Is a priori knowledge possible?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Re: Is a priori knowledge possible?

Post by Hereandnow »

So, Wayne92587, you are saying there is apriori knowledge, obviously. I happen to agree with this. But I was responding to SimpleGuy's assertion that apriority can be explained in probabilistic terms. I hold this is the very definition what it is for a thing not to be apriori: that is, to be apriori is not to be reducible to other terms.

Butterfly effects, space/time. What does this have to do with it, in terms that are clear? I mean, actually use the word 'apriority' as the object of your thoughts. It sounds to me like this may be a challenge, given the loose construction of the above.

Ah, but then, you could be being facetious, with the Amen, and so forth. But I won't assume as much.
Wayne92587
Favorite Philosopher: Hermese Trismegistus

Post by Wayne92587 »

Hereandnow;
Butterfly effects, space/time. What does this have to do with it, in terms that are clear?
The Butterfly Effect is the priori system of Chaos.

Chaos theory is a branch of mathematics and it is focused on the behavior of dynamical systems that are highly sensitive to initial conditions, the Reality of First Cause, being the First, a Random Singularity having no relative, numerical value, having a numerical value of Zerro-0 to be converted into a Singularity of One-1, the Reality of First Cause.

will your explain why the submitted form of my previous post invalid.
Hereand now; It sounds to me like this may be a challenge, given the loose construction of the above.
Are you saying that my grammar is not correct, if so show me where.

Your complaint about my post is not clear.
Wayne92587

Post by Wayne92587 »

Hereandnow; It sounds to me like this may be a challenge, given the loose construction of the above.

Ah, but then, you could be being facetious, with the Amen, and so forth. But I won't assume as much.
Wayne wrote;

I believe in the Reality of Myth, symbols, Religion; it is all a matter of interpretation.

Amen, make it so, is meant to be the ending of a prayer, Amun Ra is an Egyptian God; Ra being the Sun God, Disk---->0.

Zero-0 is very important to my thoughts; Zero-0 being a singularity that has no relative, numerical, having a numerical value, having a numerical value of Zero-0.

Prior to the so called Big Bang nothingness was the only thing in existence, Singularity existing as an Every Present Infinite Indivisible Singularity and also as a Omniscient State of Singularity, as the Transcendental (Metaphysical) Fully Random Quantum State of Singularity.

It is this ever present Singularity of Zero-0 as a State of Singularity, Darkness upon the Deep, the omniscience of a Black Whole from which the Heavens and the Earth, the Universe, the Reality of Everything that exists as a material Reality, even a Rock, was made manifest.

Zero-0 being symbolic of the of the vessel that is the dwelling place of the seed of all living things; The Spirit of God, the Passion of God.

Passion being the animating Spirit, of God.

Singularity being the secret of the Pyramid that is hidden in Plain sight.

The Pyramid is the Arch of the covenant.

It is the dimensions of the Pyramid, the Arch of the covenant, Noha's Ark, a monolith, megalith, that is significant, all being approximately Twice as long as it is wide.

Take a rectangle, which is also defined as being a square, that is twice as long as it is wide, cut it on a bias, place the two 90 degree angles back to back and you will see why the secret of the Pyramid is hidden in Plain Sight . The Pyramids of Egypt were not built having the correct dimensions in plain sight.

Sacred Geometry, the square, the Circle and the Triangle.

A perfect square has four 90 degree and four equal sides.
A rectangle is a square but it doe not have four equal sides.
A Circle is a square, but not a perfect square because a Circle does not have any corners; a corner being defined as being a 90 decree angle..
Wayne92587

Post by Wayne92587 »

The Holy Grail, a cup that holds the Blood of the Christ, a Platter---->0.

When God breathed his breath, his Immoral Spirit into Mankind's nostrils it was the Spirit, the Passion, the Breath of Life, it was the Spirit of God that became, was made manifest, that became a living Soul, alive in the Flesh Body of Man.

How man symbols are there that exist as a Square that has no corners.

All the crosses from the Maltese Cross to Swastika, the Star of David, the octagon, the pentagram. ,

Take eight Mirrors 8" square, form an Octagon with the reflective side to the inside, place a mark on one of the mirrors, observe the mark from outside the perimeter from just the right angle and an infinite, an untold of quantity of marks will appear in a single Mirror, replicating what appears to be what appears to be an Infinite number, quantity, of infinitely Finite indivisible singularities in one of the Eight Mirrors.

Your will see a physical example of Infinity, even though the Infinite, unspoken of number, quantity, of marks are nothing more that a reflection, are an Illusion of Reality.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

Hi Wayne92587. I wonder, could finish this sentence for me: Apriority is possible because_________________....
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

I would suggest that (almost?) all metaphysical, ultimate, Reality/Truth is Known a priori.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

Ok Nameless. Please keep in mind that the matter is about apriority, and this should be front and center.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Hereandnow wrote: January 5th, 2018, 11:54 pm Ok Nameless. Please keep in mind that the matter is about apriority, and this should be front and center.
How can you have read and understood my post and still say this?
So... that is not the subject of my post?

a pri·o·ri
ˌā prīˈôrī/
adjective
adjective: a priori; adjective: apriori

1. relating to or denoting reasoning or knowledge that proceeds from theoretical deduction rather than from observation or experience.

Apriority
Collins English Dictionary
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/di ... /apriority

apriority in American. (ˌeɪpraɪˈɔrəti ; āˌprīôrˈətē) the quality or fact of being a priori. the use of a priori reasoning.

So how am I not on topic?
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

My post was in response to your;
"Apriority is possible because_________________...."
I showed an example of a priori Knowledge as evidence of 'possibility'.
Very on topic.
Somehow, you managed to ignore the message and... I don't know what, move the goalposts?
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

Nameless:
I would suggest that (almost?) all metaphysical, ultimate, Reality/Truth is Known a priori..
I don't know what ultimate reality is. How is "it" known??
Wayne92587

Post by Wayne92587 »

Hi Wayne92587. I wonder, could finish this sentence for me: Apriority is possible because_________
The Heavens and the Earth, the Universe, "Everything" that exists in the material sense of the word, even rock, is born of an Infinitely Finite Indivisible Singularity that has no mass, that has no relative, numerical value, that has a numerical value of Zero-0, Nada, Zip, Zilch, Nothing.

This primary substance, Apriority, if you like, is motionless, has no angular momentum, no velocity of speed and direction, is meaningless, can not be experienced, is immeasurable as to location and momentum in Space Time, is Infinite.

Apriority is the Ultimate Reality, the basic Substance of which the Whole of Reality is made manifest; existing as the minutest Singular Particle, substance, in the Universe.

In quantity, a number, which can not be spoken of, this omnipresent Singularity exists as Transcendental Metaphysical Fully Random Quantum State of Singularity in which nothing is Relative, has numerical value.

Time, Space and Motion exist as undifferentiated Singularities, Motion in Time and Space being meaningless, not being measurable existing without displacement, without Velocity of Speed and direction, Time, Space and Motion being at a Standstill.

Motion existing as an insignificant innate inner vibration, oscillation, within a Singularity, causing the Infinitely Finite Indivisible Singularity existing as an omnipresent Singularity within the Omniscience of the Transcendental Fully Random Quantum State of Singularity; to make a Humming Sound; OHM !

Ultimate Reality, Apriorty, Singularity, often mistakenly Spoken of as being God!
SimpleGuy

Post by SimpleGuy »

Perhaps, we should reforulate the question!

Is is indistinguishable to have a priori knowledge from beeing informed by somebody other ?
As one sees , this is mostly just for your own positioning and feeling the case. Everybody
else cannot judge about the aprioryness of your knowlege .

As this cannot be replicated, what would be the effect if the apriory knowledge as intuition
would be distinguishable from beeing informed from somebody else?

Can you imagine a , case where the same person was just informed by somebody and the
person with the same intuition could be as a case have different effects, although the
informational content would be the same ?
SimpleGuy

Post by SimpleGuy »

Sorry Correction: Somebody else not somebody other , this was german grammar.
SimpleGuy

Post by SimpleGuy »

The how do you want to formulate the problem, from the participants point or from the society outside.

There are two events:

a) A person tells via intuition, how a problem can be solved or a situation can be seen.

b) A person gets the solution of a problem or the viewpoint explained by somebody else, and then simply tells the consequences to other people.

I claim:
For the outsider, who doesn't know the person and has no contact to the person, the two situations are indistinguishable.
For the insider true intuition, and a priory knowledge does exist.

The mathematical formulation of the problem simply imposes this as if situation b is existent such that the person with a priory knowlede is formulated a change of a sigma algebra. But the problem is, if you claim that situation a is the case, it's simply not reproducible for a scientist as well as a philosopher.

One has then to formalize the whole world , just through the viewpoints of a few persons in contact with the person with a priory knowledge.
Which is some kind of irrational effort to explain the world.

In fact a neural computational way to explain these effect, simply comes out as mathematical equivalent to the previously described mathematical situation. But no person for himself, would see his thoughts as generated by some neurons of himself, but would take himself a whole entity.

As you can see, the problem is a problem of relativity of standpoints more than of the existence.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

SimpleGuy:
Is is indistinguishable to have a priori knowledge from beeing informed by somebody other ?
As one sees , this is mostly just for your own positioning and feeling the case. Everybody
else cannot judge about the aprioryness of your knowlege .

As this cannot be replicated, what would be the effect if the apriory knowledge as intuition
would be distinguishable from beeing informed from somebody else?

Can you imagine a , case where the same person was just informed by somebody and the
person with the same intuition could be as a case have different effects, although the
informational content would be the same ?
Apriority refers to propositions that are necessarily and universally true. Of course, it can be used to refer to more mundane matters in which case you know something is the case without having experienced its content: you know something about it prior to content, as in "so you knew apriori that the defendant was dangerous" meaning prior to the murder occurring; of the like. But this is not what is at issue here. What is at issue is the rationalist's claim against the empiricist that there is knowledge that is not derived from experience, as in analytical propositions like " all bachelors are unmarried" (trivially true tautology; not very interesting) and "every event has a cause" or the propositions that issue from logic and math. Issues center around all of these, of course.

Being informed by someone else, and I presume you mean thereby giving you knowledge about something you have not yourself witnessed, and you thus know it without experienced it, would be an example of the loose and casual sense of apriority, not the rigorous philosophical idea.

Things that are necessarily true, in geometrical truths like "the leg of a triangle that is opposite the largest angle is the longest" are true regardless who has the thought. Why this so is exactly the mystery.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream