Higgs Boson Particle

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Xris

Re: Higgs Boson Particle

Post by Xris »

Stormy wrote:I believe that all things are possible. "That not all that counts can be counted, and that not all that can be counted counts." I guess.
The flying spaghetti monster has it devotees but I doubt many would find reason to speculate on its philosophical value in such an enamoured manner.
Grecorivera5150
Favorite Philosopher: Bruce Lee

Post by Grecorivera5150 »

LOL, Xris You obviously have not been to the the philosophy section at Books a Million lately. 1 small section about 1/16th the size of the Christian living section and half of the books are like ;Philosophy of Spiderman, Philosophy of Batman, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings ect ect.

You can write an epic tale about the spaghetti monster and his struggle to transcend the evil meatball monster that has kept is subjugated for and oppressed. The tale will record the likely create a school of thought based on hybrid of stoicism and individualism where in each individual had no choice but to pursue its own liberty.

So I am certainly feeling what your saying xris , we do have a tendency to become energized to an ecstatic level when we see an opportunity to impose our will on reality. This is when s*%t usually gets out of control.

It looks like the special on PBS tonight on Higgs Bosan is trying to co-opt Plato's Theory of Forms into there theories by saying particles are a reflection of a hologram.
Xris

Post by Xris »

From a layman's perspective all the talk about this particle sounds total nonsense. "It is a particle, a field". "An energy field that is every where and we need it to create mass"."Once they are created they disappear or change into particles we understand". "It may be one of five Haggis particles we are not sure". I expect this double talk from politicians but not from scientists. Those who interview them meekly accept their explanations incapable of critical examination. Can or should we have earned intelligent opposition to these expensive claims? Do we know if there is a scientific argument against these amazing claims? I fear for science, it has been kidnapped by theoretical scientists in the last 100 odd years and we all accept their claims as if it was the word of god. I know there is academic opposition to the BB , black holes, dark matter but who has ever heard of this opposition in the wider community. They have TV programmes, books, interviews all proclaiming the certainty of them and now we have another miracle of theoretical science to add to them. To be honest they have been looking for so long to admit failure would be like the Pope declaring god is illusion.
Bermudj

Post by Bermudj »

Joe Hubris wrote:
I'm sorry, Scott, I referred to you as "Steve". Please forgive me.
I know this is not my call, but you are forgiven :) If you ask for forgiveness for having mistaken a person's name, well you deserve a medal.

-- Updated July 18th, 2012, 4:23 pm to add the following --
Xris wrote:... that follow from this strange concept has to be asked. What keeps this god particle together? What gives it the mass to examine? Is there another allusive particle waiting to be found or is it a concept beyond redemption.
Yes I suspect that they will have to carry on looking for other particles.
Do whatever you do, do what a good man would do, and what is a good man?, I do not know, but at every point, every turn, do what a good man would do.

Jesús Antonio Bermúdez-Silva
Pimp

Post by Pimp »

What a bunch of crock this whole Higgs Boson nonsense is. This, to me, is just yet another testament of how arrogant science is. There are actually people out there who think we can fully understand our reality. Our brains lie to us in many ways. Before LHC went online, I remember reading about how they were expecting to find the HB in the first few days. Now it is years later and still nothing. If you notice, they never actually said they found the HB. Just something that might be similar. My best guess is that they wanted some more funding so they blew the whistle and said they might have found something. Other scientific organizations have done the same thing in the past.
Wanderer101

Post by Wanderer101 »

For Grecorivera5150 I am glad you brought this topic up! I have a lot of questions and concerns about the Higgs particle. Good topic.

For Poster,
The geological record shows evidence of no less than seven extinction-level events in Earth's distant past. It is most likely a question of when, not if, another comet from the Oort Cloud intersects with earth's orbit right about the time our planet is in its path. If 1000 years from now--thanks to research set in motion today--we can shoot a "Higgs beam" at the comet to reduce its mass and thereby deflect its orbit, then our descendents will still have a reason to figure out how to feed hungry children and treat sick people.
Good point Poster. I am certain we will need to contend with Nemisis or some Nemisis like celetial object sooner or later. I don't think a Higgs beam will help us though. I am thinking more along the lines of colocation. Which of course means we will have to develop faster than light travel. In the least we should be working on somesort of Nasa funded program that develops a delection technology so that we can guide these dangerous objects into the sun or away from Earth.

Now I have a few general questions for any one who cares to answer them. First of all it has been extremely difficult to find the Higgs Particle only 600 detections in 16 trillion tries. Where is this supposed Higgs field located? I heard that it is supposed to be everywhere like hypothetical ether of olden times. How come this field is undetectable?

I am also very curious about the Higgs role in creatin gravity. The model I heard about sounds very shaky to say the least. Does anyone have some insights as to how the Higgs imparts mass to all the other particles?
Xris

Post by Xris »

Particle theorists have been denying the existence of any such aether for years but now it becomes an essential consequence of this strange particle that is a not a particle. It may be hiding down that rabbit hole Alice discovered."Another cup of tea before they chop your head off"
Wayne92587
Favorite Philosopher: Hermese Trismegistus

Post by Wayne92587 »

A particle may have been found that has been referred as being the Higgs Boson Particle; however the particle found is not the same particle which here-to-fore had been thought of as being the Higgs Boson Particle, is not the Higgs Boson Particle.

The existence or the none existence of the called Higgs Boson Particle is and always will be uncertain; the God Particle, the Particle know as the Prime Mover does not itself Move, is an Unmoved Mover, meaning that both the God Particle and the State or Condition in which it existed prior to the moment of the Creation of the Reality of First Cause, where each Infinite it their own right, the Individual Particle being an Infinitely Finite Indivisible Singularity, with the State or Condition, the Quantum State of Singularity being an Infinitely Large, Indivisible Singularity; the motion of and within Singularity being meaningless, being negligible, innate, existing without displacement, without angular momentum, without velocity of speed and direction; the Infinitely Finite Indivisible Singularity, the God Particle and the Infinitely Large Undifferentiated Whole of the State or Condition, the Steady, Static, Quantum State of Singularity allowing for an Untold number of Infinitely Finite Indivisible Singularities to exist with none having relative value, the Whole of Reality, the Infinitively Finite and the Infinitely Large existing without numerical value, having a numerical value of Zero-O, prior to the moment of Creation of the Creation of the Reality of First Cause, which being the First Singularity to have relative value, to have a numerical value of One-1; a Singularity of One-1 being the first in a series, the beginning of continuum such as Space-Time, the beginning of a process such as the Evolutionary Process, the beginning of the System of Chaos that has made Manifest the Heavens and the Earth, the Universe, the Reality of Everything.
Xris

Post by Xris »

You have nailed it, we have to believe, have the faith. Believe in a series of concepts, unproven, to even start to believe in this godly particle. I find it distressing that so much of science hangs on faith.
Wayne92587

Post by Wayne92587 »

The Reality of First Cause, the First Singularity to have relative value, to have a numerical value of One-1 being born of the Eternal Reality of the Steady, Static, Quantum State of Singularity in which existed an untold number of Infinitely Finite Indivisible Singularities with none being relative to another, none having Numerical value, none being measurable as to location and momentum in Space. The Physical Universe, the Reality of Heavens and the Earth, the Reality of Everything that exists in the material sense of the word began to exist as a result of the Creation of the Reality of First Cause; the First Singularity to have relative value, a numerical value of One-1; the Reality of First Cause coming into existence as the result of a Singularity having no relative value, having a numerical value of Zero-O being Thrust in to the Lime Light, being made readily apparent as a result of the affect upon the negligible innate Way, Spirit, Nature, of the Passion, motion, of an Infinitely Finite Indivisible Singularity here-to-fore having no relative value, having a numerical value of Zero-O.

Although negligible, being liken to the flapping of a butter flies wings, the affect of being made readily apparent, of being thrust into the Lime Light, having a profound affect, without physical change, upon the relativity, the Numerical value of a Singularity of Zero-O; a Singularity of Zero-O being transfigured, converted, transformed, into a Singularity having relative value, having a numerical value of One-1, into the Reality of First Cause; the Realty of First Cause, as a matter of fact, being the direct cause of the System of Chaos that has made manifest the Material Reality of the Heavens and the Earth, the physical Reality of the Universe, the Material Reality of Everything as we know it to be.

The meaningless, the Negligible innate Passion, Way, Spirit, Nature of the Motion of an Infinitely Finite Indivisible Singularity alone in the Emptiness of Infinite Space, of the Motion of a Primary Mover, existing without displacement, without angular momentum, without speed and direction; a Singularity alone in the Emptiness not being measurable as to location and momentum in Space rendering the existence or the non-existence of a Singularity, of the Prime Mover, to be Uncertain.
Bermudj

Post by Bermudj »

Wayne92587 wrote:The Reality of First Cause, the First Singularity to have relative value, to have a numerical value of One-1 being born of the Eternal Reality of the Steady, Static, Quantum State of Singularity in which existed an untold number of Infinitely Finite Indivisible Singularities with none being relative to another, none having Numerical value, none being measurable as to location and momentum in Space. The Physical Universe, the Reality of Heavens and the Earth, the Reality of Everything that exists in the material sense of the word began to exist as a result of the Creation of the Reality of First Cause; the First Singularity to have relative value, a numerical value of One-1; the Reality of First Cause coming into existence as the result of a Singularity having no relative value, having a numerical value of Zero-O being Thrust in to the Lime Light, being made readily apparent as a result of the affect upon the negligible innate Way, Spirit, Nature, of the Passion, motion, of an Infinitely Finite Indivisible Singularity here-to-fore having no relative value, having a numerical value of Zero-O.

Although negligible, being liken to the flapping of a butter flies wings, the affect of being made readily apparent, of being thrust into the Lime Light, having a profound affect, without physical change, upon the relativity, the Numerical value of a Singularity of Zero-O; a Singularity of Zero-O being transfigured, converted, transformed, into a Singularity having relative value, having a numerical value of One-1, into the Reality of First Cause; the Realty of First Cause, as a matter of fact, being the direct cause of the System of Chaos that has made manifest the Material Reality of the Heavens and the Earth, the physical Reality of the Universe, the Material Reality of Everything as we know it to be.

The meaningless, the Negligible innate Passion, Way, Spirit, Nature of the Motion of an Infinitely Finite Indivisible Singularity alone in the Emptiness of Infinite Space, of the Motion of a Primary Mover, existing without displacement, without angular momentum, without speed and direction; a Singularity alone in the Emptiness not being measurable as to location and momentum in Space rendering the existence or the non-existence of a Singularity, of the Prime Mover, to be Uncertain.
What shall I conclude from this? Could you reply with only one sentence.
Do whatever you do, do what a good man would do, and what is a good man?, I do not know, but at every point, every turn, do what a good man would do.

Jesús Antonio Bermúdez-Silva
Xris

Post by Xris »

Bermudj I don't think you will get an answer that you can actually reply to.
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Hey, a party before graduation, and more beer will be needed!

It would be more honorable for mankind to address the needs of fellow humans before squandering resources to chase after what will take hundreds of years if not more time to understand, if ever. Whatever mankind discovers I am sure it will fit within God's creation. War, illnesses, hunger, on and on -- surely we have enough infomation about the heavens to know better than ignore the obvious on earth.
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.
Wayne92587

Post by Wayne92587 »

Conclusion;

At the Moment of the Creation of the Reality of First Cause, the Possibility of the Existence of the Heavens and the Earth, the Physical Universe, the Material World of Reality, the Material Reality of Everything as we know it to be, was by design, Predetermined to come into existence, became a matter of Fact
Xris

Post by Xris »

Wayne92587 wrote:Conclusion;

At the Moment of the Creation of the Reality of First Cause, the Possibility of the Existence of the Heavens and the Earth, the Physical Universe, the Material World of Reality, the Material Reality of Everything as we know it to be, was by design, Predetermined to come into existence, became a matter of Fact
What moment of creation? Has it a name? Who predetermined everything? Is it relevant to the question of the Higgs Boson particle?

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream