Is intuition a legitimate sense?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
ThomasHobbes

Re: Is intuition a legitimate sense?

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Consul wrote: August 13th, 2018, 2:48 pm
ThomasHobbes wrote: August 13th, 2018, 2:05 pmBecause we no longer have to simply argue from experience. We have more scientific and empirical evidence. In Kant's time the brain was a total mystery.
The good old question as to what epistemic sources of belief-justification and knowledge there are is still with us. Obviously, the central source in empirical science is sensory perception/observation. (In psychology there is also introspection.)
There is also a greater understanding of constructive perception, and interesting studies in witness evidence that has shed light on how we build our world from our expectations.
JamesOfSeattle
Premium Member

Post by JamesOfSeattle »

Would it make any difference to this discussion to say that pure, non-sensory intuition becomes conscious in exactly the same way that sensory perception becomes conscious, and so is similar to the senses in the way it comes into consciousness?

Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Consul wrote: August 13th, 2018, 2:48 pm Obviously, the central source in empirical science is sensory perception/observation. (In psychology there is also introspection.)
But then we choose where to observe and in what conditions, and in some sense have done this since birth, when we chose to focus on a face more than a pillow. And merely observing, I can't see how this would ever building up knowledge, alone. Something has to be sifting.

And then some people are better at deciding where to observe. This might be because of what they observed before, but often they are not conscious of exactly why they chose that line of observation and repitition. Sometimes, yes, it comes from trying out deductively reached hypotheses from current models. But there are people who are good at making leaps. It seems to me that is still black boxed.
Wayne92587
Favorite Philosopher: Hermese Trismegistus

Post by Wayne92587 »

no longer have to simply argue from experience. We have more scientific and empirical evidence
I believe that intuition is a legitimate sense.
course, intuition is not always intuitive.

Some intuitive thought is illusional.

The Third Eye, sometimes called the Evil Eye causing mankind to act without thinking, the source of intuition.

Not all Realities are readily apparent, are not measurable as to location and momentum in Space-Time.

Intuition is to have a sense of these Realities without learning of them through experience.

I do not believe that Rationalization can be considered to be intuition.

Rationalization requires thought, Intuition does not.

Intuition may not recognize the subject for what it truly is, giving it a false name, identity.

I would say that the belief in God is intuitive.

There is something that exists, a Singularity from which the Heavens and the Earth, the Universe, the Reality of Everything that exists in the material sense of the word
was born.

As of late, the closest that Science has come to giving a correct name to this something is nothingness, The Great Void, The Darkness upon the Deep.

If man were to look upon the face of God he would be struck blind, for he would see nothing.

Intuition could be said to be a flash of insight, a person may have no idea where the thought came from, maybe from somewhere far-out in left field, or perhaps out of the clear blue sky, or appearing as if by magic.

Some believe that his or her muse gives them the insight.

A thought that you do not know the source of.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Thinking critical: Precognition doesn't require an explanation as it is pseudoscience. As with all unfalsifiable claims precognition relies on ad hoc justification as a means to support it's own claims. Such claims have been debunked time and time again and can be demonstrated to be nothing more than mentalism, illusions and tricks.
Let me give you a concrete example: I do not have a fear of flying, but I have a strong anxiety about taking a particular plane flight I had booked. From past experience, I have learned to recognize this feeling as a warning not to proceed with the action I am contemplating. I do not get on the plane, and later I learn that the plane crashed.

Explain to me how this is an "accumulation of what my five senses have perceived"?
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Post by Mark1955 »

Felix wrote: August 22nd, 2018, 4:05 pm
Thinking critical: Precognition doesn't require an explanation as it is pseudoscience. As with all unfalsifiable claims precognition relies on ad hoc justification as a means to support it's own claims. Such claims have been debunked time and time again and can be demonstrated to be nothing more than mentalism, illusions and tricks.
Let me give you a concrete example: I do not have a fear of flying, but I have a strong anxiety about taking a particular plane flight I had booked. From past experience, I have learned to recognize this feeling as a warning not to proceed with the action I am contemplating. I do not get on the plane, and later I learn that the plane crashed.

Explain to me how this is an "accumulation of what my five senses have perceived"?
You say you recognise the feeling so it's occurred before. Now have you written down a list of every time you've had the feeling [at the time it occured] and the result, was your 'feeling' justified. Can you then analyse the data for a success percentage. If the answer is no then you are suffering from confirmation bias, you only remember the instances when your feeling was justified. The mind is not very clever it likes to solve problems with simples answers which it can apply to future situations. Sadly life isn't so simple or repetitive which is why we get so many things wrong.
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.
Felix

Post by Felix »

You say you recognize the feeling so it's occurred before. Now have you written down a list of every time you've had the feeling [at the time it occurred] and the result, was your 'feeling' justified. Can you then analyse the data for a success percentage.
Well, this very strong "fight or flight" sort of feeling is a rare occurrence, has only happened to me twice in my life, but in those two instances it was an accurate weather vane. Weaker versions of the feeling, i.e., a vague uneasiness about doing something, have occurred more often but have been less reliable indicators. I suppose I could construct a bell curve on them.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Felix wrote: August 22nd, 2018, 4:29 pm
You say you recognize the feeling so it's occurred before. Now have you written down a list of every time you've had the feeling [at the time it occurred] and the result, was your 'feeling' justified. Can you then analyse the data for a success percentage.
Well, this very strong "fight or flight" sort of feeling is a rare occurrence, has only happened to me twice in my life, but in those two instances it was an accurate weather vane. Weaker versions of the feeling, i.e., a vague uneasiness about doing something, have occurred more often but have been less reliable indicators. I suppose I could construct a bell curve on them.
I personally think it is a very good idea to follow these "feelings". The mind is very good at pattern recognition, so through passive observation over a lifetime, the subconscious will warn the conscious mind when it recognizes a pattern that has led to a negative outcome in the past. The conscious mind is unaware of the pattern, the analysis or likely the historical events that made up the pattern.
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

I agree, Lucky. As we all know, the nervous system absorbs and incredible amount of impressions, and the brain filters those impressions down to comprehensibility.

It's assumed that the brain simply discards all of the excess information but it's possible that a general impression of the "discarded information" is gleaned and this manifests as instinct. Unconscious knowledge that we don't know we possess until a suitable trigger unlocks it.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Greta wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 5:16 am I agree, Lucky. As we all know, the nervous system absorbs and incredible amount of impressions, and the brain filters those impressions down to comprehensibility.

It's assumed that the brain simply discards all of the excess information but it's possible that a general impression of the "discarded information" is gleaned and this manifests as instinct. Unconscious knowledge that we don't know we possess until a suitable trigger unlocks it.
You seem to be saying that "instinct" is something we store up from our experience.

"Instinct" is more usually assigned to skills we possess without ANY experience at all. They are the inborn features that each of us has due to genetic alone; such as a baby's ability to seek a nipple, or how a dog knows to shake its head when it has pray in its mouth. These baselines sets of pre-knowledge can be modified, but we call that learning.
Instincts are innate behaviours shared throughout a species.
For example when a human has a baby the release of hormones triggers an innate genetically defined "maternal instinct". It also explains the sex drive and many other non-rational responses.
Thinking critical
Favorite Philosopher: A.C Grayling

Post by Thinking critical »

Felix wrote: August 22nd, 2018, 4:05 pm

I'm certainly not questioning your experience, I accept that lots of people have these inclinations or feelings that potentially something undesirable (or desirable) is going to happen and then it comes to fruition. The fact that events seemingly coincide with each other now and again is not overly remarkable, it is in fact a statistical probability that sometimes, some people, will think of something that ends up happening. These moments may appear significant in hindsight, however people think, hope and have feelings or inclinations about things all the time, then when nothing comes of it the thought is often forgotten.

If this was something that people could do consistenly on command, then my scepticism would start to reside.

Furthermore when we examine the actual nature of the claim itself, to say that humans posses the ability to accurately predict the future, this would consequently force science to rewrite all most ever book that has ever been written regarding, biology, neurology and physics. If people do posses such abilities I wander why no one ever predicts natural disasters, mass shootings and terrorist attacks?
This cocky little cognitive contortionist will straighten you right out
Consul

Post by Consul »

LuckyR wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 1:59 amI personally think it is a very good idea to follow these "feelings".
What philosophers mean by "intuition" has nothing to do with (gut) feelings.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

ThomasHobbes wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 5:41 am
Greta wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 5:16 am I agree, Lucky. As we all know, the nervous system absorbs and incredible amount of impressions, and the brain filters those impressions down to comprehensibility.

You seem to be saying that "instinct" is something we store up from our experience.

"Instinct" is more usually assigned to skills we possess without ANY experience at all. They are the inborn features that each of us has due to genetic alone; such as a baby's ability to seek a nipple, or how a dog knows to shake its head when it has pray in its mouth. These baselines sets of pre-knowledge can be modified, but we call that learning.
Instincts are innate behaviours shared throughout a species.
For example when a human has a baby the release of hormones triggers an innate genetically defined "maternal instinct". It also explains the sex drive and many other non-rational responses.
I completely agree, though others are also addressing the above situations, therefore I commented as well.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Consul wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 8:25 am
LuckyR wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 1:59 amI personally think it is a very good idea to follow these "feelings".
What philosophers mean by "intuition" has nothing to do with (gut) feelings.
Don't stop now, please enlighten us as to "what philosophers mean".
Aragwen
New Trial Member

Post by Aragwen »

1.“Judgment that is not made on the basis of some kind of observable and explicit reasoning process”
2.“An intellectual happening whereby it seems that something is the case without arising from reasoning, or sensorial perceiving, or remembering.”

I believe these are the most widely used beliefs used by philosophers as to what intuition is.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream