Can a man-made computer become conscious?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Can a man-made computer become conscious?

Post by Sy Borg »

UniversalAlien wrote:Possibly what Humans fear, and mayve should fear, is that they are anachronisms - Evolving intelligence no longer needs
biology to exist - It can be replaced by a more efficient means to manipulate data and the environment.

True this is scary - Man is a dinosaur?

So maybe we should teach machines how to 'feel' as soon as possible - Maybe they will keep Man around for nostalgia.
What humans should fear more than AI is being poor and thus becoming an anachronism to those in power. The interests of humanity are splitting - the wealthy decision makers and the rest. One group will progress faster than the other, widening the gap. The former will be empowered by their AI, but the AI itself is less of a threat than societal divisions resulting in a zero sum game.

Still, in time every species becomes extinct and will, hopefully, be replaced. The dinosaurs lasted over 200 million years. Let's see how long humans last. Whatever, let's not think for even a moment that humans in, say, 10,000 years would be much like us at all, and by then may not even be recognisably human.
Woodart

Post by Woodart »

Greta wrote: Still, in time every species becomes extinct and will, hopefully, be replaced. The dinosaurs lasted over 200 million years. Let's see how long humans last. Whatever, let's not think for even a moment that humans in, say, 10,000 years would be much like us at all, and by then may not even be recognisably human.

I think it is wishful thinking to say we will be replaced by something better - if you are saying that? Yeah, in 10000 years we will be different - better - the jury is still out?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Woodart wrote:
Greta wrote: Still, in time every species becomes extinct and will, hopefully, be replaced. The dinosaurs lasted over 200 million years. Let's see how long humans last. Whatever, let's not think for even a moment that humans in, say, 10,000 years would be much like us at all, and by then may not even be recognisably human.
I think it is wishful thinking to say we will be replaced by something better - if you are saying that? Yeah, in 10000 years we will be different - better - the jury is still out?
Do you share Gould's view that the consistent growth and progression (aka evolution) over billions of years is a fluke? What I see in evolution is something akin to gestation but on a larger scale. I don't find this notion nearly as far-fetched as most seem to do. Systems theory has reality as a series of nested fractals, with equivalent dynamics occurring over and over again. As above, so below.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Greta wrote:
Still, in time every species becomes extinct and will, hopefully, be replaced.
I detect the idea that nature is value in its own right, and not only as support system for humans. I want to join that club! Some atheists are better at God than traditional believers.
Woodart

Post by Woodart »

Greta wrote: Do you share Gould's view that the consistent growth and progression (aka evolution) over billions of years is a fluke? What I see in evolution is something akin to gestation but on a larger scale. I don't find this notion nearly as far-fetched as most seem to do. Systems theory has reality as a series of nested fractals, with equivalent dynamics occurring over and over again. As above, so below.
I hope we will be better, but I am not sure we will be better. Technology is a double edge sword. In some ways it takes us away from who we are - blinds us. We are moving forward - I am not always sure where we are moving to.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Woodart wrote:
Greta wrote: Do you share Gould's view that the consistent growth and progression (aka evolution) over billions of years is a fluke? What I see in evolution is something akin to gestation but on a larger scale. I don't find this notion nearly as far-fetched as most seem to do. Systems theory has reality as a series of nested fractals, with equivalent dynamics occurring over and over again. As above, so below.
I hope we will be better, but I am not sure we will be better. Technology is a double edge sword. In some ways it takes us away from who we are - blinds us. We are moving forward - I am not always sure where we are moving to.
Better than what? - Define better.

" Technology is a double edge sword. In some ways it takes us away from who we are" - But who are we?
It would appear that we are already part of the technology.

" I am not always sure where we are moving to" - Then again who is?

Regardless of belief {theist or atheist or agnostic} - I would postulate Man must set the directions of the future :idea:
Woodart

Post by Woodart »

UniversalAlien wrote: Better than what? - Define better.

" Technology is a double edge sword. In some ways it takes us away from who we are" - But who are we?
It would appear that we are already part of the technology.

" I am not always sure where we are moving to" - Then again who is?

Regardless of belief {theist or atheist or agnostic} - I would postulate Man must set the directions of the future :idea:
Yes - defining better is the question. I just hoping we can look more into our collective heart than the tapestry of our house.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Greta
Aren't you just conflating consciousness here with responsiveness? To me the interesting and difficult questions about consciousness are to do with its qualiative experiential nature. Isn't that the question we're really stumped on when we ask can computers become conscious? Can they subjectively experience what it's like to be a computer? That's the question fundamental hypotheses like panpsychism try to address.
I'll address all at once. Another member had an objection here and I asked him where we would draw that line between an entity that experiences something and one that experiences nothing. He drew the line that flatworms, the simplest organisms with brains. For him, brains and a sense of experience were synonymous. A solid counter, I thought.

Still - and you knew there'd be a still :) - is that to say that brainless organisms with nerve nets experience the same - nothing - as ones without nerve nets? Does being an amoeba feel identical to being a salt crystal - with both feeling "nothing" equally? Are the "nothings" of amoebas and salt crystals really nothing, or perhaps just very small things? Maybe the difference lies in memory? For instance the non-experiences of being in deep sleep or a coma is are really experiences, just that they are subtle and we don't remember them. Everything about us is still present, only dormant.

I think of it as "consciousness chauvinism" where our waking consciousness is so huge compared with most other entities that we dismiss things of a certain level of relative simplicity as "consciousness nulls". I would argue that they are not nulls, just variably small, invisibly small to our relatively huge awareness like atoms are invisible to our sight.
Well I'd say the answer is 'I don't know, and neither does anybody else'. :wink:

Simply put, subjective experience is inherently private, so if we don't know what the necessary and sufficient conditions for subjective experience are, we can't know what has it and what doesn't. We can guess based on similarity to critters like ourselves which do have subjective experience, and on behaviour, but it's a guess nonetheless.

It does make sense to infer that the more similar a critter is to critters known to have components which seem to correlate with subjective experience (human nervous system) the more likely it is they too will have subjective experience, that's a reasonable guess. So a flatworm... I'd guess there's a fair chance there's 'something it is like' to be a flatworm. I'm more confident there is 'something it is like' to be a chimp, because there's greater similarity, so the necessary and sufficient conditions are more likely to be met.

A crystal? There's such a leap in dissimilarity, so I'd guess not. But, if for example panpsychism is true, and consciousness isn't a novel emergent phenomenon of certain types of complex systems, but rather a fundamental part of all stuff, then I'd be wrong and there is 'something it is like' to be a crystal.

Which brings us back to the key problem, without a settled Theory of Consciousness (rather than competing speculative hypotheses like panpsychism and emergence) which includes the necessary and sufficient conditions for subjective experience, we can't know.

Getting back to RobotGreta, she would have similar processes, but a different substrate. If we knew that the processes were enough to meet the necessary and sufficient conditions for subjective experience, we could know she had it in some form. If panpsychism is true, she would have some form of subjective experience, as would a toaster or crystal or atom. But it could well be that the differences (in substrate) are key, and she lacks the necessary and sufficient conditions for subjective experience. We don't know.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Gertie wrote:Which brings us back to the key problem, without a settled Theory of Consciousness (rather than competing speculative hypotheses like panpsychism and emergence) which includes the necessary and sufficient conditions for subjective experience, we can't know.

Getting back to RobotGreta, she would have similar processes, but a different substrate. If we knew that the processes were enough to meet the necessary and sufficient conditions for subjective experience, we could know she had it in some form. If panpsychism is true, she would have some form of subjective experience, as would a toaster or crystal or atom. But it could well be that the differences (in substrate) are key, and she lacks the necessary and sufficient conditions for subjective experience. We don't know.
I agree with this generally but wonder about the gradations between boundaries. My previous examples were not ideal. At the point of Earth's abiogenesis, consider the difference between the first life form as per today's definition and its "peer" chemicals. Then there's the difference between microbes with a nucleus and those without. There have been some studies where, logically enough, chemical structures are being found in microbes that are seemingly performing the same function as a nervous system. We are talking about a level of "consciousness" that is dwarfed by our deep sleep.

For simplicty (and fun) I'll make the pansychic assumption. While there may be panpsychic gradations of "being" everywhere, there are no doubt significant leaps - from chemical to microbe, from microbe to eukaryote, from invertebrates to vertebrates (that's an interesting one - why are animals that are soft on the inside more intelligent than those with hard outsides? Like robots?). Then there's philosophers' favourite leap of sentience - to us eusocial post-apes.

So in a pansychic reality some kind of "leap" would still be necessary for the glorified appliances we currently call AI to experience even to the level of a bug. As you noted, all we can draw on here are our own experiences. Consider our sentience at the time of our earliest memories. Then consider before. Do "lights switch on"? Is a sense of being a sudden emergence like star ignition? That leads us back to your first answer to me above :)
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

I agree with this generally but wonder about the gradations between boundaries. My previous examples were not ideal. At the point of Earth's abiogenesis, consider the difference between the first life form as per today's definition and its "peer" chemicals. Then there's the difference between microbes with a nucleus and those without. There have been some studies where, logically enough, chemical structures are being found in microbes that are seemingly performing the same function as a nervous system. We are talking about a level of "consciousness" that is dwarfed by our deep sleep.
Yeah the gradations between boundaries are interesting in themselves. One thing does stick out, that complexity (rather than eg size) seems key to at least more complex subjective states, and might be a necessary condition. So a solid marble StatueGreta (which there are many I'm sure) looks less likely to be conscious than a movin and a-groovin RobotGreta.
Then there's philosophers' favourite leap of sentience - to us eusocial post-apes.
You might enjoy Churchland's take on this, here's a brief summary in a talk she gave -

[yid=LJ7szK1Rz4w[/yid]

-- Updated July 18th, 2017, 4:51 pm to add the following --
Woodart

Post by Woodart »

Gertie wrote:
You might enjoy Churchland's take on this, here's a brief summary in a talk she gave -
Wow – what a powerful woman and thinker!
Is she saying that oxytocin is produced as a function of wanting to eat more food in order to keep warm and survive? Why is oxytocin involved in the initiation of maternal behavior and morality? Is the answer that oxytocin precipitates a pleasure response and we want to increase pleasure? Is pleasure the driver for oxytocin production via eating food – having sex – bonding pleasure?
Fan of Science

Post by Fan of Science »

Oxytocin is also involved in people hating one another. It amplifies in-group feelings while at the same time amplifying out-group feelings as well.

Biology may explain how our moral reasoning got started, but it no more explains moral reasoning than it does mathematics. Who would ever claim mathematics was biologically determined? Morality is no different. We may biologically have a built-in number sense regarding some very basic math, but the vast majority of math goes way beyond our biology, and so does our thinking about morality. I don't see how morality can be grounded in biology merely because it gets its initial start with biology. There is much in our biology that people today consider to be immoral.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Gertie wrote:
Yeah the gradations between boundaries are interesting in themselves. One thing does stick out, that complexity (rather than eg size) seems key to at least more complex subjective states, and might be a necessary condition. So a solid marble StatueGreta (which there are many I'm sure) looks less likely to be conscious than a movin and a-groovin RobotGreta.
Exactly. Of course, compared with our mighty [sic] human consciousness the, well, reactivity of StatueMe and RoboMe is doodly squat.

Gertie wrote:
Then there's philosophers' favourite leap of sentience - to us eusocial post-apes.
You might enjoy Churchland's take on this, here's a brief summary in a talk she gave
Ta, but I don't feel she explained it, though. When she spoke about the so-called mammalian innovation of parental care I immediately thought of mother crocs carrying their young gently in their mouths, or bird parents working feverishly to feed their young, never mind the struggles of penguin parents.

You are surely right about complexity, at least to some extent. Integration is another key aspect of life/consciousness. So a jungle may be much more complex than a single ape, yet is (apparently?) less sentient, with its information less densely packed and less integrated.

-- Updated 19 Jul 2017, 00:59 to add the following --
Belindi wrote:Greta wrote:
Still, in time every species becomes extinct and will, hopefully, be replaced.
I detect the idea that nature is value in its own right, and not only as support system for humans. I want to join that club! Some atheists are better at God than traditional believers.
Emotionally, yes, I think nature has value in its own right. Realistically, however, I see most of nature as ending up acting as likely resources for whatever humankind and its products manage to cook up.

As things stand, due to the heating sun, even without an anthropogenic greenhouse effect, in a matter of millions of years the Earth's surface will be uninhabitable. This is a short time in the Earth's history. Unless humans/cyborgs/AI manage to do something clever in the future, the story of life on Earth ends there.

-- Updated 19 Jul 2017, 01:07 to add the following --
UniversalAlien wrote:
Woodart wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Better than what? - Define better.
Ways in which we could be improved upon:

- more equitable, fair and compassionate
- more empathetic towards other life forms
- more intelligent, able to use reason to dismiss unsubstantiated polemic and propaganda
- less subject to inappropriate anxiety / fight-or-flight
- more physically durable
- more sustainability, and so on.

There must be hundreds of ways we humans could be improved upon - or more!
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Greta wrote:
(Belindi wrote:)I detect the idea that nature is value in its own right, and not only as support system for humans. I want to join that club! Some atheists are better at God than traditional believers.

(Greta)Emotionally, yes, I think nature has value in its own right. Realistically, however, I see most of nature as ending up acting as likely resources for whatever humankind and its products manage to cook up.

As things stand, due to the heating sun, even without an anthropogenic greenhouse effect, in a matter of millions of years the Earth's surface will be uninhabitable. This is a short time in the Earth's history. Unless humans/cyborgs/AI manage to do something clever in the future, the story of life on Earth ends there.
Yes, and if humans come to respect nature as a value in itself then the demise of the living Earth will feel a little more comfortable and perhaps delayed a very little.

-- Updated July 19th, 2017, 4:10 am to add the following --

Greta wrote:
(Belindi wrote:)I detect the idea that nature is value in its own right, and not only as support system for humans. I want to join that club! Some atheists are better at God than traditional believers.

(Greta)Emotionally, yes, I think nature has value in its own right. Realistically, however, I see most of nature as ending up acting as likely resources for whatever humankind and its products manage to cook up.

Yes, and if humans come to respect nature as a value in itself then the demise of the living Earth will feel a little more comfortable and perhaps delayed a very little.
Woodart

Post by Woodart »

Greta wrote:
Ways in which we could be improved upon:

- more equitable, fair and compassionate
- more empathetic towards other life forms
- more intelligent, able to use reason to dismiss unsubstantiated polemic and propaganda
- less subject to inappropriate anxiety / fight-or-flight
- more physically durable
- more sustainability, and so on.

There must be hundreds of ways we humans could be improved upon - or more!
I am hoping we can accomplish a few small improvements in the near term. I hope there is a long term - because - we need time to figure it out. We are not as smart as a lot of people think we are. I would say over confidence is a big part of our problem.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream