Can we trust our perceptions to tell us what's real?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Next time you board a plane, take a window seat. After you get settled in, peer out the porthole window. Now try to imagine that this porthole is your ONLY connection to reality; in other words, imagine that this porthole is your own private, personal view of reality. Now, as you look out through this porthole, do you see those baggage and food service people loading the plane?, ...are they 'real'?

Side note: 'real' is defined here as that which exists with 'certainty'; independent of one's perceivings.

Almost automatically (and maybe a bit belligerently) most of us would say "Don't be absurd, of course they're real!". ...especially since we just saw them in (so-called) "real life" while boarding the plane! Okay, okay, but now, try to imagine that you have ALWAYS existed behind this porthole, and have NEVER-EVER experienced the world outside this porthole. ...are you still as certain?

Tap on the glass, ...is there something that separates 'you', from those 'objects' out there?

Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Re: Can we trust our perceptions to tell us what's real?

Post by Eduk »

Under such circumstances then I'm sure you would question their reality. Being trapped and ignored on a plane would likely be very damaging, not to mention lack of teaching and subsequent lack of brain development.
However if it is a question of trust in our perceptions then I think I can answer to some extent.
When I was learning to walk the concept of trust in my perception never occurred to me. I simply did the best I could. Over time I learned to balance and not fall and hurt myself. I learned to move and reach a target, etc etc. If my perception of reality in no way matched reality then the reality of never reaching my goal and always being bruised may never occur to me but I would not flourish.
As I grow more sophisticated I can measure reality using various tools. These then demonstrate where my perception fails me and I can adjust, this is a process.
Unknown means unknown.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Not always.
But since our perceptions are all we have, we inevitably construct our realities from those perceptions and the interpretations of them that we are given and develop.
This is unavoidable.
The alternative is locking yourself in a dark box, sound proof, temperature proof... better still - cut all nervous connections to the brain, and then you will be free of those perceptions.
I would not recommend that course of action.
The minimum you would have to perceive is your own heartbeat. Can you trust that?
Father
New Trial Member

Post by Father »

This is sort of similar to a question I have been asking myself lately: Say you have a green cube sitting on a table in front of you. It’s about four inches tall, four inches wide and four inches deep. This cube would be “real”. You could push it on the table, pick it up, throw it across the room, etc... Now say that someone had a way to alter your mind in any way they chose, making another green cube appear on the table. This green cube would be “fake”, just a hallucination, even though it would have exactly the same characteristics as the other green cube on the table (touch taste smell etc...). When you pushed it it would move the same way as the “real” cube, when you picked it up you would feel it’s weight, and when you threw it it would travel through the air exactly like the “real” cube. So is it really fake? And, if not, is reality just defined by the mind of the individual?
JamesOfSeattle
Premium Member

Post by JamesOfSeattle »

We can trust our perceptions to tell us what’s real to the extent that our perceptions let us predict the results of our actions. So for Father’s scenario, both cubes are equally real until we interact with someone else who thinks there is only one cube. The more people who say there is only one cube, the more credence we give to the proposition that one of the cubes is not real.

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Perception is only half of the perception/intellect continuum. Everyone is familiar with optical illusions and sleight of hand and CGI, so we "know" more than we can perceive.
"As usual... it depends."
RJG

Post by RJG »

Eduk wrote:If my perception of reality in no way matched reality then the reality of never reaching my goal and always being bruised may never occur to me but I would not flourish.
Didn't you just perceive "reaching your goal", and perceive "being bruised"? And therefore aren't these are just more perceptions?

Father wrote:So is it really fake? And, if not, is reality just defined by the mind of the individual?
ThomasHobbes wrote:But since our perceptions are all we have, we inevitably construct our realities from those perceptions and the interpretations of them that we are given and develop.
If our perceptions are "all we have", then is it possible to know (the 'real') reality?

JamesOfSeattle wrote:We can trust our perceptions to tell us what’s real to the extent that our perceptions let us predict the results of our actions.
But aren't the perceivings of our "actions" and the "results of our actions" just MORE perceptions?

LuckyR wrote:Perception is only half of the perception/intellect continuum. Everyone is familiar with optical illusions and sleight of hand and CGI, so we "know" more than we can perceive.
But aren't these "knowings" (i.e. the perceivings of our perceptions) still again just perceptions themselves?

Perceptions cannot logically vouch for themselves, and therefore cannot be trusted to tell us what's real.

The table that I 'perceive' in front of me, may be a 'real' object. I can only perceive my 'perceptions' (mental impressions) of this supposed object. But this does not mean that the table does 'not' exist. I may be dreaming/hallucinating, or my perceptions may be spot on, and accurately represent the 'real' table. In either case (real or not-real) I have no way of perceiving beyond my perceptions to know if my perceptions are lying to me.

All I know is what my perceptions tell me, and therefore have NO WAY to vouch for the truthfulness of these perceptions.
Last edited by RJG on June 10th, 2018, 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RJG

Post by RJG »

And furthermore, claiming that our perceptions are of 'real' things because our 'perceptions' tell us so, is non-sensical; (not logically sound). (Example: the ghost that I experienced last night told me he was real, therefore the ghost is real -- is not logically sound, nor rationally valid).

Perceptions cannot logically vouch for themselves, and therefore cannot be trusted to tell us what's real.

I suspect that most people believe their perceptions are of real things because of a life long of indoctrination, ...even though there is absolutely no rational justification to believe such.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

RJG wrote: June 10th, 2018, 12:09 pm
ThomasHobbes wrote:But since our perceptions are all we have, we inevitably construct our realities from those perceptions and the interpretations of them that we are given and develop.
If our perceptions are "all we have", then is it possible to know (the 'real') reality?
Who says the "real" reality is a meaningful idea, or achievable?
Surely such an idea is a myth by those who've not really thought it through.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Rjg you quoted me but seem not to have read what you quoted? I specifically said, in the quote, that one may never realise. So yes they are more perceptions, but what was my conclusion?
Unknown means unknown.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

RJG wrote: June 10th, 2018, 12:39 pm And furthermore, claiming that our perceptions are of 'real' things because our 'perceptions' tell us so, is non-sensical; (not logically sound). (Example: the ghost that I experienced last night told me he was real, therefore the ghost is real -- is not logically sound, nor rationally valid).

I suspect that most people believe their perceptions are of real things because of a life long of indoctrination, ...even though there is absolutely no rational justification to believe such.
Most people have no problem with the difference between waking and sleeping perceptions.
RJG

Post by RJG »

ThomasHobbes wrote:Who says the "real" reality is a meaningful idea, or achievable?
Surely such an idea is a myth by those who've not really thought it through.
So then, do you deny a 'real' reality exists out there? I think we can prove at least 'something' out there exists with certainty, ...right? I don't think we can deny that the perceiving (experiencing) itself exists (with absolute certainty!)? If so, then we'd have to also deny our experience of denying.

It is the 'content' of one's experience/perception that is suspect and in question, ...not the experiencing/perceiving itself.

Eduk wrote:Rjg you quoted me but seem not to have read what you quoted? I specifically said, in the quote, that one may never realise. So yes they are more perceptions, but what was my conclusion?
Hi Eduk, I apologize if I misinterpreted your comments. But your conclusion states "I can measure reality using various tools" which seemingly implies that you have a means to perceive (a 'real') reality (so as to then measure it). Again, my apologies if I misunderstood.

RJG wrote:And furthermore, claiming that our perceptions are of 'real' things because our 'perceptions' tell us so, is non-sensical; (not logically sound). (Example: the ghost that I experienced last night told me he was real, therefore the ghost is real -- is not logically sound, nor rationally valid).

ThomasHobbes wrote:Most people have no problem with the difference between waking and sleeping perceptions.
Maybe so. But can we tell which waking perceptions are of real things and which are not?

Since we humans are limited, and can only perceive 'mental impressions' (perceptions), and can only experience 'experiences' (sensations), how on earth do we know which perceptions/sensations correspond to actual real things?

...do we let our perceptions tell us which perceptions are real? ...do we let the suspect himself tell us if he is guilty or not (real or not)?
JamesOfSeattle
Premium Member

Post by JamesOfSeattle »

RJG wrote: June 10th, 2018, 12:09 pmBut aren't the perceivings of our "actions" and the "results of our actions" just MORE perceptions?
Yes, the perceptions of our actions and the perceptions of the results of our actions are perceptions.
But perceptions can vouch for prior perceptions, and they can vouch for prior predictions. If I perceive a table in front of me, I can predict a number of perceptions to come when I kick said table. Those predictions may or may not come true in the event, but to the extent they do come true, I have reason to say those predictions were based on reality. My certainty or knowledge is never 100%, but there is a social convention that if the certainty reaches, say, 95%, we can say we have knowledge of reality. That does not mean we have complete knowledge of reality. It means we have sufficient knowledge of reality.

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

RJG wrote: June 10th, 2018, 12:09 pm
LuckyR wrote:Perception is only half of the perception/intellect continuum. Everyone is familiar with optical illusions and sleight of hand and CGI, so we "know" more than we can perceive.
But aren't these "knowings" (i.e. the perceivings of our perceptions) still again just perceptions themselves?
No. Perceptions are data coming into the computational center. The use of this data, or perhaps the decision to not believe a particular perception is an intellectual process, not more perception (raw data from sense organs).
"As usual... it depends."
Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Post by Mark1955 »

LuckyR wrote: June 10th, 2018, 2:49 am Perception is only half of the perception/intellect continuum. Everyone is familiar with optical illusions and sleight of hand and CGI, so we "know" more than we can perceive.
I'd suggest the opposite, since we are aware we cannot trust our perceptions all our knowledge may be simply false belief based on erroneous perception.

Example a hyper-intelligent species [by human standards] have the ability to construct a neural net of the minds of a lesser species such that those minds believe they are interacting in a real world. They then study the minds as part of an experiment into mental evolution. If they want to study the evolution of religious ideas they implant certain ideas into an individual's head by way of 'dreams', he writes a popular book and off we go.............
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream