Whatever Consciousness is, it's Not Physical (or reducible to physical).

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Whatever Consciousness is, it's Not Physical (or reducible to physical).

Post by Sy Borg »

Tamminen wrote: August 19th, 2018, 12:33 pm About emerging.

So there is an uninhabited world with no relationship to subjects. Now subjects emerge from this world - or do not emerge. Think of this latter alternative. What does it mean that such a world exists, instead of this world that we are experiencing? The uninhabited past of our world has meaning because we are here to give it a meaning, and we can say it exists or has existed, but without our being in the world the world and its possible existence has no meaning. Existence without subjects makes no sense. Matter without subjects makes no sense. In the same way as a transcendent God is purely fictitious, also transcendent matter, matter without a relationship with subjectivity, is purely fictitious.
I can consider a world without subjects - every one of them we know aside from Earth. There's a lot of exoplanets without a relationship to subjectivity until a researcher spots it.

I would also prefer not shift the emphasis from "existence" to "meaning". No point talking about meaning. Indeed, plasma, gas and rocks are not big on conferring meaning to things. However, celestial objects - without subjects - still always go through the same motions as conscious beings.

Consider the proto-planetary disc from which we emerged. There existed in that rubble of our star's ignition all manner of entities - some of them were dominant (a few of these ended up being the seeds of the known planets). Many smaller rocks were simply fodder, destined for assimilation or disintegration. Some were faster, slower, some more loose, others more compact. Most followed the heliocentric orbit but others followed eccentric paths in varying degrees. It was a community just like any other, except that its occupants were neither conscious nor sensate.

Rather than being fundamental, consciousness appears to be layered over - and typically subject to - pre-existing nonconscious dynamics.
Felix

Post by Felix »

I suppose the most you could say is that conditions in our universe, the structure of our universe, made life and sentient beings inevitable, which made the fact that it will have meaning inevitable.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
BigBango

Post by BigBango »

Greta wrote: August 19th, 2018, 4:39 pm Not convincing BB. The quantum fluctuation was not in "nothing" but was one of truly countless fluctuations - just that one virtual particle that popped into existence did not pop out again and instead expanded.
Of course Greta, I understand there may have been many quantum fluctuations. Those fluctuations are understood by science as events that created visible matter. They may have created the other 90% of the mass of the universe but that is not an established fact. My point is not that I know for a fact that subjects existed separate from the collapse of the visible pre-world galaxies, my point is that it is possible. Your point seemed to be that because of the plasma, hot gasses that there could not be "subjects" before the BB. You are wrong and I may be right.
Greta wrote: August 19th, 2018, 4:39 pm
Humans are a minority, their existence emerging upon a much larger layer of animals.

Animals are a minority, their existence emerging upon a much larger layer of plants.

Plants are a minority, their existence emerging upon a much larger layer of microbes.

Microbes are a minority, their existence emerging upon a much larger layer of geology.

Geology is a small part of what constitutes geology, its existence emerging from much more prevalent plasma.

Baryonic matter (plasma and stuff) is a minority, its existence emerging upon a much larger layer of dark matter.

Dark matter is a minority, its existence emerging upon a much larger layer of dark energy.

We can confer subject status to any of these, but it will only be supposition.
I appreciate your very "ordered mind", but you fail to see the possibilities of a "fractal" evolution rather than simply a gradually evolution from the simple to the more complex.

I remember one of your earlier posts where you seemed to think that "similarity" between existents like atoms and galaxies may be "fractals" That is a misconception. In a 2-dimensial fract like rivers and coastlines there are no separate similar figures. We draw a river with straight lines which completely erases its fractal nature. The same with coastlines. At higher resolution you start to draw the rivers edge and you see that its line is broken by a rivulet that looks like a smaller river. The river is a fractal because its structure is formed from similar structures.

I never suggested that humans existed before the BB. I asserted that "subjects" may have existed before the BB. If they did they were the lower "fractal" subjectivity of our current world. Sure our human intelligence emerged from the evolution of cells, but not without the help of the "subjectivity" that existed before the BB.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Felix wrote: August 19th, 2018, 5:59 pmI suppose the most you could say is that conditions in our universe, the structure of our universe, made life and sentient beings inevitable, which made the fact that it will have meaning inevitable.
Well said.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

BigBango wrote: August 19th, 2018, 6:17 pm
Greta wrote: August 19th, 2018, 4:39 pm Not convincing BB. The quantum fluctuation was not in "nothing" but was one of truly countless fluctuations - just that one virtual particle that popped into existence did not pop out again and instead expanded.
Of course Greta, I understand there may have been many quantum fluctuations. Those fluctuations are understood by science as events that created visible matter. They may have created the other 90% of the mass of the universe but that is not an established fact. My point is not that I know for a fact that subjects existed separate from the collapse of the visible pre-world galaxies, my point is that it is possible. Your point seemed to be that because of the plasma, hot gasses that there could not be "subjects" before the BB. You are wrong and I may be right.
If you are a adjudicator, you would say that :D

However, now it is my turn to be adjudicator. Firstly, yes, I should have added some qualifiers. It should have read:

It is posited that the quantum fluctuation was not in "nothing" but was one of truly countless fluctuations. Krauss proposed that just that one virtual particle that popped into existence did not pop out again and instead expanded.

The only way I can imagine subjects existing before the BB is if some ultra advanced life (or post life) survived the death of their universe. That's possible IMO. Who is to say that the BB was the first? Ii may have been the billionth.

BigBango wrote:
Greta wrote: August 19th, 2018, 4:39 pmHumans are a minority, their existence emerging upon a much larger layer of animals.

Animals are a minority, their existence emerging upon a much larger layer of plants.

Plants are a minority, their existence emerging upon a much larger layer of microbes.

Microbes are a minority, their existence emerging upon a much larger layer of geology.

Geology is a small part of what constitutes geology, its existence emerging from much more prevalent plasma.

Baryonic matter (plasma and stuff) is a minority, its existence emerging upon a much larger layer of dark matter.

Dark matter is a minority, its existence emerging upon a much larger layer of dark energy.

We can confer subject status to any of these, but it will only be supposition.
I appreciate your very "ordered mind", but you fail to see the possibilities of a "fractal" evolution rather than simply a gradually evolution from the simple to the more complex.

I remember one of your earlier posts where you seemed to think that "similarity" between existents like atoms and galaxies may be "fractals" That is a misconception. In a 2-dimensial fract like rivers and coastlines there are no separate similar figures. We draw a river with straight lines which completely erases its fractal nature. The same with coastlines. At higher resolution you start to draw the rivers edge and you see that its line is broken by a rivulet that looks like a smaller river. The river is a fractal because its structure is formed from similar structures.

I never suggested that humans existed before the BB. I asserted that "subjects" may have existed before the BB. If they did they were the lower "fractal" subjectivity of our current world. Sure our human intelligence emerged from the evolution of cells, but not without the help of the "subjectivity" that existed before the BB.
Be glad not to be living in such an "ordered mind", BB - it takes a lot of chaos to motivate one to order things so :)

Actually, fractal evolution is my best guess as to what the universe is doing.

As for the idea of repeated dynamics in the fractal layers of reality, I reaffirm what I'd posited before that reality keeps throwing up areas of extreme density (be it energetically or informationally). These objects strongly influence the local environment, forming a feedback loops of varying "equality", eg. atoms, eukaryotic cells, planets, stars, black holes, galaxies. I posit an informational fractal relationship between such entities. If you refute that, I'd welcome a debate but maybe should start a new thread.

What do you mean by subjects in: '... the lower "fractal" subjectivity of our current world'?
Mosesquine

Post by Mosesquine »

Consciousness should be physical. Every illusionary being like unicorns, flying spaghetti monster, gods, etc. is never physical. Consciousness is not an illusionary being. Every non-illusionary being is physical. This follows that consciousness is physical.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

... noting that there's probably still a fair bit of physical material in reality that we don't know about.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Mosesquine wrote: August 19th, 2018, 7:21 pm Consciousness should be physical. Every illusionary being like unicorns, flying spaghetti monster, gods, etc. is never physical. Consciousness is not an illusionary being. Every non-illusionary being is physical. This follows that consciousness is physical.
Sure, as long as we keep expanding the definition of what can be called physical, which we did for example through the whole of the 20th century, consciousness will also end up being called physical. But the word only means real, it is not a comment on substance type. Not any more.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

Fooloso4 wrote: August 19th, 2018, 5:00 pm There may be vast regions of the universe without consciousness, inaccessible to any conscious being. There may have been a time in our universe prior to consciousness and there may be a time in which there no longer will be consciousness.
We all understand this. I expected you would read the discussion we have had on the subject so you would understand that this is not the point I made. The question is if there must be subjects in the alternate universe seen as a spatiotemporal totality, for us to be able to consistently imagine the world without subjects, an alternate world for our world, not a parallel one. The answer is not as simple as you suggest. Or for me it is simple, but others do not seem to get the point, of which I am a bit surprised. But I admit it requires a reflective insight to see this. We can say that the subject turns the light of existence on or off. And it is never off, because nonexistence is self-contradictory.

Only Halc understands the holistic viewpoint. Greta ignores it repeatedly. I trust you because I have seen you can go deep if you reach another's horizon of thinking.

So, from the holistic perspective, can we consistently imagine the world without subjects, and can such a world, an alternate or possible world exist? It is a question of what we mean by 'existing'. We can imagine an uninhabited world as an abstraction, as I wrote in a recent post, but this picture before our eyes proves to be internally inconsistent and the whole idea breaks down. Existence is necessarily related with subjectivity.
The idea of matter being transcendent is purely fictitious, but this does not mean there cannot be matter without a relationship with subjectivity. It may be that matter gives rise to subjectivity under the right conditions. Once it does there is a relationship but where it does not there is no relationship until or unless a conscious being becomes aware of it.
From the holistic perspective the being of subjectivity and its individual manifestations is necessary, although it has its history of course, a history of becoming and "emerging" from uninhabited phases, like a conscious human being has its non-conscious history as an embryo. I see the universe, as well as the living organism, as a process of becoming conscious.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Tamminen:
We can say that the subject turns the light of existence on or off. And it is never off, because nonexistence is self-contradictory.
There is a logical gap here. It does not follow from the fact that there are subjects that are aware of existence that without subjects there would be no existence, unless you define existence in such a way that it entails existence. But such a priori reasoning tells us nothing about what must be.

I won’t get into the semantical problems of nonexistence that lead to misleading claim that nonexistence is self-contradictory.
We can imagine an uninhabited world as an abstraction, as I wrote in a recent post, but this picture before our eyes proves to be internally inconsistent and the whole idea breaks down. Existence is necessarily related with subjectivity.
This means nothing more than that to imagine entails a subject that imagines.
From the holistic perspective the being of subjectivity and its individual manifestations is necessary … I see the universe, as well as the living organism, as a process of becoming conscious.
Your image of the universe becoming conscious tells us nothing about necessity unless you insist on a strictly deterministic universe in which each and every thing is and happens of necessity.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

Greta wrote: August 19th, 2018, 5:17 pm I would also prefer not shift the emphasis from "existence" to "meaning".
If we want to posit the possibility of the existence of something, we must give some meaning to its existence, be able to imagine it. I am arguing that we cannot consistently give any meaning to the existence of the subjectless universe. We only believe we can. It is something like trying to imagine what it is like to not-exist personally. Some have tried and seen Heavens and Paradises, some others see nothing and say there will be nothing, which means that there is non-being, which is self-contradictory. So there remains a paradox in the case of our personal lives as well as in the case of the universe. The only consistent solution to the paradoxes seems to be the absolute nature of subjectivity.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

Fooloso4 wrote: August 20th, 2018, 9:54 am Tamminen:
We can say that the subject turns the light of existence on or off. And it is never off, because nonexistence is self-contradictory.
There is a logical gap here. It does not follow from the fact that there are subjects that are aware of existence that without subjects there would be no existence, unless you define existence in such a way that it entails existence. But such a priori reasoning tells us nothing about what must be.

I won’t get into the semantical problems of nonexistence that lead to misleading claim that nonexistence is self-contradictory.
I know this cannot be proved with formal logic, because of the limitations of logic, but imagining the world without subjects collapses into an internal inconsistency on an a priori basis. I am not saying anything more. Just think about it.
We can imagine an uninhabited world as an abstraction, as I wrote in a recent post, but this picture before our eyes proves to be internally inconsistent and the whole idea breaks down. Existence is necessarily related with subjectivity.
This means nothing more than that to imagine entails a subject that imagines.
No, the original argument was that it is possible to imagine the subjectless world, and I am arguing that it is not possible, because its imagining is inconsistent. The positing of such a world loses all meaning, and therefore it is impossible to imagine it in a consistent way. The next step is the question of its possible existence.
From the holistic perspective the being of subjectivity and its individual manifestations is necessary … I see the universe, as well as the living organism, as a process of becoming conscious.
Your image of the universe becoming conscious tells us nothing about necessity unless you insist on a strictly deterministic universe in which each and every thing is and happens of necessity.
Do you think that the embryo becomes conscious by accident? Is it possible that there is some kind of an internal tendency for that kind of evolution?

The question of the deterministic universe is interesting, but I think my view allows the kind of probabilistic nature of events that modern physics describes. I appreciate science.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Tamminen:
I know this cannot be proved with formal logic, because of the limitations of logic, but imagining the world without subjects collapses into an internal inconsistency on an a priori basis. I am not saying anything more. Just think about it.
The inconsistency does not lie in the world that is imagined. What would be inconsistent is to deny the imagining subject, but this does not mean that a world must have an imagining subject, only that the imagined world must have an imagining subject who imagines it.
The next step is the question of its possible existence.
And this is where your argument falters. To take the step, to question its possible existence entails a subject that can take the step, a subject who asks the question of its possible existence. But this is self-reflexive. You are trapped in a closed logical loop.
Do you think that the embryo becomes conscious by accident?
Not wholly by accident but accident does play a part. First, not every embryo becomes conscious. Second, the conditions that gave right to life need not have occurred. Of course, in that case we would not be here talking about it.
Is it possible that there is some kind of an internal tendency for that kind of evolution?
What does internal tendency mean? If something exists is there an internal tendency for it to exist? If it is a tendency then it is not a necessity that it exist.

I do not know that evolution must lead to consciousness, only that in our case it has.
The question of the deterministic universe is interesting, but I think my view allows the kind of probabilistic nature of events that modern physics describes. I appreciate science.
What is probable is not necessary. None of us know the probability that conscious life-forms would evolve, only that the chances were good enough that they did evolve here and now. Are we unique? Maybe … maybe not.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

The problem is that we try to posit a transcendent material world without subjects as the basis of subjects. But why should we posit a world that has no relationship with us? What is the motive to posit such an abstraction as concrete reality? Note that all the uninhabited regions and times of our universe have a relationship with us, because we live in the same universe as those regions.

All this leads to the question of what 'existence' means, and the answer tells the difference between materialists and anti-materialists.
tommarcus

Post by tommarcus »

Consciousness or more accurately self awareness (since we are not talking about just being awake) is not physical because it does not follow the natural laws of the physical world.

It did not result from evolution. All life seems to have self-awareness. It is hard to believe that my cat doesn't have self-awareness, or a bird, a fish or even an insect. These living creatures have been around for billions of years and so has self-awareness.

Life does not need self-awareness to exist or function. Theoretically, a robot can be programmed to act like us without being given self-awareness.

Self-awareness does not follow the cause and effect of the physical world. Either you have It completely or you don't. Nothing changes it by making it stronger or weaker.

Therefore, if self-awareness is not part if our three dimensional world, it must be evidence for and part of another dimension which is separate from the physical world. It must reside in some nonphysical state

As such, a corollary to this question is why do we have it in the first place since it is not necessary for us to operate in the physical world?

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream