Supernatural Powers (exist?) (how to attain?)

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
SolarMatter

Supernatural Powers (exist?) (how to attain?)

Post by SolarMatter »

Within dreams we experience supernatural powers and phenomena so from my point of view they do exist since they exist there.

It all has to do with your mind state, it is my belief that if you were in the same mind state you were in when you were in a dream and gained supernatural powers, you would in real life gain the same powers.

You gaining super powers in your dreams was a result of your actions and mind/body state, in the state you were in you acted differently then you do when you were awake, the way you acted resulted in gaining powers.

Recreate the mind state and recreate the body state and you will have similar type things happen to you.

For example you gained the power to fly in a dream, if you recreated your state and repeated the actions then you would in real life be able to fly.
Silent as Shadow

Re: Supernatural Powers (exist?) (how to attain?)

Post by Silent as Shadow »

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, if you could obtain your dream state while awake. In a dream you are mentaly and emotionaly as free as humanly possible; the question is: Can you defy any and all of the laws of reality that stand in the way of your moral and spiritual calling, without hesitation( fear of what may result from it, and what people may think of you for it)? I would say if it is at all possible, extremely deep meditation is the only way to obtain it.
Thinking critical
Favorite Philosopher: A.C Grayling

Post by Thinking critical »

The laws of physics do not apply in the false reality created in our imaginations, hence why we can imagine ourselves with supernatural powers. We are more than capable of reaching the same state of mind as experienced while dreaming through the means of meditating, mind over matter has been observed to increase or decrease our senses to a degree for example "fire walking" how ever there is absolutely no evidence to support or reason to believe that this state of mind would allow us in our physical forms to over come the basic laws of physics.
This cocky little cognitive contortionist will straighten you right out
Silent as Shadow

No evidence, true, however lack of evidence has no influence on whether something can be possible or impossible.
Thinking critical

Yes, but there is a multitude of evidence which clearly demonstrates the probability of these supernatural feats is as good as impossible. Hence the saying dreams are free I suppose :-)
Silent as Shadow

Evidence gathered from a minescule amount of information, which in itself (the information basis) is only factual based upon our understanding of it. This is a rather pointless conversation, for neither of us seem to have any real interest in actually attempting to acquire the subject matter through any means at all, much less our own. I say the author of this thread attempts our method of acquisition, and tells us how it goes. :P

P.S. Don't get lost in there, you might not make it back...
Thinking critical

Agreed :-D it seems we pretty much hit a dead end before we even began...
Silent as Shadow

By the way, as you probably already know I am new to this site. I am 17, male, and American. Nice to meet you! -bows- I absolutely love philosophy and I hope we can discuss/debate much more.
Hypedupturtle
Favorite Philosopher: John Berger + Nietzsche +Jung

Post by Hypedupturtle »

Welcome Silent :)

I do believe certain religios sects (cue /sigh /rolleyes at mention of religion) purport to be able to achieve such feats as levitation through meditation, which I suppose is as close as one can get to a "dream state" whilst still consciously awake. However this has never been tested and so is until evidence is shown empirically unprovable (though an interesting topic I must say.)

I can't help but wonder if there's something wrong with me, or maybe I'm just intensely unimaginative, for in my dreamly rovings I have never (so far as I can remember) done anything as remotely interesting or exciting as flying.
Silent as Shadow

Thank you Hypedupturtle! Yes I have heard of the reports of levitation, but unless I see it for myself I can't quite believe it. And hahaha don't worry I haven't had many dreams like that either.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

I do not think there is anything supernatural about dreaming of flying and magic and such. Fantasizing or imagining doing something that would be supernatural to do in a non-dreaming way is not supernatural.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
H M

Post by H M »

SolarMatter wrote:You gaining super powers in your dreams was a result of your actions and mind/body state, in the state you were in you acted differently then you do when you were awake, the way you acted resulted in gaining powers. Recreate the mind state and recreate the body state and you will have similar type things happen to you. For example you gained the power to fly in a dream, if you recreated your state and repeated the actions then you would in real life be able to fly.

Why such is not possible, becomes unusual in Kant's scheme -- i.e., there is more underlying it than the simple dogma of "being against the laws of nature" or "violating how the empirical world hangs together". The natural order is where things find themselves interdependent upon each other and restricted to the global regularities of this shared phenomenal world (heteronomy). But the flip side of this coin (Kant's two-aspectism) is the autonomy that "things" have by themselves, where each is not part of a world or interpersonal system. Any powers that a human thing has in the latter aspect are unknowable as experience, though (such speculations cannot be confirmed). Kant's practical reason can only contend that you do have "freedom" as such a thing in itself, but on the appearances side your decisions are converted into part of the chain of causation and the law of the natural world (where dependence and extrinsic relations reign; your autonomous condition on the free side is hidden here).
Invictus_88

Post by Invictus_88 »

Scott wrote:I do not think there is anything supernatural about dreaming of flying and magic and such. Fantasizing or imagining doing something that would be supernatural to do in a non-dreaming way is not supernatural.
This.

There's nothing supernatural about a daydream.
rainchild

Post by rainchild »

From Solar Matter's first post on this subject:
It all has to do with your mind state, it is my belief that if you were in the same mind state you were in when you were in a dream and gained supernatural powers, you would in real life gain the same powers.
For example you gained the power to fly in a dream, if you recreated your state and repeated the actions then you would in real life be able to fly.
Sounds like a straight forward empirical claim to me. If you can demonstrate this effect, your findings will necessitate some radical revisions in physics. If you can't, then the world won't have any reason to believe your claim. End of story.

--Jim G.
SirenSerena
New Trial Member

Post by SirenSerena »

So there's a well respected neuroscientist from Canada, (Michael Persinger), who has hypothesized and gathered information to understand the phenomena of ESP.
You can check out a lecture he gives on the nature of ESP here on 'Youtube' called 'No More Secrets'.

One of his main references is the work of Ingo Swann who worked on the Stargate Project.
From wiki: "The Stargate Project[1] was the umbrella code name of one of several sub-projects established by the U.S. Federal Government to investigate claims of psychic phenomena with potential military and domestic applications, particularly "remote viewing": the purported ability to psychically "see" events, sites, or information from a great distance.[2] These projects were active from the 1970s through 1995, and followed up early psychic research done at The Stanford Research Institute (SRI), The American Society for Psychical Research, and other psychical research labs.[3]"

The government did however eventually discredit most of the evidence found through the project.
Come on though, how much can we trust the gov to tell the truth about these things. They spent tons of money and years on this.
I believe that Michael Persinger seems close proving to the conventional science world that ESP is in fact an actual phenomena.

I myself am a firm believer because of what's happened to me throughout my life. These events I have are what are classically consider premonitions. It's been happening quite frequently lately, and I have an idea as to why this may be happening. (I will explain this below.)

Strangely enough last night I dreamt about something seemingly mundane and pointless, although it came quite out of left field.
I completely forgot the dream since I had awoken several times.
When leaving my house today to go to the store I was zipping up my boots when suddenly the zipper tag for my right boot snapped in half! I was miffed by this then suddenly surprised. I instantly remembered the dream I that I had woken up to hours previous.
The dream consisted of my having a boots zipper bust. It wasn't the tag that snapped in half in this dream, it was that the zipper head itself slid off. (We all know what this is like.) It was really frustrating. In the dream I took it to my mum to see if she could fix it, which she did.

So this afternoon when my boots zipper broke I just sighed realizing that it was another one of those 'little annoyance' premonitions again.. and it was the same right boot, although it was the zipper tab that broke in half...something i'm sure will be impossible to fix.

The thing is, sometimes these little premonitions come in almost exact, and then other times they are very similar. Just the same, I sometimes kick myself when I realize that I could have avoided certain scenarios if I had only remembered my dream sooner. (Though I don't think i could have avoided the zipper busting.)

Something like this happens to me often enough for me to realize this isn't just 'coincidence'.
I had no inkling of an idea that this would happen, I have never had this happen to a zipper before, and the boots are quite new.
I usually don't have mundane dreams, especially with myself included in them. They're usually centered around my 'watching' of somewhat intense events with people I've never met before and places I've never seen in my waking life.

I tend to remember most of my dreams in vivid, lengthly detail, it sometimes takes quite a while for me to finally feel like I'm back to reality, as if the 'tinge' or 'feeling' of the dream sometimes overlaps my waking state for hours sometimes.

My suggestion to you, if you are still interested, is that you start trying to remember your dreams even better. Write them down and date them, or voice record them, that way you'll have a reference point and a way to prove your abilities.
Also record, date and time daydreams or spontaneous thoughts or gut feelings you get.

I am going to start charting out which astrological movements occur during these spot on premonitions as well in a hope to understand which times I can trust my intuition and which times I cannot.
I have been advised already by someone who had been taught by a very good astrologer, a man who was a professor of astronomy at Stanford University, to be aware of the positive and negative 'afflictions' to my natal Neptune, moon and Mercury. These are known to affect the mind and intuition. (By the way there is scientific evidence that astrology may be verifiable, I can post this if anyone is interested. Although for me, with any really good astrological readings the proof is in the pudding.)

Besides that, I also know of a tool that seems to be increasing my premonitions over time as I had mentioned above.
It is a form of resonant entrainment that has been known to create some amazingly wild effects for hundreds of users including myself. Using one of these tracks for the very first time I was able to remote view, without planning it or intending it.

I hadn't even known the name of the track, anything about this work at the time, or even known much about remote viewing at the time...the situation was really quite shocking and I can share it here as well if anyone is interested also.\
The sound frequencies that I used are made in this fashion, taken as an excerpt from the website itself.

" : Neuro-Clustering
Bio-Feedback Entrainment Tool
Imagine the possiblity of having and using a frequency that allows you to direct the tempo of a
certain thought or emotion to offset external stresses. This unique tool and method is unlike any
other on the planet and is the result of over fifteen years of dedicated research and development.
Highly precise acoustic models of parts of the conscious mind itself, something our body-mind is
already familiar with on a primal level, it already knows these sounds intuitively for these are the
sounds it naturally recognizes from nature and that it, itself generates and uses!

"A NEW EXPERIMENTAL AND HIGHLY EFFECTIVE FORM OF BEHAVIOUR
AND CONSCIOUSNESS ENTRAINMENT.

The internal rhythmic tempo associated with various internal states, emotional, mental, physical
are mapped. These psycho-somatic patterns are captured as hyper-dimensional geometric forms.
The complex numeric series representing the movement of this object through space-time is translated
into sound.
...............................................................................................................................

What are they & How do you get them?

These items are MP3 digital audio tracks which can be played via normal audio players "

This is from a website called spiralstarz. Specifically the subpage which is the main site with "/bestsp.htm" behind the 'dot' com.

If you scroll down on that sub page there is more information about Michael Persinger as well as a huge amount of evidence pointing toward the capabilities of this technology.

If you still want to increase any 'supernatural' abilities I would highly recommend the resonant entrainment tool. There are hundreds of files that you can look through, some that would probably greatly increase your ability. ( I haven't even been using the one's specifically meant for this even, though they all tend to cause you to 'resonate' to a higher capability anyhow so I can see why all of them could increase the potential of this natural ability.)

Hope this was helpful, glad to see another open mind in a world of mostly left brain thinking.

-SirenSerena

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream