What is the beginning of Knowledge?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Wayne92587
Favorite Philosopher: Hermese Trismegistus

Re: What is the beginning of Knowledge?

Post by Wayne92587 » July 15th, 2018, 1:26 am

Knowledge begins with a Question Mark?

Wayne92587
Favorite Philosopher: Hermese Trismegistus

Post by Wayne92587 » July 15th, 2018, 1:28 am

Knowledge begins by answering a question.

ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes » July 15th, 2018, 4:19 am

Wayne92587 wrote:
July 15th, 2018, 1:28 am
Without knowledge, questioning is not possible.

Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel » July 15th, 2018, 5:40 am

Mosesquine wrote:
July 14th, 2018, 11:50 pm
Karpel Tunnel wrote:
July 14th, 2018, 6:59 pm

So you see what we would call a red triangle in front of you. I don't see how you can conclude that it is in front of you, that there is a you, how the ideas of objects being seen by a subject come up, where one is supposed to focus, etc.

The main point so far is how we know something by sensations. It is one of the topics in epistemology, i.e. philosophy of knowledge or theories of knowledge. The topics about how objects look like to us, and about how we see objects are ones of the topics in philosophy of perception, and in cognitive science.
Sure, me know what epistemology is. Me wonder how experienced sensations lead to knowledge, even questions.
I am giving little pushes towards intention, assumptions (even wrong ones), desire and exploring being necessary to have knowledge.
You cannot just sense and gain knowledge. You gotta have goals and heuristics. even if the goal is 'I want less discomfort'

Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel » July 15th, 2018, 6:11 am

ThomasHobbes wrote:
July 15th, 2018, 4:19 am
Wayne92587 wrote:
July 15th, 2018, 1:28 am
I agree. On the other hand, is knowledge possible without intention, exploring, desire and assumptions? IOW a motion that could be, in a very broad sense, be called questioning or at least, seeking to know.

Mosesquine

Post by Mosesquine » July 15th, 2018, 9:06 am

Karpel Tunnel wrote:
July 15th, 2018, 5:40 am
Mosesquine wrote:
July 14th, 2018, 11:50 pm

The main point so far is how we know something by sensations. It is one of the topics in epistemology, i.e. philosophy of knowledge or theories of knowledge. The topics about how objects look like to us, and about how we see objects are ones of the topics in philosophy of perception, and in cognitive science.
Sure, me know what epistemology is. Me wonder how experienced sensations lead to knowledge, even questions.
I am giving little pushes towards intention, assumptions (even wrong ones), desire and exploring being necessary to have knowledge.
You cannot just sense and gain knowledge. You gotta have goals and heuristics. even if the goal is 'I want less discomfort'

Your question seems to be a question asking how perceptual knowledge obtained by sensations is justified. There are some traditions called naturalized epistemology such that the conditions of knowing that p can be established without justified in believing that p. Some keywords are recommended to be checked out: naturalized epistemology, reliabilism, externalism/internalism.

ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes » July 15th, 2018, 9:43 am

Karpel Tunnel wrote:
July 15th, 2018, 6:11 am
ThomasHobbes wrote:
July 15th, 2018, 4:19 am

I agree. On the other hand, is knowledge possible without intention, exploring, desire and assumptions? IOW a motion that could be, in a very broad sense, be called questioning or at least, seeking to know.
As has already been mentioned we come equipped with some knowledge, and the potential to learn more.