Whatever Consciousness is, it's Not Physical (or reducible to physical).

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
anonymous66

Re: Whatever Consciousness is, it's Not Physical (or reducible to physical).

Post by anonymous66 »

Consul wrote: July 12th, 2018, 11:37 amYou don't think that to say that water is composed of H2O molecules is to say that there is no water, do you?
This analogy doesn't work. Water IS H2O molecules. That's quite different from the reality of our first hand subjective experiences. You're saying that our first hand subjective experiences are in reality just the physical processes of our brain. I'm saying, if that is the case, then our first hand subjective experience could only be illusions.
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

anonymous66 wrote: July 12th, 2018, 11:46 am
Consul wrote: July 12th, 2018, 11:37 amYou don't think that to say that water is composed of H2O molecules is to say that there is no water, do you?
This analogy doesn't work. Water IS H2O molecules. That's quite different from the reality of our first hand subjective experiences. You're saying that our first hand subjective experiences are in reality just the physical processes of our brain. I'm saying, if that is the case, then our first hand subjective experience could only be illusions.
I'm saying that it's the case that we both believe that substance monism is the case, and I'm saying that there are either 2 things, the physical processes of our brain AND our first hand subjective experiences (if you agree with me here, then I will have considered it to be the case that I have converted you to panpsychism), OR there is only one thing- the physical processes of our brain.
Consul

Post by Consul »

anonymous66 wrote: July 12th, 2018, 11:46 amThis analogy doesn't work. Water IS H2O molecules. That's quite different from the reality of our first hand subjective experiences. You're saying that our first hand subjective experiences are in reality just the physical processes of our brain. I'm saying, if that is the case, then our first hand subjective experience could only be illusions.
This doesn't follow! Phenomenal properties aren't unrealized by being identified with (complex/structural) physical properties.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

Consul wrote: July 12th, 2018, 12:23 pm
anonymous66 wrote: July 12th, 2018, 11:46 amThis analogy doesn't work. Water IS H2O molecules. That's quite different from the reality of our first hand subjective experiences. You're saying that our first hand subjective experiences are in reality just the physical processes of our brain. I'm saying, if that is the case, then our first hand subjective experience could only be illusions.
This doesn't follow! Phenomenal properties aren't unrealized by being identified with (complex/structural) physical properties.
How are you defining Phenomenal properties?
Consul

Post by Consul »

anonymous66 wrote: July 12th, 2018, 11:50 amI'm saying that it's the case that we both believe that substance monism is the case, and I'm saying that there are either 2 things, the physical processes of our brain AND our first hand subjective experiences (if you agree with me here, then I will have considered it to be the case that I have converted you to panpsychism), OR there is only one thing- the physical processes of our brain.
According to reductive physicalism, there are certain physical or neurological processes which are our subjective experiences; and there are other kinds of physical or neurological processes which are nonconscious processes. What's the difference between conscious neurological processes and nonconscious ones? The former have a distinctive and specific attributive or qualitative content (= experiential qualia) that fundamentally consists of a qualia-constituting arrangement or complex of physical attributes (properties/qualities & relations).
Consul

Post by Consul »

anonymous66 wrote: July 12th, 2018, 12:29 pmHow are you defining Phenomenal properties?
They are the introspectible qualitative contents of subjective appearances/experiences.
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

Consul wrote: July 12th, 2018, 12:23 pm
Phenomenal properties aren't unrealized by being identified with (complex/structural) physical properties.
I actually agree with you here, because you are admitting the reality of phenomenal properties- instead of insisting there could only be physical properties.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

anonymous66 wrote: July 12th, 2018, 11:46 am
Which would be a troublesome position for any kind of empricist, since all knowledge would then be based on illusions.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

anonymous66 wrote: July 10th, 2018, 7:46 am
ThomasHobbes wrote: July 9th, 2018, 5:15 pm

A mental state IS A physical state.

The dualism which divides the ideas is a culturally defined dichotomy which does not makes sense and a legacy of ancient and medieval notions of body and soul.
I guess I don't get how you can say, "I'm not a dualist... but I think mental states are real."
And if mental states are physical states, then why talk as if there are 2 different things? Instead of saying, "I feel happy", why not say, "there is X physical process going in my brain"?
We talk as if there are two different things because we have a language legacy that has evolved for a million years. Most people have not stopped to consider the deeper questions and so the language continues.
We commonly say that the sun rises in the morning - but IT DOES NOT!

But as well as saying that "I feel" happy", we also say "I am happy" with equal meaning.
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

ThomasHobbes wrote: July 13th, 2018, 2:47 am
anonymous66 wrote: July 10th, 2018, 7:46 am
I guess I don't get how you can say, "I'm not a dualist... but I think mental states are real."
And if mental states are physical states, then why talk as if there are 2 different things? Instead of saying, "I feel happy", why not say, "there is X physical process going in my brain"?
We talk as if there are two different things because we have a language legacy that has evolved for a million years. Most people have not stopped to consider the deeper questions and so the language continues.
We commonly say that the sun rises in the morning - but IT DOES NOT!

You're describing eliminative materialism. From the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
Eliminative materialism (or eliminativism) is the radical claim that our ordinary, common-sense understanding of the mind is deeply wrong and that some or all of the mental states posited by common-sense do not actually exist. Descartes famously challenged much of what we take for granted, but he insisted that, for the most part, we can be confident about the content of our own minds. Eliminative materialists go further than Descartes on this point, since they challenge the existence of various mental states that Descartes took for granted.
Consul

Post by Consul »

anonymous66 wrote: July 12th, 2018, 8:49 amLike I said, Nagel is an atheist who believes that panpsychism is the case (because panpsychism is the only way to get a mind that isn't an illusion), and he rejects substance dualism. (He is a substance monist, like me and Galen Strawson).
In Mind & Cosmos (pp. 86-7) Nagel writes: "I explored the possibility of a reductive account of consciousness, based on some form of universal monism or panpsychism." As far as I can tell, he doesn't (explicitly) say that it is true.
anonymous66 wrote: July 12th, 2018, 8:49 amNagel argues that the nature of our world is such that it follows that physicalism is false. Here it gets confusing, because Nagel assumes that physicalism and panpsychism are mutually exclusive- he disagrees with Strawson on that point.
Anyway, Nagel also points out that in the past, both theists and physicalists believed that there were only the 2 options.
Nagel is suggesting a third option: Panpsychism. Again, you have to remember that Nagel believes that physicalism and panpsychism are mutually exclusive.
I guess you could say that if Galen Strawson is correct, then it could be the case that the 3rd option is a physicalism that is consistent with panpsychism.
Whether it is depends on what physicalism is and what panpsychism is.

Strawson's concept of physicality has been criticized for being so underspecified that it is vacuous. If "physical" is just a natural-kind term, with "physical world" meaning nothing more than "concrete/spatiotemporal world", then the real essence of the physical might turn out to be mental, in which case even idealism could count as a version of physicalism. But this is absurd!

As long as all mental properties are physical ones, the view that all physical objects have mental properties is logically compatible with physicalism.
However, the prefix "pan-" is often not taken literally, with panpsychism being defined more narrowly as the view that all or at least some kinds of basic/fundamental physical objects have mental/experiential properties. If those physical objects are mereological atoms, i.e. lack proper parts, then their mental/experiential properties are neither reducible to nor emergent from structural physical properties of them, since the having of structural properties presupposes mereological complexity, i.e. the having of proper parts which have properties of their own, and between which relations obtain.
Therefore, panpsychism thus defined is ontologically incompatible with physicalism, because the mental/properties (of basic, mereologically atomic physical objects) postulated by the former are hyperphysical in the sense of being neither reducible to nor emergent from structural physical properties.

By the way, Nagel writes that…

"Materialism requires reductionism; therefore the failure of reductionism requires an alternative to materialism."

(Nagel, Thomas. Mind and Cosmos: Why the Materialist Neo-Darwinian Conception of Nature Is Almost Certainly False. New York: Oxford University Press, 2012. p. 15)

There are quite a few philosophers who deny that "materialism requires reductionism", because they think that it requires reductionism or emergentism. They argue that "the failure of reductionism" doesn't require "an alternative to materialism" but an alternative to reductive materialism; and with emergentive materialism being a genuine version of materialism, there is a materialistic alternative to reductive materialism.

Anyway, "Physicalistic neuroscience has not yet succeeded in reductively explaining subjective experience" is not synonymous with "Physicalistic neuroscience has failed in reductively explaining subjective experience". Nobody can predict the progress and future success of (neuro)science!
anonymous66 wrote: July 12th, 2018, 8:49 amAnd of course, Nagel goes on to argue for an Aristotlean teleology.
Yes, but what he offers is nothing more than hand-waving. He doesn't even offer a sketch of a teleological theory of natural evolution that deserves to be taken seriously by the scientists.

By the way, there is no logical inconsistency between physicalism and the postulation of teleological factors in nature. However, there's a distinction between physioteleological factors and psychoteleological ones (describable in terms of intentional mental states, especially of personal agents such as God); and physicalism is arguably incompatible with the view that cosmic and biological evolution has always been influenced by psychoteleological factors. (Colin Allen calls this view "teleomentalism": "Teleomentalists regard the teleology of psychological intentions, goals, and purposes as the primary model for understanding teleology in biology."Teleological Notions in Biology)

"As various sorts of mentalism can be thoroughly mechanistic, so conversely a materialism is compatible with any amount of vital spontaneity, from the palest tychism, through diverse shades of organicism, to the rosiest teleology."

(Williams, Donald Cary. "Naturalism and the Nature of Things." In Principles of Empirical Realism: Philosophical Essays, 212-238. Springfield, IL: Charles C Thomas, 1966. p. 223)
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

Consul wrote: July 13th, 2018, 10:09 am
anonymous66 wrote: July 12th, 2018, 8:49 amNagel argues that the nature of our world is such that it follows that physicalism is false. Here it gets confusing, because Nagel assumes that physicalism and panpsychism are mutually exclusive- he disagrees with Strawson on that point.
Anyway, Nagel also points out that in the past, both theists and physicalists believed that there were only the 2 options.
Nagel is suggesting a third option: Panpsychism. Again, you have to remember that Nagel believes that physicalism and panpsychism are mutually exclusive.
I guess you could say that if Galen Strawson is correct, then it could be the case that the 3rd option is a physicalism that is consistent with panpsychism.
Whether it is depends on what physicalism is and what panpsychism is.

Strawson's concept of physicality has been criticized for being so underspecified that it is vacuous. If "physical" is just a natural-kind term, with "physical world" meaning nothing more than "concrete/spatiotemporal world", then the real essence of the physical might turn out to be mental, in which case even idealism could count as a version of physicalism. But this is absurd!

As long as all mental properties are physical ones, the view that all physical objects have mental properties is logically compatible with physicalism.
You'll have to elaborate here. Are you saying that you believe there are both mental properties and physical properties?
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: July 13th, 2018, 10:09 am…Therefore, panpsychism thus defined is ontologically incompatible with physicalism, because the mental/properties (of basic, mereologically atomic physical objects) postulated by the former are hyperphysical in the sense of being neither reducible to nor emergent from structural physical properties.
That is, (both reductive and nonreductive/emergentive) physicalism is incompatible with what Paul Churchland calls elemental-property dualism (basic-/fundamental-property dualism):

"A property dualist…could let go of the thesis of evolutionary emergence, and claim that mental properties are fundamental properties of reality, properties that have been here since the universe's inception, properties on a par with such properties as length, mass, charge, time, and other fundamental properties. There is even an historical precedent for a position of this kind. In the early 1900s, it was still believed that electromagnetic phenomena (such as electric charge, magnetic attraction, and electromagnetic waves) were just an unusually subtle manifestation of purely mechanical phenomena. Most scientists thought that an explanatory reduction of electromagnetics to mechanics was more or less in the bag. They thought that radio waves, for example, would turn out to be just traveling oscillation or waves in a very subtle jellylike aether that filled space everywhere. But the aether turned out not to exist! And so electromagnetic properties turned out to be fundamental properties in their own right, and we were forced to add electric charge to the existing list of fundamental properties (mass, length, and temporal duration.)

Perhaps mental properties enjoy a status like that of electromagnetic properties: irreducible, but not emergent. Such a view may be called elemental-property dualism, and it has the advantage of clarity over the immediately previous view [emergentist property dualism]. Unfortunately, the parallel with electromagnetic properties, which are displayed at all levels of reality from the subatomic level on up, and from the earliest stages of the cosmos to the present, mental properties are displayed only in large physical systems that have evolved a superlatively complex internal organization, a process that has taken over ten billion years. The factual and historical case for the evolutionary emergence of mental properties through the progressive organization of matter is extremely strong. They do not appear to be basic or elemental at all."

(Churchland, Paul M. Matter and Consciousness. 3rd ed. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2013. pp. 20-1)
Consul

Post by Consul »

anonymous66 wrote: July 13th, 2018, 10:59 amYou'll have to elaborate here. Are you saying that you believe there are both mental properties and physical properties?
Of course, from the point of view of physicalism, this distinction is one within the physical world. That is, it isn't a distinction between physical properties and nonphysical ones, but between non-psychophysical properties and psychophysical ones. If all mental properties are physical properties, then some physical properties are mental properties, with these being the psychophysical (or "phenophysical") ones.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: July 13th, 2018, 10:09 amHowever, the prefix "pan-" is often not taken literally, with panpsychism being defined more narrowly as the view that all or at least some kinds of basic/fundamental physical objects have mental/experiential properties. If those physical objects are mereological atoms, i.e. lack proper parts, then their mental/experiential properties are neither reducible to nor emergent from structural physical properties of them, since the having of structural properties presupposes mereological complexity, i.e. the having of proper parts which have properties of their own, and between which relations obtain.
Note that physical atoms aren't mereological atoms, since they are composed of smaller physical objects (electrons, neutrons, protons). Even subatomic objects such as as protons aren't mereological atoms, since they are composed of smaller objects too (quarks). And it is unknown whether quarks are composite objects.

Physicalism is logically compatible with the view that all or at least some kinds of mereologically non-atomic microphysical objects—be they single molecules, atoms, or subatomic particles—have structurally reducible or emergent mental properties. However, this is by no means to say that this physicalism-compatible view is plausible. I think it's absurd.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream