Is intuition a legitimate sense?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Is intuition a legitimate sense?

Post by Sy Borg »

ThomasHobbes wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 5:41 am
Greta wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 5:16 am I agree, Lucky. As we all know, the nervous system absorbs and incredible amount of impressions, and the brain filters those impressions down to comprehensibility.

It's assumed that the brain simply discards all of the excess information but it's possible that a general impression of the "discarded information" is gleaned and this manifests as instinct. Unconscious knowledge that we don't know we possess until a suitable trigger unlocks it.
You seem to be saying that "instinct" is something we store up from our experience.

"Instinct" is more usually assigned to skills we possess without ANY experience at all. They are the inborn features that each of us has due to genetic alone; such as a baby's ability to seek a nipple, or how a dog knows to shake its head when it has pray in its mouth. These baselines sets of pre-knowledge can be modified, but we call that learning.
Instincts are innate behaviours shared throughout a species.
For example when a human has a baby the release of hormones triggers an innate genetically defined "maternal instinct". It also explains the sex drive and many other non-rational responses.
My mistake, I wrote "instinct" instead of "intuition".
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Greta wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 4:05 pm
ThomasHobbes wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 5:41 am

You seem to be saying that "instinct" is something we store up from our experience.

"Instinct" is more usually assigned to skills we possess without ANY experience at all. They are the inborn features that each of us has due to genetic alone; such as a baby's ability to seek a nipple, or how a dog knows to shake its head when it has pray in its mouth. These baselines sets of pre-knowledge can be modified, but we call that learning.
Instincts are innate behaviours shared throughout a species.
For example when a human has a baby the release of hormones triggers an innate genetically defined "maternal instinct". It also explains the sex drive and many other non-rational responses.
In a limited by useful way it might be possible to talk about intuitions as the experiential development of what were originally instinctive responses?
Just a thought.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Aragwen wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 4:02 pm 1.“Judgment that is not made on the basis of some kind of observable and explicit reasoning process”
2.“An intellectual happening whereby it seems that something is the case without arising from reasoning, or sensorial perceiving, or remembering.”

I believe these are the most widely used beliefs used by philosophers as to what intuition is.
I don't disagree with you, hence why I am not seeing a lot of daylight between that and the lay description of "gut feeling".
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

ThomasHobbes wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 4:40 pm
Greta wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 4:05 pm
In a limited by useful way it might be possible to talk about intuitions as the experiential development of what were originally instinctive responses?
Just a thought.
"Gut feeling", for instance, where the gut can squirm before full awareness of situations is achieved.

http://neurosciencestuff.tumblr.com/pos ... cond-brain
Felix

Post by Felix »

When I was a teenager I had a cat that I loved but whom my mother didn't like - actually it wasn't that she didn't like him, as it was difficult not to do so, he was very smart and lovable. She just didn't want a cat messing up the house. This cat had been with us for a few years and as far as I know he had never been out of our neighborhood.

One day, unbeknownst to me, she as they say, "took him for a ride," i.e., put him in her car, drove him several miles away and dropped him off somewhere (my mother could be impulsively cruel at times). I asked my older sisters, "have you seen C., he's been gone all day?!" They hadn't, nor did any of us see him for two more days.

Late on the 4th day that he'd been missing, he showed up at our back door looking dirty, hungry and exhausted. How did he find his way back to our house, through busy streets and suburbs? Intuition is the only way I can figure it.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Felix

Post by Felix »

P.S. - Afterwards, my mother felt badly about abandoning this cat and learned to love him, how can you reject a cat that walked 4 days to return to you?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Another possibility - feline super senses!
And that's why he wrote to me: while he was aware that cats have a far greater sound range and far greater sense of smell than humans, how on earth did the cat manage to successfully navigate his way back to the cat lover? When let out of the car, he could have travelled north, south, east or west. How did he manage to successfully choose the correct direction?

This is an intriguing question which science has not yet managed to completely solve. Studies have been done involving placing cats into boxes, taking them to a new location, then releasing them to see which way they go. These studies have not been entirely conclusive, but there is plenty of evidence that some cats, at least, have a remarkable sense of direction. In 2013, one cat in Florida travelled 300 miles from a family's holiday home to their normal home: this could not have happened by chance.

There are various theories as to how cats can do this. Studies have shown that some animals - such as cattle and deer - are able to align themselves in a north-south direction, indicating that they must be able to sense the Earth's magnetic fields, lining themselves up in a way that "feels right" to them. Researchers have also identified the presence of iron in mammals' inner ears, as well in the skin in various parts of the body such as the wrists and ankles. The hypothesis, yet to be proven, is that animals are able to use their own bodies like a compass, working out which direction they have come from, and which direction they are heading.

As my cat loving reader pointed out, cats also have an exquisitely delicate sense of smell, acute hearing and excellent vision. So once his innate magnetic-based sense of direction had brought the tom cat into the general vicinity of the cat lover's home, he would have been able to fine-tune his navigation by recognising smells, sounds and sights remembered from his previous visits.
https://www.independent.ie/regionals/go ... 31801.html

ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Felix wrote: August 24th, 2018, 12:04 am When I was a teenager I had a cat that I loved but whom my mother didn't like - actually it wasn't that she didn't like him, as it was difficult not to do so, he was very smart and lovable. She just didn't want a cat messing up the house. This cat had been with us for a few years and as far as I know he had never been out of our neighborhood.

One day, unbeknownst to me, she as they say, "took him for a ride," i.e., put him in her car, drove him several miles away and dropped him off somewhere (my mother could be impulsively cruel at times). I asked my older sisters, "have you seen C., he's been gone all day?!" They hadn't, nor did any of us see him for two more days.

Late on the 4th day that he'd been missing, he showed up at our back door looking dirty, hungry and exhausted. How did he find his way back to our house, through busy streets and suburbs? Intuition is the only way I can figure it.
You are not saying anything, since the concept of "intuition" is the moot point.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Feline super-senses, that makes sense (pun intended). Thank you, Greta.

I remember a cartoon that shows a girl looking at her pet cat staring off into space and saying, "there he goes again, what the heck is he staring at?!"

The cat's thought balloon is a mass of complex mathematical equations. :P
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Athletes of all kinds constantly solve a plethora of complex physics equations. Thus, the cat's equation would probably be an unconscious assessment of the distance between said cat and a crawling insect, judging the speed and trajectory of the bug, the location of the nearest crevice, the cat's own potential initial acceleration and speed from a sitting start, maybe taking into account potential forces if it slides on the slippery floor and careers into the chest of drawers, and perhaps whether its tame apes are likely to get in the way.
Wayne92587
Favorite Philosopher: Hermese Trismegistus

Post by Wayne92587 »

"instinct" instead of "intuition".

Intuition also known to be Feminine Intuition, is instinctual, at least sense woman ate of the Tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil.

Intuition is born of Reason, is a Rationalization.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow »

All of it is intuition, every conscious iota impresses itself upon awareness outside of the delimited interpretative sphere we live in is intuitively had. Scratch an itch: from whence comes the sensation? Think a thought: from whence comes the thought?

We live in intuition, i.e., transcendence.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Hereandnow wrote: September 12th, 2018, 10:36 pm All of it is intuition, every conscious iota impresses itself upon awareness outside of the delimited interpretative sphere we live in is intuitively had. Scratch an itch: from whence comes the sensation? Think a thought: from whence comes the thought?

We live in intuition, i.e., transcendence.
This, to me is the crux of the issue. One situation is: a well known and accepted origin of the thought. I introduce a new idea to you and afterwards you think about the new topic. The source is our discussion.

Other times the source is obscure and irretrievable. However, it can logically be attributed to a currently unknown but plausible source.

Instinct, however can be (retroactively) proven when there cannot be a direct source. Say the reproducible behavior of newborns etc.
"As usual... it depends."
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow »

You think the thought in a discussion, and you recall this as the source, but that discussion too rested with yet another source, some other prior discussion, and that discussion the same. Does any thought give foundational clarity to all thoughts?

It is really just thoughts verifying thoughts, but thinking itself simply comes from no identifiable source. The brain? Or is it just the thought of a brain?
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Thinking most certainly comes from the brain. That doesn't make the process understandable or simplistic though. We can remove parts of the brain and certain thought processes are no longer possible after the accident/operation/disease.

Intuition is, as faf as we know, deep unconscious activity that peeks through into consciousness fleetingly. Often this happens due to evolutionary reflexes that keep us alive - hand in a fire, we don't think about removing it because conscious processing is too slow; yet we canby force of will overide this. The "gut feeling" would seem to be some kind of low level sense of expection or unease brought on by sensory input (maybe accumulated) and manifested in a cognitively disassociated manner. The gut is a very comlplex part of the nervous system for sure!
AKA badgerjelly

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream