Is life absurd

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Weight

Is life absurd

Post by Weight »

Is life absurd? Why or why not? Is there meaning to life? How can we create meaning if there is none to begin with? I am doing a study on Albert Camus and would like to hear your views on the subject and know if life is absurd or not. Thanks.
Theophane
Favorite Philosopher: C.S. Lewis

Re: Is life absurd

Post by Theophane »

Life does contain large swatches of absurdity, but if you are living inside the joke you may not be privy to it.
XavierAlex

Post by XavierAlex »

Please define "absurd"? It's been awhile since I've read The Stranger and The Myth of Sisyphus. I think if you begin to define it in some way, it would make things clearer. Absurdity, if I recall, is like Sisyphus triumphing over pushing the boulder up the hill. In the brief moments, when Sisyphus is walking down the hill to retrieve the boulder, he happily accepts his fate, because he is doomed for eternity to do so. I'm sure the Absurdist philosophy has many other angles, but that is what I remember most. And that The Stranger has a great beginning: "Maman died today, or was it yesterday..."
Discards
Favorite Philosopher: Hanuman

Post by Discards »

The meaning of life is suffering. Suffer well.
To be is to do. To do is to be. Do-be, do-be, do-be, do. - the philosophical importance of Scoobie-do is to Scoobie-be!
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

XavierAlex wrote:Please define "absurd"? It's been awhile since I've read The Stranger and The Myth of Sisyphus. I think if you begin to define it in some way, it would make things clearer. Absurdity, if I recall, is like Sisyphus triumphing over pushing the boulder up the hill. In the brief moments, when Sisyphus is walking down the hill to retrieve the boulder, he happily accepts his fate, because he is doomed for eternity to do so. I'm sure the Absurdist philosophy has many other angles, but that is what I remember most. And that The Stranger has a great beginning: "Maman died today, or was it yesterday..."
The 'absurd', as Camus conceives it if I understand him correctly, is best exemplified in L'Etranger when Mersault is alone in his cell, awaiting execution after rejecting the priest's remonstrations against his indifference to religion and personal salvation.

Looking at the stars, he feels the "sublime indifference of the universe" (If my memory serves me) and realizes the absurdity of the human condition; that they should ask what are to them the most profoundly important questions of a universe utterly incapable of supplying an answer in any form.
Theboombody
Favorite Philosopher: Diogenes the Cynic

Post by Theboombody »

Absolutely it's absurd. Absolutely it has meaning. I tend to view the world from Plato's point of view that our senses don't line up with reality, and that makes our lives absurd. I think life has meaning because we want it to, or because meaning is given to it. One or the other.

G-rated Shock Value - "No bad words. Just bad ideas."
G-rated Shock Value "No bad words. Just bad ideas."
Msl0012au
New Trial Member

Post by Msl0012au »

Life is absurd if you put the ontological cart before the epistemological horse, so to speak. That is, barring religious explanations (which even assuming the existence of God and an afterlife may still have their own ontological issues), it seems true that there is no inherent value in living a human life, at least not one provided independently of our existence in the world. And yet we do exist in the world, and human life is largely believed to have some value. So if instead of starting from a reductive ontological standpoint and finding no indication of the meaning of life, I begin with the knowledge that human life has meaning and search for indications of such in the world, I will find them. I see no reason to put the ontological account above the epistemological certainty.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow »

Agreed, Msl0012au. There are those who would say that the search for ontology can never step beyond the lived experience. As Hubert Dreyfuss (sp?) explaining Hiedegger put it: One can never "get behind" one's dasein. Prgamatists like Rorty would say that 'Being' (and all metaphysics) is simply pragmatics, as all of our language is. The will to 'Truth', if you will, is a pragmatic urgency reaching to the threshold of experience and inventing from the material world at hand, things 'beyond'. ANd ther eare others. For me, once the present moment is delivered from its interpretative morass, the sense of reality becomes more vivid, like Emerson's (a crank philosopher, but so what) transparent eyeball in his "Nature". Not that is can be laid bare in theory, but it is interesting and important.
Etrnge
New Trial Member

Post by Etrnge »

Among most of those researching or reading Camus, his views were quite interesting at the time and still to this day are very relevant. For example we naturally pose questions like "What is life" and "What is a life without reason". The main thing Camus did was not answer those questions directly, but rather address them from his resolutions. In an absurd world, he says in one of his main works 'The Myth of Sisyphus', he looks to the feeling of "absurd" as
"At any street corner the feeling of absurdity can strike any man in the face." (Camus)
The term "absurd" can be a bit tricky to exactly pinpoint down in a philosophical context, but the main description he gives is that the feeling of absurdity (Similar to Sartre's 'Nausea' in a way) occurs in all people when they cannot understand something and realize that there is nothing more than the point they themselves give to life. And during this process of thinking, humans give the things that are illogical, reasons because it is by nature that we have 'blindly' accepted aspects of life that we cannot understand.

The solution Camus gives, is to pave your way through society with the freedom we are born with. So, in a sense, anything that happens to us, whether it be death or living, we can ultimately choose the way we die and the way we live.

In conclusion, one could infer from his works and others such as Kirkegaard, Sartre and Nietzsche, that life indeed is absurd.
Wilson
Favorite Philosopher: Eric Hoffer

Post by Wilson »

If "absurd" means "inconsistent with logic", then life isn't absurd.

If "absurd" means "ridiculous" or "ludicrous" or "laughable", it's tied in with how people view it, and obviously some people think of life as absurd. Me, I don't think of life as ridiculous, even though it's ultimately meaningless in the grand scheme of things, so for me it isn't absurd.

If "absurd" means "the quality or condition of existing in a meaningless and irrational world" - as some dictionaries give as an alternate meaning - presumably because Camus and existentialists stated as such - then it by that definition is absurd.

So like so many other issues, it all depends on your definition, boring as that answer may be.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow »

I don't buy existential absurdity's Camuian defense, i.e., the absurd hero. It works if you are as detached as, say, Mearsault in The Stranger, but that weird disorientation just does not work for those in the real world. In the case of profound suffering, who is going to play happy Sisyphus?
Thumos11

Post by Thumos11 »

When I was a kid I watched a lot of Westerns and cop shows like Barretta. And I thought to myself--man those guys (sometimes gals) are the heroes. They went up against the bad guys in a gun fight, or a fist fight, (or in the case of Columbo for example) a mental fight, and they beat the bad guy, and they saved innocent people in distress. And now that I'm an adult who writes action/adventure stories where the hero, or in my case the heroine, has to spring into action to beat the bad guys, and generally save the day, I see things from a different perspective. I see the tragedy in it. In order for the hero to emerge as the victor in a gun fight, they have to be in the tragic circumstance of being in a gun fight with a destructive human being who has killed innocent people, and might prevail in killing them. In order for Columbo to emerge victorious in solving a crime, there is the tragedy that some usually innocent person has been murdered which prompts the investigation in the first place.

Of course in real life if someone were constantly trying to kill us no matter how many times we prevailed, and survived, and killed or vanquished the bad guy, we would think what a tragic, and absurd existence. You got all these bad, life threatening events constantly happening to you and possibly your loved ones, how horrible for you. But if it happens in a movie to John McClane, or Indiana Jones, or any number of nameless heroes played by Clint Eastwood in his younger days, we are made happy by the entertainment. In fact if there isn't enough action going on we start tuning out don't we? We're like man there's nothing happening, how boring is that? I want my money back. I thought this was an action movie. You see how that works? In one moment we root for the absurd and the tragic, and in another moment we are driven into existential crises because of the absurd and the tragic.

Now that I see the tragic side of all the action I took for granted as a kid, I feel drawn to create heroes who are going through some kind of existential crises, who are not mentally well, who are not in good, stable relationships, and are suffering with the same kinds of conditions that have caused some to hang themselves, or jump off a bridge. When the action happens, even though they kick ass and prevail (hey I gotta pay bills and give people what they are paying to see) you see them being rattled by the tragedy of the action. You feel and see the emotional toll it takes on them. Part of the reason why I do this is to answer the question for myself of how a hero deals with the absurdity of life. So far I like what I see.
Mysterio448

Post by Mysterio448 »

Is life absurd...compared to what? Besides life, what is there? From what frame of reference are you asking the question?
Rubenjameshg
New Trial Member

Post by Rubenjameshg »

Absurdity is a subjective judgement that a rational observer can make. I have concluded life is absurd.
Whythislife

Post by Whythislife »

At the relatively young age of 28 and a new comer to philosophy, I can only attempt to answer this question.

It has been absurd for me up to this point. I am almost 29 years old and have known intense suffering. Perhaps as I embark on my career and begin to positively impact others it will seem less absurd. I do not desire many material goods. I just want to live simply and ethically. Life seems to me like some type of intense trial. Sometimes I entertain the thought that our environment is a simulation. I have enjoyed learning more about the Simulation Theory proposed by professor Nick Bostrom of Oxford on a youtube video.

Mostly I am left with an empty feeling. I am left longing for something more out of this life. I have learned to embrace suffering because it has been so much a part of my life. The more I live the more I realize the absurdity of this existence.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream