Ignorance vs. Wisdom

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Quizzical18

Ignorance vs. Wisdom

Post by Quizzical18 » September 16th, 2012, 3:45 pm

We've all heard the phrase "Ignorance is bliss". That can be a valid statement if the ignorance is not harming you but if that phrase is true, then what is the point of finding wisdom (especially when that wisdom takes you out of the "Ignorant comfort zone" and into a harsher reality)? Is blissful ignorance really better than the inconvenient truth? If so, then why are we trying to find it? What's the goal? Why should we try to know if not knowing is better? :?

Simply Wee
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Re: Ignorance vs. Wisdom

Post by Simply Wee » September 16th, 2012, 4:40 pm

It's good to know, but it's better to know better...That is wisdom..I guess.
"Men are not disturbed by things, but the view they take of things".

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Philosopher: Diogenes the Cynic

Post by Scott » September 16th, 2012, 5:11 pm

There is a big difference between ignorence is bliss as opposed to ignorance can be bliss in particular circumstances.
Online Philosophy Club - Please tell me how to improve this website!

Check it out: Abortion - Not as diametrically divisive as often thought?

XDredg3

Post by XDredg3 » September 16th, 2012, 6:39 pm

Quizzical18 wrote:We've all heard the phrase "Ignorance is bliss". That can be a valid statement if the ignorance is not harming you but if that phrase is true, then what is the point of finding wisdom (especially when that wisdom takes you out of the "Ignorant comfort zone" and into a harsher reality)? Is blissful ignorance really better than the inconvenient truth? If so, then why are we trying to find it? What's the goal? Why should we try to know if not knowing is better? :?

I believe we find it to obtain the harsher reality, to then later adapt to it. Maybe if we can find the wisdom it can better the evolution of our species. It is 1 of the basic human instincts, programmed in our wiring.
What can we do to better our survival and species, it's something we must do.
"Reflect and meditate on this teaching."

Grecorivera5150
Favorite Philosopher: Bruce Lee

Post by Grecorivera5150 » September 21st, 2012, 3:20 pm

http://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums/ ... f=6&t=6790

This is a link to a discussion on the topic of Ignorance is Bliss from the Philosopher's lounge.

Unsay

Post by Unsay » September 21st, 2012, 3:23 pm

Ignoadvance Vs. Wisdumb

Julio_sanchez

Post by Julio_sanchez » October 11th, 2012, 8:53 am

I believe that ignorance can be bliss, but only in the sense of seeing it. Only so for the individual who can see the ignorant person. That is to say the ignorant person may not know that they are ignorant and not believe they are in a blissfull state. As they may be ignorant to your knowledge but not to their own which may cause them to believe that they are not ignorant at all, so they are not at bliss. Every person has a different level of knowledge and understanding, so really where does the ignorance end?

Spiral Out
Site Admin

Post by Spiral Out » October 11th, 2012, 9:32 am

Julio_sanchez wrote:As they may be ignorant to your knowledge but not to their own which may cause them to believe that they are not ignorant at all, so they are not at bliss. Every person has a different level of knowledge and understanding, so really where does the ignorance end?
I can appreciate the relativistic nature of Julio_sanchez's thought. Also, there is a significant difference between unintentional ignorance and intentional ignorance. One has an inherent ability for elemental bliss, the other does not.
Dedicated to the fine art of thinking.

Thinkingcat

Post by Thinkingcat » October 11th, 2012, 4:24 pm

Ignorance is only bliss if you are also ignorant of your ignorance, and that is not something that you can choose to be.

For example if it occurs to you that you are ignorant of philosophy, this may make you feel dissatisfied unless you take steps to learn about it, in the hope that whatever pain that causes you will be less than the dissatisfaction of ignorance.

Whereas if it never occurs to you that you are ignorant of philosophy (i.e. you are ignorant of your ignorance), you cannot feel dissatisfied about your ignorance, and may be perfectly happy in that state.

But you cannot choose for something not to occur to you.

HANDSON

Post by HANDSON » October 11th, 2012, 5:22 pm

Does one really have the capacity to be intentionally ignorant? A cogent mind can intentionally avoid knowledge up to a point, but knowingly avoiding knowledge is like putting one's head in the sand and can't provide a sustainable blissful state.

Even those ignorant of their ignorance (thanks thinkingcat) will be unlikely to maintain a blissful state due to the fact the depth of that lack of cognitive function makes them incapable of dealing with the common difficulties everyone experiences on a daily basis.

Most of us seek to know because curiosity is the nature of the human animal. There is no question much of what we find or will find will be unpleasant/cause discomforts but essentially we have no other choice.
Belief is truth to the believer.

The Truth

Post by The Truth » October 12th, 2012, 12:10 am

Like ignorance, indifference is also bliss. Like ignorance, it cannot be self-imposed, but unlike ignorance, being aware of one's indifference, is no impediment to its bliss.

Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Post by Spectrum » October 12th, 2012, 2:51 am

I would prefer to know whatever knowledge and wisdom there is to know, then therefrom, "ignore" whatever is useless to maintain equanimity.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.

The Truth

Post by The Truth » October 12th, 2012, 9:29 am

After further thought, it is not ignorance that is bliss at all. In truth, we may all be ignorant, but our ignorance does not bring us bliss. In the end there are three sources of bliss, indifference to what is or will be, faith in what is or will be, and acceptance of what is or will be.

If ignorance were truly bliss, we would all be in Nirvana.

Spiral Out
Site Admin

Post by Spiral Out » October 13th, 2012, 9:53 pm

The Truth wrote:In the end there are three sources of bliss, indifference to what is or will be, faith in what is or will be, and acceptance of what is or will be.
I can appreciate and agree with this statement except for the inclusion of faith in that it seems to be a mutually exclusive concept to indifference and acceptance. Faith, it seems, will let you down all too often in unrealized expectations.
Dedicated to the fine art of thinking.

The Truth

Post by The Truth » October 14th, 2012, 11:15 am

Spiral Out wrote: I can appreciate and agree with this statement except for the inclusion of faith
Faith is as close as one can get to self-imposed ignorance.

When it comes to obtaining bliss in the context of harsh reality, one has three choices. Indifference, acceptance, or as Adam Savage might say, "I reject your reality and substitute my own."