Syntax and semantics

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
ThomasHobbes

Re: Syntax and semantics

Post by ThomasHobbes »

RJG wrote: June 15th, 2018, 11:18 am
RJG wrote:Words are just "labels" for experiences.
ThomasHobbes wrote:What experience do I have for black hole?
If "black hole" has meaning to you, then there exists an "aha!" experiential moment; a recognition point caused by the 'association' of (other) sensory experiences. -- The words "black hole" is the "label" given for these felt experiences.

If "black hole" is meaningless to you, then there are no associated experiences.
No one can experience a black hole.
Words are more than you say.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

-1- wrote: June 15th, 2018, 12:39 pm
ThomasHobbes wrote: June 15th, 2018, 10:43 am

If you do not understand 'understanding' then you could, not only, not understand the answer, you could not even ask the question.
I am sorry, but anyone is capable of asking any question.

And it may be the case I don't understand understanding now, but given a proper explanation, I shall after that understand understanding.

On the other hand, if I understood understanding, as you claim, I should be able to give a proper account or description of it. However, that I can't, ergo, I don't understand how to understand.

Sorry I don't understand your objection.
RJG

Post by RJG »

RJG wrote:If "black hole" has meaning to you, then there exists an "aha!" experiential moment; a recognition point caused by the 'association' of (other) sensory experiences. -- The words "black hole" is the "label" given for these felt experiences.

If "black hole" is meaningless to you, then there are no associated experiences.
ThomasHobbes wrote:No one can experience a black hole.
What do you mean by "black hole"??? ...whatever answer you give, is its 'meaning' (to you), ...and it is this 'meaning', that is derived from sensory experiences.

ThomasHobbes wrote:Words are more than you say.
Are they more than these words that you say?
ReasonMadeFlesh
Favorite Philosopher: Jesus Christ

Post by ReasonMadeFlesh »

-1- wrote: June 15th, 2018, 6:38 am
ReasonMadeFlesh wrote: June 7th, 2018, 6:16 pm Formal logic can often convolute natural language more than is necessary.

Sometimes it's useful, in mathematics especially, and it can be useful to know modal logic, or even read Kripke and Lewis, but anything beyond that is just masturbation imo.
[ad hominem removed]

There should be a fallacy named after "I don't understand it, so it's immaterial, it is not a valid argument".

Don't feel bad, I also don't understand the second post. You and I need instruction, training and practice to follow that sort of argumentation. Which instruction, training, and practice you and I obviously lack.

But to put a limit on complexity only because it's beyond a person's level of easy and immediate understanding is near-sighted and very, very damaging.

This is what the Church had been doing actually, for thousands of years, and would be still doing if we let it, and is still trying to do in North America (with efforts, for instance, to deny that evolution is an ongoing process.)
[ad hominem removed] The church (the real church) is far from stupid. Folly only arose when the laity made attempts to interpret scripture. And whoever denies biological evolution is a dumbass. The one true Catholic church affirms evolution and you can even infer it in some ways from scripture.
"A philosopher who does not take part in discussions is like a boxer who never goes into the ring." - Ludwig Wittgenstein
ReasonMadeFlesh

And this has went off-topic af, and this cat person is a nuisance. Be gone at once I say
"A philosopher who does not take part in discussions is like a boxer who never goes into the ring." - Ludwig Wittgenstein
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

ReasonMadeFlesh wrote: June 16th, 2018, 1:39 pm The one true Catholic church affirms evolution and you can even infer it in some ways from scripture.
No you cannot.
The RC church is just bending with the wind.
ReasonMadeFlesh

ThomasHobbes wrote: June 16th, 2018, 3:48 pm
ReasonMadeFlesh wrote: June 16th, 2018, 1:39 pm The one true Catholic church affirms evolution and you can even infer it in some ways from scripture.
No you cannot.
The RC church is just bending with the wind.
[ad hominem removed]
-1-

Post by -1- »

ReasonMadeFlesh wrote: June 16th, 2018, 1:39 pm
Speak for yourself ****. The church (the real church) is far from stupid. Folly only arose when the laity made attempts to interpret scripture. And whoever denies biological evolution is a dumbass. The one true Catholic church affirms evolution and you can even infer it in some ways from scripture.
I know that the Roman Catholic Church accepts the doctrine (they can only talk in terms of doctrines) of evolution but only from the point of creation of the world six thousand years ago (give or take).

If you did not have a lazy eye, you would have noticed that I said that it's the North American Evangelistic communities aniong the Christian sects that fight the theory of evolution.

I admit that my wording was ambiguous.

You will know what I mean by the Church hindering progress: the church officially admitted only in the nineteen seventies or eighties, or maybe the nineties, that they were wrong in their treatment of the teachings of Galileo Galilei.

This came 500 years after circumnavigation of the globe, after 100 years of hot air ballooning around the round earth, after 80 years of airplane travel, after 20 years of observing the earth from space, and after about 300-400 years of near complete and near precise knowledge of the nature of the solar system.

As the great writer and social critic Yaroslav Haczech put it, "the Holy Roman Catholic Church does not oppose progress, but it considers it its duty to keep it in check."
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

-1- wrote: June 17th, 2018, 12:15 am
ReasonMadeFlesh wrote: June 16th, 2018, 1:39 pm
Speak for yourself ****. The church (the real church) is far from stupid. Folly only arose when the laity made attempts to interpret scripture. And whoever denies biological evolution is a dumbass. The one true Catholic church affirms evolution and you can even infer it in some ways from scripture.
I know that the Roman Catholic Church accepts the doctrine (they can only talk in terms of doctrines) of evolution but only from the point of creation of the world six thousand years ago (give or take).

If you did not have a lazy eye, you would have noticed that I said that it's the North American Evangelistic communities aniong the Christian sects that fight the theory of evolution.

I admit that my wording was ambiguous.

You will know what I mean by the Church hindering progress: the church officially admitted only in the nineteen seventies or eighties, or maybe the nineties, that they were wrong in their treatment of the teachings of Galileo Galilei.

This came 500 years after circumnavigation of the globe, after 100 years of hot air ballooning around the round earth, after 80 years of airplane travel, after 20 years of observing the earth from space, and after about 300-400 years of near complete and near precise knowledge of the nature of the solar system.

As the great writer and social critic Yaroslav Haczech put it, "the Holy Roman Catholic Church does not oppose progress, but it considers it its duty to keep it in check."
The RC church is like a small yappy dog that runs, barking, after the omnibus of progress but does not know how to buy a ticket to get on.
-1-

Post by -1- »

ThomasHobbes wrote: June 17th, 2018, 6:40 am The RC church is like a small yappy dog that runs, barking, after the omnibus of progress but does not know how to buy a ticket to get on.
All omniscient and omnipotent beings who live up to their own standards would rather die than take the bus.Their practice is to take only the omnibus.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
Wayne92587
Favorite Philosopher: Hermese Trismegistus

Post by Wayne92587 »

The use of metaphors, technical terms, not only convolute, pervert, distort, natural language, the meaning of the subject, but also the natural meaning of the metaphor itself.

Isis exists not only because of Religion but also because of the perversion of the meaning of Manliness.

Man in gereral, but more so the Fundamentalist Muslim Male has a perverted, distorted sense of Manliness.

The Fundamentalist Muslim Male because of his machismo, being sick in the head, sic,sic,sic; being a Man Beast, a Male Chauvinistic Pig; this chauvinism is carried into every aspect of daily life.

The Fundamentalist Muslim Female wearing Black and walking to the left and the rear of the Muslim Male.

The Fundamentalist Muslim Malewearing white, riding upon a white horse, going about to kill and to concur.

Black and White having more meaning than just being a color; Good and Evil.

The survival of the fittest the Fundamentalist Muslim Male can show his enemy no mercy, even though the God of Islam being a merciful God.

Mercy being Feminine, is rejected.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream