Whatever Consciousness is, it's Not Physical (or reducible to physical).

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
ThomasHobbes

Re: Whatever Consciousness is, it's Not Physical (or reducible to physical).

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Karpel Tunnel wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 7:08 am
ThomasHobbes wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 5:38 am

It's an empty question. A bit silly.
"Mass" is a property of matter just like consciousness is a property of matter.
Mass is a property of some matter, but not all matter. It is not a silly question, but in the scientific community the question is considered resolved in the affirmative. There are praticles considered real, like photons and gluons, that have no mass.
This does not change my point at all.
Photons are also physical.
SimpleGuy

Post by SimpleGuy »

Not only this , in order to replace carbon based binding in chemical compounds like dna with silicon. We should look at how far this is possible with explosives like hexamine (hexamethylenetetramine) in order to understand fast reactions based on other materials. We should replace as much carbon atoms to the favor of silicon, and look which properties of explosives and other materials are preserved, before building a simple cell.
SimpleGuy

Post by SimpleGuy »

Or even a silicon based RDX.
JamesOfSeattle
Premium Member

Post by JamesOfSeattle »

Gertie wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 7:19 amYou can say Digestion is a 'big picture' shorthand description of the myriad processes involved, and Digestion is therefore reducible to those processes, not some additional property-thing.

But to claim experiencing is reducible to/identical to material processes is claiming something extra. Because this aadditional experience-state arises.
But what if the only thing “extra” in reducing consciousness to material processes is a particular kind of material process, for example, a process that can be said to have a purpose, or a process that can be said to process semantic information, or a process that can be self-referential? These all have something “extra” (well, digestion has purpose) but they all can be described by physical processes.
And maybe eg stomach processes or flying stones don't manifest consciousness, because the patterns of interactions don't meet those necessary and sufficient conditions.
The question is: which conditions. And the particular conditions may require a certain amount of complexity, but “a certain amount of complexity” is (almost) certainly not one of those conditions.

Mosesquine

Post by Mosesquine »

Karpel Tunnel wrote: June 21st, 2018, 4:10 am
Mosesquine wrote: June 21st, 2018, 12:50 am

Physicalism is roughly defined as the view that everything can be explained by physical terms. Tables are explained by physical terms, for example, like sizes, heights, colors, shapes, and so on. Even imaginary beings like unicorns, and Pegasus are explained by physical terms (e.g. horse-shape, animal-shape, such and such color, and so forth).
Right, but there are physical things without sizes, colors, shapes, etc. There are massless particles. There are fields, particles in superposition, billions of neutrinos passing through us right now. The set of qualities that makes something physical has expanded. Anything that science decides is real, is considered physical. Which means, for example, that your statement that everything is physical is not falsifiable. Which is why I asked the various questions I asked. They were meant to probe at the problem with the word physical.

Some physical things are with sizes, colors, shapes, etc. But that's not all, and there are some more physical things. Your examples such as massless particles may not be explained such things as sizes, colors, shapes, etc. However, they can be explained by some physical terms other than sizes, shapes, etc. So, physicalism is still defended without problems.
JamesOfSeattle
Premium Member

Post by JamesOfSeattle »

Re: what is physical

What if we define something as physical if it interacts with its environment?

ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

JamesOfSeattle wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 11:39 am Re: what is physical

Everything is physical.
"Physical" is like "atheist". It only requires to be used as a word to imply that which does not have any material or energetic reality.
In the same way we would have no need os "atheist" is there were no theists in the world.

Whatever consciousness is, it is in fact physical. Specifically it is a property of biologically derived neural matter.
Mosesquine

Post by Mosesquine »

chewybrian wrote: June 21st, 2018, 6:57 am
Mosesquine wrote: June 21st, 2018, 12:46 amA lot of physicists accept premise 2 above. It's a common sense. You can easily find physical objects around you. However, you can't find non-physical objects like souls, angels, gods, and the like.
You don't have to believe in souls or angels to believe you have a consciousness, or even a free will, as most people do. You can't fairly declare your position common sense while comparing theirs to fairy tales. It is, in fact common sense to believe one has a free will if this is the nature of every moment of waking experience as far back as memory allows.

Thoughts lead to murders or pyramids or Super Bowl titles or space ships and all kinds of other events and things beyond the scope of their existence. The thought has no noticeable weight or force to exert, so these results don't fit the rules of cause and effect. This area of thought, will, etc. is arguably outside the realm of laws which apply to material things, so we could fairly assume thoughts or consciousness are subject to different laws than rocks or Corvette Stingrays.

It's beyond our current scope to prove the answer in either direction, so it seems unfair at this point for either 'side' to dismiss the other. When you've worked out an experiment to prove your position to a satisfactory standard, then you could come to us with that level of certainty. In the meantime, it seems right to postpone judgment.

Your point is not clear. Say anything clearly.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Mosesquine wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 6:35 pm
chewybrian wrote: June 21st, 2018, 6:57 am

You don't have to believe in souls or angels to believe you have a consciousness, or even a free will, as most people do. You can't fairly declare your position common sense while comparing theirs to fairy tales. It is, in fact common sense to believe one has a free will if this is the nature of every moment of waking experience as far back as memory allows.

Thoughts lead to murders or pyramids or Super Bowl titles or space ships and all kinds of other events and things beyond the scope of their existence. The thought has no noticeable weight or force to exert, so these results don't fit the rules of cause and effect. This area of thought, will, etc. is arguably outside the realm of laws which apply to material things, so we could fairly assume thoughts or consciousness are subject to different laws than rocks or Corvette Stingrays.

It's beyond our current scope to prove the answer in either direction, so it seems unfair at this point for either 'side' to dismiss the other. When you've worked out an experiment to prove your position to a satisfactory standard, then you could come to us with that level of certainty. In the meantime, it seems right to postpone judgment.

Your point is not clear. Say anything clearly.
You say you can't find souls, angels, and Gods. But you can find thoughts in your mind and you can and do experience consciousness and free will. You are cherry picking the aspects that are easiest to attack.

Thoughts, consciousness, will... these things don't have material existence, but they do impact the material world. So, if they can cause effects without any force, weight, etc. to exert, then perhaps they are not subject to the same laws that govern material things.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Present awareness

Post by Present awareness »

ThomasHobbes wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 12:18 pm
JamesOfSeattle wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 11:39 am Re: what is physical

Everything is physical.
"Physical" is like "atheist". It only requires to be used as a word to imply that which does not have any material or energetic reality.
In the same way we would have no need os "atheist" is there were no theists in the world.

Whatever consciousness is, it is in fact physical. Specifically it is a property of biologically derived neural matter.
Nothing is physical. According to Tesla, everything is electricity.
Even though you can see me, I might not be here.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Present awareness wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 8:29 pm
ThomasHobbes wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 12:18 pm

Everything is physical.

Nothing is physical. According to Tesla, everything is electricity.
Some years ago there was a fierce storm and I ran outside to close the car windows. Just as I was getting back out of the car there was a lightning flash too close for comfort and, without a single thought in my head, I bolted like a jackrabbit back to the building. It was perhaps more physical than anything I've known!
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

Greta wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 9:16 pm Some years ago there was a fierce storm and I ran outside to close the car windows. Just as I was getting back out of the car there was a lightning flash too close for comfort and, without a single thought in my head, I bolted like a jackrabbit back to the building. It was perhaps more physical than anything I've known!
Escaping a storm surely feels physical, and thinking about eternity in a silent room surely feels spiritual, but both are modes of consciousness, and their logical and ontological status in relation to the physical world is the same.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

James
But what if the only thing “extra” in reducing consciousness to material processes is a particular kind of material process, for example, a process that can be said to have a purpose, or a process that can be said to process semantic information, or a process that can be self-referential? These all have something “extra” (well, digestion has purpose) but they all can be described by physical processes.
There are no shortage of competing 'What If...' hypotheses in Philosophy of Mind :), the problem is finding ways to get further than that. Which is where our usual methodoloogy, our scientific model and toolkit, seems to fall short.

You're basically describing the brain here. Yes, the brain can be described by physical processes, like the stomach, but that description won't explain or even encompass experiential states. Unlike digestion, it is extra to the physical processes, not captured by our usual types of physical descriptions and explanation. That's why, unlike the stomach, brain processes which produce consciousness require further, perhaps more fundamental, explanation.

The brain has a different function/purpose to the stomach. From the pov of the physical system I call Me, the conscious Subject who has interests and thinks in terms of Purpose, the function/purpose of my stomach is digestion, and the function/purpose of my brain is making decisions. ''Processing semantic information' is one way of describing how that works, but making decisions is the purpose. The brain is the body's decision-making organ, that's what it's for.

And it's easy to see how the evolved ability to 'process information' by perceiving my environment, remembering, feeling sensations like pain and hunger, having a reward system, reasoning, imagining scenarios/consequences, self-awareness, etc can all help in the function of making beneficial decisions - if consciousness plays a causal role in my actions. (Tho the over-determinism of physical and mental causality looks puzzling, and again imo nods to the need for a more fundamental explanation of the mind-body relationship).

So the purpose/function (subjective attributes we conscious critters assign) of brain processes and stomach processes are well enough understood in terms of evolution. Why and how brains manifest consciousness when apparently the correlated physical systems can/are simultaneously doing all the causal work, is not.

Now... if you're hinting that purpose/function is more than something which can be contextualised in the above way, that it is perhaps more 'fundamental' to the way the universe works, then that's possible. Perhaps even that it's the material world of 'stuff' which should be contextualised as an emergent mechanism within a more fundamental teleological universe. But then you have to make a substantive argument. Which imo becomes very difficult because it's necessarily so speculative, and difficult to ground.

And maybe eg stomach processes or flying stones don't manifest consciousness, because the patterns of interactions don't meet those necessary and sufficient conditions.
The question is: which conditions. And the particular conditions may require a certain amount of complexity, but “a certain amount of complexity” is (almost) certainly not one of those conditions.

Nobody knows what the necessary and sufficient conditions for consciousness are. But we can look at known conscious systems and try to reverse engineer reasonable hypotheses. Brains are the most complex systems we know of, and they correlate to conscious states - that looks like a clue worth considering doesn't it?
JamesOfSeattle
Premium Member

Post by JamesOfSeattle »

Gertie wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 5:49 amThere are no shortage of competing 'What If...' hypotheses in Philosophy of Mind :), the problem is finding ways to get further than that. Which is where our usual methodoloogy, our scientific model and toolkit, seems to fall short.
Sorry, that was my way of starting to talk about one such hypothesis.

I’m trying to get at the fundamental requirements for consciousness, but different people have different views on what the fundamendental requirements are. I’m saying there is an underlying framework that establishes a hierarchy of physical processes, and where in that hierarchy consciousness begins is entirely dependent on personal preference.

The Framework is simple mechanism. Any physical process can be described as Input —> [mechanism] —> Output. This is a functional process in the mathematical sense: any given input will produce exactly one output. The mechanism can be said to discern the input and “cause” the output.

So at the bottom of the hierarchy is the Framework and nothing else. If your personal preference is that nothing more is required, you’re a panpsychist.

At (probably) the next higher level we have a process that serves a functional purpose. This includes mechanisms created by natural selection, like cell surface receptors, eyeballs, and brains. If your personal preference for the fundamental unit of consciousness is purposeful function, you’re a functionalist, and you would say bacteria are conscious.

At a higher level, you might require that:
1. the Input constitutes semantic information, and
2. the output constitutes a response which is a valuable response to the meaning of the input.
This category would include anything with neurons, or mechanisms that act like neurons. This is my personal preference because here you get qualia (see below).

At a higher levels, you might require that at least part of the output constitutes memory, or that the input and/or output constitute concepts, or that input and/or output concepts be self-referential.

The human brain is obviously at the top of the hierarchy I described. My point is, these “experiential states” you refer to can (ultimately) be explained in terms of the appropriate mechanistic processes.

If my understanding of consciousness is correct, the “mind-body relationship” is simply the relationship between mechanisms (body) and specific kinds of mental-type processes. It would be confusing to say that consciousness plays a causal role. Instead, you would say that some mechanistic (causal) processes are conscious-type processes.

Gertie, I assume that when you mention “manifest consciousness” you are referring to the “manifest image”, the “what it feels like” criterion, the “Hard Problem”, i.e., qualia. If my understanding of consciousness is correct, the explanation of qualia starts with processes with semantic information as input (thus, my personal preference described above). As mentioned above, in any process the mechanism can be said to discern the input and produce the output. If the input has meaning and the output is related to that meaning, the mechanism can be said to discern the meaning. A system which can produce concepts and memories can store the discernment of the input as a concept which represents the meaning of the input. Any time this system accesses that concept, it is accessing the meaning. I suggest that a “quale” is a discernment of meaning. A quale of “red ball” is simply a discernment of a “red ball” via semantic information whose meaning is “red ball”. The more commonly used term for this discernment is “feeling”.

Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

What we call consciousness is perhaps better described by Heidegger by his “concept” of Dasein or by Sartre by his “concept” of for-itself. 'Dasein' means literally 'being there', and the physical world as “ready-to-hand” is part of Dasein's ontological structure. For Sartre the physical world is “in-itself” and is only co-existent with the “for-itself”. So if we combine those two characterizations we can say that a being with consciousness is there for itself. It exists, in the existential sense. And this is all we can say about the “essence” of consciousness, in spite of the 500 pages of Heidegger and 600 pages of Sartre. It must be noted that neither of them had any intention to give a scientific explanation of consciousness, nor did Wittgenstein or any of the great philosophers, and I am sure this was not because they wanted to deny the worth of science.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream