Is morality objective or subjective?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Felix

Re: Is morality objective or subjective?

Post by Felix »

Not only did Hume think one could not get an Ought from an Is, he didn't think one could get anything else from an Is except more Is'es. He said there are only two types of knowledge: (1) That which deals with abstractions and does not involve judgements about matters of fact or real existence, i.e., mathematics and the science of logic, and (2) That which deals with particular or general facts, i.e., the natural and physical sciences. He said all else was "sophistry and illusion." (Maybe we should rename this forum the "sophistry and illusion club"? ... nah, that sounds like a forum for magicians.)

He also asserted that, (a) the ideas in our mind are the only objects we directly apprehend, and (b) we can have knowledge of a reality independent of our minds. Apparently he did not see the contradiction in those two statements, they are about as well thought out as his "no ought from is" premise.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Thanks for the information. I'm sure some of us didn't know it already.

If your aim is to discredit all of Hume's ideas by pointing out that some of them were mistaken - products of his time and culture - then, bravo.

Now show how a value judgement can be conclusively deduced from a fact - or how a value judgement can be a fact - if that's what you believe - I'm not sure. Because that's the crux here. Time to put your money down, perhaps.

I note you'e no longer promoting Aristotle's mistake over the fact-value distinction.
Felix

Post by Felix »

You must have missed it, Peter, in my post of 7-18, I said that Mortimer Adler explains in his essay (link below) how an Is can give birth to an Ought (without a C section) better than I could ever hope to:

http://selfeducatedamerican.com/2015/01 ... scriptive/

If you'd like to explain in what way he is mistaken, please do, but I'd say that Hume lost the argument. I guess he never directly apprehended the idea of prescriptive truth either in or independently of his mind. :)
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Thanks, but Adler doesn't show that an is can be an ought, nor that an ought ever necessarily follows from an is. Perhaps I missed it - but if all you can do is say - 'what Adler says' - there's nothing to see there.

If you can't show how a value judgement can be, or be necessarily deduced from, a fact, I don't understand why you believe it can.

And you still haven't given an example of a prescriptive truth that isn't a falsifiable factual assertion - which, by the way, is a linguistic expression. Actual words. No point claiming such things exist - because I'm sure they don't, or rather can't, so I have no reason to believe you or Aristotle.

Please - no more evasion. Time to put your money down. Clinch the argument, and I'll have to re-think my position.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Peter Holmes: Adler doesn't show that an ought ever necessarily follows from an is.
Yes, he does.
Perhaps I missed it.
How convenient, because it refutes your argument.
If you can't show how a value judgement can be, or be necessarily deduced from, a fact, I don't understand why you believe it can.
Practical or prescriptive reasoning does not rely upon factual knowledge alone.
you still haven't given an example of a prescriptive truth that isn't a falsifiable factual assertion
Example: Knowledge is good, therefore we should seek to have it.
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

'Knowledge is good' is a value judgement. I assume you agree. Do you think it possible that, in a certain situation, knowledge may not be good? Do you think the claim 'knowledge is good' is a falsifiable factual assertion - that it has a truth value? Is the claim 'knowledge is good' independent of judgement, belief or opinion? What is it that objectively justifies the claim?

Is the word 'good' here being used as in 'food is good' or 'health is good' or 'happiness is good'? If so, what is the criterion for 'goodness' of this kind? And is that criterion factual, or a matter of judgement? Or does the word 'good' here mean morally good?

Is the claim 'we should seek knowledge because it is good' a value judgement or a falsifiable factual assertion? Is the criterion for claiming that we should seek what is good for us an objective thing, or is this a matter of judgement?

How about this?
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

'Knowledge is good' is a value judgement. I assume you agree. But you and Aristotle call it a prescriptive truth - an assertion with a truth value. What is it that verifies it? Do you think it's falsifiable? Is it possible for knowledge not to be good?

Is the word 'good' here being used as in 'food is good' or 'health is good' or 'happiness is good'? If so, what is the criterion for 'goodness' of this kind? And is that criterion factual, or a matter of judgement? Or does the word 'good' here mean morally good?

Is the claim 'we should seek knowledge because it is good' a value judgement or a falsifiable factual assertion?

How about: Ignorance is bliss, therefore we should seek it?
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Sorry - I managed to post the first draft. Please ignore it.

One other point. Is knowledge of how to make an IED to kill people good?
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Felix

To spell out the problems.

1 'Knowledge is good, therefore we should seek it' is two separate value judgements. Any arguments deployed to justify them rest on more value judgements - why any criterion is correct is a judgement. We're not dealing with objectivity (independence from judgement), truth or fact. Another example of this delusion is 'this god is a maximally great being' - as though 'the great' or 'greatness' are value-free.

2 Is the 'is' in 'knowledge is good' the 'is' of identity or the 'is' of predication? If it's the 'is' of identity, what is the 'good'? Aristotle never escaped Platonism, and nor did Kant - and nor does Adler. But if it's the 'is' of predication, what is the meaning of 'good'? Is what is good an objective property? And is there equivocation on 'good' between its non-moral and moral uses?

3 What is 'knowledge' - another Platonic form?

It's rational to want a foundation for what we believe, including for our moral values and beliefs. And that we have to build and repair our own foundations doesn't mean the edifice has to be shaky.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Knowledge is good' is a value judgement. I assume you agree. But you and Aristotle call it a prescriptive truth - an assertion with a truth value. What is it that verifies it?
A prescriptive truth is a factual assertion (about human nature, in the case of moral injunctions) that is founded on a self-evident premise or injunction.

In the case of moral prescriptive truths, the self-evident injunction is: We ought to desire - seek and acquire - that which is really good for us. This premise is self evident because we cannot logically assert that the reverse of it is true, i.e., that we ought to desire that which is really bad for us, or that we ought not to desire that which is really good for us.

Starting with this self-evident premise, a factual assertion about human nature is made. If the initial premise is true, and the statement about human nature based on it is also true (beyond a reasonable doubt), than the prescriptive conclusion is true.
Do you think it's falsifiable? (e.g., the premise that knowledge is good)
As I said, it's based on a self-evident premise. You may be able to find an instance where knowledge is not a real good, say a human being raised by wolves who is happy and productive, but it's unlikely.
Is it possible for knowledge not to be good?
Man by nature desires to know and all human beings need knowledge. What they do with it is a separate (but related) question, but I would suspect that those who subscribe to your theory of moral relativism would have less compunction about misusing it.
Is the word 'good' here being used as in 'food is good' or 'health is good' or 'happiness is good'? If so, what is the criterion for 'goodness' of this kind? And is that criterion factual, or a matter of judgement?
As I indicated earlier, it's based on the distinction between real and apparent goods. Real goods, such as knowledge, accommodate universal human needs and desires whereas apparent goods do not, they are based on more subjective judgments.
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Thanks, but you're merely repeating the argument without addressing the problems I've pointed out. Why should we seek that which is good for us? Is that a fact (a true factual assertion) or a judgement? What makes it self-evident? And what is this 'good' that is good for us? Is that self-evident? What criteria apply here? And are they objective, or matters of judgement?

I know this confusion is a deep. Can you specifically address the three problems I've pointed out? If you can show a falsifiable factual foundation - independent of judgement - then it's game on.
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Felix

By what criterion is what is really good for us distinguished from what is only apparently good for us? Is that criterion objective, or a matter of judgement.

If there could be a situation in which knowledge is not good - and it's easy to imagine many - and you concede that possibility, what price the factual truth of 'knowledge is good'? Are you saying 'some knowledge is good', or 'knowledge is usually good'? And by what criterion is good knowledge distinguishable from not-good knowledge? Is that criterion objective or a matter of judgement?
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Felix

Sorry about the typos. I'm rushing to find a way to explain this, but I apologise for them.

Do you agree with the following?

'Everyone needs food' is a fact - a true factual assertion. But 'everyone should have food' and 'everyone should seek food' are judgements, not facts. And there's no deductive (logical) route from the fact to the judgements.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Peter Holmes: Do you agree with the following? - 'Everyone needs food' is a fact - a true factual assertion. But 'everyone should have food' and 'everyone should seek food' are judgements, not facts. And there's no deductive (logical) route from the fact to the judgements.
Why would I agree with that?, it's completely illogical. When you experience the fact that you are hungry, you cannot deduce that you should eat? And you cannot logically deduce that other human beings have that same need? This is a self-evident proposition and the basis for reaching the prescriptive conclusion that all people should have the right to seek and have food.

What moral code would you prefer, "every man for himself and the Devil take the hindmost"? Do you think that would be a more reasonable prescription for a healthy and productive life and harmonious society?
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Peter Holmes wrote:
'Everyone needs food' is a fact - a true factual assertion. But 'everyone should have food' and 'everyone should seek food' are judgements, not facts. And there's no deductive (logical) route from the fact to the judgements.
That's true as it stands. But if you are judging all 3 claims by the criterion " Men are ruled by their nature as human beings" then you need to include that human nature includes sympathy.

Peter, maybe you are basing your stated difference between factual and moral judgements upon the forms of language, the structure of sentences.
Maybe if you had written :

"Everyone needs food"

"Everyone needs to have food"

" Everyone needs to seek food"

then you would see that there is no difference between moral and factual judgements, except that moral and factual judgements are traditionally constricted and are subject to linguistic determinism that pervades how we frame claims.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream