What happens to us when we die?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Present awareness

Re: What happens to us when we die?

Post by Present awareness »

Yes Belinda, I also like "Take no thought for tomorrow, for tomorrow will have thought unto itself" also by Jesus. Basically, he is saying "be here, now".

I can only imagine what will happen at the time of death, however, I know that my body will know what to do when the time comes. It's a natural conclusion to life, after all. If we enjoy the moment, we will enjoy life. When death comes, it will take care of itself.

-- Updated March 26th, 2016, 7:42 pm to add the following --

Yes Danny, I have experienced he presence of someone whom was not there, and as you say, it is difficult to explain. Thank you for explaining why you turned the phrase around, it is a nice play on words. I've always liked that saying " you can't step in the same river twice" because everything is in constant motion, constantly changing, even the chair I'm sitting on, isn't in the same space it was a second ago, because it is spinning on the surface of the earth.
Even though you can see me, I might not be here.
Danny
Favorite Philosopher: Heidegger

Post by Danny »

Present Awareness, I agree with what you are saying, especially where you are referring to your body in relation to death. I would, however, like to add the following: "don't worry about death, it won't be too difficult for you, you won't fail in accomplishing it, millions before you had tried to fail, but none of them were successful in any of their attempts". Now, if this is the case, why is it that most of us are still struggling with this issue, named "death"? Is it because we don't believe this quote to be true? Or, is it, perhaps, because of the very fact that we know just how very true this quote is?!!!!! Couldn't help wondering about this, because I'm also included in the group struggling with this issue, despite the fact that I know how very true the quote is!!!! Perhaps, you can help me here.
Present awareness

The person we were, even just a moment ago, is already gone. If it were not for memory, we would be unable to form an image in our mind, of the person whom we think we are. I believe that the fear of death relates to the fear of losing a lifetimes worth of memories, as well as the chance to create new memories.
Ormond

Post by Ormond »

Making peace with death is not so hard, it's making peace with the process of dying that's the bitch. The dying process starts at about age 23 :D and ain't so bad for decades, in fact it can be great. But unless we're quite lucky, sooner or later we arrive at the place that ain't at all great, and then whatever philosophy we've managed to cobble together starts to fall apart along with everything else. Dying is like being born, a transition that typically involves blood and screaming.

I had an uncle who was mowing the lawn on a hot 4th of July and had a heart attack. The docs said he was likely dead before he hit the ground. That's the way to do it!
If the things we want to hear could take us where we want to go, we'd already be there.
Present awareness

A massive heart attack or stroke, preferably in ones sleep, is probably the nicest way to go. Many people suffer in great pain, with cancer or other illness, and have a long agonizing death. I'm all for doctor assisted suicide, to help terminal people in pain, exit with ease and dignity.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Present awareness wrote:The person we were, even just a moment ago, is already gone. If it were not for memory, we would be unable to form an image in our mind, of the person whom we think we are. I believe that the fear of death relates to the fear of losing a lifetimes worth of memories, as well as the chance to create new memories.
Yes, the sense of waste, the years of experience lost. Also the process of dying. Leaving others behind. Not being able to spend time with valued others, environments, arts and experiences.

On the plus side, many billions have died and it didn't seem to do them any harm ;)
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Perhaps, the only possible "harm" done to the billions was that they had to die, perhaps, as the price to be paid for the opportunities they had while being alive - whether they used, not used or misused these opportunities does not seem to be of any importance after all is said and done?
Rr6
Favorite Philosopher: R. Bucky Fuller

Post by Rr6 »

Disintegration of any parts that previously co-functioned as human. Bowels and bladder release their contained waste.

Depending or circumstances some parts--- bone/calcium --may disintegrate for millions of years.

With rational, logical common sense, we can deduce, that, the I-verse ceases to exist. This loss of I-verse is much more completes than sleeping or coma. Deep sleep may be the best analogy, as stated early on.

Of course with sleeping or coma there is the opportunity for I-verse consciousness occurring, that, is recalled later. Not so with death.

So, no one really knows--- beyond what is stated above ---as was stated early on in this thread.

If we think of biological life being higher frequency set of events, then we may say, that, death is lower frequency set events, at best.

r6
"U"niverse > UniVerse > universe > I-verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse
Danny

Post by Danny »

Our main problem with death is our lack of understanding this phenomenon fully - we only understand what we see which leads to a confrontation of the rational with the irrational. The result? Absurdity. Therefore I want to maintain that death is in its essence a mystery to us, because we suffer from "cognitive closure" with regard to it. The toughest part of this is to acknowledge that we can never know while alive. I must admit that I've struggled with this intensely and that my struggle is still continuing. Can't imagine that this is a problem which can be solved by "scientific progress". Or do you think I'm wrong?
Mans

Post by Mans »

It is a good question. I am interested to write a little about afterlife.

First of all it is better I begin with this word that humans are different with animals and the different is not about their bodies and instincts because in this dimension (physiology), human has some similarity with animals; but the basic difference is about their spirits.
The spirit of animals are simple and mono-tasked that are earthy and have bee created just for circles of instincts, somethings like, finding a proper environment for enough food, fighting for survival, and mating for breeding, in addition to some affections that are seen in animals like the love of an animal to its offspring.

The spirit or soul of human is in a very high level. It is not a simple spirit like the spirit of animals, it is a so great thing that is the record of a great collection of mysteries.
If I want to hint to the most specified difference of human's soul and animals' soul that is sensible, I have to say;

the spirit of animals is limited to the nature (earth), but the capacity of human's spirit is so much higher than these things. It never saturate with an earthy living and all things that is in it! In the other words, the wishes of human is not limited to anything; it is unlimited without any boundary! It is because the capacity of human's soul is unlimited and he always is seeking for an unknown and unlimited thing over everything. He always feels he has lost something but can't find it. He always is seeking for an absolute perfection, but seeking it on the earth mistakenly! For example, he seeking for power, wealth, science, kingdom and so on. He supposes these are that he wants, and these are his lost things.
Supposedly, if one of us succeeds to govern on the earth completely, do you thing he will be saturated with that power and kingdom?? Never. He will never be satisfied with that wealth and power. After he governed on the earth then he will seek for more power and kingdom in the sky! Yes, the spirit of human is so that will never get calm with all powers and wealth that we know and don't know. Human's soul wish something higher than these things because of its unlimited capacity and boundary. But the problem is that human goes wrong! He supposes what he wishes is wealth, power and science. It is like, he can't understand where is the highest perfection that he is seeking for and it is because he has not been hinted to his real aim. Even a robber of a bank is seeking for perfection. He wants to be the most clever and intelligent bank robber, because he feels that is what he wished always!

But the fact is that, the topmost perfection that human wishes is God himself!
Human never saturate with something except God, because God himself is the highest perfection. If the light and reality of God situate in the heart (spirit) of a human, there will not remain any wish and turbulence in him afterward.

However, animals don't wish somethings higher than what satisfy their instincts and requirements. If a lion have had an enough hunting ground that makes it full and the mates that satisfy its coupling instinct, it will never seeking for more kingdom, because its soul is simple with a very limited capacity.

Therefore, the spirit or soul of human is something else. it is a heavenly creature in an earthy body! God says in Koran that he blew from his soul in human. "His soul" doesn't mean " his essence", but it does mean, the soul of human is a special soul behalf him with an unlimited capacity and exploration that is heavenly, unlike the soul of animals.

God has communicated with human with the heavenly and true religions that he has sent to him by messengers one after another. He talked with humans based on logic, intellectual matters and signs. He ordered to humans to think about his word, research and believe in him and the truths that he has sent down to them.

Now, I can explain a little about afterlife. The other world is one for all, but the views and issues that a human encounter them is dependent the believes that they believed in and the actions that they did do in this world.

If a human believes in God and does based on the orders of God, dependent on his level of faith and the number and quality of his good actions he encounter the gifts and rewards that he even can't imagine them ( I explain very simple). The vast and most beautiful private property that is not found and seen in this world. The various luxuriant palaces in the green land with many servants and waiters that no eye has seen. Prepared foods, fruits and drinks that nobody has tasted in this world. The great palaces with excellent and exclusive carpets and other furniture and facilities that no king experienced in this world. A permanent living in the private place without any grief, fear and hardness of repeated dying...

Of course those who denied God and refused to believe in him after his words, explanations and signs are not included these gifts and rewards. They are responsible about their wisdom and God. Probably death can be an unpleasant thing for them and they don't like to see the views that encounter with. For example (this is my personal words) being with existences similar to zombies or other horrible entities forever or encountering with the scenes like " Hills have eye" or " saw" movies or other unpleasant things that are worse.

DON'T FORGET THAT EVERY GIFT OR PUNISHMENT IS CREATED JUST BY OUR RIGHT OR WRONG BELIEVES OR BAD AND GOOD ACTIONS, SO GOD NEVER SPECIFIED THEM FOR HUMANS BY HIMSELF.

I read somewhere, one of the prophets passed from paradise and saw a group of angels that were building a palace, but sometimes they stopped and didn't work.
The prophet asked them:" what you are doing?"
The angels replied:" we are building this palace for a believer person.
He questioned:" why you stop working sometimes?"
They said:" There is not any building material to continue."
The Prophet asked again: " How the materials are prepared?"
They replied: " The materials are the good actions that the believer man does in the world. When he does a good work the material is prepared for us to build the rest of the palace and when he stops the good action, there is nothing for us to work."
Rr6

Post by Rr6 »

Previously existing egg and spermatozoa collectively associates to create a new and more complex, biological/soul whose physical-2 spirit grows, reaches its peak, then decays--- entropy over syntropy ---until it it dies as disassociated mess.

Temporary, biological/soul life is mysterious, death of biological/soul is less so.

With complex humans access to metaphysical-1, mind/intellect/concept, we reach the pinnacle of I-verse consideration.

The I-verse and the biological/soul as integral physical-2 spirit patterning, is temporary.

An I-verse cannot exist without the other two, but the other two, can exist without an I-verse.

Experience precedes access to metaphysical-1, mind/intellect/concept.

Experience is an integral set of three occupied space phenomena, within overall environmental, 4th as the background set.

...background....(OO)...background......

r6
Rr6 wrote:Disintegration of any parts that previously co-functioned as human. Bowels and bladder release their contained waste.
Depending or circumstances some parts--- bone/calcium --may disintegrate for millions of years.
With rational, logical common sense, we can deduce, that, the I-verse ceases to exist. This loss of I-verse is much more completes than sleeping or coma. Deep sleep may be the best analogy, as stated early on.
Of course with sleeping or coma there is the opportunity for I-verse consciousness occurring, that, is recalled later. Not so with death.
So, no one really knows--- beyond what is stated above ---as was stated early on in this thread.
If we think of biological life being higher frequency set of events, then we may say, that, death is lower frequency set events, at best.
r6
Socrates Tea

Post by Socrates Tea »

What happens when we die?

According to some theologians, we get what we loved in this life but it is a perfected experience.

If you loved chocolate, you get chocolate.

If you love murder, well...

But if you loved talking to God then the experience is perfected and you talk to him face to face forever - and, yeah, he can grant ain infinite number of wishes, as an all powerful friend is a good friend to have :)
Rr6

Post by Rr6 »

Socrates Tea wrote:But if you loved talking to God....
You may spend eternity in a mental institution with others who loved talking to some non-existent concept called God. imho

r6
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

After you die you are back where you started, and the process repeats itself....
Rr6

Post by Rr6 »

So now some are suggesting a hpothisis based on the Bill Murray movie "Ground Hog Day" where every day starts the same once he dies.

If I started in hospital by the river I will restart my life as r6 there once again. Believe that one and some around here will tell you some more ideas based on movie good movie scripts. :)

r6

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream