Can a man-made computer become conscious?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Belindi

Re: Can a man-made computer become conscious?

Post by Belindi »

JamesOfSeattle wrote:
Tamminen wrote:We are conscious but our bodies are not.
Then there is nothing I can tell you. You have made consciousness the equivalent of elan vital, a mystical magical thing that only humans can have. When strong AI comes, and two different "people" come and tell you about their suffering, their hopes and dreams, you'll have to ask for a blood sample to determine whether they are human and so have consciousness. There will literally be no other difference between their experiences.

If qualia were to be measured against a public criterion would that make James believe that qualia are both physical and mental? And that no machine at this present time qualifies its learning?

-- Updated September 11th, 2017, 6:13 am to add the following --

The ethical problem we have about AI and consciousness is insignificant compared with the problem of how to stop men becoming like machines. However in both connections quality is the key to ethics and proper morality.

James, whereas elan vital was a fallacy, quality is real.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

Tamminen wrote:We walk with our legs, see with our eyes, think with our brains...
This can also be expressed in this way: The subject-object relation is the subject's relation to the material universe. Consciousness is the subjective side of this relation and the body, as part of the material universe, is its objective side. It is one and the same relation, but there necessarily appears two conceptually incompatible layers of description, e.g. qualia vs. brain events. Therefore we have a mind-body correspondence or parallelism.
JamesOfSeattle
Premium Member

Post by JamesOfSeattle »

Belindi wrote:If qualia were to be measured against a public criterion would that make James believe that qualia are both physical and mental?
I do believe that qualia are both physical and mental: qualia are a class of physical, information processing events.
And that no machine at this present time qualifies its learning?
I'm not sure I understood this sentence, but I will agree to something near ... no machine at this present time "qualiafies" it's experiences. I have said that qualia are experiences plus the further experiences that directly result, so the qualia of seeing red is the original experience of seeing red plus further experiences that are triggered by the first recognition of red. To date most machines have not been built to generate further experiences (recognitions) after the first, so their qualia would be minimal. Okay, if you want to require that qualia requires at least one further experience beyond the original recognition, then you could say they don't have qualia. However, there are people working on machine architectures that are more like the architectures in the human brain. IBM and Chris Eliasmith (not associated with IBM) come to mind. I haven't verified this, but I anticipate that these architectures will be getting closer to human-like qualia. I think they will be related to what Eliasmith calls semantic pointers.
James, whereas elan vital was a fallacy, quality is real.
I'm pretty sure that the people who came up with the idea of elan vital thought it was real, until it wasn't.

The Beast

Post by The Beast »

The view and definition of qualia is one of “evolving”. The spectrum of “existing qualia” is one of minimums in the case of basic elements of the periodic table. How do they (the elements) change if at all. I might agree that elements possess qualia in the minimal sense without any detectable consciousness by the standard of living cells. It is then that qualia is the property of consciousness or the white canvas or the Noema on which the experience of living or the self writes its own story. In the case of Human, it absorbs the metaphysical. As to whether we could give life to the elements by speeding the process of change in some procedural algorithm it is in the realm of possibility. But, it is my view that the white canvas is called Believe. A metaphysical property from which consciousness arises and changes the nature of reality. Can we reproduce the metaphysical? (The canvas from which the concept arises). If instead the canvas is an artificial light, a reproduction based on known beliefs that could change at the speed of rational light. LOL, what will happens to us irrational beings?
SimpleGuy

Post by SimpleGuy »

The problem is how to define consciousness within the scope of computer science. If it's just mere inference and unification in higher order modal-logics this is ok. But this is not the whole problem. The interaction of a system with the real world counts and the mere simulation of behaviour. One should think about that the optical and accoustical perception as well as haptical perception within a system should be equivalent in understanding to that of a human beeing. The mere comprehension of a book can not be formulated simply by higher order logics as well as belief desire intention logical systems are not fully fit to enhance the simulation of a human mind. IBM watson uses stochastic inference and inference systems , but it's quite complicated for this system to find out what the user wants and it would be even more complicated to understand a very complex novel from the beginning to the end.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Conscious individuals don't share the same nervous system unlike AI machines which can transfer exactly the same information between one AI machine and other AI machines.
JamesOfSeattle
Premium Member

Post by JamesOfSeattle »

Belinda, I don't see what difference that makes. Besides, some conscious individuals do share the same nervous system. See
http://io9.gizmodo.com/5916013/do-these ... sciousness

Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

JamesOfSeattle wrote:Exactly why is life necessary for consciousness?

Because only life has the necessary awareness and energy from whence consciousness can arise.
Exactly what does life have that a man-made machine cannot ever have? What can life do that a machine can never do? And don't just say "consciousness", because that would be assuming the conclusion.
Life has a certain matter/energy which machines do not have, by definition. Some people might call this life/energy present in life but not in non-life the "soul" or "life force". But whatever it is, there is no doubt that living organisms have a certain energy or force (and this implies a certain corresponding matter) that non-living objects do not have. We detect a certain animation in living things which we do not detect in non-living matter.
I kind of agree that life is a prerequisite for consciousness, but only in the same way that life is a prerequisite for playing chess. But that doesn't mean a machine can't be made to play chess.
Of course a machine can be made to play chess. Just like a horse can be made to run and a boulder can be made to roll down a hill. This has nothing to do with consciousness.

A conscious entity can make itself play chess, something the computer will never be able to do....
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

JamesOfSeattle wrote:Belinda, I don't see what difference that makes. Besides, some conscious individuals do share the same nervous system. See

For the Hogan twins, this raises the interesting possibility that they may share both sensory experiences and conscious thoughts.

A first rate example of the exception that proves the rule.

-- Updated September 12th, 2017, 3:31 am to add the following --
Belindi wrote:
JamesOfSeattle wrote:Belinda, I don't see what difference that makes. Besides, some conscious individuals do share the same nervous system. See

For the Hogan twins, this raises the interesting possibility that they may share both sensory experiences and conscious thoughts.

A first rate example of the exception that proves the rule.
James of Seattle wrote;
I'm pretty sure that the people who came up with the idea of elan vital thought it was real, until it wasn't.
All empirical claims have an inductive gap. Elan vital fell through the gap. Quality is still on the table.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

I can make an experiment: always when I see yellow, I observe feature X among my brain events, and always when I observe feature X among my brain events I see yellow. Now I can say that seeing yellow is X, and that is true in a sense. But can you imagine a robot making that experiment? Perhaps you can.

All in all, I would say that robots behave and "think" within the rules we have made, whereas we cannot find any fixed rules in us if we do not believe in the rules God has given us when he created us from dust. What motivates a robot? And all conscious beings we know die. What does it mean to say a robot dies?
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Tamminem, I like your thought experiment, above. When I imagine a robot doing that experiment the robot ceases to be a robot. The robot that remains a robot lacks subjectivity, and subjectivity is strongly implied by the presence of , not one, but both of the variables in the correlation.
Each variable by itself is necessary for subjecthood, but the two variables significantly in concert together are sufficient for subjecthood.

-- Updated September 12th, 2017, 8:03 am to add the following --

One may object that the robot is telling lies. Can robots tell lies?
JamesOfSeattle
Premium Member

Post by JamesOfSeattle »

Tamminen wrote:I can make an experiment: always when I see yellow, I observe feature X among my brain events, and always when I observe feature X among my brain events I see yellow. Now I can say that seeing yellow is X, and that is true in a sense. But can you imagine a robot making that experiment? Perhaps you can.
Yup.
All in all, I would say that robots behave and "think" within the rules we have made
Except when they teach themselves how to play Go
whereas we cannot find any fixed rules in us
AlphaGo knows nothing of the rules by which it functions, just like us. Well, we know some of the rules, because we have general intelligence. We haven't made robots with general intelligence, yet.
What motivates a robot?
Depends on how it's built. What motivates Watson to give questions in response to answers? Something does.
What does it mean to say a robot dies?
It means that it stops working as expected with the expectation that it will never work again. Just like when my car died. Same with people. Used to be that when your heart stopped, you were dead.

Belindi

Post by Belindi »

James of Seattle wrote:
I do believe that qualia are both physical and mental: qualia are a class of physical, information processing events.
But if qualia were nothing but physical events your nearest and dearest, at least, could experience your perceptions.

An AI machine can share information with us and with other AI machines. AI machines' conceptualisations are digital: our conceptualisations are analogical, aided by digital methods.

For the above reason it's confusing to say that AI machines have minds, can learn from the aspect of mind. Minds as usually understood imply privileged access.
For Descartes, we still have privileged access even in the doubt scenario. That is, for him we would retain self-knowledge even in those extreme situations in which we can't have knowledge about anything else.

Gilbert Ryle, on the other hand, maintains a diametrically opposed view. According to the behaviorism of Ryle, each of us knows our own thoughts in the same way we know other's thoughts. We only come to know the thoughts of others through their linguistic and bodily behaviors, and must do exactly the same in order to know our own thoughts. There is no privileged access. We only have access to what we think upon evidences supplied through our own actions.

-- Updated September 13th, 2017, 5:04 am to add the following --

When I wanted to recall that phrase 'privileged access' I consulted my own personal memories, which are memories of events from my perspective and mine alone. You could not have a clue as to the connotations that I personally cluster around the half-remembered phrase. Another person would recall the same phrase according to their own personal and unique memory systems.

Once I had recalled the phrase which I sought:

the AI called Google however found the philosophical commentary on 'privileged access' according to a publicly available method which other computers follow in an identical manner.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

I surrender. James really seems to think that there is no fundamental difference between us and robots. Maybe some day we'll see machine-Hamlets struggling about the meaning of being and planning suicide.

Some philosophers say that philosophical discussion is impossible because we speak of different things. Sometimes I think they are right. But, on the other hand, in this case there seems to be a concrete question, but still we cannot find a common language. What is the problem with us?

It cannot be a matter of evidence. Materialists and idealists, for instance, have the same evidence, but their world views differ from each other in a profound way. No common language. No fruitful debate. Pity.

Maybe some of us look outwards, others inwards, and we see two different worlds.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Tamminen, I think the questions you asked in that last post are interesting enough that it might be worth starting a new topic from them.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream