Whatever Consciousness is, it's Not Physical (or reducible to physical).

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
JamesOfSeattle
Premium Member

Re: Whatever Consciousness is, it's Not Physical (or reducible to physical).

Post by JamesOfSeattle »

Actually, Dasein works pretty well as a reference to a mechanism in the Framework I just described, although the reference is to the functional mechanism in the sense that the physical mechanism can be abstracted away. Thus, Dasein refers to the set of functions the mechanism can perform. The physical world, or umwelt, is the set of inputs to which the mechanism could respond. Ready-to-hand actually refers to incorporating mechanisms outside the base mechanism as part of the process in question. Thus, when an artist uses a chainsaw to carve a sculpture without thinking of the chainsaw as a separate thing other than as part of the process, the chainsaw is ready-to-hand.

I haven’t looked at Sartre yet.

[to exist is to be a mechanism for at least one process, i.e., to have causal power]
Mosesquine

Post by Mosesquine »

chewybrian wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 7:27 pm
Mosesquine wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 6:35 pm

Your point is not clear. Say anything clearly.
You say you can't find souls, angels, and Gods. But you can find thoughts in your mind and you can and do experience consciousness and free will. You are cherry picking the aspects that are easiest to attack.

Thoughts, consciousness, will... these things don't have material existence, but they do impact the material world. So, if they can cause effects without any force, weight, etc. to exert, then perhaps they are not subject to the same laws that govern material things.

Physicalism is the very idea that thoughts in minds are essentially physical!!! You failed to refute physicalism!!! Psst---!!!
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Tamminen wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 4:36 am
Greta wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 9:16 pm Some years ago there was a fierce storm and I ran outside to close the car windows. Just as I was getting back out of the car there was a lightning flash too close for comfort and, without a single thought in my head, I bolted like a jackrabbit back to the building. It was perhaps more physical than anything I've known!
Escaping a storm surely feels physical, and thinking about eternity in a silent room surely feels spiritual, but both are modes of consciousness, and their logical and ontological status in relation to the physical world is the same.
I'm not sure what you mean here, Tam.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

Greta wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 7:40 pm
Tamminen wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 4:36 am
Escaping a storm surely feels physical, and thinking about eternity in a silent room surely feels spiritual, but both are modes of consciousness, and their logical and ontological status in relation to the physical world is the same.
I only mean that whether your feeling physical is itself physical or reducible to physical is still an open question, in the same way as the question whether your feeling spiritual is itself spiritual or reducible to spiritual.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Present awareness wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 8:29 pm
ThomasHobbes wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 12:18 pm

Everything is physical.
"Physical" is like "atheist". It only requires to be used as a word to imply that which does not have any material or energetic reality.
In the same way we would have no need os "atheist" is there were no theists in the world.

Whatever consciousness is, it is in fact physical. Specifically it is a property of biologically derived neural matter.
Nothing is physical. According to Tesla, everything is electricity.
Please cite!

Even electricity is physical.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Tamminen wrote: June 24th, 2018, 3:16 am
Greta wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 7:40 pm
I only mean that whether your feeling physical is itself physical or reducible to physical is still an open question, in the same way as the question whether your feeling spiritual is itself spiritual or reducible to spiritual.
Feelings of all kinds are physical.
When body parts are lost; feelings are lost.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

JamesOfSeattle wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 12:59 pm I’m trying to get at the fundamental requirements for consciousness
Fine, and maybe you have found them. But that does not mean you have found consciousness. You use terms like 'discern', 'semantics', 'meaning', 'memory', 'concept', 'mental' etc. that already presuppose the being of consciousness. You describe the structure of consciousness and its material requirements, but fail to solve the "hard problem", for which I do not blame you, because there is no such problem. Science can only find correlations between consciousness and material processes, not identity in the sense of a common conceptual framework. The language of consciousness can perhaps be translated into the language of neuroscience, but a common language is impossible because of the general structure of reality: the subject's consciousness of the world. The first person point of view, which is an essential feature of consciousness, makes it impossible to speak of it in the same language as we speak of material processes. This is how I see the situation.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Mosesquine wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 3:32 pmPhysicalism is the very idea that thoughts in minds are essentially physical!!! You failed to refute physicalism!!! Psst---!!!
Well, you've laid out a self-fulfilling argument that accepts your conclusion as a given:
Mosesquine wrote: June 20th, 2018, 7:07 am1. Conscious phenomena exist.
2. Whatever exists is physical.
Therefore, 3. Conscious phenomena are physical.
Q.E.D.
Nobody could refute it, if they buy that, but I don't. Saying that consciousness is physical is not proving it. I am not attempting to disprove it, but simply to say that we don't know. It's my opinion that thoughts are not physical, but it could go either way.

You've avoided every question so far. See if you can answer these:

You have two perfectly identical twins, one alive and one dead. What is the PHYSICAL difference between the two? How much does 'alive' weigh? How much space does it occupy? How many calories can you get from burning it? What characteristics of physical things are present in the life force? What physical thing or things could we add to the dead girl to make her alive?

Again, none of this is intended to 'prove' consciousness is not physical, but only to show that you can not, have not proven that it is, and that there is considerable doubt.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

ThomasHobbes wrote: June 24th, 2018, 4:38 am Feelings of all kinds are physical.
Neurological correlations of feelings are physical. We must make a conceptual distinction here.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

I meant correlates.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Tamminen wrote: June 24th, 2018, 4:47 amThe language of consciousness can perhaps be translated into the language of neuroscience, but a common language is impossible because of the general structure of reality: the subject's consciousness of the world. The first person point of view, which is an essential feature of consciousness, makes it impossible to speak of it in the same language as we speak of material processes. This is how I see the situation.
"In taking the identity theory (in its various forms) as a species of physicalism, I should say that this is an ontological, not a translational physicalism. It would be absurd to try to translate sentences containing the word ‘brain’ or the word ‘sensation’ into sentences about electrons, protons and so on. Nor can we so translate sentences containing the word ‘tree’. After all ‘tree’ is largely learned ostensively, and is not even part of botanical classification. If we were small enough a dandelion might count as a tree. Nevertheless a physicalist could say that trees are complicated physical mechanisms." – J. J. C. Smart: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/mind-identity/

To say that the subject matter of psychology/phenomenology is ontologically reducible to the subject matter of physics is not necessarily to say that the language, the concepts or predicates of psychology/phenomenology are translatable into and replaceable by the language, the concepts or predicates of physics.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Consul

Post by Consul »

chewybrian wrote: June 24th, 2018, 4:53 amYou have two perfectly identical twins, one alive and one dead. What is the PHYSICAL difference between the two? How much does 'alive' weigh? How much space does it occupy? How many calories can you get from burning it? What characteristics of physical things are present in the life force? What physical thing or things could we add to the dead girl to make her alive?
What makes the difference between being alive and being dead is surely not the presence or absence of a nonphysical life force/energy (élan vital or qi). In contemporary biology, vitalism is as dead as the dodo.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

Consul wrote: June 24th, 2018, 8:07 amWhat makes the difference between being alive and being dead is surely not the presence or absence of a nonphysical life force/energy (élan vital or qi). In contemporary biology, vitalism is as dead as the dodo.
Should you not be expected, on a philosophy forum, to "show your work"? Stating something, however forcefully, without backing it up in any way, allows me to dismiss it out of hand if I wish. What evidence do you offer?

Don't physical things have characteristics that can be verified to help convince us that they are physical? If I tell you there is an alligator in the corner of the room, you should be able to check this out in an number of ways with: your senses, a scale, a camera, an MRI machine, a duck which is not dear to you, etc. Or, you will rightly deny the presence of the alligator if you can not verify its presence.

So, would you agree that physical things have properties which can be verified to prove that the things are physical. If something has none of these properties to show us, then why would we conclude it must be physical? If consciousness has any such properties, what are they?
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Present awareness

Post by Present awareness »

That which is physical, has mass and can be measured in terms of weight, size, etc. Light does not have mass and therefore is not physical, in accordance with the definition. Calling light physical, doesn’t make it so, but anyone can say whatever they like, just as I’m doing here. Electricity is not physical, which allows it to travel freely though physical conductors. All forms of energy act upon mass, but have no mass of there own. A fire requires the chemical reaction between fuel, oxygen and heat and the byproduct is heat and light. The human body also required fuel, oxygen and heat and the byproduct is heat and consciousness (light).
Even though you can see me, I might not be here.
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

Present awareness wrote: June 24th, 2018, 8:40 am That which is physical, has mass and can be measured in terms of weight, size, etc. Light does not have mass and therefore is not physical, in accordance with the definition. Calling light physical, doesn’t make it so, but anyone can say whatever they like, just as I’m doing here. Electricity is not physical, which allows it to travel freely though physical conductors. All forms of energy act upon mass, but have no mass of there own. A fire requires the chemical reaction between fuel, oxygen and heat and the byproduct is heat and light. The human body also required fuel, oxygen and heat and the byproduct is heat and consciousness (light).
I appreciate the effort and it has some appeal to say that consciousness is energy over saying it is matter. But, it quickly raises a couple questions:

Is energy or light physical, or does it need its own category?

Does consciousness share any properties of energy or light that might be verified? Can your awareness charge a battery, cast a shadow, or set something on fire? What is it about consciousness that could put it in the category of energy, whether we call that a subset of matter or something else?

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream