Did the universe exist for ever or does it have a beginning?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Re: Did the universe exist for ever or does it have a beginning?

Post by Eduk »

As I understand it mirrors aren't perfectly reflective? Do you have a source Wayne? Would be interested to read more.
Unknown means unknown.
Wayne92587
Favorite Philosopher: Hermese Trismegistus

Post by Wayne92587 »

Euk;

My only source if the fact that I have done it, some twenty yeas ago.

In my kitchen, dinning room and live room there are five large windows.
As I stood at the corner of the kitchen and dinning room, I noticed that there were multiple reflections of the same image in one of the window.

I experimented with eight mirrors forming the octagon and multiple images of the same Reality appeared in a Single mirror.

The Important symbols of the World are an abomination of the Secret code of the universe, The Lost Symbol, that of
a perfect square that has no corners. a corner being a 90 degree angle, all the crosses, the Swastika, all monoliths, megaliths, Pyramids, the circle and of course the Octagon, the Ark of the Covenant, Noah's Ark, the Megalith, the monolith.

A rectangle is a square, a perfect square having four equal sides.

You can turn a "perfect square into circle by drawing a perfect square not having any corners.

If you are will to spend the money to buy the mirrors and it does not work I will refund your money.

I can not lose, it works!
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

oh. I wonder, where do you get this confidence?
For example if I play football and I try to control a ball, mistime it slightly, then am beaten to the ball by a quicker friend (who is not a professional) who then runs around me (easily), plays a one two and scores. I kind of think to myself, after it happens multiple times, that I'm not actually that good at football. If I was divide all men (of my age) into three groups I would be the top of the worst group or the worst of the middle group.
I guess I'm saying I use reality as a tool to judge performance. I've never played American Football, I am 100% sure I would not make it as a professional and I would also guess that I would be in the middle of group 3 (the worst group). If I trained I could maybe do better and move into group 2, I will never ever be in group 1 (it's far too late).
I guess what I'm really saying is that I don't understand why someone would think they know about something, which they clearly know nothing about.
I assume you realise this, so in effect me taking you at face value is just dumb on my part. I'm ok with that day to day, it's just I hoped you knew something I didn't.
Unknown means unknown.
Wayne92587

Post by Wayne92587 »

Eduk;
it's just I hoped you knew something I didn't.
Perhaps I do.

Make your question more clear.

The Sun is the light unto the World, The World of Reality as seen in the Light of Day.

There is more to Sun Worship, the Sun God than meets the Eye, thine Single Eye, the Mirror of your MInd.
Notice the capital M in Mind. Meaning that mind is a proper noun, the name of a person, place or thing.

The World is screwed up because of Metaphors, Language being just so much Babble, hog wash, being Blasphemous..
The Plight of Women is the result of Woman being used as a metaphor, Woman a metaphor taking on many of the characteristics of that which the word Woman is the metaphor for.

Woman, Spirituality, irrationality, having no substance, not a maternity, having no material worth, being born of Air, having no relative, numerical value, having a numerical value of Zero-0, Nada, Nothing, Zip, Zilch, Nothingness.

There is a substance in the Universe that has no substance, no Mass, "Pure Unadulterated Energy", existing without cause.

Woman are not bound to the Material World of Reality, are Flighty, Ambiguous, Free do as they Will.
Wayne92587

Post by Wayne92587 »

Eduk; what do you know about polishing your mystic mirror, the mirror of your mind, your sixth sense, Thine Single, thine Third, Evil, Eye.

Why do you think that some kill female babies, when first born.
k
Wayne92587

Post by Wayne92587 »

The Right Winger and the Left Winger.

Some men fear Women, the Fundamentalist Male Muslim being a Male Chauvinistic Pig,

A woman can turn a man into a beast, a Pig.

why do many not eat pork. your become what you eat are vegetarians? not the Masculine Man.
Wayne92587

Post by Wayne92587 »

I wonder, where do you get this confidence?

Confidence about what?

be specific so I can answer your question.
Wayne92587

Post by Wayne92587 »

. I wonder, where do you get this confidence?
From experience.
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

The correct (most objective) answer is both. It has a Beginning and an Ending, but strangely enough the distance between them is infinity (as we measure and experience time).

Usually, time is mapped as a line, so I'll use a line as an example.

An infinite Universe, with no beginning or end, would be diagrammed like this: <--------------------------->

A finite Universe would be diagrammed like this: .-----------------------------.

The actual Universe is both. From the POV of the Universe Itself, or if we could imagine ourselves stepping outside the Universe and viewing it as an outsider, it would be a line segment, with a beginning and end point. I would call this the 'Objective' view.

From the POV of a being existing inside the Universe, the time of the Universe would be mapped as a ray, as in the first example above. And that is exactly how the Universe is from the POV of an internal observer - infinite, with no beginning or ending. I might call this the 'Subjective' view.

So while the Universe does indeed have a beginning and ending, from our POV ('our time') it's infinite. The Beginning and Ending do exist, but they are an infinite distance away from the present in terms of time.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Wayne92587 wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 1:54 pm The Right Winger and the Left Winger.

Some men fear Women, the Fundamentalist Male Muslim being a Male Chauvinistic Pig,

A woman can turn a man into a beast, a Pig.

why do many not eat pork. your become what you eat are vegetarians? not the Masculine Man.
Yes, it's much better to eat bovine females, female fowl, pigs and other prey animals. That's the masculine man today. Feminine grazers who will eat anything while squawking.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Kaprel, I think Wayne was referring not to the absurd notion of masculine display behaviour via plastic wrapped pieces of animal carcass so much as metaphorical cannibalism. That is, he is saying that extreme patriarchs recognise themselves in pigs and thus eschew their meat.

I disagree, though, because domesticated pigs display an affectionate, if testing, disposition. I suppose the issue is not species but "domestication" - poorly domesticated humans.

Re: the topic - there was apparently a state change in the universe, or our part of the universe, about 14b years ago. The situation before that time is even more hazy.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Greta wrote: May 4th, 2018, 7:02 pm Kaprel, I think Wayne was referring not to the absurd notion of masculine display behaviour via plastic wrapped pieces of animal carcass so much as metaphorical cannibalism. That is, he is saying that extreme patriarchs recognise themselves in pigs and thus eschew their meat.
OK. I thought he was saying vegetarians were not masculine, but that meat eaters were. I did find his post confusing, but I couldn't resist parodying it, now apparantly too hastily.

Patriarchs should eschew lion meat. Male lion meet that is, on those grounds of self-recognition.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Karpel Tunnel wrote: May 5th, 2018, 12:45 am
Greta wrote: May 4th, 2018, 7:02 pmKaprel, I think Wayne was referring not to the absurd notion of masculine display behaviour via plastic wrapped pieces of animal carcass so much as metaphorical cannibalism. That is, he is saying that extreme patriarchs recognise themselves in pigs and thus eschew their meat.
OK. I thought he was saying vegetarians were not masculine, but that meat eaters were. I did find his post confusing, but I couldn't resist parodying it, now apparantly too hastily.

Patriarchs should eschew lion meat. Male lion meet that is, on those grounds of self-recognition.
It was a tricky one, much trickier than spelling your name correctly :)
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

syednoorhussain wrote: April 15th, 2018, 1:54 pm . Can anyone point to philosophers who discussed these issues. Thanks
There is another way to look at this. Since the existence of the universe includes time itself, it is not possible to say that there was a beginning since there was no time before the universe existed.
In a sense both are true. The universe had a beginning AND has lasted for all time. In other words the universe has existed for ever.
Wayne92587

Post by Wayne92587 »

Time, Space and Motion each existed as Zero-0 Point Singularities prior to the Creation of the Reality of First Cause.
The zero-hour existing before Time became Realitive.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream