The Necessity of Moral Realism (Moral Objectivism)

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Dachshund

Re: THE NECESSITY OF MORAL REALISM (MORAL OBJECTIVISM)

Post by Dachshund »

Eduk,

In answer to your query, a moral truth "looks" like tis... It is a moral proposition that is an absolute ( non-contingent, necessary) and universally valid statement of fact. The statement, "It is wrong for human beings to intentionally inflict material suffering on an animal for amusement, recreation or in the name of "sport"" is, for instance, a legitimate example of a an objective moral truth. If you disagree, you are mistaken.

Regards

Dachshund
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

I think your reply is a demonstration that you aren't a conscious agent, in which case you could deliberately harm an animal without moral judgement.
Unknown means unknown.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Dachshund wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 5:03 am I am, at the moment only interested in knowing whether or not you would agree that it is TRUE that the infliction of suffering on animals for amusement, recreation or in the name of sport ( e.g. "blood sports" like fox hunting) is morally wrong.

Yes or No ?

If you say "Yes", I am pointing out that you are necessarily a moral realist ( moral objectivist). (NB: Many members of this form are staunch moral relativists or moral skeptics; IMO, however, these are false ethical theories).

Regards

Dachshund
Under normal circmustances it is true. Under extreme - hopefully mostly hypothetical - circumstances it is not true. If there is an imaginable exception to the statement not given in the OP then it is false. If you value the life of humans more than animals then given the option of torturing an animal for at least 5 minutes or having 10,000 children repeatedly raped for a year I would say it is my moral obligation, from my perspective, to torture the animal for 5 mins - I’d even torture it for an extra 5, 10 or 15 mins just to be sure there was no possibility of questioning whether I’d reached the 5 minute limit.

What I cannot deny is I have a sense of what is “right” and “wrong” and because of this I necessarily question any objective claim to what is “right” or “wrong” in complex circumstances. Even then I act and speak out according to what I believe is “best” even when I know I could be causing more harm then necessary (which I likley am - such is life.)

Confusing “wrong” and “right” with “true” and “false” is very easy done. We certainly act as if some moral choices are undenibly “right” or “wrong.” Our empathic nature keeps us in check and our rational capacity allows us to question our true intentions and willingly explore the grey areas of some previously held moral assumptions.
AKA badgerjelly
Dachshund

Post by Dachshund »

How exactly does my reply demonstrate that I am not a conscious agent. Such a claim is frankly bizarre, it is, self evidently, nothing less that patently absurd, ludicrous and irrational nonsense.

On what planet do you live, Eduk?
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Daschund if you disagree, you are wrong.
Unknown means unknown.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Eduk wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 10:26 am
I think there are moral truths out there waiting for us to approach them.
I almost entirely agree with your post Chewy, except the above quote.
What would a moral truth look like and how could you test for one? Can you give examples of anything closer to or further away from a moral truth, and how do you prove this?
Not trying to have an argument by the way, just interested in what you have to say.
I can.

(1) Murdering a stranger and taking their possession is worse than (2) Stealing food to feed a starving child.

Now is one closer to a moral truth than the other even though it’s generally deemed “worse?” Absolutely not, but if one act can be seen as worse than another then it is also possible for a nuanced scenario to throw up easier answers than others.

For example:

(A) It is morally wrong to kill people.

(B) It is morally wrong to lie.

The weight of these is dependant upon the circmustances. Killing can be justified under some circumstances (self-defense for example) whilst lying too can be justified if the intent is to protect and/or teach someone something, as part of a game or as a means of theatre. Also, killing someone doesn’t teach them much!

So I say that (A) is more morally objective than (B). You may disagree and if you do I’d love to hear why.
AKA badgerjelly
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

I don't agree that that is objective BG. It requires personal feelings. For example a rock cannot distinguish between murder and a stubbed toe.
Unknown means unknown.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Eduk wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 1:45 pm I don't agree that that is objective BG. It requires personal feelings. For example a rock cannot distinguish between murder and a stubbed toe.
If we’re talking about morality “feelings” are a given? I think we’ve got a confusion of terms here.

I am not saying we have a universal measure of morality. I am saying that we apply moral weight to some things more than others. The “feelings” of rocks don’t fall into the moral category. What does a rock have to do with what I just said?

I was referring especially to this part:
Can you give examples of anything closer to or further away from a moral truth, and how do you prove this?
Sorry, I forgot to highlight it :?

People are not happy about suffering (some enjoy pain but that is different.) That is a true statement. How we go about avoiding personal suffering is another thing all together. We make bargains with ourselves to accept some degree of suffering if the long term pay-off is deemed as a net boon. The objective goal of the morally inclined person is to suffer as little as possible and reap what pleases them as best as they can.

We believe in “right” and “wrong” because it helps us cope with, and actually avoid, needless suffering. Those that don’t fall into a self-destructive spiral and tend to suck anyone in their immediate surroundings into their own personal little nihiistic hell (partly or otherwise.)
AKA badgerjelly
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

If we’re talking about morality “feelings” are a given? I think we’ve got a confusion of terms here.
Yes I agree feelings are a given. I was seeing the term 'moral truth' as something which would be required to be objectively true. Or is there a definition of moral truth which is purely subjective?
Unknown means unknown.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Dachshund,

If we are in agreement that it is wrong for human beings to intentionally inflict material suffering on an animal for amusement, recreation or in the name of sport, then what is the necessity of moral realism?

It is clear that our agreement is not universally held. Your claim is that if anyone does not agree then they are wrong. But this does not demonstrate the necessity of moral realism. It is, rather, your moral judgment, one you think everyone should hold.

You claim it is self-evident but it is evident that it is not, otherwise there would be the kind of universal agreement you claim exists but does not in fact exist.

The term ‘self evident’ is thrown around but what does it mean? Descartes’ existence was self-evident because logically it could not be true that he did not exist. The Declaration of Independence says:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
But you have declared that all men are not created equal. What is a self-evident truth if it is not self-evident? Note that the claim is not simply that these are self-evident truths but that they hold them to be self-evident, that is, they need no further evidence or explanation to be convinced of their truth. They were well aware that not everyone held these to be self-evident truths.

An affirmation is not a demonstration of necessity. There is nothing logically necessary about the claim that we should not cause animals to suffer for our amusement. Unlike the self-evidence of Descartes’ claim, there is nothing contradictory in holding that it is okay to cause animals to suffer for our amusement.
According to my reading of the relevant moral philosophy, if any ethical claim of the form, "X is right", or, "Y is wrong" is true, then morality is objective and moral realism is a correct thesis.
A moral relativist can consistently hold that it is true that X is right and Y is wrong without committing to an objective morality or moral realism. It is not a claim about what is true independent of human judgment, it is the conclusion of a human judgment. Human judgment is not infallible, or invariant, or necessarily true, it is socially and historically shaped. If you lived in the not too distant past you might have thought there was nothing wrong with treating animals this way, and if you lived in the not too distant future you might think it morally reprehensible to eat animals or make shoes and furniture from them. What would remain the same, however, is your absolute certainty in the truth of whatever it is you believe.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

chewybrian wrote:I would agree with you that INTENTIONAL infliction of harm for sport is wrong.
Are you sure this is what you mean? Or do you really mean that it is wrong to make the infliction of harm itself the object of the exercise?

If the above quoted sentence really is what you mean, then presumably you regard all forms of hunting, angling and shooting to be morally wrong? After all, in such sports the harm caused to the animals is not collateral damage. It is not accidental. It is intentional. But it is still not (necessarily) the object of the exercise. The object of the exercise is the thrill of the chase.

Similarly, if I eat a (nutritionally unnecessary) beefburger or decide to unnecessarily wear leather shoes, the animals killed for their meat and hides in those examples are not killed accidentally. The infliction of harm on them is intentional. But causing them harm is not the object of the exercise. The object of the exercise is the pleasant taste of meat or the comforts of leather shoes.

So if you really do believe that any intentional infliction of harm is wrong, then you must surely be a vegetarian?

Alternatively, as I've suggested, what you might actually be objecting to is specifically sadism - taking pleasure not in the pleasant products that result in deliberately inflicting harm on some of our fellow animals but in the harm itself.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Dachshund wrote:Eduk,

In answer to your query, a moral truth "looks" like tis... It is a moral proposition that is an absolute ( non-contingent, necessary) and universally valid statement of fact. The statement, "It is wrong for human beings to intentionally inflict material suffering on an animal for amusement, recreation or in the name of "sport"" is, for instance, a legitimate example of a an objective moral truth. If you disagree, you are mistaken.
If you think moral statements like your example here are non-contingent and necessary, then you presumably don't place them in the same category as empirical statements, such as "it is raining outside". You presumably see them as true by definition, such as "1 + 1 = 2" or "all mortals will eventually die".

This is presumably why you assert that Eduk is mistaken if he denies the truth of the statement "It is wrong for human beings to intentionally inflict material suffering on an animal for amusement, recreation or in the name of 'sport'". You presumably regard him as mistaken for the same reason as you would regard him as mistaken if he said "there is such a thing as a mortal who will live forever" or "1 + 1 = 3". i.e. you don't feel that you need to provide empirical evidence, because you wouldn't regard that as appropriate, since empirical evidence applies only to contingent truths. You just point to the definitions of the words he's using.

Yes?

Do you consider it to be a non-contingent necessary truth that the intentional infliction of suffering on other animals is morally wrong, even if the infliction of the suffering is not the point of the exercise? What if the person inflicting the suffering does so because he/she takes pleasure in some other product that arises as a result of the infliction of that suffering? Suppose it results in an exciting chase or a tasty burger. In that case, the person involved is not inflicting suffering because they enjoy inflicting suffering. They are doing so because they place the upside of their enjoyment of exciting chases or tasty burgers above the downside of the suffering of the animal.

What do you think of that scenario? Is it morally wrong for a person to value their own enjoyment above the suffering of other animals in this way?
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Steve3007 wrote: October 23rd, 2018, 5:00 am
chewybrian wrote:I would agree with you that INTENTIONAL infliction of harm for sport is wrong.
Are you sure this is what you mean? Or do you really mean that it is wrong to make the infliction of harm itself the object of the exercise?
Yes. But I also said that what I find to be wrong should not have much effect on what I want to be illegal.

If I want to keep my rights to go to the horse races, go fishing, or keep a dog as a pet (see: PETA), then I need to respect others' rights to hunt, fish, do rodeo events and such. There is a limit where we should outlaw some activities in my opinion, like dog fighting, and that is actually a pretty good standard to start drawing the line. Is the activity essentially about inflicting harm, or is the harm accidental, or necessary to use the animal for food? Say you are jumping your horse over obstacles. You are putting the horse and yourself at risk in the process, but it is not the objective to injure the horse.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Eduk wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 10:26 am
I think there are moral truths out there waiting for us to approach them.
I almost entirely agree with your post Chewy, except the above quote.
What would a moral truth look like and how could you test for one? Can you give examples of anything closer to or further away from a moral truth, and how do you prove this?
Not trying to have an argument by the way, just interested in what you have to say.
It is stoicism 101. Socrates said we only act immorally out of ignorance. This is not something you can work out in a proof, but it does make sense when you think about it. Stoics also believe that virtue is its own reward. If you accept this, then you might agree with Socrates and find no conflict between what you want and what is right, unless you are uninformed about all the possible consequences of your actions. In theory, if you had full knowledge, then you would naturally do the right thing all the time.

An anecdotal example might be cheating on a test in school. You could gain a short term advantage in a better grade, or even get a degree out of it. But, if you could have instead learned the information to pass the test, then you could have benefited from the knowledge. Perhaps you really only cheated yourself, as they say.

The stoics were also not at all big on imposing their own vision of morality onto others. They preferred instead to show their morality by example and hope others would see the benefit and adopt virtue on their own. There really isn't much percentage in trying to preach to others, eh?

It is possible to believe that there is moral truth, and that some ideas are closer or further away from it, yet to understand that we don't know for sure when we have found it. Everyone should be working toward it as best they are able, and we would make progress individually and collectively if we did. I can only give opinions, but how about:

Steal anything you want any way you can.
Don't hurt people as you steal their property.
Don't steal others' property.
Don't covet others' property.
Don't attach value to property.

BTW, the stoic ideal really was to attach no value to anything external to the will, which would include property (yours or others'). If you make good progress, then all incentive to rob someone would evaporate, as your virtue would have more value to you than anything you could steal. They would use property if they could do so without compromising their principles, but be ready to lose it as needed without emotional attachment. I know it sounds a little 'eastern', zen, whatever, but if you unlock your brain a bit, it does make some sense.

If you refuse to find value in anything that does not come in a proof or a formula, you are missing out, IMO. Of course, I am not talking about accepting some shaky religious principles, but rather the idea that you can choose, and that it is important how you choose, and that you will be happier if you try to do the right thing as you choose. The right thing is out there for you to try to find for yourself, but not for others.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

As I said to BG perhaps it is my own definition of moral truth which I am stumbling over? I saw moral truth as being akin to saying that something weighs 100kg (this is true whether I believe it or not and whether I exist or not) not akin to saying that 100kg is heavy (which may or may not be true depending on context and is necessary for me to provide context).
I can see objectivity in saying X will make someone happier (or less happy). This is testable (though sometimes very very difficult to test). But I can't prove that being happy is good (objectively).
If you refuse to find value in anything that does not come in a proof or a formula, you are missing out, IMO.
This doesn't follow from anything I've said. Believing morals to be subjective doesn't mean I don't value them. Asking you a question is not the same thing as disagreeing with out. Sometimes I just want to dig a little deeper even if I agree with you 99%. Sometimes I don't know if I agree with you or not and am asking for more information so I can decide. Sometimes I do actually disagree and use a question to help someone to see a different point of view. I rarely ask rhetorical questions.
Unknown means unknown.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream