metaphorical? No, it is insisted, they are just as real as physical substances. So we are rather desperate to find something about non-physical substance that is as solid (so to speak) as physicality, since, we have concluded, they are just as real. Hence, materialism and physicalism and ghosts.

Are physical objects all there are? Look at the question. What is it asking? There are lots of things. There are pigs, opinions, toes, anxieties, terms of art, trees, people, questions and words, words, words. They all are. They all exist. But this a matter of how we speak, not of perplexing metaphysical mysteries. There is only a mind/body problem because philosophers insist on it. Then they can argue with one another over solutions to it.

I think that religion has played a major role in promoting this controversy. Not only is the mind/spirit/soul a thing/substance, it is an eternal substance. Why do we suppose it is eternal? Well, it's not a body, something made of matter; therefore it does not need to deteriorate/rot/die. (Importantly, it is, at least in Christianity, the individual, personal, soul which is most important and most worthy of fretting over).

My personal joy cannot be seen by someone observing my brain. Not because they are separate but equal things, mutually inaccessible to each other, but because my joy and my brain are no more related than my time and my watch. Joy is not reducible to activity in the brain. But not because it dwells in an invisible, mysterious realm not accessible to others. My joy is not equivalent to, say, my foot. It is no more equivalent than, say, my circumspection, or may aquisitiveness. These are concepts formed by the convention of turning activity into nouns. As in : people are laughing; there is laughter. I think; there is thinking, i.e., I have a mind. I don't think anyone would call laughter a substance. Why give that honor to mind?
While I am sympathetic to your position, there is empirical evidence that does indicate the ontological reality of a mind-matter type of dualism and interaction:

Radin, D., Michel, L., Galdamex, K., Wendland, P., Rickenbach, R., & Delorme, A. (2012). "Consciousness and the double-slit interference pattern: Six experiments." Physics Essays, 25(2), 157-171.

Radin, D., Michel, L., Johnston, J., & Delorme, A. (2013) "Psychophysical interactions with a double-slit interference pattern." Physic Essays, 26(4), 553-566.

Radin, D., Michel, L., & Delorme, A. (2016) "Psychophysical modulation of fringe visibility in a distant double-slit optical system." Physics Essays, 29(1), 14-22.

All of these papers are published in a mainstream peer-reviewed physics journal and indicate that the mind can non-locally impact physical systems. These data also align with the research published in parapsychology journals that are also peer-reviewed. Evidence of psychokinesis is certainly indicative that there is a mind-matter interaction that we are unaware of the mechanisms, although I suspect it is intimately related to how Intentional causation operates in our moving our bodies.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

Frost wrote: March 11th, 2018, 6:23 pm In your description, you described the perceptual process. But what does it mean for a photon to cause something? You said it is not physical causation, so what is it? Doesn't a photon have to have a cause in order for it to be omitted? And doesn't the absorption in the rental cells cause other physical effects?
What I meant was that physical causation happens within the physical world: tree, photons, retina, brain. My perception is not really caused by these in the physical sense of the term, but goes parallel with them, being an expression of them. My perception is not conceptually compatible with the physical events that "cause" them in another meaning of the term. And therefore there cannot be a mechanism that would connect them. The physical events are the necessary material conditions for the perception. And I agree with Duckrabbit: the "mind/body" problem is a pseudo problem. My view is that it is caused by unjustified commitment to materialistic ontology.
Duckrabbit wrote: March 11th, 2018, 9:47 pm My personal joy cannot be seen by someone observing my brain. Not because they are separate but equal things, mutually inaccessible to each other, but because my joy and my brain are no more related than my time and my watch. Joy is not reducible to activity in the brain.
Joy is not reducible to brain activities, but there are correlations between them, so they are related in a non-physical way. Joy cannot be totally independent of brain events.
Frost

Post by Frost »

Tamminen wrote: March 12th, 2018, 5:45 am What I meant was that physical causation happens within the physical world: tree, photons, retina, brain. My perception is not really caused by these in the physical sense of the term, but goes parallel with them, being an expression of them. My perception is not conceptually compatible with the physical events that "cause" them in another meaning of the term. And therefore there cannot be a mechanism that would connect them. The physical events are the necessary material conditions for the perception. And I agree with Duckrabbit: the "mind/body" problem is a pseudo problem. My view is that it is caused by unjustified commitment to materialistic ontology.
What is physical causation, precisely? It must cause perception or else how would it occur? Why cannot there be a mechanism which links them? The orthodox quantum formalism provides an explicit psycho-physical interaction, so this seems to indicate that there be a causal relation between the physical and the experiential.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

Frost wrote: March 12th, 2018, 3:01 pm What is physical causation, precisely? It must cause perception or else how would it occur? Why cannot there be a mechanism which links them? The orthodox quantum formalism provides an explicit psycho-physical interaction, so this seems to indicate that there be a causal relation between the physical and the experiential.
I think that quantum mechanics describes only physical phenomena, despite its indeterminism and dependence on the measuring apparatus.

My being in the world means that I am related to the material universe by being conscious of it. The subjective side of this relation is my consciousness or mind, and its objective side is my body. But the relation is one and the same, only seen from two perspectives. So the relation is not one of causation but identity, only seen from two conceptually incompatible points of view. When photons hit my retina, they cause something to happen in my body, and I experience this effect as seeing a tree, for instance. So there is no link, no bridge, between body and mind. The subject-object relation is fundamental. This is how I see the situation.
Frost

Post by Frost »

Tamminen wrote: March 12th, 2018, 5:50 pm I think that quantum mechanics describes only physical phenomena, despite its indeterminism and dependence on the measuring apparatus.
The orthodox formalization describes the dynamics of a conscious choice and a response from nature. In other words, the conscious choice enters the dynamics of the physical world; conscious thought can result in physical effects not determined by the laws of physics.
Tamminen wrote: March 12th, 2018, 5:50 pm My being in the world means that I am related to the material universe by being conscious of it. The subjective side of this relation is my consciousness or mind, and its objective side is my body. But the relation is one and the same, only seen from two perspectives. So the relation is not one of causation but identity, only seen from two conceptually incompatible points of view. When photons hit my retina, they cause something to happen in my body, and I experience this effect as seeing a tree, for instance. So there is no link, no bridge, between body and mind. The subject-object relation is fundamental. This is how I see the situation.
How does that awareness arise? What makes a physical system have an internal awareness?

Does the world exist prior to awareness of an organism? Does it have an absolute independence from the awareness? If so, how could conscious thought enter the dynamics of the physical world as in orthodox quantum theory?
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Mosesquine wrote: March 11th, 2018, 7:57 am I am going to offer an argument against substance dualism. Substance dualism is the view that there are fundamentally two kinds of substances of entities: soul and body.
Easy to do.
Usually it is called 'mind - body' dualism ("hard problem" for Chalmers).
The reason that it is a 'hard problem' is the ignorance of those who don't know that;
All that exists, whether rocks or the sun or thoughts or dreams... is ALL comprised of PERCEIVED information waves, quantum wave field, "undifferentiated potential" (Bindu).
So, essentially, thoughts/mind' is no different than rocks or the moon!
Being confused by the duality of the mind, believing it, is a huge error.
That is why any real philosopher is also up on the cutting edge (and further) of science (QM)!
There is neither 'substance', nor is there 'dualism', other than as appearance, only! Some fall for appearances...

Schizophrenia is the (dualistic) fragmentation of that which is One! *__-
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

Frost wrote: March 12th, 2018, 6:28 pm The orthodox formalization describes the dynamics of a conscious choice and a response from nature. In other words, the conscious choice enters the dynamics of the physical world; conscious thought can result in physical effects not determined by the laws of physics.
It is an interesting question whether quantum mechanics has something to do with the fact that our decisions and doings go parallel with and in this sense have an effect on the material world. I have not a clear answer to this. But I think the physical effects cannot happen against the laws of physics.
How does that awareness arise? What makes a physical system have an internal awareness?

Does the world exist prior to awareness of an organism? Does it have an absolute independence from the awareness? If so, how could conscious thought enter the dynamics of the physical world as in orthodox quantum theory?
As I said, the subject-object relation is fundamental, and both sides are equally original ontologically, though not in physical spacetime. So awareness does not arise from matter, it only needs matter for its basis of being. Therefore I do not ask what makes a physical system have an internal awareness, but what must the physical system be like in order for me to be conscious of it. This is my version of the mind/body problem.
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

I agree with the OP's reasoning.

However, Descartes is really trying to define the 'psyche' or 'mind', not the 'soul'. Too often the word 'soul' is thrown out as another term for mind/psyche/awareness, when in reality it was historically defined differently.
BigBango

Post by BigBango »

Just don’t forget that the absence of evidence of a connection between known objects and hypothesized stuff of a different nature is not evidence of the absence of any connections between the physical and mental.
BigBango

Post by BigBango »

Don’t forget that the absence of evidence of any connections between known objects and hypothesized more mental substance is not evidence that no connections could exist.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream