How can we believe our senses?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
SisyphusHappy
New Trial Member

How can we believe our senses?

Post by SisyphusHappy »

The thought has been haunting me for quite a while, and is terrifying in itself. Honestly, the very nature of the question I have would make it impossible for me to take your replies. However, I do need to get this off my mind, and at the same time I am betting on the (better) possibility. For my sanity. But I digress. Onwards.

First, are you aware of certain hallucinogenics or psychedelics, drugs such as 'shrooms or LSD? If not, these drugs have (to a lesser extent) the ability to shroud your perception and senses, making you "perceive" what isn't there. From what I've heard, a man on shrooms might even think he's sleeping at home, while he's lying down in a sewage pipe covered in defecate. (if anyone has proof or information refuting, please provide the information. I'd like to know more about this.) Apparently, the effects can range from simple visual effects to a skewed sense of time and changed perception of reality. This raised its own red flags for me, and several questions popped up. Are the perceived senses enough to physically restrain us? If I perceive a wall where there isn't any, then will I still be able to walk through it? And, will the effects of these drugs slowly become inefficient and therefore, more and more quantity of the drug would have to be taken to have the same effect? Is it possible for the drug to lose all of its potency?
Now, just imagine you're a caged monkey, an "experiment" if you will, and the "experimenters" keep you on these drugs 24/7. Your perceived reality is completely controlled, and most importantly, fake. You sleep in a house that doesn't exist. You have friends that don't exist. You eat food that isn't real. And yet you can't tell.
Now, the idea above is quite moronic, seeing as it is not viable AT ALL, at least considering the state of the earth as we know it is true. But, my paranoia is really another case, a viable one, and that makes it worse - I can't use logic and rationality to drive away the thought. Or maybe my rationality has been distorted from the paranoia? Either way, I'd like your input - worst case scenario, I'm asking people who don't exist and get answers that aren't there, so I'm really just asking my subconscious for answers. Which is fine. In the best case scenario, I'm just paranoid and you all can allay my fears.

Now, really, this is just conjecture and nothing can be said to prove or disprove it, making it nothing but hypothesis. It's just another idea. I don't truly believe that the hypothesis is true, I'm simply saying that considering the possibility itself is terrifying to the extreme.

Let's assume that our world, or our earth, isn't real - it's a figment of someone's imagination as a result of a drug induced hallucination. From my perspective, it's obviously me that's real. From yours, its you. Now, the "drug" they're using, is something we know nothing about as we know nothing of their natural laws, the properties of their world, and so on. So as we exist in a "drug" induced stupor, they study the effects of the drugs, of perceived reality, of a universe with different natural laws.

There's the motive. I just need your input, add what you feel should be added, and above all - don't be afraid to question everything, and point out stupidity that I might have left in somehow.

Thanks.
Wayne92587
Favorite Philosopher: Hermese Trismegistus

Re: How can we believe our senses?

Post by Wayne92587 »

Nothing is absolute, however, the Rational Mind allows us to make rational judgments.

Of course, the Rational Mind is the thing we must fear most when comes to Illusions of Reality, Absolutely Bad Knowledge being guileful, being duplicitous, a Natural Born Liar

Absolutely Band Knowledge having a dual quality is better known to be The Knowledge of Good and Evil.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Simply view this from an emotional perspective. What feels right to you? What is “good” to you? Follow the good and don’t fret about the multitude of possibilities presented by the vast revelation of infinity, a concept we’re perpetually wrangling with and also trying to ignore becasue of our lack of intuitive understanding.

If you believe you see a baby alone and crying in the street do you go to its aid or walk on? What would you wish you were to do in that situation? Whatever road you choose know it, realise it and keep to it until you see fit to do otherwise.

Questions of reality and solipsism usually go hand in hand with a previously buried problem which one does not, or cannot, directly face right now. Simply navigate as best you can and be responsible about how you go about the tiny little things in your life. Plunging into existential crisis and address your hidden nihilistic tendencies is deeply painful and doing so blindly or willfully is no easier route, nor is avoiding such a task necessarily the best thing to do.

It’s your journey. Figure out as best you can and avoid stagnation and the excuses you use to hold yourself back. You’ll die over and over if you live, but if don’t die you’ll never be alive. Step out into the world, dip your toe into the pool (no need to plunge in head first!) be cautious by all means, but don’t neglect your bold nature to venture forth and explore and suffer, and fall and rise again from the ashes like the phoenix of fables old.

Fear is not real, danger is real. Don’t mistaken one for the other and the best way to assess them is to stick your head out. Everything in life or any worth is painfully received. If you’ve worked yourself up into such a state you can be pretty sure your imagined nightmare scenario is nowhere near as bad as the possible reality, yet also (in some darkened corners of the cosmological chasm that is human existence) also a picnic compared to the vile trove other claim as “just reason” and/or “justified action.”

Just remember that you like things and enjoy things. Respect that (meaning watch out for the beast of hedonism - there are monsters everywhere, but to my knowledge it is possible to tame them all, if not understand them.)
AKA badgerjelly
Felix

Post by Felix »

Well, that's the old brain in a vat argument, or Plato's shadows on the cave wall allegory, which was modernized in the Matrix movies.

In yoga, it is said that the enlightened person is one who has woken up from the sensory dream, i.e., realized that material reality is a semi-conscious, non-lucid dream, and that is it's goal: to transcend the senses and experience the ultimate reality, which is nontemporal, or I should say, much more than temporal.
First, are you aware of certain hallucinogenics or psychedelics, drugs such as 'shrooms or LSD? If not, these drugs have (to a lesser extent) the ability to shroud your perception and senses, making you "perceive" what isn't there. From what I've heard, a man on shrooms might even think he's sleeping at home, while he's lying down in a sewage pipe covered in defecate.
It's actually like a lucid dream, you know you're dreaming, but then you have the memory of your non-drug altered state of awareness to compare it to, just as you have your dream state to compare to your waking state of consciousness. If you lacked that, then indeed you'd have no reason to doubt the veracity of the dream reality. But in a lucid dream, you have more control over your reality, not less.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

SisyphusHappy wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 11:06 am The thought has been haunting me for quite a while, and is terrifying in itself. Honestly, the very nature of the question I have would make it impossible for me to take your replies. However, I do need to get this off my mind, and at the same time I am betting on the (better) possibility. For my sanity. But I digress. Onwards.

First, are you aware of certain hallucinogenics or psychedelics, drugs such as 'shrooms or LSD? If not, these drugs have (to a lesser extent) the ability to shroud your perception and senses, making you "perceive" what isn't there. From what I've heard, a man on shrooms might even think he's sleeping at home, while he's lying down in a sewage pipe covered in defecate. (if anyone has proof or information refuting, please provide the information. I'd like to know more about this.) Apparently, the effects can range from simple visual effects to a skewed sense of time and changed perception of reality. This raised its own red flags for me, and several questions popped up. Are the perceived senses enough to physically restrain us? If I perceive a wall where there isn't any, then will I still be able to walk through it? And, will the effects of these drugs slowly become inefficient and therefore, more and more quantity of the drug would have to be taken to have the same effect? Is it possible for the drug to lose all of its potency?
Now, just imagine you're a caged monkey, an "experiment" if you will, and the "experimenters" keep you on these drugs 24/7. Your perceived reality is completely controlled, and most importantly, fake. You sleep in a house that doesn't exist. You have friends that don't exist. You eat food that isn't real. And yet you can't tell.
Now, the idea above is quite moronic, seeing as it is not viable AT ALL, at least considering the state of the earth as we know it is true. But, my paranoia is really another case, a viable one, and that makes it worse - I can't use logic and rationality to drive away the thought. Or maybe my rationality has been distorted from the paranoia? Either way, I'd like your input - worst case scenario, I'm asking people who don't exist and get answers that aren't there, so I'm really just asking my subconscious for answers. Which is fine. In the best case scenario, I'm just paranoid and you all can allay my fears.

Now, really, this is just conjecture and nothing can be said to prove or disprove it, making it nothing but hypothesis. It's just another idea. I don't truly believe that the hypothesis is true, I'm simply saying that considering the possibility itself is terrifying to the extreme.

Let's assume that our world, or our earth, isn't real - it's a figment of someone's imagination as a result of a drug induced hallucination. From my perspective, it's obviously me that's real. From yours, its you. Now, the "drug" they're using, is something we know nothing about as we know nothing of their natural laws, the properties of their world, and so on. So as we exist in a "drug" induced stupor, they study the effects of the drugs, of perceived reality, of a universe with different natural laws.

There's the motive. I just need your input, add what you feel should be added, and above all - don't be afraid to question everything, and point out stupidity that I might have left in somehow.

Thanks.
That's not how hallucinogenics work. They alter what is there, as opposed to introducing things that aren't. In addition, unlike narcotics, over time less and less of a dosage is required to achieve the same effect.
"As usual... it depends."
Felix

Post by Felix »

They alter what is there, as opposed to introducing things that aren't.
Not true, powerful hallucinogens such as DMT can indeed "introduce things that are not there," they can be like entering an alternate reality. Some say they actually can be a doorway to an alternate reality.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

LuckyR -

Incorrect, but also correct. The stimuli doesn’t have to be “external,” much like with dream states. They are bery much like waking dreams and most cetainly often interact with the actual world as it is at that time, to completely.
AKA badgerjelly
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Felix wrote: June 28th, 2018, 1:17 pm It's actually like a lucid dream, you know you're dreaming, but then you have the memory of your non-drug altered state of awareness to compare it to, just as you have your dream state to compare to your waking state of consciousness. If you lacked that, then indeed you'd have no reason to doubt the veracity of the dream reality. But in a lucid dream, you have more control over your reality, not less.
It depends on the dosage and your particular reaction, but you may not have any memory, during the trip, of other states of consciousness or even your usual identity. You may also consider what you are experiencing as real, and you may continue to believe this afterwards. In part, or all of it. That it is a deeper reality or that you now see reality in a newer more correct way.

This is not how I experience most lucid dreams.

At low doses or when you have certain attitudes and paradigms - that manage to keep hold despite the experience - you may well experience the trip like a lucid dream, though I think this is rare for the whole experience. Even low doses will give you compelling experiences that you take as real - and of course may also be real, I believe - for shorter periods of time.

Self-talk may lessen this or not. Or you may not be able to self-talk during that time. Sometimes you notice something odd, accept it, then after a while realize - wait a minute, I don't usually believe in those things - and you pop into what you are making analagous to lucidity. But for a time you took it as real. (and sadly might have been right then, not later when you became 'lucid')
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Felix wrote: June 29th, 2018, 4:49 am
They alter what is there, as opposed to introducing things that aren't.
Not true, powerful hallucinogens such as DMT can indeed "introduce things that are not there," they can be like entering an alternate reality. Some say they actually can be a doorway to an alternate reality.
I apologize for being incomplete. True hallucinogenics can show things that are not there right now, but they can't introduce subject matter that are not in memory, nor imagination. Of course everyone knows they can distort any of these subjects as a separate issue.
"As usual... it depends."
mr533473

Post by mr533473 »

"Let's assume that our world, or our earth, isn't real - it's a figment of someone's imagination as a result of a drug induced hallucination. From my perspective, it's obviously me that's real. From yours, its you. Now, the "drug" they're using, is something we know nothing about as we know nothing of their natural laws, the properties of their world, and so on. So as we exist in a "drug" induced stupor, they study the effects of the drugs, of perceived reality, of a universe with different natural laws."

In response to what you pose here, without getting into the effects of hallucinogens, I fail to see how anything would be different for you even if this were true. What I mean is that given that in the scenario you've laid out, you identify as real (like you do now), so do others (like we do now) and we're all unaware of the exact nature of our existence (like we all are now). The only thing you introduce here is an explanation for our existence which can neither be proved nor disproved. This would not call for you to cease "believing" in your senses as you still experience them and the impressions and ideas that result from them. The earth you speak of is the same as it has ever was, although it's somehow induced by an alien's hallucination.

Why up against your sensible reality you consider this highly improbable idea any kind of competition is beyond me. You might be able to give me a little more insight into how this idea is manifested so strongly and persists even though you say you want it off your mind. If somehow you knew your "hypothesis" to be true, what would change? what would you change?

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream