Questions about Hegel

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Tosen
New Trial Member

Questions about Hegel

Post by Tosen » April 1st, 2018, 1:34 am

First of all, Hegel has accumulated quite a bad reputation for being really obscure, especially with analytical philosophers. Could someone summarize and explain the contributions of Hegel in philosophy? Including his logic, his postulation on absolute idealism, his overall view of epistemology and metaphysics, etc. I just want to have a solid foundation before analyzing his philosophy, especially his metaphysical/epistemological propositions. And if someone has a book or any reading material that can furnish my knowledge, name them with no hesitation. Also, if you use Hegelian terminology please clarify them thoroughly. Including the explanation of any concept as well, make due clarifications on definitions if necessary. Thank you and I appreciate your help!

Fooloso4

Re: Questions about Hegel

Post by Fooloso4 » April 1st, 2018, 2:29 pm

Tosen:
Could someone summarize and explain the contributions of Hegel in philosophy?
I cannot address the specifics of your questions but I think Hegel’s biggest contribution is that history is essential to thinking. He traces the movement from objectivity to subjectivity to the fixed structure of the subjective human mind to the movement of thought working its way to the completion of the circle through his own thinking, unifying thinking and being.

As to general resources, the usuals: Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy and Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

anonymous66

Re: Questions about Hegel

Post by anonymous66 » May 25th, 2018, 8:29 am

I've been reading Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit, but I'm only on the first chapter. I'm also using this as a guide. And this glossary of terms has been helpful.

If you want to understand Hegel, you'll probably just have to just dive in and start reading.